Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread - Page 458 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 130Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #13711 of 13726 Old 01-12-2017, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Marc_G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Indianapolis Metro Area
Posts: 1,046
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I believe I set it to limited RGB and did the same for my home theater PC. My HTPC outputs flashing bands appropriately from levels 17 to 234 so what ever I did it works :-)
The important thing is that the TV and the video source need to be set to the same standard.

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
Marc_G is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #13712 of 13726 Old 01-12-2017, 11:15 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G View Post
I believe I set it to limited RGB and did the same for my home theater PC. My HTPC outputs flashing bands appropriately from levels 17 to 234 so what ever I did it works :-)
The important thing is that the TV and the video source need to be set to the same standard.

Flashing bands from 17 to 234? Now you lost me
Jaxione is offline  
post #13713 of 13726 Old 01-13-2017, 04:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Marc_G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Indianapolis Metro Area
Posts: 1,046
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 43
There are test patterns you can run that let you adjust brightness and contrast so that the dynamic range of the TV is used appropriately in displaying content. If you think of possible encoding of black levels as a scale from zero to 255, only 16 to 234 are typically used. So the test patterns include flashing bands encoded from 0 to 255, and we adjust things until 17-234 flash. 0-16 should stay black and above 234 stay white. If this isn't set properly you get black crush and other artifacts.

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
Marc_G is online now  
 
post #13714 of 13726 Old 01-13-2017, 05:01 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G View Post
There are test patterns you can run that let you adjust brightness and contrast so that the dynamic range of the TV is used appropriately in displaying content. If you think of possible encoding of black levels as a scale from zero to 255, only 16 to 234 are typically used. So the test patterns include flashing bands encoded from 0 to 255, and we adjust things until 17-234 flash. 0-16 should stay black and above 234 stay white. If this isn't set properly you get black crush and other artifacts.


Aaah ok that one I have used before on another set, thank you.
Jaxione is offline  
post #13715 of 13726 Old 01-16-2017, 10:52 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 9
The vertical band is there to stay it seems. Hoped it was burn in at first but now I am pretty sure its not. I have been haunted by this damn vertical banding since I sold my Pioneer 507 plasma. I have tried 7 different LED screens and 3 OLED screens and they all had it. So I refered back to the only safe tech I know of : Plasma. But what do I get? Vertical effing banding............................
Jaxione is offline  
post #13716 of 13726 Old 01-21-2017, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member
 
hungro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 914
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by wargod View Post
Is it normal for the P65ST60 to have these green pixels in it when looking at it close? If this not the norm, how can I correct this? These screen shots were taking while my xbox one S was updating for the first time.

http://imgur.com/fDrBqxx

http://imgur.com/8GzebDR
Is that an all black background? If it's all black then you should not have any dancing pixels. Make sure your brightness is set correctly for your source. Use the free disks out there like AVSHD709 or GCD. Set black to where the black clipping pattern 16 is invisible and 17 is visible. The key is to make sure 16 is invisible.
hungro is online now  
post #13717 of 13726 Old 01-21-2017, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member
 
hungro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 914
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxione View Post
Hi!

Just bought a Panasonic ST60 in mint condition, however now I have noticed a vertical band on the right from the middle of the set. Didint bother to check for this before as I didnt think plasma suffered from vertical banding. I guess I have to live with it? Also there is line bleed, is that normal?


Br J
One way to check for line bleed is use the green movie trailers ratings screen pause it and look for the line bleed usually it's horizontal.Find them on the movie trailers from Blu-rays.
hungro is online now  
post #13718 of 13726 Old 01-21-2017, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member
 
hungro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 914
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Castrejon View Post
I get green pixels too, but I can actually see them from 10 feet away. It's usually there when it's first turn on and trying warm up. I think those are the sub pixels from the screenshots?
This is normal when first turning on the TV. It goes away right away. If you have the brightness on your set setup correctly then you should not see it in black bars for movies or a full black blackground. AVSHD709 or GCD calibration disk. Black clipping pattern, set Brightness so that 16 is invisible and not flashing, 17 is visible and flashing.
hungro is online now  
post #13719 of 13726 Old 01-26-2017, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
hungro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 914
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Don't adjust green cut. Leave your white balance controls at default. Use the mentioned patterns to adjust your brightness control.
Bruce2019 likes this.
hungro is online now  
post #13720 of 13726 Old Yesterday, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Marc_G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Indianapolis Metro Area
Posts: 1,046
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Hi everyone,


I could use some help troubleshooting an issue on my 60ST60 where black levels in movie scenes suddenly go from deep black to sort of a washed-out gray, during low-light scenes like "people walking through caves or sewers." Often this looks sort of like flickering between the dark black the backgrounds should be, and a much grayer view. If I go frame by frame through those sequences, the changes occur matching what I see when watching the movie in real time.


It's distracting, and started right after I reconfigured my home theater... everything changed about my home theater setup all at once, except for the TV and it's settings. The TV & settings haven't changed a bit. But there's a new home theater PC (now a late model i5-6600 based machine with Win10, new versions of playback software, etc.), and a new AVR (Denon S720W).


Playing these same scenes of content WITH THE SAME SOFTWARE on my desktop PC doesn't show the "flickering." So, I have no reason to believe it relates to the content.


I tried sending the video to multiple different HDMI ports on the TV; they both showed the same gray-flicker phenomenon.


Based on this, my troubleshooting tree looks like this:
-Is it the content? No.
-Is it the TV itself? Almost certainly not.
-Is it the software? Apparently not.
-Does it relate to the new computer or new AVR?
---Almost certainly yes
-----What on the AVR could cause this? [Don't know, noting in menus suggests it, next step is to test without AVR in the loop]
-----If I rule out the AVR, what about the computer would cause this? Nothing much in the Intel graphics controls that relates to this to try to tweak.


Any ideas about what to do? I'll see about testing without the AVR; physically this may be easier said then done based on available cable lengths.


Mostly, what in a late model Intel driver package would cause this?


Marc

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
Marc_G is online now  
post #13721 of 13726 Old Yesterday, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Marc_G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Indianapolis Metro Area
Posts: 1,046
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Oh. Never mind.


It turns out that there was a contrast enhancement that was set to "enabled." I was unfamiliar with this control since it's not present for my slightly older computer's Intel graphics settings. Turned it off and the problem has gone away.


Thanks for listening...

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
Marc_G is online now  
post #13722 of 13726 Old Yesterday, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
sawfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 986
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G View Post
Oh. Never mind.


It turns out that there was a contrast enhancement that was set to "enabled." I was unfamiliar with this control since it's not present for my slightly older computer's Intel graphics settings. Turned it off and the problem has gone away.


Thanks for listening...
I've been wondering for over 10 years if there is a legitimate use case for this common misfeature. Every implementation I've seen has been highly annoying.
sawfish is online now  
post #13723 of 13726 Old Today, 04:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Marc_G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Indianapolis Metro Area
Posts: 1,046
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Agreed. No idea why it would ever be desirable at the OS/Driver level. I can see in player apps having such an option, but never as part of the graphic driver settings. Sheesh.

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
Marc_G is online now  
post #13724 of 13726 Old Today, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Smigro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Montgomery County, PA
Posts: 2,212
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 220
So I had been going back and forth with a guy about 90 minutes from me about his 65ST60 that was listed on eBay. After a couple emails to make sure I could check the set out first before finalizing the sale (me asking to run colored slides to check for the obvious issues) I was told there is a slight Q in the lower left hand side of the screen from his 85 y.o. mother watching QVC religiously. I was a little bummed when I heard this but still wanted to take a ride to check it out.

The set was listed at $750 and after the talk about the possible burn in/major IR I came in at $500 in which he countered at $600 so I decided for that price if the screen issues were not bad I would just take it. So I took a ride Saturday to check it out and while there was a slightly visible Q (really only on the green slide but not the others) IMO it was not bad enough to not take it home so I loaded it up and brought it home.

For $600 bucks I figured if I got a few years out of it and possibly get the Disney WOW disc to try and mitigate the burn in (I doubt that happens but it is hard to see anyway) that I got a great set for the price...plus it came with 2 3D glasses and 2 remotes to boot.

Once I got it home and in it's new home I quickly powered it up. Upon powering it up I was little worried as I saw little dancing green pixels on a green screen and then remembered from reading this thread prior to buying that it was most likely an issue with the brightness...as it turns out the brightness was just about maxed out so I lowered it to 0 and they went away...crisis averted.

