Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread - Page 52 - AVS Forum
First ... 50  51  52 53  54  ... Last
Plasma Flat Panel Displays > Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread
htwaits's Avatar htwaits 02:45 PM 04-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by htapocysp View Post

So ive been watching my st60 now for the last few days. i ran the slides for 100~ hours and used to the wow disc with a combo of d-nice and cnet calibration settings. Overall its pretty dope :P HOWEVER, ive been watching BLUE PLANET on blu ray from my pansonic blu ray player the 230pk and whenever there is grey in the picture it looks snowy to me is this normal or is there a fix for that? i hope i gave enough details. Oh and if anyone has some questions about the tv ill do my best to answer however i am a AV noob.
You left out how close you are sitting when you see this gray that looks snowy. wink.gif

htapocysp's Avatar htapocysp 02:49 PM 04-14-2013
about 8~ feet from 55inch. Its not super snowy but i notice it
htwaits's Avatar htwaits 02:56 PM 04-14-2013
Quote:

about 8~ feet from 55inch. Its not super snowy but i notice it
Eight feet should be fine with a 55" screen. The next area to look at is how your display is configured. What setting are you using for contrast and brightness? Which mode are you using? I don't own a ST60, and I'm not into self calibration, but there are people here who are. You may just have contrast set a bit too high.
JSpectre88's Avatar JSpectre88 02:58 PM 04-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Matadurr View Post

Sounds like dithering, common in all plasmas. Try to not sit too close to your TV. smile.gif

This. Dithering is more noticeable in dark grays however, and can be seen from a normal distance.
Dabois09's Avatar Dabois09 03:37 PM 04-14-2013
I've noticed the dithering as well, but it seems to only be present upon the set warming up. After some time it seems to die down. One thing I have noticed but is not a deal breaker for me is some horizontal line bleed. Doesn't really affect me though or the picture quality for that matter.

Enjoy your sets!
Moonchilde's Avatar Moonchilde 04:30 PM 04-14-2013
The closer you get to calibration, the less you see dither. Often I've noticed the dithering is "snowy" because one of the primaries is driven too much.
leroyjr1's Avatar leroyjr1 04:34 PM 04-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotskins View Post

who cares they give more value then any other company so we cant complain especially since blacks on the st60 measures 0.0016 ftL beating the vt50

Where did you get those measurements from?

Thanks
hotskins's Avatar hotskins 04:38 PM 04-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyjr1 View Post

Where did you get those measurements from?

Thanks

D-Nice.
Its in the Panasonic settings thread
cadett's Avatar cadett 06:37 PM 04-14-2013
While calibrating my 60GT50 I noticed red dither when I went above +5 on red brightness. Even though the meter was reading red low at a 20ire, if I raised it, it would create red red dot on the screen, so I left it at +5 and was still well below a delta e of 3.
Bill Mac's Avatar Bill Mac 07:02 PM 04-14-2013
I haven't followed this thread close enough as far as the issue of the ST60's buzzing. Are ST60 owners reporting any units that are buzzing? I ask as I'm finding that my 60GT50 is buzzing which until recently it was not frown.gif. I have about three days to return it to Best Buy. Of course I would have to wait till the 60ST60 is available but I can always reinstall my 50" plasma till then. So are the ST60s mostly buzz free?

Bill
Moonchilde's Avatar Moonchilde 07:08 PM 04-14-2013
Buzzing during bright content is normal.
openwheelracing's Avatar openwheelracing 07:28 PM 04-14-2013
Buzzing is present but much muted compared to UT50 from 2012.
biggweeziehd's Avatar biggweeziehd 07:28 PM 04-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Eight feet should be fine with a 55" screen. The next area to look at is how your display is configured. What setting are you using for contrast and brightness? Which mode are you using? I don't own a ST60, and I'm not into self calibration, but there are people here who are. You may just have contrast set a bit too high.

This bugged me to death it was the only "flaw" I saw in my st60... Drove me nuts... Calmed down after a few hundred hrs (but NEVER noticed it on my st50)
Bill Mac's Avatar Bill Mac 07:28 PM 04-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonchilde View Post

This could be true. But until today I did not hear any buzzing from my 60GT50 even in bright scenes. I checked for this when I first got it and there was minimal to no buzzing with bright content. Now with the sound muted I can easliy hear the buzzing from 8' away when there is bright contant on the screen.

