Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread - Page 462 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 155Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #13831 of 13844 Old 05-08-2017, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sheshechic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Suffolk, VA
Posts: 3,006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Crimson View Post
I don't own the ST60, but I do own a VT60, KS8500, AND Vizio P65-C1. ALso briefly had an LG C6 Oled, but returned due to really bad shadow detail and macroblocking-esque artifacts in said dark scenes.

The Vizio P series has better black levels, pop, and contrast than the VT60. The plasma has better depth in the image, default motion blur handling (though the Vizio does have strobing tech that makes motion blur handling very similar to plasma/CRT), and organic quality to the picture.

All in all, I'd say the P series is a decent upgrade to most things in the VT60 but not all. I love both, and would be just as happy with the VT60 if it had a 4K resolution.

Thank you so much for your response. So there aren't any issues with banding or shadow detail on the Vizio?

sheshechic is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #13832 of 13844 Old 05-08-2017, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member
 
Raven Crimson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 840
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 406
No display is perfect. You're gonna have issues if you look for them. Shadow detail seems fine to me. Banding on mostly white screens, sure, but in normal use, the picture is beautiful.
ez1dog and sheshechic like this.

Mad Lust Envy
Raven Crimson is offline  
post #13833 of 13844 Old 05-09-2017, 09:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
Lethean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Posts: 515
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by samijubal View Post
This seems pretty obvious, adjust the settings yourself. If it's too dark there are plenty of settings on the TV, contrast, brightness, gamma, black level, AGC and panel brightness. Don't give up without at least trying.

I would NEVER let someone else tell me where to have picture settings on my TV.
Right. It is obvious and I'm not dense enough to think it isn't. I have just been using my projector so much that it hasn't entirely been worth the effort for me to tinker with them.

Lethean is offline  
 
post #13834 of 13844 Old 05-12-2017, 04:58 AM
Member
 
Snafu68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace54 View Post

Panasonic TV Blink Codes for All Panasonic Models
Mine blinks like 23-25 times... isn't that normal?
I think it has done that as long as i remember and i haven't had any problems with it (P50ST60).

( btw your link is dead )

Went yesterday window shopping to see OLED's in action. They are pretty and good but
imo losing 3D for kind of better image... 3-4k€ min... don't think so...

imo 3D comes back in a year or so. manufacturers just can't give all candy at once
Snafu68 is offline  
post #13835 of 13844 Old 05-30-2017, 09:34 PM
Member
 
ez1dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: st.louis
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm watching Alien on my 55st60 tonite and the picture is Amazing! Just moved it into the bedroom for the Samsung ks8000. In the living room I had it running through a Denon 1612. Switched to a Denon s920w in the living room. I swear the Denon 1612 degraded the PQ.Before the Panny I had a LG42 something and it's PQ was better after the move to the bedroom. Think I'll watch Alien on the ks8000 and compare PQ.
ez1dog is offline  
post #13836 of 13844 Old 05-30-2017, 10:14 PM
Member
 
ez1dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: st.louis
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman View Post
#RandyWalters: Why not OLED TVs? They are similar to plasmas such that they are emissive displays and Rtings rated them at the top. Maybe waiting for the kinks to be worked out and prices to drop?
Price drop is what most of us plasma owners are waiting on. I did break down and purchase the Samsung 55ks8000 (on sale @BB) Sony 930D price never moved at the time! It's cool, but not my first choice.
ez1dog is offline  
post #13837 of 13844 Old 05-30-2017, 10:20 PM
Member
 
ez1dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: st.louis
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve544 View Post
After considerable research I bought a ZT 65 for myself and one for a buddy a week after. Two years later, he reports no issues with the set and neither do I. As much as I will drool over the new OLED screens coming on the market, they can wait as I wait for their prices to come down for when I find it necessary to buy one.

It appears that there are many problems that exist with the ST model...if I had had so many issues, I wouldn't have hesitated to return the monitors.
Four years old this month and never had a problem!
ez1dog is offline  
post #13838 of 13844 Old 05-31-2017, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
samijubal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 852
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by ez1dog View Post
I'm watching Alien on my 55st60 tonite and the picture is Amazing! Just moved it into the bedroom for the Samsung ks8000. In the living room I had it running through a Denon 1612. Switched to a Denon s920w in the living room. I swear the Denon 1612 degraded the PQ.Before the Panny I had a LG42 something and it's PQ was better after the move to the bedroom. Think I'll watch Alien on the ks8000 and compare PQ.
I have 3 600 series Yamaha receivers, one of them, the 673, severely softens the picture to unwatchable when using the component inputs. The other two are fine with component. I've never seen anything degrade when using HDMI.
samijubal is offline  
post #13839 of 13844 Old 06-09-2017, 03:32 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Just finished reading this whole thread.
Issue with calibrating Panasonic ST60 and skin tones

Looks like 50 inch ST60 is really hard to tame using traditional calibration methods (for a plasma).

