Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread - Page 459 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 135Likes
post #13741 of 13765 Old 02-22-2017, 10:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro View Post
Yeah, for $600 I can deal with the issue since it is minor and only shows up when there light scenes (i.e. a whitish/grey sky, snow scenes, etc.)...just glad I got him down from his original asking price of $750 because at that price I would probably be a bit upset.

Even at $750 it would have been a very good deal. If all you have is some IR, $600 is still a bargain (if not a steal) for the 65" size of this TV. I don't think anyone here would disagree. It's an awesome TV.

Quote:
I will just have to keep trying screen wiping periodically and the Disney pixel flipper when I get the disc from my buddy.

Yes, the Disney Wow pixel flipper is far better than the screen wipe, but you will likely need to run it for several days straight to get rid of the IR. Maybe even a week straight or more.

How many hours are on the set?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13742 of 13765 Old 02-23-2017, 05:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by samijubal View Post
If it's IR it will eventually go away just by watching the TV. I did have some stubborn IR once after a marathon game grinding session, the same thing over and over basically, that took a month or two of normal TV viewing to go away. I'm a little more careful with games now and haven't had a problem since.
I am hoping that is all it is. I will say that I watched Star Wars TFA last night and during the sandy scenes you could see it pretty noticeably in the sky and sand early on but towards the end of the movie it did not seem as visible. When the movie was over I immediately ran the screen wipe for a couple hours before I went to bed and when I turned the TV off the box on the left side was barely visible.

When I woke up I went in and turned the TV on and started the screen wipe to see how it looked since the couple days prior it seemed to come back over night and even in the morning it was noticeably less visible. I am just hoping it is really stubborn IR that over time will eventually go away. I should have the Disney WOW disc in a day or two so I run that over the weekend and in my free time to see if I can get rid of it for good.

Ed
Panasonic VIERA TC-P60ST60 Plasma, Onkyo TX-NR1008 receiver, OPPO BDP-83 region free, Xbox One, PS4, eD[c]12 LCR, Klipsch R-14M surrounds, Rythmik FV15HP sub

Xbox GT / PSN ID - Smigro
BD collection http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...0&categoryid=7
post #13743 of 13765 Old 02-23-2017, 05:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post
Even at $750 it would have been a very good deal. If all you have is some IR, $600 is still a bargain (if not a steal) for the 65" size of this TV. I don't think anyone here would disagree. It's an awesome TV.
Oh no doubt. What I meant was is if this turns out to be burn in and not IR then I am glad I only paid $600. Still a good deal no doubt, just wish the screen was squeaky clean is all.

Quote:
Yes, the Disney Wow pixel flipper is far better than the screen wipe, but you will likely need to run it for several days straight to get rid of the IR. Maybe even a week straight or more.

How many hours are on the set?
I hope the WOW disc does the trick because other than the screen issue in that area the set is beautiful...the black level performance compared to my 50G25 (which has the floating blacks issue from that year) is phenomenal and going from a 50" to a 65" makes watching movies so much better.

Status 4 shows C4665-00000 so I am guessing that is 4665 hours. Do you know what the other ones means. Status3 is 0000-4000 and status5 is 00000-10000

Ed
Panasonic VIERA TC-P60ST60 Plasma, Onkyo TX-NR1008 receiver, OPPO BDP-83 region free, Xbox One, PS4, eD[c]12 LCR, Klipsch R-14M surrounds, Rythmik FV15HP sub

post #13744 of 13765 Old 02-23-2017, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Oh no doubt. What I meant was is if this turns out to be burn in and not IR then I am glad I only paid $600. Still a good deal no doubt, just wish the screen was squeaky clean is all.

Even if it turns out to be burn it, it's still a great deal at $750.

Quote:
I hope the WOW disc does the trick because other than the screen issue in that area the set is beautiful...the black level performance compared to my 50G25 (which has the floating blacks issue from that year) is phenomenal and going from a 50" to a 65" makes watching movies so much better.

The WOW disc is definitely your best bet, though you'll likely need to run it for days straight and maybe even a week or more.