Bill
RandyWalters's Avatar RandyWalters 07:44 PM 04-14-2013
Quote:

Not on my GT50; i can only hear a slight buzz when i put my ear behind the TV when displaying the brightest slides. It's virtually silent with my face close to the screen.
Dabois09's Avatar Dabois09 07:57 PM 04-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Quote:

Not on my GT50; i can only hear a slight buzz when i put my ear behind the TV when displaying the brightest slides. It's virtually silent with my face close to the screen.

On MY 50ST60 it buzzes when I run the screen wipe utility only when the white slide passes by. I can't hear it over the speakers though; just when muted.
pwiss's Avatar pwiss 08:24 PM 04-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I haven't followed this thread close enough as far as the issue of the ST60's buzzing. Are ST60 owners reporting any units that are buzzing? I ask as I'm finding that my 60GT50 is buzzing which until recently it was not frown.gif. I have about three days to return it to Best Buy. Of course I would have to wait till the 60ST60 is available but I can always reinstall my 50" plasma till then. So are the ST60s mostly buzz free?

Bill

Based on all the great feedback on the ST60 and the fact that the buzzing is concerning you on the GT50 I would return the 50 and get the 60. Know that all plasmas buzz with bright screen content. Some people notice it more than others and then it becomes a distraction.
blackdemongsx's Avatar blackdemongsx 09:04 PM 04-14-2013
ive never owned a plasma till this saturday when i bought the 50ST60 and i have been running Dnice slides to prep my tv for his calibrations settings. I finally heard the buzzin when i put my head right next to the tv. Pretty much when it was the white screen but like i said i had to basically put my head right next to the panel. If this is normal for plasmas than im pretty kool with it. Ill take this normal plasma light buzz over the normal edge lit LED clouding/bleeding any day of the week.
Moonchilde's Avatar Moonchilde 09:18 PM 04-14-2013
Normal buzzing.
jerrolds's Avatar jerrolds 09:22 PM 04-14-2013
Head right next to the panel to hear the buzzing on all white screens? thats pretty damned good - sounds like they improved on last years model which was about 100x better than the Samsung E Series when it came to buzzing.
sawfish's Avatar sawfish 09:34 PM 04-14-2013
Both my 50" ST60 and S60 buzzed about the same. Each was clearly audible 10 feet away over dialogue and soft background music during high APL material like the typical Family Guy living room scene. They were both even worse on white slides. This is with contrast down to about 70. While I normally listen at a slightly higher volume, the buzzing was of course still audible during periods of silence, such as breaks in dialogue and sequences without background music or other continuous noise.
mrkdilkington's Avatar mrkdilkington 09:59 PM 04-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Bill
Inaudible unless you stick your ear next to the back.
MountainMichael's Avatar MountainMichael 11:08 PM 04-14-2013
I have been unable to hear any buzz at any distance with the sound muted.
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar Cleveland Plasma 11:44 PM 04-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by caiman View Post

Does anyone understand Panasonic's decision to price the 65" $900 more than the 60"? Does this price jump actually reflect a proportional production cost, or is the company just trying to milk people who want the biggest? It's frustrating, I really want the 65" but I can't possibly justify that large of a price increase. Sucks. frown.gif

Of course it depends on where you are getting the pricing from, here are the facts. With these facts the set should be 20% more in cost at leaset, because the screen is about 20% bigger. I guess the rest is luxury tax........

Comparing a 60 inch 16:9 TV to a 65 inch 16:9 TV

60 inch 16:9 Set 65 inch 16:9 Set

4:3 (1.33:1) NTSC mode 4:3 (1.33:1) NTSC mode [17.6% larger]

Your viewing area is 39.2 in(w) x 29.4 in(h)
Total viewing area is 1152.48 sq in.
This is the equivalent of a 49.0 inch 4:3 TV

Your viewing area is 42.5 in(w) x 31.9 in(h)
Total viewing area is 1355.75 sq in.
This is the equivalent of a 53.1 inch 4:3 TV

16:9 (1.78:1) native mode 16:9 (1.78:1) native mode [17.6% larger]

Your viewing area is 52.3 in(w) x 29.4 in(h)
Total viewing area is 1537.62 sq in.
This utilizes the full display of the 16:9 TV

Your viewing area is 56.7 in(w) x 31.9 in(h)
Total viewing area is 1808.73 sq in.
This utilizes the full display of the 16:9 TV

16:9 (1.85:1) letterbox mode 16:9 (1.85:1) letterbox mode [17.2% larger]

Your viewing area is 52.3 in(w) x 28.3 in(h)
The diagonal size is 59.5 in
Total viewing area is 1480.09 sq in.
Total area is 57.5 sq in. (3.7%) smaller than 1.78:1

