Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread - Page 88 - AVS Forum
First ... 86  87  88 89  90  ... Last
Plasma Flat Panel Displays > Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread
Tony1's Avatar Tony1 01:26 AM 04-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggweeziehd View Post

Returned my st50, fuzzy picture drove me crazy st60 is great. The difference is night and day. I know what you mean man to me it was people's faces and eyes were down right blurry. You will like the 60 much better.

I am shocked that the pro reviewers did not report any of this? How do we notice this, and them with all their super advanced equipment miss it? On some channels I do get
a very crisp picture, but on most, i don't.. I really realized it when I would go to my cousins restaurant where he has a 50" base model plasma that's over 5 years old, and I'm envious over
the picture it displays over my 2 month old vt50.. LOL

fester99's Avatar fester99 01:30 AM 04-25-2013
Quote:

That contradicts 99% of the posts on here. If that was the case I could just run full screen content non-stop for 100hrs.
You are correct and you could have run full screen content for 100 hours and then put the settings in. No two panels will be the same if they were ISF calibrators would be screwed once they calibrated a single tv and someone posted the settings. So even if you duplicate someone else's break-in method exactly you will never be able to simple duplicate their calibration. With that being said his calibrated settings will be close to a good setting for your panel but it might have some differences that need tweaked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omni009 View Post

I was considering that Ideallume one. Do you think the one in that Youtube video would work just as well? I want backlight, but not TOO much...a very light one.

The Ideal-Lume has a black strip inside of the cylindrical bulb cover that allows you to adjust the brightness in a crude way. Pluse they give you 2 bulbs in the standard model. While the LED strip is cheaper I can not verify from the description it will run at 6500k. The Ideal Lumes do produce 6500k light and will provide a balanced light. I have one and love it.
Bond 007's Avatar Bond 007 03:20 AM 04-25-2013
Quote:

I was considering that Ideallume one. Do you think the one in that Youtube video would work just as well? I want backlight, but not TOO much...a very light one.
Its perfect for me but they offer a dimmer switch for it if you want.
Bond 007's Avatar Bond 007 03:39 AM 04-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by fester99 View Post

While the LED strip is cheaper I can not verify from the description it will run at 6500k.
There are a couple of reviewers that claim they measured the LEDs at 6500k. They work great for me. I chose them over your option because they are much smaller, a lot easier to install and use a lot less electricity. And if you do want to dim them they offer a universal dimmer switch that works great to set them anywhere between full on and off. The Ideal-Lume is old tech imo.
Bond 007's Avatar Bond 007 04:15 AM 04-25-2013
Just a thought....
They have been talking about it for a while but the Senate just passed a law making it easier for States to collect taxes on online purchases. I dont know the details but the days of avoiding taxes by buying online could soon be over. How soon is anyones guess.
wirelessroute's Avatar wirelessroute 04:47 AM 04-25-2013
can you guys tell me if its worth the extra $700 for 65 inch ? Just worried that if I get 60 might be disappointed and wish I got 65 but damn $700 more killing me. Just stuck and can't decide.
Siting 12 feet away and currently have 50 Inch. Put some painter tape on the wall last night behind the current TV the 65 looks but bigger just hate the price jump. What are the chances 65ST60 will be down below 2K anytime soon?

60 Inch ST60
60.1 Viewable
55.0” x 32.4"

65 inch ST60
64.7 viewable
59.1” x 34.7”
eric3316's Avatar eric3316 04:51 AM 04-25-2013
Quote:

Plugged in some settings

Tried plasma buying guide's on my 50st60(haven't tried them on my 60st60) = super red (looked nice after lowering red hue in w/b menu)

Rest of the settings were on the 60st60

CNET = green flat dull

Cadett = very green greener than cinema

Dnice = tinted red also looked very nice once I adjusted red hue (very pleasing, hands down best for my set)

What I learned is all these settings are prob perfect for the sets they derived from but are no-where near perfect for my set. So as much as I want to save my money ill prob bite the bullet and get a calibration.

Also I followed Dnice's instructions to a T. Prob had it set up for slides within 5-10 minutes of powering on and ran slides continuously for exactly 100hrs. Although my set looks fantastic with his settings and some minor adjustments, I don't think I would torture myself with slides again. I would just watch the set and plug them in whenever.

As I said I'm sure all the above cals were fine just not for my set. But if Dnice's weren't so red before my adjustment I would be fully on board with the slides.
I agree, Cadett's settings are extremely green on my TV. I also am using D-Nice's settings and lowered the red hue as recommended. I also have been switching between warm 1 and warm 2.

I also tried CNET's settings and found the colors to be more saturated compared to D-Nice's lifelike picture.
BiggNewt's Avatar BiggNewt 04:52 AM 04-25-2013
Did anyone come from a TC-P--GT30 Model? If so, is there noticeable improvement? Particularly in color accuracy over the GT30? I'm thinking I could sell my 60GT30 for close to the MSRP of the 60ST60 Model...
HD2Blu's Avatar HD2Blu 04:52 AM 04-25-2013
All I can say is you all and this thread has officially ruined me...after playing with all the pro settings last night and this morning, I saw how much you can change the color on this picture and now all I see is faults....ARRRrRr

What is frustrating me now is that I now realize HOW much I can adjust the picture but I don't know how to? Or what I need to do.

I know I will now eventually just get it calibrated, but in the meantime if I go buy the Disney WOW disc will I be messing with all the pro settings or is it simply just playing with the main settings?
Bond 007's Avatar Bond 007 04:57 AM 04-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD2Blu View Post

All I can say is you all and this thread has officially ruined me...after playing with all the pro settings last night and this morning, I saw how much you can change the color on this picture and now all I see is faults....ARRRrRr

I know I will now eventually just get it calibrated, but in the meantime if I go buy the Disney WOW disc will I be messing with all the pro settings or is it simply just playing with the main settings?
The WOW disc doesnt have any RGB settings but it does have a way to set the gamma.
Shady195's Avatar Shady195 05:21 AM 04-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

I agree, Cadett's settings are extremely green on my TV. I also am using D-Nice's settings and lowered the red hue as recommended. I also have been switching between warm 1 and warm 2.

I also tried CNET's settings and found the colors to be more saturated compared to D-Nice's lifelike picture.

Ahh the difference in peoples panels and eyes..

To me, Cadetts are the most natural looking, skin tones look fleshy, not red..

Dnice, Cnets and Plasmabuying guides all have a nasty red push to me. For example in the dark knight opening scene, the greyish tan color that the concrete should be is almost pink.. Same with the grey pavement.. this trend shows in a lot of movies I watched switching between cadetts, dnice and cnets

Appreciate these people posting their settings for us to use, and really it comes down to how it looks on your panel to you. Will deff be getting this set calibrated at some point.
DonTBarnes's Avatar DonTBarnes 05:25 AM 04-25-2013
Quote:

Let me know what they do for you. Maybe if they actually give a damn beyond canned responses I'll let them know all the stuff that happened the last time I tried to buy a TV from them.

This morning I cancelled my Sears order, rescheduled for 10 May, and ordered from Amazon for a 30 April delivery. They deliver free and will lug the monster upstairs to the office and set it up, and I got $50 bucks off ($1449) for opening an account (after all these years I broke down). I'll still be happy to talk with Sears and explain why they lost my business. During the conversation, the rep did tell me, finally, that they do not have the sets in their warehouse yet.
pos1121's Avatar pos1121 05:32 AM 04-25-2013
Quote:

That contradicts 99% of the posts on here. If that was the case I could just run full screen content non-stop for 100hrs.

You could do that too...
77Rivers's Avatar 77Rivers 05:43 AM 04-25-2013
Question? A st60 right of the box is it ok to use D nices settings or should i not mess with the setting? or are there some out that are up before the 100 hour mark?
Bond 007's Avatar Bond 007 05:54 AM 04-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Rivers View Post

Question? A st60 right of the box is it ok to use D nices settings or should i not mess with the setting? or are there some out that are up before the 100 hour mark?
Last year he posted some "out of the box" settings but he didnt do it this year. You can try his panel prep settings but they probably wont look as good if you havent done the prep.
HD2Blu's Avatar HD2Blu 06:03 AM 04-25-2013
I read everyone post yesterday that TV screen size should be set to H size 1 but when I set that it makes a kind of "fish bowl" effect. Why is this so difficult? When I set it to H size 2 it seems more "normal". What is the H size doing? Is one stretching and one cropping?
Tim Akin's Avatar Tim Akin 06:26 AM 04-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirelessroute View Post

can you guys tell me if its worth the extra $700 for 65 inch ? Just worried that if I get 60 might be disappointed and wish I got 65 but damn $700 more killing me. Just stuck and can't decide.
Siting 12 feet away and currently have 50 Inch. Put some painter tape on the wall last night behind the current TV the 65 looks but bigger just hate the price jump. What are the chances 65ST60 will be down below 2K anytime soon?

