Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread - Page 81 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2401 of 12745 Old 04-23-2013, 03:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 11,807
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban Medaglia View Post

Thanks for the link! Another amazing review. Now, if only Best Buy would carry the 65" model in my neck of the woods...
Buy online and get here shipped in wink.gif
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2402 of 12745 Old 04-23-2013, 03:56 PM
Member
 
fester99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriscoCountyJr View Post

The digital audio output will only provide stereo for external HDMI sources since the TV has to report to the external source device it is a stereo (2 speaker) TV set and the device then downconverts all audio to stereo on the HDMI to the TV.
For full multi-channel audio from external sources, you would still need to connect separate optical or coax audio from each external source to your older receiver, just like I do to my 10 year old Denon receiver.
I also separately connect the TV's optical digital audio output to my receiver, for multi-channel audio from internal TV sources including the TV's tuner and internet smart apps like Netflix and Vudu.

You should look at this then
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5557&seq=1&format=2
It should split the audio from the video and put the audio out through Optical(toslink) and video over HDMI.
Sorry about another monoprice link but when it comes to this stuff it is my 1 stop shop.

| Panasonic TC-P60ST60 | Pioneer Elite VSX-23TXH | Sony Playstation 3 | DirecTV HR22-100 |
fester99 is offline  
post #2403 of 12745 Old 04-23-2013, 04:40 PM
Member
 
MonicaJae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoryzero View Post

What what? For the 60"?
oh no my bad: 55"
MonicaJae is offline  
post #2404 of 12745 Old 04-23-2013, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wattheF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotskins View Post

HD Guru awards the TC-P65ST60 5 stars their highest rating

http://hdguru.com/panasonic-tc-p65st60-plasma-hdtv-review/

Wow! what a great review.

I am now 99.9999% sold on the 60'' ST60.

Just need to actually look at it in store (and test hockey) before I commit. None of the stores in the area have it in stock yet.
wattheF is offline  
post #2405 of 12745 Old 04-23-2013, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wattheF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Any opinions on how the Squaretrade Warranties are? Only thing is I need accidental screen protection with 2 little ones around I can't take a chance of getting another TV broken from a flying toy! eek.gif

Anyone know of a warranty plan that you can also get accidental screen protection on?
wattheF is offline  
post #2406 of 12745 Old 04-23-2013, 05:10 PM
Senior Member
 
biggweeziehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Buchanan Michigan
Posts: 353
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post

Wow! what a great review.

I am now 99.9999% sold on the 60'' ST60.

Just need to actually look at it in store (and test hockey) before I commit. None of the stores in the area have it in stock yet.

Its Pretty ugly in a store. Have some HD on a thumb drive and get a remote from the staff
biggweeziehd is offline  
post #2407 of 12745 Old 04-23-2013, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wattheF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggweeziehd View Post

Its Pretty ugly in a store. Have some HD on a thumb drive and get a remote from the staff

yeah plasma's are not served well in those bright conditions.

I mostly just want to make 100% sure the ABL function is smooth and stable and hockey has zero brightness fluctuations.
wattheF is offline  
post #2408 of 12745 Old 04-23-2013, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Blu_One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: LiVe from the Nation's Capital | Canada
Posts: 1,148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post

Wow! what a great review.

I am now 99.9999% sold on the 60'' ST60.

Just need to actually look at it in store (and test hockey) before I commit. None of the stores in the area have it in stock yet.

I'm watching hockey right now on the 65ST60 and it looks amazing (looks better with CNET settings since those are 'brighter' than D-Nice's I find). I've watched four games since last Friday. I've had 3 LCD/LEDs before this plasma and I honestly can barely see a difference, this plasma is bright enough (at home), it actually looks better on this ! 😎

65" PanasonicST60 | Onkyo809 | Oppo103 + 4TB WD HDD
PS4 pre-order | PS3 80GB / 4x USB | 1TB 9865HD | Apple TV3 | Darbee Darblet | AirPort Extreme
5.2 system - 5x Arx A2 + 2x SVS SB12-NSD | Harmony One | Samsung DA-E670
MonsterPower HTS1700 / 2x PRT510 / PRT410 | Monster / Blue Jeans / Emotiva cables
Blu_One is offline  
post #2409 of 12745 Old 04-23-2013, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
eric3316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,711
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 608
So, we keep reading these reviews about all these measurements of blacks like 0.0000163.3333.111 pcccfcdf adam lamberts taco bells pepperoni pizza levels. Well here is what that means in lament terms biggrin.gif













eric3316 is offline  
post #2410 of 12745 Old 04-23-2013, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wattheF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_One View Post