Your viewing area is 56.7 in(w) x 30.6 in(h)
The diagonal size is 64.4 in
Total viewing area is 1735.02 sq in.
Total area is 73.7 sq in. (4.1%) smaller than 1.78:1

16:9 (2.35:1) letterbox mode 16:9 (2.35:1) letterbox mode [17.2% larger]

Your viewing area is 52.3 in(w) x 22.3 in(h)
The diagonal size is 56.9 in
Total viewing area is 1166.29 sq in.
Total area is 371.3 sq in. (24.1%) smaller than 1.78:1

Your viewing area is 56.7 in(w) x 24.1 in(h)
The diagonal size is 61.6 in
Total viewing area is 1366.47 sq in.
Total area is 442.3 sq in. (24.5%) smaller than 1.78:1
jhck66's Avatar jhck66 12:12 AM 04-15-2013
Quote:

So ive been watching my st60 now for the last few days. i ran the slides for 100~ hours and used to the wow disc with a combo of d-nice and cnet calibration settings. Overall its pretty dope :P HOWEVER, ive been watching BLUE PLANET on blu ray from my pansonic blu ray player the 230pk and whenever there is grey in the picture it looks snowy to me is this normal or is there a fix for that? i hope i gave enough details. Oh and if anyone has some questions about the tv ill do my best to answer however i am a AV noob.

If this is The Blue Planet: The Seas of Life blu-ray narrated by Sir David Attenborough it may be the source itself. Look at the back of the case and it will show that the encode is just upconverted from Standard Definition. If it is the IMAX Blue Planet, it has alot of film grain and blemishes. Some of "snowy" scenes are inherent in the original film. These scenes were shot with film stock that was available at that time.
htwaits's Avatar htwaits 01:14 AM 04-15-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMichael View Post

24 hours to go running the D-Nice slides. I have been unable to hear any buzz from my 55ST60 at any distance with the sound muted. I hope it stays that way.

If it gets noisy during the return period, I'll probably return it and get a 60ST60. biggrin.gif Seriously, would rather it just stays quiet so I can keep it. Don't want/need the logistics & costs of returning it to Amazon.
Doesn't Amazon pay for the return?

Keep in mind that there are other reason for a noisy panel other than the one that is related to the fact it's plasma. Loose mounting screws both inside and outside the TV, and failing power supplies are two. If you ever have those problems they are easy and cheep to fix. To know if you have a serious buzzing problem you need to know what's causing it to buzz. It sounds like you have a normal 2013 TV. smile.gif
samijubal's Avatar samijubal 03:11 AM 04-15-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Doesn't Amazon pay for the return?
As of October 2012 they only pay if the TV is defective.
netvlada's Avatar netvlada 04:37 AM 04-15-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

What is your fascination with slides? If you can't see IR in regular content, why go and look for something you can't see? After about 300 hrs, I haved left my HTPC screen on for 3 hrs straight on my GT50 and had no IR. I don't see the ST60 being any different.

I have st50 and IR is very,very,very High.

If i watch some channels with white logo for 1-2 hours ,next 8 hours or more i see thet channels logo not on movies but on for example news channel where is constant white back ground.

When i watch some tennis In HD i see IR from white tennis lines for about 1 or 5 minutes which is very bad or if i watch box match i see white lines from ropes of box field.

I ask him to check for IR from slides,because he dont need to wait for 1 hour to check for IR,just after 15 or 30 min run slides and we will see what to expect from ST60 about IR.
wattheF's Avatar wattheF 06:56 AM 04-15-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by netvlada View Post

I have st50 and IR is very,very,very High.

If i watch some channels with white logo for 1-2 hours ,next 8 hours or more i see thet channels logo not on movies but on for example news channel where is constant white back ground.

When i watch some tennis In HD i see IR from white tennis lines for about 1 or 5 minutes which is very bad or if i watch box match i see white lines from ropes of box field.

I ask him to check for IR from slides,because he dont need to wait for 1 hour to check for IR,just after 15 or 30 min run slides and we will see what to expect from ST60 about IR.

Wait...I thought the slides are just blank panels of solid color???

How would that cause any IR?
TV4Sooner's Avatar TV4Sooner 07:21 AM 04-15-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post

Thanks, Just checked and someone has already left a message for David on the site noting this. He hasn't responded back yet.

Apparently that message is gone now? Can't find it anymore.
Tags: Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led
First ... 50  51  52 53  54  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop