Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread - Page 460 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 155Likes

Old 03-03-2017, 03:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve544 View Post
After considerable research I bought a ZT 65 for myself and one for a buddy a week after. Two years later, he reports no issues with the set and neither do I. As much as I will drool over the new OLED screens coming on the market, they can wait as I wait for their prices to come down for when I find it necessary to buy one.

It appears that there are many problems that exist with the ST model...if I had had so many issues, I wouldn't have hesitated to return the monitors.

What?? The reliability of the ST,VT,ZT are the same actually you don't have to worry about panel separation on the ST
I had a ZT60 for about a month the only difference I could tell is the ZT had better blacks other then that the PQ looked exactly the same IR was just as bad on start up screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2017, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace54 View Post
What?? The reliability of the ST,VT,ZT are the same actually you don't have to worry about panel separation on the ST
I had a ZT60 for about a month the only difference I could tell is the ZT had better blacks other then that the PQ looked exactly the same IR was just as bad on start up screen
He's not taking into account there were many more STs sold than VTs so there are going to be more STs with problems.
Old 03-04-2017, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 2
If i recall correctly ST60 panels were basically flagship 2012 VT50 panels. This is the reason why it got raving reviews back in the day.

Old 03-05-2017, 06:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by 34-hfx-83 View Post
If i recall correctly ST60 panels were basically flagship 2012 VT50 panels. This is the reason why it got raving reviews back in the day.

Yes, the ST60 was generally about as good as the VT50 from the previous year, and has the same calibration fine tuning menu options (and maybe even more). It might even have been a little better since I believe it can get brighter. The bottom line is the ST60 was one of the best bargains and best buys in TV history.
ez1dog and ace54 like this.
Old 03-05-2017, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I had a hard drive crash and lost my links to some of the valuable notes in this thread.

I want to run my screen wiper but can't remember how to get to it. Please remind me.

John
Old 03-06-2017, 04:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by falsedawn View Post
I had a hard drive crash and lost my links to some of the valuable notes in this thread.

I want to run my screen wiper but can't remember how to get to it. Please remind me.
Without being in front of the TV I think this is it.

picture - advanced screen - screen wipe (quicker if you use the up arrow in stead of the down arrow)

Ed
Panasonic VIERA TC-P60ST60 Plasma, Onkyo TX-NR1008 receiver, OPPO BDP-83 region free, Xbox One, PS4, eD[c]12 LCR, Klipsch R-14M surrounds, Rythmik FV15HP sub

Xbox GT / PSN ID - Smigro
BD collection http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...0&categoryid=7
Old 03-07-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro View Post
Without being in front of the TV I think this is it.

picture - advanced screen - screen wipe (quicker if you use the up arrow in stead of the down arrow)
I don't see it there.

John
Old 03-07-2017, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't see it there.
I would have to look when I get home but I think I mis worded it (I do not think it is advanced screen). I think it is

picture - screen - screen wipe

I will let you know for sure when I get home in about an hour.

Ed
Panasonic VIERA TC-P60ST60 Plasma, Onkyo TX-NR1008 receiver, OPPO BDP-83 region free, Xbox One, PS4, eD[c]12 LCR, Klipsch R-14M surrounds, Rythmik FV15HP sub

Old 03-07-2017, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

Menu ---> Picture ---> Screen Settings ---> Screen Wipe

Emotiva XMC-1/XPR-2/XPR-5/DC-1
Samsung UN65KS9800, Oppo UDP-203
Furman PL-PRO DMC 20A, Monster Power HTS-5000
SVS Dual PB12-Plus Subwoofers
Klipsch Legend KLF-20 & KLF-C7(Crites Tweeter/Midrange Diaphragms & Crossovers)
Klipsch Reference RB-5II x 4(Side/Rear Surrounds)
Old 03-08-2017, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
I don't see it there.
It's called Scrolling Bar on my Australian ST60. Not sure where you live, but if you don't have a US model the naming might be different.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 40
^^ Different languages in US and Australia
Old 03-10-2017, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Minecraft game

Has anyone played Minecraft on one of these TVs? Trying to decide whether to keep the Xbox One Minecraft bundle I've got or sell it. I've never played the game so I don't know if it's safe to play on a plasma or not. It looks like the kind of game I avoid playing on my plasmas.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCSeminole View Post
Menu ---> Picture ---> Screen Settings ---> Screen Wipe
Thanks, LCSeminole. I found it. I've run Screen Wipe for a few hours and it hasn't fixed what I thought was IR but may be burn-in. I'll run it longer.
LCSeminole likes this.

John
Old 03-13-2017, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Built in screen wipe doesn't do much. Pixel flipper from the "Wow" disc and similar tools will work better.

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
Old 03-15-2017, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Will do, I actually just started it last night. It ran for about 4 hours overnight (while I turned off the screen saver on my Oppo I forgot to turn off the no activity timer on the ST60 so it shut off after 4 hours) and I restarted it before I left for work and I am going to run it over the weekend in between me using it.

Curious how you made out with running the WOW disc for a while now???
Old 03-15-2017, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post
Curious how you made out with running the WOW disc for a while now???
Thank you for following up. It seems to have helped a bit but I am guessing either the burn is too bad to fully fix or it is just going to take more time. My hope is that a couple hundred hours of the pixel flipper is not enough to fix a few thousand hours or static images and that it will just go away over the next year or so through regular use.

Ed

Old 03-15-2017, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you for following up. It seems to have helped a bit but I am guessing either the burn is too bad to fully fix or it is just going to take more time. My hope is that a couple hundred hours of the pixel flipper is not enough to fix a few thousand hours or static images and that it will just go away over the next year or so through regular use.

I fully expected it to take at least a week straight worth of running and probably several weeks. I would give it minimum of 4 weeks before stopping.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I fully expected it to take at least a week straight worth of running and probably several weeks. I would give it minimum of 4 weeks before stopping.
I did run it for about 8-9 days straight before giving it a break this past Sunday after seeing it was still easily visible. I actually watched Planet Earth last night (Caves section) and there were a few spots where the burn in was really noticeable (almost seemed more noticeable than before I was running the pixel flipper but could be placebo) when they were showing the sky and some sand colored parts.

I will probably wait until this weekend and start it up for another week and spread it out over a couple months or so.

Ed

Old 03-15-2017, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Don't despair yet. Mine was bad even after running the pixel flipper and I thought I was doomed. Now a year later of regular viewing I can't even remember what the burn in looked like. Cleaned up nicely.

Enjoy the TV and don't stress.
Smigro and parkman like this.

Panasonic P60ST60
Sony BDP-S3100
Denon X2000
Old 03-19-2017, 05:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by valkenaar View Post
Don't despair yet. Mine was bad even after running the pixel flipper and I thought I was doomed. Now a year later of regular viewing I can't even remember what the burn in looked like. Cleaned up nicely.

Enjoy the TV and don't stress.
I hate to throw a damp rag on all this - but doesn't a plasma burn about 400w when it is running? That's about 10 kwh in a 24 hour day. In Ca. where rates are approaching 20 cents/kwh that could be a noticeable expense over a couple months.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
I hate to throw a damp rag on all this - but doesn't a plasma burn about 400w when it is running? That's about 10 kwh in a 24 hour day. In Ca. where rates are approaching 20 cents/kwh that could be a noticeable expense over a couple months.

It depends on the size, but the 65" one probably does have an average draw of around 400 watts.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I did run it for about 8-9 days straight before giving it a break this past Sunday after seeing it was still easily visible. I actually watched Planet Earth last night (Caves section) and there were a few spots where the burn in was really noticeable (almost seemed more noticeable than before I was running the pixel flipper but could be placebo) when they were showing the sky and some sand colored parts.

I will probably wait until this weekend and start it up for another week and spread it out over a couple months or so.

One thing I forgot to mention was the Contrast setting. You want to bring that up to 100 and run it in 'Mid' brightness mode. At the very least, you should raise the Contrast up to 90 while running the pixel flipper. This will reduce the amount of time it takes running it to get the same effect.
Smigro likes this.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
One thing I forgot to mention was the Contrast setting. You want to bring that up to 100 and run it in 'Mid' brightness mode. At the very least, you should raise the Contrast up to 90 while running the pixel flipper. This will reduce the amount of time it takes running it to get the same effect.
100% contrast will use the max power draw from the TV and generate the most heat possible.

Doing that for hours and hours straight is putting a lot of needless strain on the TV. Just watch the TV, the IR will either go away or it won't, it's simple as that.
Smigro likes this.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just a little update. After a few weeks of periodically running the pixel flipper the screen issues have not gone away and in certain cases it almost seems like it is more noticeable from time to time when certain colors are on the screen. I try to keep in mind that I only watched a couple movies before doing the WOW disc so it's not like I had a lot viewing time before the process so it could just be as bad as it was and not really improving.

All that being said minus the few times a movie where it catches my eye I would say 85% of the time the issue is not a problem. I wish I would have been a little more thorough when I was checking it out as I would not have bought it if I saw the issue but I think I was just too pumped to get a new TV that I was a little quick with my test...lesson learned.

At this point I am putting a halt to the pixel flipper and will just watch the TV and hope that in time it will eventually fade as the pixels age (not even sure if this is possible but my thought is that over time the pixels should get to the point where they are emitting the same light output thus minimizing the burn in effect). Is this correct thinking or just wishful thinking on my end.

Worst case I got myself a decent basement TV for when I decide to drop the dough and go with an OLED in the future.

Ed

Old 04-02-2017, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 102
All the "burn in" tools available will not work on this tv. Just watch normal full screen content & see if it eventually go away. This series specifically the ST60 has been the retentive tv I've ever owned in the Panny lineup.
Smigro likes this.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:04 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Quote:
Just a little update. After a few weeks of periodically running the pixel flipper the screen issues have not gone away and in certain cases it almost seems like it is more noticeable from time to time when certain colors are on the screen.......At this point I am putting a halt to the pixel flipper and will just watch the TV and hope that in time it will eventually fade as the pixels age (not even sure if this is possible but my thought is that over time the pixels should get to the point where they are emitting the same light output thus minimizing the burn in effect). Is this correct thinking or just wishful thinking on my end.
I have successfully reduced persisent IR from the wife's FOOD NETWORK logo on my GT50 by running Slide Shows of 1920 x 1080 High Def Wallpaper Images overnight, so doing this over many many nights might help your panel.

I have hundreds of jpegs of nature scenes that i've downloaded over the years (mountains, beaches, oceans, lakes, forests, etc) on a USB drive and set the Slide Show to show each image for like 30 seconds IIRC. It did eventually wash the IR away so maybe it will work on Burn In.

They're also nice to have up on the screen as backround content when we're not actually watching TV (like when reading or chatting with guests).

Smigro likes this.

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo 2-Tuner Premiere, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890, MX-780, MX-450, MX-500 Remotes.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
Old 04-02-2017, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
I have successfully reduced persisent IR from the wife's FOOD NETWORK logo on my GT50 by running Slide Shows of 1920 x 1080 High Def Wallpaper Images overnight, so doing this over many many nights might help your panel. -snip.
I would really appreciate it if channels use the flipping logos or clear logos or even no logos. It is a real pain for these TVs and you cannot restrict your significant other from watching some channels or you'd get the dog-house!
Old 04-05-2017, 09:51 AM

My Panasonic ST60 shuts off 1 minute after power on and I get the 6 blink code I unplug re-plug Everything works fine then after about a minute it happens again powers off 6 blink code

Also I don't hear the Tick! noise when powering the TV ON/OFF like I hear on my other plasma just powers ON/OFF silently like LED/LCD TV's

Last edited by ace54; 04-05-2017 at 05:13 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
At this point I am putting a halt to the pixel flipper and will just watch the TV and hope that in time it will eventually fade as the pixels age (not even sure if this is possible but my thought is that over time the pixels should get to the point where they are emitting the same light output thus minimizing the burn in effect). Is this correct thinking or just wishful thinking on my end.

Yes, there is a good chance it will fade with time, but probably will take a least a few months and maybe up to a year.

Quote:
Worst case I got myself a decent basement TV for when I decide to drop the dough and go with an OLED in the future.

For what you paid, it's still a steal. I would have bought it at that price even knowing the IR was there.
Smigro likes this.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace54 View Post
My Panasonic ST60 shuts off 1 minute after power on and I get the 6 blink code I unplug re-plug Everything works fine then after about a minute it happens again powers off 6 blink code

Also I don't hear the Tick! noise when powering the TV ON/OFF like I hear on my other plasma just powers ON/OFF silently like LED/LCD TV's

up-plugged it overnight did the trick for now at least whatever it was got discharged
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led
Gear in this thread