Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread - Page 70 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2071 of 12650 Old 04-21-2013, 08:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 820
That looks like it would be an excellent source of information if I could read it. wink.gif
Thanks anyway though.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 12650 Old 04-21-2013, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've been in conversation with a THX/ISF certified calibrator and he said the 100 hours burn in is a COMPLETE myth and he often does sets out of the box with no measurable difference, is there really any reason you guys are doing it other than since everyone else is?
The more I read the more burn in (display or speaker) just seems like voodoo.
post #2073 of 12650 Old 04-21-2013, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

So this TV had voice guidance? I saw it listed on Panasonic's site but haven't heard anyone mention it so figured it did not make it in this model.

Update....looks like the TV just verbally instructs things. It is voice interactions that is the cooler one not included in this model.
post #2074 of 12650 Old 04-21-2013, 10:25 AM

Hmmm,

the cnet settings seems better in my opinion, the d-nice settings have a nice black level but the cnet ones displays a bit more details in the dark area.
post #2075 of 12650 Old 04-21-2013, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by systemlayers View Post

I've been in conversation with a THX/ISF certified calibrator and he said the 100 hours burn in is a COMPLETE myth and he often does sets out of the box with no measurable difference, is there really any reason you guys are doing it other than since everyone else is?

Well its personal choice if you do it or not......Its supposed to help the phosphers age more evenly since the slides are the only thing you are running for the 1st 100+ hours. As it has been stated over and over though many many poeple just run with the TV out the box adjust to their liking and see no ill effects. What we have seen in the past is that as the set "ages" the picture does "adjust" after a certain amount of time.....In the end though you never need to do anything really, BUT if you want to follow Dnice's settings and get simillar results you "should" follow his method.......
post #2076 of 12650 Old 04-21-2013, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
I totally agree. DNice setting of gamma at 2.6 is too dark and clips the blacks of detail. Also the tone seems too red. BTW I did run the slides for 100 hours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by astateofmind View Post

Hmmm,

the cnet settings seems better in my opinion, the d-nice settings have a nice black level but the cnet ones displays a bit more details in the dark area.
post #2077 of 12650 Old 04-21-2013, 10:56 AM

Got my P50ST60 yesterday and after trying to get D-Nice's slides to run and failing, I just decided to run fullscreen content with some basic picture adjustments. And good lordy, this picture is amazing. There seems to be definite flickering with fast motion in 3D mode (the fins in Finding Nemo are tiring to look at for long periods of time) but otherwise this TV is amazing right out of the box. Even my girlfriend who isn't OCD about PQ noticed a difference immediately. Literally all these little grace notes in The Avengers that we missed on my old Samsung LCD are clear as a bell on this Panasonic. For the first time I feel like I have a TV that is like a mini movie theater screen, and that's only the 50"! All you 60" buyers/owners are in for a treat.
post #2078 of 12650 Old 04-21-2013, 11:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

Just click on the image and it will enlarge enough to make it readable.
Thanks. But I am on a tablet and while tapping it twice does make it bigger, it also makes it blurrier. No big deal.

post #2079 of 12650 Old 04-21-2013, 11:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by systemlayers View Post

I can just imagine that conversation since you clearly have no idea what the slides are for or what "burn in" is.
No one is trying to influence you either way. If you think the slides are a waste of time then dont use them.

post #2080 of 12650 Old 04-21-2013, 11:21 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabois09 View Post

Here's a shot from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

I was wondering if this green line/blob slightly left off center was simply a part of the film or if I have a lemon

Thanks
As a side note the screen seems to be doing an admirable job with reflections off the camera flash cool.gif
post #2081 of 12650 Old 04-21-2013, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Funny you say that I had a 50st60 for 15 days def was no bar. But yes my 60" has it, 95% unnoticeable with content

I saw it too on a 60ST60 at BB, but not on the 50ST60. I think this is a minor annoyance that you can forget about once you start watching content instead of the screen. It's barely visible under bright scenes and your eyes are normally focused towards the middle anyway. If I looked cross-eyed at the 60 inch Samsung below it, I could see it there too, but much less defined. Didn't see it on any of the 50s

To me this is unacceptable! If this vertical line is noticeable in 5% of content it is a defect that I wouldn't want to have to accept.

Should someone start a thread/poll to try to figure out what percentage of people have this vertical line or is that just asking for trouble?

