Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread - Page 452 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 109Likes

post #13531 of 13550 Old 01-27-2016, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace54 View Post
The bright red power light can get annoying The ZT60 power light dims after about a minute when turned on the ST60s stays bright this can easily be fixed with scotch tape and black permanent marker

check picture not nearly as bright but can still be seen like the ZT light

Attachment 1214458
There's a product called LightDims for this that is well worth its low price.
nickfro likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13532 of 13550 Old 01-28-2016, 07:45 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace54 View Post
The bright red power light can get annoying The ZT60 power light dims after about a minute when turned on the ST60s stays bright this can easily be fixed with scotch tape and black permanent marker
Yes, Light Dims work great on lot of my devices, even in my cars....

Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Series3 & Premiere, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890, MX-780, R40, MX-450, MX-500 Remotes.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #13533 of 13550 Old 02-04-2016, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I recently came accross second hand TC-P55ST60. Is it advisable to buy 2-3 year old plasma?

This tv retailed for around $1,500, what would be a decent price for a used set?
Anything specific I should look for when I go to check it out, other than dead pixels?
is there a way to check how many hours its been watched through settings?
post #13534 of 13550 Old 02-04-2016, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by oraphus View Post
So I recently came accross second hand TC-P55ST60. Is it advisable to buy 2-3 year old plasma?

This tv retailed for around $1,500, what would be a decent price for a used set?
Anything specific I should look for when I go to check it out, other than dead pixels?
I'd check for uniformity. I've had three ST60 50's in my possession and all had some amount of pink discoloration on gray backgrounds. If you don't have a test pattern go to the Eco menu. The mostly grey background will show it. It's worse on gray but I would also see it in shots of the sky etc in normal content.
post #13535 of 13550 Old 02-04-2016, 07:14 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:
As long as the screen and filter and bezel etc are in acceptable condition, and the panel doesn't show any burn-in or issues it should otherwise be fine.

Quote:
It actually retailed for $1,295. That was the regular price Panasonic's online store, on Amazon, and at Best Buy from late summer to end of production in December. I kept waiting for a sale to occur but after a few months i ended up buying mine for full price ($1,295) before they disappeared.

Quote:
I'd check the panel for hairline cracks (shine a flashlight over every single inch), and of course check to see if it has any burn-in (using the colored break-in slides on a USB stick).

Quote:
Quick way to Check the Hours Used Via the regular User Menu (same for all 2013 models):Go to Menu > Help > Version > and scroll down to Status4. On that line you'll see a letter A or B or C followed by a 4-digit number which is the number of hours. A0039-0000 for instance would be 39 hours. C1926-00000 would be 1,926 hours.
As long as the TV is in good condition, i wouldn't obsess about high hours. The panel is rated for 100,000 hours before brightness is reduced which is like 30 years of watching it all day long.

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Series3 & Premiere, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890, MX-780, R40, MX-450, MX-500 Remotes.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #13536 of 13550 Old 02-04-2016, 10:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
I'd check for uniformity. I've had three ST60 50's in my possession and all had some amount of pink discoloration on gray backgrounds. If you don't have a test pattern go to the Eco menu. The mostly grey background will show it. It's worse on gray but I would also see it in shots of the sky etc in normal content.
Posterization, all plasmas have it. I doubt you can find a flat screen TV that doesn't have it somewhere in the grayscale.
post #13537 of 13550 Old 02-05-2016, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:

This sounds like greyscale tracking error to me and not posterization.

Edit: Or it could be non-uniformity.

Last edited by RWetmore; 02-05-2016 at 02:34 PM.
post #13538 of 13550 Old 02-05-2016, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, as Randy said check for burn-in/image retention, and also get the hours that have been put on the set. Depending on the hours, you might be able to negotiate a lower price. But there is no need to fear high hours if the set is in good shape and has no burn in.