I'm watching hockey right now on the 65ST60 and it looks amazing (looks better with CNET settings since those are 'brighter' than D-Nice's I find). I've watched four games since last Friday. I've had 3 LCD/LEDs before this plasma and I honestly can barely see a difference, this plasma is bright enough (at home), it actually looks better on this ! 😎

Thanks! Yeah I never understood why some people thought hockey looked so bad with plasma. To me everything just looks more natural with plasma including hockey (when properly adjusted of course).

That extra brightness is definitely not a bad thing though. wink.gif
wattheF is offline  
post #2411 of 12745 Old 04-23-2013, 05:49 PM
Member
 
noobhere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
http://www.abt.com/product/67592/Panasonic-TCP60ST60.html

Apply code "insure" to subtract $40 and it comes out to $1447. Free shipping and no tax in most states. Best deal I've found so far.
noobhere is offline  
post #2412 of 12745 Old 04-23-2013, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
cadett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Houma, La.
Posts: 811
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

So, we keep reading these reviews about all these measurements of blacks like 0.0000163.3333.111 pcccfcdf adam lamberts taco bells pepperoni pizza levels. Well here is what that means in lament terms biggrin.gif

It means that black you see in your pics is dark as s*** son!
cadett is online now  
post #2413 of 12745 Old 04-23-2013, 06:04 PM
Member
 
blackdemongsx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Inspect it thoroughly with a flashlight before turning it on. After its on look for screen uniformity issues and turn up the volume and listen for buzzing.
is the flashlight test really necessary. I mean ive had my tv for about a week and 3 days and the screen looks fine on and off. Will the tv end up cracking over time if it has a small hairline crack. I got the BBY 2yr warranty since it covers screen burn in but i might end up getting square trade warranty also so it will cover physical damage. kinda like double wrapping it just to be Xtra safe haha
blackdemongsx is offline  
post #2414 of 12745 Old 04-23-2013, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wattheF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdemongsx View Post

is the flashlight test really necessary. I mean ive had my tv for about a week and 3 days and the screen looks fine on and off. Will the tv end up cracking over time if it has a small hairline crack. I got the BBY 2yr warranty since it covers screen burn in but i might end up getting square trade warranty also so it will cover physical damage. kinda like double wrapping it just to be Xtra safe haha

Does the square trade cover physical damage as in accidental damage? I just read the fine print it I don't think it does. Actually there isn't really any fine print info avail on the site that I could find.
wattheF is offline  
post #2415 of 12745 Old 04-23-2013, 06:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 11,867
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdemongsx View Post

is the flashlight test really necessary. I mean ive had my tv for about a week and 3 days and the screen looks fine on and off. Will the tv end up cracking over time if it has a small hairline crack. I got the BBY 2yr warranty since it covers screen burn in but i might end up getting square trade warranty also so it will cover physical damage. kinda like double wrapping it just to be Xtra safe haha
If you havent noticed anything yet then I wouldnt be concerned. Especially with a good warranty.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Bond 007 is online now  
post #2416 of 12745 Old 04-23-2013, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wattheF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Looks like its safe to say the ST60 beats out the flagship Samsung F8500 in black level AND contrast ratio...and at about half the price!
wattheF is offline  
post #2417 of 12745 Old 04-23-2013, 07:14 PM
Newbie
 
03gmarq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm new to the site. Just got my 60ST60 and love it so far. One question I had.. How do i shut the tv speakers off so I can use my sound bar exclusively? Played with all the sound settings and cant find it
03gmarq is offline  
post #2418 of 12745 Old 04-23-2013, 07:16 PM
Senior Member
 
RodChester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Springfield, IL
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03gmarq View Post

I'm new to the site. Just got my 60ST60 and love it so far. One question I had.. How do i shut the tv speakers off so I can use my sound bar exclusively? Played with all the sound settings and cant find it

Can't you just turn the volume on the tv down all the way?
RodChester is offline  
post #2419 of 12745 Old 04-23-2013, 07:18 PM
Member
 
scientifix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have been crouching to pounce on the 65ST60, to upgrade my 9 yr Panny plasma, but was thinking of doing it only when its price hits 2k. But with the currently attractive and tempting pricing on the 60ST60 I am beginning to wonder if I should get that one instead and start enjoying it NOW smile.gif Does anyone know if the 65ST50 hit 2K or less at any point in time at all in any of the mainstream B & M or online stores and if it did how long after the introduction was that? Asking this just to get an idea of the chances of the 65ST60 hitting 2K in the near future ... The wait is killing me ...
scientifix is offline  
post #2420 of 12745 Old 04-23-2013, 07:20 PM
Member
 
blackdemongsx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

If you havent noticed anything yet then I wouldnt be concerned. Especially with a good warranty.
so pretty much avoid doing this and ill be okay haha
http://youtu.be/TncGrpYVBpA
blackdemongsx is offline  
post #2421 of 12745 Old 04-23-2013, 07:26 PM
Newbie
 
03gmarq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodChester View Post

Can't you just turn the volume on the tv down all the way?
Yes, but if I program the sound bar to accept the tv remotes volume then it adjusts both the tv and the sound bar. I was hoping to use just the tv remote to control the sound bar volume and not the tv volume
03gmarq is offline  
post #2422 of 12745 Old 04-23-2013, 07:26 PM
Member
 
trp3383's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What does 1080p pixel direct do? And why does everyone say to disable it? Thanks
trp3383 is online now  
post #2423 of 12745 Old 04-23-2013, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
Moonchilde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 557
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 104
1080p direct is fine if you set the HDMI content manually to photos. Otherwise, you get a bunch of halos around every edge.
Moonchilde is offline  
post #2424 of 12745 Old 04-23-2013, 07:32 PM
Member
 
trp3383's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonchilde View Post

1080p direct is fine if you set the HDMI content manually to photos. Otherwise, you get a bunch of halos around every edge.
thanks
trp3383 is online now  
post #2425 of 12745 Old 04-23-2013, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Latinoheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 1,610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03gmarq View Post

Yes, but if I program the sound bar to accept the tv remotes volume then it adjusts both the tv and the sound bar. I was hoping to use just the tv remote to control the sound bar volume and not the tv volume

On 2012 models you go to Setup-Viera link settings - default speakers - and choose THEATER. I'm not sure if its the same for 2013

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
Latinoheat is offline  
post #2426 of 12745 Old 04-23-2013, 07:33 PM
Senior Member
 
biggweeziehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Buchanan Michigan
Posts: 353
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post

yeah plasma's are not served well in those bright conditions.

I mostly just want to make 100% sure the ABL function is smooth and stable and hockey has zero brightness fluctuations.

I Don't believe there is one post on this thread about brightness fluctuations. And I have watched hockey as a test even though it does not interest me. And it looks great really bright for a plasma.
biggweeziehd is offline  
post #2427 of 12745 Old 04-23-2013, 07:38 PM
Member
 
cotoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Anyone have sound/audio settings that they find works well for them? Perchance the Panasonic SC-BTT190 Blu Ray player as well?
cotoor is offline  
post #2428 of 12745 Old 04-23-2013, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wattheF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggweeziehd View Post

I Don't believe there is one post on this thread about brightness fluctuations. And I have watched hockey as a test even though it does not interest me. And it looks great really bright for a plasma.

Thanks. Yeah all good stuff. I haven't seen any mentions either so I am really not worried about it. Panny's always have good ABL function.

I went through fluctuating brightness issues with Samsung plasma's (and many people never even could see the issue) with hockey so I just need to test and confirm it with my own eyes.
wattheF is offline  
post #2429 of 12745 Old 04-23-2013, 07:55 PM
Senior Member
 
biggweeziehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Buchanan Michigan
Posts: 353
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post

Thanks. Yeah all good stuff. I haven't seen any mentions either so I am really not worried about it. Panny's always have good ABL function.

I went through fluctuating brightness issues with Samsung plasma's (and many people never even could see the issue) with hockey so I just need to test and confirm it with my own eyes.

Yeah I skimmed the f8500 thread ail seems its still a prob
biggweeziehd is offline  
post #2430 of 12745 Old 04-23-2013, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wattheF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggweeziehd View Post

Yeah I skimmed the f8500 thread ail seems its still a prob

Indeed, that's why I ruled out the 8500 a while ago. Its crazy to me that Samsung still hasn't worked out this issue after 3 years.
wattheF is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off