Am I making too big a deal out of this? Is it too much too ask for my new $2000 plus plasma not to have screen uniformity issues?!?! (hypothetically speaking in my case)
post #2082 of 12650 Old 04-21-2013, 11:39 AM

"To me this is unacceptable! If this vertical line is noticeable in 5% of content it is a defect that I wouldn't want to have to accept."

I'm not sure it's a defect. Is there anyone who doesn't have this on the 60? It may be a consequence of how the panel is designed. We need someone to do a teardown. Any volunteers? eek.gif
post #2083 of 12650 Old 04-21-2013, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm not sure it's a defect. Is there anyone who doesn't have this on the 60? It may be a consequence of how the panel is designed. We need someone to do a teardown. Any volunteers?

If it is how the panel is designed, dare I say its a design flaw?

Its strange if the 50's don't have the issue.

I was just always told if a plasma doesn't have perfect screen uniformity then it is defective.

Wonder if the VT60's will have these issues?
post #2084 of 12650 Old 04-21-2013, 11:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inputlag View Post

"To me this is unacceptable! If this vertical line is noticeable in 5% of content it is a defect that I wouldn't want to have to accept."

I'm not sure it's a defect. Is there anyone who doesn't have this on the 60? It may be a consequence of how the panel is designed. We need someone to do a teardown. Any volunteers? eek.gif
Many of the 2012s had it.

post #2085 of 12650 Old 04-21-2013, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Many of the 2012s had it.

Owners...Of those of you that have the vertical line, is it at all bothersome during regular content?

Is it something you can easily live with and don't feel the need to exchange for another panel (for arguments sake, lets assume your replacement would be perfect)??

Am I blowing this issue out of proportion?
post #2086 of 12650 Old 04-21-2013, 11:59 AM

Liked: 35
If someone takes this tv back for this minuscule reason. Hope they have god or someone contracted to make them the perfect tv. If it goes back for that ultra-faint line they prob have never paid attention to any content ever just staring at the panel digging for flaws.

The set is gorgeous.
wattheF likes this.
post #2087 of 12650 Old 04-21-2013, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggweeziehd View Post

If someone takes this tv back for this minuscule reason. Hope they have god or someone contracted to make them the perfect tv. If it goes back for that ultra-faint line they prob have never paid attention to any content ever just staring at the panel digging for flaws.

The set is gorgeous.

ok thanks. I don't own one so I am just trying to get a perspective on the issue
post #2088 of 12650 Old 04-21-2013, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggweeziehd View Post

The set is gorgeous.

Welcome to AVS where looking for flaws is what you are supposed to do instead of watching content wink.gifbiggrin.gif
El Matadurr likes this.
post #2089 of 12650 Old 04-21-2013, 12:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post

Owners...Of those of you that have the vertical line, is it at all bothersome during regular content?

Is it something you can easily live with and don't feel the need to exchange for another panel (for arguments sake, lets assume your replacement would be perfect)??

I OWN a 60ST50. It has the line. I cannot see it when watching regular content. It used to bother me when it was new but its obviously not worth returning it to me. Especially when so many others have reported that they have it too.
Inputlag likes this.

post #2090 of 12650 Old 04-21-2013, 12:23 PM

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Welcome to AVS where looking for flaws is what you are supposed to do instead of watching content wink.gifbiggrin.gif

Lol. As much as I've learned in a small amount of time. Seems better no never know what your looking at. It was fun being average viewer with an average set and being satisfied. Oh well AVS cooked that! :-)
post #2091 of 12650 Old 04-21-2013, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
So I pulled the trigger and swapped out the F5500 for the ST60 and now I have a couple of questions...

If I leave the motion smoother on during 3D playback, will the 2D portions have the soap opera effect?
If I follow D-Nice's settings will the colours pop or will it be a more subdued effect? I love how film looks but I also love colours to really pop off the screen.
If I follow D-Nice's settings does that mean I need to run slides before watching any content? That makes me a sad panda. 130 hours or whatever the number is is an awfully long time.

post #2092 of 12650 Old 04-21-2013, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethean View Post

So I pulled the trigger and swapped out the F5500 for the ST60 and now I have a couple of questions...

If I leave the motion smoother on during 3D playback, will the 2D portions have the soap opera effect?
If I follow D-Nice's settings will the colours pop or will it be a more subdued effect? I love how film looks but I also love colours to really pop off the screen.
If I follow D-Nice's settings does that mean I need to run slides before watching any content? That makes me a sad panda. 130 hours or whatever the number is is an awfully long time.