I'd say a fair price for one with less than 3000 hours in excellent condition with no image retention is around $1000, but I don't think I'd pay more than $1000 unless it was pristine with super low hours.
post #13539 of 13550 Old 02-05-2016, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
I also own 2x 50 inch ST60 model. I do notice that too... the pink discoloration is mostly on the center of the screen and is only noticeable in full white and gray backgrounds (in Cinema mode, of course). When I watch a bluray Hollywood movie the pink discoloration is barely noticeable. Another thing I noticed is that when I watched Schindler's List (a black & white movie) a week ago I noticed a hint of green & pink tint here and there, depending on the graduations of the gray . Is there a way to cure these discoloration by getting it professional calibrated?

2x 50 inch Panasonic Viera ST60
50 inch Panasonic Viera G20 (retired)
46 inch Panasonic Viera G10 (retired)
50 inch Pioneer Elite 111FD (ISF-Calibrated by Chad B) http://hdtvbychadb.com/isf-calibration

Last edited by 34HFX83; 02-05-2016 at 03:10 PM.
post #13540 of 13550 Old 02-05-2016, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34HFX83 View Post
Another thing I noticed is that when I watched Schindler's List (a black & white movie) a week ago I noticed a hit of green & pink tint here and there, depending on the graduations of the gray . Is there a way to cure these discoloration by getting it professional calibrated?

Yes, or you can get a calibration disk with greyscale patterns and try to improve it by eye, but it's super tough to do that.

This set can be super fine tuned, so it's one definitely worth getting professionally calibrated. I recommend Chad B, but there are many good ones who post and participate here.
Chad B likes this.
post #13541 of 13550 Old 02-05-2016, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
I also own 2x 50 inch ST60 model. I do notice that too... the pink discoloration is mostly on the center of the screen and is only noticeable in full white and gray backgrounds (in Cinema mode, of course). When I watch a bluray Hollywood movie the pink discoloration is barely noticeable. Another thing I noticed is that when I watched Schindler's List (a black & white movie) a week ago I noticed a hint of green & pink tint here and there, depending on the graduations of the gray . Is there a way to cure these discoloration by getting it professional calibrated?
The higher the contrast is the less you'll see it. Higher quality sources show less of it than lower quality sources.
post #13542 of 13550 Old 02-05-2016, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
Quick way to Check the Hours Used Via the regular User Menu (same for all 2013 models):Go to Menu > Help > Version > and scroll down to Status4. On that line you'll see a letter A or B or C followed by a 4-digit number which is the number of hours. A0039-0000 for instance would be 39 hours. C1926-00000 would be 1,926 hours.
As long as the TV is in good condition, i wouldn't obsess about high hours. The panel is rated for 100,000 hours before brightness is reduced which is like 30 years of watching it all day long.
Thanks Randy for this bit of information. I've had my TC-P60ST60 since May 2013 and never knew that there was an hours counter in the "Help" section of the Menu. I've got 6437 hours on mine and I believe it looks just as good as when ChadB calibrated it. I'm sure I could use a touch up calibration though.

Emotiva XMC-1/XPR-2/XPR-5/ERC-1/DC-1/Remote 1(URC MX-500)
Panasonic TC-P60ST60, Oppo BDP-93, Amazon Fire TV
Furman PL-PRO DMC 20A, Monster Power HTS-5000
SVS PB12-Plus DSP x 2
Klipsch KLF-20 & KLF-C7(Crites Tweeter/Midrange Diaphragms & Crossovers)
Klipsch RB-5II (Side/Rear Surrounds)
post #13543 of 13550 Old 02-06-2016, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post
Yes, or you can get a calibration disk with greyscale patterns and try to improve it by eye, but it's super tough to do that.

This set can be super fine tuned, so it's one definitely worth getting professionally calibrated. I recommend Chad B, but there are many good ones who post and participate here.
You can't calibrate out uniformity issues. Chad B would tell you the same.
post #13544 of 13550 Old 02-06-2016, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
This is why I eventually sold all of them. Pink 'blob' in some portion of the screen...greenish tint elsewhere. And my meter would detect it as well (Which is why you can't calibrate it out...the meter will get different readings on each portion of the display and the adjustments are universal for all areas of the screen).