Saturday night I had to watch my niece and nephew so I thought it would be a good chance to check out a couple Disney movies. All I can say coming from a 50G25 is that the picture and the sheer size increase of the 65ST60 were astounding and this was before I plugged in Dnice's settings.

Sunday afternoon I was able to sit down and go through the settings inputting Dnice's settings. Later that night I decided to give Avatar a go since I figured that would really bring out the TV picture and all I can say is WOW. I was astounded at the PQ and am glad to now have a TV that can keep up with the sound system that accompanies it. Now to test out some other showpiece movies.

If anyone has suggestions of movies that really make a TV shine let me know so I can add it to my watch list.

Thanks








Ed
Panasonic VIERA TC-P60ST60 Plasma, Onkyo TX-NR1008 receiver, OPPO BDP-83 region free, Xbox One, PS4, eD[c]12 LCR, Klipsch R-14M surrounds, Rythmik FV15HP sub

Xbox GT / PSN ID - Smigro
BD collection http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...0&categoryid=7

Last edited by Smigro; Today at 08:21 AM.
Smigro is online now  
post #13725 of 13726 Old Today, 10:15 AM
Senior Member
 
NCCaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro View Post
So I had been going back and forth with a guy about 90 minutes from me about his 65ST60 that was listed on eBay. After a couple emails to make sure I could check the set out first before finalizing the sale (me asking to run colored slides to check for the obvious issues) I was told there is a slight Q in the lower left hand side of the screen from his 85 y.o. mother watching QVC religiously. I was a little bummed when I heard this but still wanted to take a ride to check it out.

The set was listed at $750 and after the talk about the possible burn in/major IR I came in at $500 in which he countered at $600 so I decided for that price if the screen issues were not bad I would just take it. So I took a ride Saturday to check it out and while there was a slightly visible Q (really only on the green slide but not the others) IMO it was not bad enough to not take it home so I loaded it up and brought it home.

For $600 bucks I figured if I got a few years out of it and possibly get the Disney WOW disc to try and mitigate the burn in (I doubt that happens but it is hard to see anyway) that I got a great set for the price...plus it came with 2 3D glasses and 2 remotes to boot.

Once I got it home and in it's new home I quickly powered it up. Upon powering it up I was little worried as I saw little dancing green pixels on a green screen and then remembered from reading this thread prior to buying that it was most likely an issue with the brightness...as it turns out the brightness was just about maxed out so I lowered it to 0 and they went away...crisis averted.

Saturday night I had to watch my niece and nephew so I thought it would be a good chance to check out a couple Disney movies. All I can say coming from a 50G25 is that the picture and the sheer size increase of the 65ST60 were astounding and this was before I plugged in Dnice's settings.

Sunday afternoon I was able to sit down and go through the settings inputting Dnice's settings. Later that night I decided to give Avatar a go since I figured that would really bring out the TV picture and all I can say is WOW. I was astounded at the PQ and am glad to now have a TV that can keep up with the sound system that accompanies it. Now to test out some other showpiece movies.

If anyone has suggestions of movies that really make a TV shine let me know so I can add it to my watch list.

Thanks







Congrats on a great deal! It is a pretty amazing TV, isn't it?

Mark
Panasonic VIERA TC-P60ST60 Plasma, NAD T775 receiver, OPPO BDP-103, AT&T uVerse
Era D5 front left/right, Era D5 LCR center, Triad in-ceiling Mini 8/LCR surrounds, Martin Logan Abyss and SVS SB12-NSD subs
NCCaniac is online now  
post #13726 of 13726 Old Today, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Smigro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Montgomery County, PA
Posts: 2,212
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCCaniac View Post
Congrats on a great deal! It is a pretty amazing TV, isn't it?
It is and for $600 it makes that much sweeter for me...I just have to cross my fingers that I get as much life out of that as I did with 2010 G25 which is still going strong. It is a bummer about the higher propensity for burn in in these 2013 panels but luckily it is really only going to be used for movies (and a little gaming) and not for broadcast TV so I shouldn't have to worry much about that.

Ed
Panasonic VIERA TC-P60ST60 Plasma, Onkyo TX-NR1008 receiver, OPPO BDP-83 region free, Xbox One, PS4, eD[c]12 LCR, Klipsch R-14M surrounds, Rythmik FV15HP sub

Xbox GT / PSN ID - Smigro
BD collection http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...0&categoryid=7
Smigro is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led
Gear in this thread



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off