For question 3 the answer is if you want to have the results that he attained (at least as clsoe you can without counting panel variance) then yes you need to run the slides for the 1st 100+ hours without running any other content....That being said you dont HAVE to follow that meethod many just watch TV and try to stick to full screen non logo material for the 1st few hundred hours or so. The choice is your in how you want to set your TV up however wink.gif
post #2093 of 12650 Old 04-21-2013, 01:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabois09 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Thats great. Several people with 2012 models had a green blob in the middle of the screen. Im glad yours is not like that.

Had me scared. Thank the good Lord I had my old set on hand.
Just viewing other Blu-ray films should have helped you see that it's in this particular transfer. wink.gif
post #2094 of 12650 Old 04-21-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:

Just got my 65ST60 delivered and have watched just a few minus of content before starting D-Nice's slides (couldn't help myself).

Watching regular content -- did not see *anything*. As soon as I started the slides, I noticed the vertical bar on right side on some of the darker grey slides.

So far, do not consider it a deal killer but will see after panel ages more.
post #2095 of 12650 Old 04-21-2013, 01:15 PM

Those who have played around with the settings; is it going to be pretty easy to display the source image as it was meant to be? I can't stand looking at a picture with a ton of post processing and everyone makes it sound like this set is pretty heavy with it.
post #2096 of 12650 Old 04-21-2013, 01:28 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowingChicken View Post

Those who have played around with the settings; is it going to be pretty easy to display the source image as it was meant to be? I can't stand looking at a picture with a ton of post processing and everyone makes it sound like this set is pretty heavy with it.

Yeah, it's relatively simple. Settings that add any effect to the displayed image are clearly labeled as such. From my experience there's nothing you can't turn off in the standard UI; so no extensive service menu nonsense... Not yet at least :-)
post #2097 of 12650 Old 04-21-2013, 01:30 PM

Only thing I'm struggling with thus far is finding some basic tweaks to get a good picture out of my Xbox 360. Seems very green heavy (this and my HD DVR). My BluRay player does not suffer from this whatsoever.
post #2098 of 12650 Old 04-21-2013, 01:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Quote:

No. eek.gif

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Here is the situation. If you literally want to see a movie from DVD or Blu-ray as close to "as it was meant to be" by the director, then you need to have your display professionally calibrated. That's actually the definition of what a calibration should be.

To increase the chances that a professional calibration will get you the results that you're looking for, then you need references. One source of references here at AVS is the thread that's linked in the signature area at the bottom of my post. biggrin.gif

Playing around with settings will probably get you something that's a little better than what you see out of the box. That will depend on you. Some folks go as far as becoming amateur calibrators with some of the required equipment. Some of those amateur calibrators go as far as hiring some of the best calibrators, so that they can learn from them. This later group of amateur calibrators isn't "playing around with settings." They are very serious dudes. wink.gif
post #2099 of 12650 Old 04-21-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Quote:

No. eek.gif

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Here is the situation. If you literally want to see a movie from DVD or Blu-ray as close to "as it was meant to be" by the director, then you need to have your display professionally calibrated. That's actually the definition of what a calibration should be.

To increase the chances that a professional calibration will get you the results that you're looking for, then you need references. One source of references here at AVS is the thread that's linked in the signature area at the bottom of my post. biggrin.gif

Playing around with settings will probably get you something that's a little better than what you see out of the box. That will depend on you. Some folks go as far as becoming amateur calibrators with some of the required equipment. Some of those amateur calibrators go as far as hiring some of the best calibrators, so that they can learn from them. This later group of amateur calibrators isn't "playing around with settings." They are very serious dudes. wink.gif

My interpretation was different: I think he's asking if you can remove things like soap opera effect etc. Not so much accuracy. But in the event he was asking for complete accuracy... Yes you will need it professionally calibrated (don't get it from Best Buy). I myself am having David Evans come down from Portland in the next few months.
post #2100 of 12650 Old 04-21-2013, 01:42 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

I feel like for the kind of money we all spend on a TV it shouldn't have a flaw. My 7 year old TH50PH9UK never had any flaws from day one, but just seems like nowadays all units from all manufactures have a flaw one way or another. Is the line that bad, not really, do I see it during actual content, I do only cause I know exactly where to look. Its more now just need to enjoy the other 98% of the screen that's flawless, considering I tried a very expensive LED before this and was going to over look a page long list of flaws all because well that's just how LED TVs are.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page