Don't get me wrong....I don't mean this as a knock against Panasonic since personally I feel like no manufacturer cares all that much about uniformity anymore. I assume it costs money to achieve it and they can't be bothered.

My F8500 has some discolored areas on a white test pattern but it is nowhere near as bad as any of the ST60s were and of course the F8500 has other weaknesses that the St60 does not. I just though that ultimately it was a better TV for ME because uniformity is very important to me.

Living room: Sony 60NX720, Yamaha RX-V673, NHT Super One/Zero w/Ten Sub, Panasonic BDT230.
Current Man Cave: Samsung PN51F8500, Vizio S4251w-B4, Sony BDP-S5100, Darbee Darblet.
Future Man Cave: Sony VPL-HW40ES, Panamorph Phoenix. Patio: Epson 2040
Displays calibrated with HCFR, i1DisplayPro, and Colormunki Photo.
post #13545 of 13550 Old 02-06-2016, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 981
Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread

Quote:
You can't calibrate out uniformity issues. Chad B would tell you the same.

It didn't sound like he was describing a uniformity issue. I believe he was describing an issue with grayscale tracking, where there were color tints depending on the gradiation of gray, which I do fix with calibration.

Edit: my mistake, sounds like he has a uniformity issue (which I can't fix) and possibly a tracking issue as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

touring ISF/THX calibrator with Jeti 1211 reference spectro
Latest reviews:Sony XBR75X940C, Samsung UN65JS9500, LG 65EF9500
Copied settings measured, LG OLED calibration tips (new), Review index

Last edited by Chad B; 02-06-2016 at 11:03 PM.
post #13546 of 13550 Old Yesterday, 03:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread

Some of the 50" models of the Panasonic 60 series are known to be problematic, something that has received surprisingly little attention in the US - perhaps the 50" size is less popular there?

You might take note of this thread:

http://www.avmagazine.it/forum/74-di...eeding-e-aloni

Note: that is the VT60, which in Europe was available in the 50" size (unlike in the US). However, in terms of the issue noted in this thread, it is a TV that behaves similarly.

Some of the behaviour of these TVs is quite unusual, so it tends to be misunderstood or miscategorized. This is an image that was in that thread:

You might look at that and think that the upper part of the screen is prone to pink tinting. But that is not the case. What is happening there concerns the number of subpixels illuminated at one time in a single horizontal row. When that number is large, the whole row or the centre of it tends toward a pink/magenta tint. If you look at that image, you will see that the non-dark part of it is wider at the top than it is below. It is the width, the geometry, of the light part that is associated with the tint in many cases, rather than the screen position per se, but that is to probably to oversimplify. If you want an extreme example of this phenomenon, see below:

I've had 3 entirely different "high-end" Panasonic plasmas so far and none has had perfect uniformity. On my current VT, I tend not to be bothered too much by this, which in most instances is very slight (the coloured line bleed is the most noticeable aspect, but it is not everpresent to a detectable extent). I can imagine, though, that some people would be aghast, especially given that these sets were awarded "reference status" by some reviewers.
cockatiel likes this.

Last edited by fluxo; Yesterday at 05:24 AM.
post #13547 of 13550 Old Yesterday, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post
It didn't sound like he was describing a uniformity issue. I believe he was describing an issue with grayscale tracking, where there were color tints depending on the gradiation of gray, which I do fix with calibration.

That's what I thought too.
post #13548 of 13550 Old Yesterday, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxo View Post
I've had 3 entirely different "high-end" Panasonic plasmas so far and none has had perfect uniformity.

It's the inescapable panel lottery. I've been super lucky with the Panasonics I've bought. My first -- an 50ST50 -- had virtually perfect uniformity. The second one -- an 50S60 (and the one I have now) has very good, but not quite perfect uniformity. But the imperfection is super slight and is even OK for me and I'm kind of OCD for uniformity.