Quote:
Status 4 shows C4665-00000 so I am guessing that is 4665 hours. Do you know what the other ones means. Status3 is 0000-4000 and status5 is 00000-10000

I don't, but you're correct that Status 4 shows the hours. 4665 is fairly low hours too.
Smigro likes this.
post #13745 of 13765 Old 02-23-2017, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Got mine couple years ago as a floor model. It sat on the showroom floor with full brightness and contrast, running the demo mode over and over. Talk about IR! It was terrible.

Fortunately, the salesperson was cooperative and let me put it in screen wipe mode overnight. When I returned the next day, the IR seemed noticeably lighter. Based on that progress I went ahead and bought the unit at a discount. I obtained the WOW disk and ran pixel fix overnight the first few nights (and days). Finally, the image was only barely discernable in skies and solid scenes. That was two years ago. Now, the picture is awesome! No IR except the occasional ghosting others have mentioned. Definitely no burn-in.

Enjoy!

I'm not looking forward to trying to replace this set. I'm afraid everything else will be a step backward. OLED, anyone?

Panasonic P60ST60
Sony BDP-S3100
Denon X2000
post #13746 of 13765 Old 02-23-2017, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by valkenaar View Post
Got mine couple years ago as a floor model. It sat on the showroom floor with full brightness and contrast, running the demo mode over and over. Talk about IR! It was terrible.

Fortunately, the salesperson was cooperative and let me put it in screen wipe mode overnight. When I returned the next day, the IR seemed noticeably lighter. Based on that progress I went ahead and bought the unit at a discount. I obtained the WOW disk and ran pixel fix overnight the first few nights (and days). Finally, the image was only barely discernable in skies and solid scenes. That was two years ago. Now, the picture is awesome! No IR except the occasional ghosting others have mentioned. Definitely no burn-in.

Enjoy!

I'm not looking forward to trying to replace this set. I'm afraid everything else will be a step backward. OLED, anyone?
Well, this gives me hope that I can eventually get the panel back to good shape. Hopefully I get the Disney disc tomorrow so I can run it over the weekend while I am away.

Ed

post #13747 of 13765 Old 02-23-2017, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Good plan. Also keep in mind that the longer the panel was abused the longer it will take to even it out, but I think this will quickly become harder to notice.

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
post #13748 of 13765 Old 02-23-2017, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G View Post
Good plan. Also keep in mind that the longer the panel was abused the longer it will take to even it out, but I think this will quickly become harder to notice.
Yup, that is what I was thinking. I guess the good thing is that since the panel has relatively low hours (4665 or by rough math about 3 hours of usage per day over the last 3-1/2 years) that it will not be as bad as I had originally thought.

I will just be glad if I can get this thing back to mint condition because I am loving it for movies.

Ed

post #13749 of 13765 Old 02-23-2017, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

These sets are awesome. I love my 60ST60 and will mourn its passing if that ever happens.
Mine has the slightest of vertical band artifacts on the right side but not visible in regular use; only can see it if I look for it. So I don't! 😀

post #13750 of 13765 Old 02-23-2017, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, this gives me hope that I can eventually get the panel back to good shape. Hopefully I get the Disney disc tomorrow so I can run it over the weekend while I am away.

Just make sure you have your blu-ray player's screen saver turned off, otherwise it will come on and effectively turn off the pixel flipper.
post #13751 of 13765 Old 02-24-2017, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just make sure you have your blu-ray player's screen saver turned off, otherwise it will come on and effectively turn off the pixel flipper.
Thank you for the heads up, appreciate it. I will have to dig into the Oppo 83 menu and look for it.

Ed

post #13752 of 13765 Old Yesterday, 08:23 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 768
Quote:
My buddy is shipping me his Disney WOW so I can try the pixel flipper to see if that does any good but my guess is if this panel has a lot of hours there is not much that will help but I guess it is worth a shot. If anyone else has any tricks that I could try let me know. Being they are white boxes and logo I am hoping that is easier to mitigate but who knows.....

.... for $600 I can deal with the issue since it is minor and only shows up when there light scenes (i.e. a whitish/grey sky, snow scenes, etc.)...just glad I got him down from his original asking price of $750 because at that price I would probably be a bit upset.