Now how about 3D LUT calibration? Anyone here tried it? Can the "skin tone" issue in my 50 inch ST60 be tamed with this method?

https://displaycalibrationtools.com/...ion-processor/

http://www.displaycalibrationtools.c...t-calibration/

I'm tempted to buy this 3D LUT box and call a professional calibrator
34-hfx-83 is offline  
post #13840 of 13844 Old 06-09-2017, 03:35 PM
Member
 
ez1dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: st.louis
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G View Post
Oh. Never mind.


It turns out that there was a contrast enhancement that was set to "enabled." I was unfamiliar with this control since it's not present for my slightly older computer's Intel graphics settings. Turned it off and the problem has gone away.


Thanks for listening...
Nothing like fixin your own stuff!
ez1dog is offline  
post #13841 of 13844 Old 06-10-2017, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member
 
cadett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Houma, La.
Posts: 879
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by 34-hfx-83 View Post
Just finished reading this whole thread.
Issue with calibrating Panasonic ST60 and skin tones

Looks like 50 inch ST60 is really hard to tame using traditional calibration methods (for a plasma).

Now how about 3D LUT calibration? Anyone here tried it? Can the "skin tone" issue in my 50 inch ST60 be tamed with this method?

https://displaycalibrationtools.com/...ion-processor/

http://www.displaycalibrationtools.c...t-calibration/

I'm tempted to buy this 3D LUT box and call a professional calibrator
When they say tame, what they're referring too (in my experience of calibrating my own ST60) is how finicky the calibration process was. When adjusting the grey scale, it would affect the gamma & vice versa, so it was a push & pull process that made it frustrating to calibrate this set. You can get this set within tolerance without the lut boxes. Honestly I would not spend that amount of money for maybe 5% improvement over traditional calibration that may not even noticeable improvement with the human eye. The traditional route is very satisfactory, though a pain in the butt.
cadett is offline  
post #13842 of 13844 Old 06-12-2017, 12:45 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadett View Post
When they say tame, what they're referring too (in my experience of calibrating my own ST60) is how finicky the calibration process was. When adjusting the grey scale, it would affect the gamma & vice versa, so it was a push & pull process that made it frustrating to calibrate this set. You can get this set within tolerance without the lut boxes. Honestly I would not spend that amount of money for maybe 5% improvement over traditional calibration that may not even noticeable improvement with the human eye. The traditional route is very satisfactory, though a pain in the butt.
I'm at the crossroads.....

Sell my 50 inch ST60

or

Double down by buy buying a 3D LUT box and hire a calibrator to get the most out of this TV and get good chart & real world results, and finally eliminate this problem (see quote below from the link I posted above)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkamicht View Post
 My main gripe is when watching anything on it, peoples skin tones go from being reddish to greenish between scenes, sometimes even on the same scene (skin can look "spotty" with very different shades, like patches of yellow on faces) It happens on all modes, cinema/custom, etc.
34-hfx-83 is offline  
post #13843 of 13844 Old Yesterday, 08:12 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Bump for advice
34-hfx-83 is offline  
post #13844 of 13844 Old Today, 07:40 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 381
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by 34-hfx-83 View Post
I'm at the crossroads.....

Sell my 50 inch ST60

or

Double down by buy buying a 3D LUT box and hire a calibrator to get the most out of this TV and get good chart & real world results, and finally eliminate this problem (see quote below from the link I posted above)
I copy and pasted this from their website on what the purpose of the 3D Lut box: "The eeColor 3D LUT Box capability for storing 3D Look-Up-Tables also allows for calibration of displays that are not additive and color independent with any complex color interaction throughout the full color volume. This allows for the color calibration of displays with less sophisticated light and electronic control and guarantees that all colors are accurate."

The ST60 has a full menu of calibration options. 10 point white balance, 10 point gamma, and a color management system. I would think your ST60 could be calibrated just fine with some nice looking charts with out the need for a 3D Lut box.
Test Ickles is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led
Gear in this thread



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off