My parents bought a 55ST50 and it doesn't have good uniformity. It's not super bad, but I would have exchanged it for another. However, they never noticed it and I haven't said anything. Every company has to come up with acceptable imperfection standards that keep the costs low. The average consumer probably never checks for uniformity and would only notice it if it were really bad. Hence, why many noticeably non-uniform panels (to us) get a passing grade and don't get discarded by the manufacturers.

Last edited by RWetmore; Yesterday at 06:33 AM.
post #13549 of 13550 Old Yesterday, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxo View Post
Some of the 50" models of the Panasonic 60 series are known to be problematic, something that has received surprisingly little attention in the US - perhaps the 50" size is less popular there?

You might take note of this thread:

http://www.avmagazine.it/forum/74-di...eeding-e-aloni

Note: that is the VT60, which in Europe was available in the 50" size (unlike in the US). However, in terms of the issue noted in this thread, it is a TV that behaves similarly.

Some of the behaviour of these TVs is quite unusual, so it tends to be misunderstood or miscategorized. This is an image that was in that thread:

You might look at that and think that the upper part of the screen is prone to pink tinting. But that is not the case. What is happening there concerns the number of subpixels illuminated at one time in a single horizontal row. When that number is large, the whole row or the centre of it tends toward a pink/magenta tint. If you look at that image, you will see that the non-dark part of it is wider at the top than it is below. It is the width, the geometry, of the light part that is associated with the tint in many cases, rather than the screen position per se, but that is to probably to oversimplify. If you want an extreme example of this phenomenon, see below:

I've had 3 entirely different "high-end" Panasonic plasmas so far and none has had perfect uniformity. On my current VT, I tend not to be bothered too much by this, which in most instances is very slight (the coloured line bleed is the most noticeable aspect, but it is not everpresent to a detectable extent). I can imagine, though, that some people would be aghast, especially given that these sets were awarded "reference status" by some reviewers.
This somewhat fits the theory that I have always had that the poor uniformity on these sets is partially due to the need to meet new energy usage requirements and that plasma TVs were always intended to be power hungry beasts. Basically (and this greatly over simplifies it) the pixels run out of juice before peak white can be achieved and some pixels react to this 'starvation' worse than others.

I found a used Kuro from before the energy standards got really harsh and while it suffers from red tinted blacks white and grey test patterns are perfectly uniform. Of course it's built like a tank.

Living room: Sony 60NX720, Yamaha RX-V673, NHT Super One/Zero w/Ten Sub, Panasonic BDT230.
Current Man Cave: Samsung PN51F8500, Vizio S4251w-B4, Sony BDP-S5100, Darbee Darblet.
Future Man Cave: Sony VPL-HW40ES, Panamorph Phoenix. Patio: Epson 2040
Displays calibrated with HCFR, i1DisplayPro, and Colormunki Photo.
post #13550 of 13550 Old Today, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My 2 year old P65ST60 has become a mess of constant image retention, horizontal banding, and a vertical pink stripe on the right side. All of it very subtle but still very much there. Luckily I paid the big bucks for the Geek Squad protection and since they came out twice to try to fix with no avail (replaced 2 boards, wanted to try a new screen but not avails), it seems Im getting a brand new TV...

The geeks just left my house and I am very sad to lose my ST60, I LOVE this TV! My only electronics, AV, hifi purchase ever that I didn't second guess my choice. It is perfection. Was perfection. For a couple years. Anyhow, I am curious if anyone else has had to deal with Best Buy/ Geek Squad full replacement? What should I expect from here? Will they let me pick something or how does this go down?

Assuming I have some say in my replacement, Im curious what TV to get, I havent looked at the TV market since I bought this, whats going to be comparable these days? 65 inch and over, glorious blacks, great image controls? Probably not plasma, definitely has to be available at Best Buy. Gonna assume my budget is about $2k for now...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led
Gear in this thread