I will just have to keep trying screen wiping periodically and the Disney pixel flipper when I get the disc from my buddy.
The Screen Wipe is more of a diagnostic tool than an IR removal tool. Panasonic added this feature to the user menu in response to Samsung having one in their menus, but it really seems to be more of a placebo. I have not found it to do anything to get rid of stubborn IR on my GT50 or ST60.

What i use to clean up stubborn IR is the Pixel Jogger mp4 file (similar to the Pixel Flipper) that i downloaded onto a USB drive, but i've had better results from just running a long slideshow of 1920x1080 High Definition Wallpaper images from a USB Drive. I have a few hundred of them with very colorful nature scenes that i use to clear IR. This has worked for myself and a few friends who watch a lot of sports etc.

After i moved my GT50 to the wife's den, it had developed some persistent IR of the FOOD NETWORK logo from her leaving the TV on that channel all day that i could see on light scenes and green break in slides. The HD Wallpaper slideshow almost completely got rid of it after a few overnight sessions. I use the green and lighter colored break-in slides to check my progress and the IR definitely fades after running the slideshow to the point that i don't notice it. It also helps to not look for it in the bottom corner ha ha.

Here's the old thread about the Pixel Jogger.
Pixel Jogger Break-in Improves PQ Plasma/LCD/LED TV... FOR DIY USERS ONLY! w/ disclaimer

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo 2-Tuner Premiere, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890, MX-780, MX-450, MX-500 Remotes.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #13753 of 13765 Old Yesterday, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
The Screen Wipe is more of a diagnostic tool than an IR removal tool. Panasonic added this feature to the user menu in response to Samsung having one in their menus, but it really seems to be more of a placebo. I have not found it to do anything to get rid of stubborn IR on my GT50 or ST60.

What i use to clean up stubborn IR is the Pixel Jogger mp4 file (similar to the Pixel Flipper) that i downloaded onto a USB drive, but i've had better results from just running a long slideshow of 1920x1080 High Definition Wallpaper images from a USB Drive. I have a few hundred of them with very colorful nature scenes that i use to clear IR. This has worked for myself and a few friends who watch a lot of sports etc.

After i moved my GT50 to the wife's den, it had developed some persistent IR of the FOOD NETWORK logo from her leaving the TV on that channel all day that i could see on light scenes and green break in slides. The HD Wallpaper slideshow almost completely got rid of it after a few overnight sessions. I use the green and lighter colored break-in slides to check my progress and the IR definitely fades after running the slideshow to the point that i don't notice it. It also helps to not look for it in the bottom corner ha ha.

Pixel Jogger Break-in Improves PQ Plasma/LCD/LED TV... FOR DIY USERS ONLY! w/ disclaimer

Agree. It does absolutely nothing to reduce ir. It's more to be able to see if the set has it. As it scans you can see the ir. To reduce the ir, remove the ir source image & watch diffrent content to see if goes away. Depending on the length of time the ir was introduced, it may not go away.
post #13754 of 13765 Old Yesterday, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Agree screen wipe is more of a scan for IR tool

Is there anyway to fix a plasma screen that's been used too much in 2.35:1 aspect ratio mode and top and bottom parts are brighter then the middle Someone is selling a 60" ST60 for $500.00 and it has this problem I don;t think its worth it;s Also has about 7000hrs
post #13755 of 13765 Old Yesterday, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace54 View Post
Agree screen wipe is more of a scan for IR tool

Is there anyway to fix a plasma screen that's been used too much in 2.35:1 aspect ratio mode and top and bottom parts are brighter then the middle Someone is selling a 60" ST60 for $500.00 and it has this problem I don;t think its worth it;s Also has about 7000hrs
Runn a few thousand hours of content bright where the bars were and dark in the middle...

post #13756 of 13765 Old Yesterday, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G View Post
Runn a few thousand hours of content bright where the bars were and dark in the middle...
Too much hassle i'll pass unless he sells it for $250.00 I offered
post #13757 of 13765 Old Yesterday, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 32
We have a 60 ST60. All is working well. Our agent 50" Panny might be due for a replacement soon. What brands/models have the best picture today.? I assume all top models are now 4K - which I would assume would replace regular HD down the line.
post #13758 of 13765 Old Yesterday, 11:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
From my experience that goes away fast with full screen viewing. I haven't watched hundreds of hours of bars without full screen TV between though. If it's not to bad I'd say it will go away with normal viewing.
post #13759 of 13765 Old Today, 05:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thank you for the response Randy and after a week or so I do agree about the screen wipe function. At first I thought it was helping but now I see it really doesn't seem to be making a difference. I should have the WOW disc today so I guess I will give that a go. If not I could try what you suggest and download some nice HD wallpapers and give those ago.

Being that there are only about 4700 hours on the panel I am hoping that I can get rid of the issue I have. At least it only affects certain scenes from movies (bright scenes) so it is not always rearing it ugly head at me.

Ed

post #13760 of 13765 Unread Today, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you for the response Randy and after a week or so I do agree about the screen wipe function. At first I thought it was helping but now I see it really doesn't seem to be making a difference. I should have the WOW disc today so I guess I will give that a go. If not I could try what you suggest and download some nice HD wallpapers and give those ago.

Being that there are only about 4700 hours on the panel I am hoping that I can get rid of the issue I have. At least it only affects certain scenes from movies (bright scenes) so it is not always rearing it ugly head at me.
Do let us know how you make out with the WOW disc's pixel flipper.
post #13761 of 13765 Unread Today, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Oh, I'm sure that would significantly subside, if not completely disappear, with just a decent amount of full screen viewing time. If the set is otherwise in good shape, I would not hesitate, as that is a great price and only a moderate number of hours of use.
post #13762 of 13765 Unread Today, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Oh, I'm sure that would significantly subside, if not completely disappear, with just a decent amount of full screen viewing time. If the set is otherwise in good shape, I would not hesitate, as that is a great price and only a moderate number of hours of use.
all hes ever watched is movies in 2.35:1 aspect ratio I ran a white slide the middle of the screen didn't only look dimmer but appeared darker as well plasma's are not good with whites to begin with as they age this gets even worse you cant tell unless its beside a newer plasma

Marcg is right I would have to run a few thousand hrs of bright contact where its too bright by the time its fixed and watchable the hrs will be at 10 000
post #13763 of 13765 Unread Today, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
all hes ever watched is movies in 2.35:1 aspect ratio I ran a white slide the middle of the screen didn't only look dimmer but appeared darker as well plasma's are not good with whites to begin with as they age this gets even worse you cant tell unless its beside a newer plasma

Marcg is right I would have to run a few thousand hrs of bright contact where its too bright by the time its fixed and watchable the hrs will be at 10 000

Well, I find it hard to believe all that the owner ever watched is 2.35:1 content, as many movies are in a narrower aspect ratio. But then again, I didn't actually see the screen like you did.

I would suggest offering the owner a chance to run full screen content for a few days (or maybe even a week) straight and then come back and see if it subsided. At that point, decide. Or maybe offer less. But of course, I didn't see the screen, so if it's really as bad as you say then it's probably best to pass on it.
post #13764 of 13765 Unread Today, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

BTW, on mine I've watched solely 4:3 content for several days straight and can clearly see the effect you're describing, i.e. the side bars are brighter than the center; however, after just a few hours of watching full screen content again, it evens out completely and I've never had any long term issue watching non-full screen content for extended periods of time. I think you'd be surprised that what you're seeing on that set would go away with probably not more than just a few hundred hours of watching full screen content. But I could be wrong.
post #13765 of 13765 Unread Today, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Well, I find it hard to believe all that the owner ever watched is 2.35:1 content, as many movies are in a narrower aspect ratio. But then again, I didn't actually see the screen like you did.

I would suggest offering the owner a chance to run full screen content for a few days (or maybe even a week) straight and then come back and see if it subsided. At that point, decide. Or maybe offer less. But of course, I didn't see the screen, so if it's really as bad as you say then it's probably best to pass on it.
I found it hard to believe as well but he said it himself all hes ever watched on the set is movies how many movies would you have to watch to get to 7000hrs on a TV that's not older then 2013 he didn't say only 2.35:1 but the majority of movies are 2.35:1

Dont know what to do I think I will pass I'm looking for a VT60 or ZT60 the ST60 looks to plain and cheap OLED is out of my budget
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page