60 Inch ST60
60.1 Viewable
55.0” x 32.4"

65 inch ST60
64.7 viewable
59.1” x 34.7”

Same question from me. Went last night to take a look and was hoping I wouldn't be able to tell much difference between the 60 and 65.....but I could mad.gif $900 seems like a lot for 5"
eric3316's Avatar eric3316 06:43 AM 04-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadett View Post

Not at all. If you notice, I think custom is defaulted at 100, if I remember correctly. This set does get ir, but it disappears extremely fast. Quite impressed.
Yup, I have seen IR left from the menu's while running slides last night. The word 'Menu' stuck out the most. Slides didn't get rid of it immediatley but the Disney WOW Pixel flipper took care of it. Feel like it should have cleared up much more easier then that though. It is not like the menu was open for hours. Just occasionaly to change some stuff around.

I am just glad I have a Best Buy 2 year extended warranty that covers burn in. I am actually contemplating moving up to the 5 year for around $100 more.
mhenrickson's Avatar mhenrickson 06:46 AM 04-25-2013
I finally got through the 100 hour slide period and last night got to hook up my components and enter the D-Nice settings. My initial thoughts on this TV - it's freaking AWESOME.

I am upgrading from a 10 year old 43" Samsung DLP to the 60" ST60. I always thought my DLP had a great picture, but this Panasonic blows it away. The colors and black level were gorgeous. I have never seen such deep blacks on a TV before. The colors were beautiful, and I did not notice any excessive reds as others have posted - although I suspect I'm not as adept at picking out small subtleies like that.

One thing I was most concerned about was glare/reflections. This set handles them as well as my DLP (which had a matte screen) for normal viewing I would say. Although I haven't put a ton of daytime viewing in yet. This set is plenty bright for me and I had no issue thinking the picture was too dim/dark.

Needless to say the picture was great with HD sources, but even a regular DVD movie looked quite nice. Obviously, not equal to Bluray, but pretty damn good, and a definite upgrade from the old TV.

Two negatives that stood out to me.
1) The bezel is super reflective and the glare from any lights is indeed distracting. I wish that had more of a matte finish. I'll probably get used to this over time, but it is definitely noticable.

2) I put in a DVD of a CBS broadcast college basketball game (not HD). The picture was pretty bad. I'm not sure if there are settings I can change for pulldown or Hz or any of that stuff (which I do not totally understand). I will have to search around to see if maybe some setting in the DVD player or the TV can be changed to fix this. The DVD for the movie I tried looked great, so maybe it is DVD of TV broadcasts? I did not try any other DVD's of TV shows, but will have to do that to see how the picture looks. Maybe it's just that specific DVD that is not the best.

Overall, I could not be more excited about buying this TV.
wirelessroute's Avatar wirelessroute 06:56 AM 04-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Akin View Post

Same question from me. Went last night to take a look and was hoping I wouldn't be able to tell much difference between the 60 and 65.....but I could mad.gif $900 seems like a lot for 5"

Fudge, yeah I could tell the difference on my painter tape also that I put on my wall. The 65 would make it like a cinema in my living room lol! Guess I might as well pull the trigger on the 65 douting these guys will come below 2K anytime before 2014 since Panasonic has some weird price restrictions for authorized sellers
eric3316's Avatar eric3316 06:58 AM 04-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady195 View Post

Ahh the difference in peoples panels and eyes..

To me, Cadetts are the most natural looking, skin tones look fleshy, not red..

Dnice, Cnets and Plasmabuying guides all have a nasty red push to me. For example in the dark knight opening scene, the greyish tan color that the concrete should be is almost pink.. Same with the grey pavement.. this trend shows in a lot of movies I watched switching between cadetts, dnice and cnets

Appreciate these people posting their settings for us to use, and really it comes down to how it looks on your panel to you. Will deff be getting this set calibrated at some point.
When switching between Cadett's settings and D-Nice's you can really see the red push in skin tones but everything else looks really good. With Cadett's settings it kind of puts a green hue on the whole picture and again becomes obvious when you switch between the 2 different settings.

For D-Nice Settings, try to lower the Red Hue in the W/B setting to zero and choose Warm1. I believe this might help overcome the red push. I know with Warm1 the black looks more black and the white's look more white. I haven't compared the 2 settings using Warm1 on D-Nice settings yet but I am guessing it will fix some colors that people do not like. Post back your results.

Again, these are really more like starting points and not the end all and be all. Everyone's perception might be different, everyone's panel might be different but the more we share the better it is for everyone to achieve a good looking panel in their own home.
scientifix's Avatar scientifix 07:03 AM 04-25-2013
Quote:

60 Inch ST60
60.1 Viewable
55.0” x 32.4"

65 inch ST60
64.7 viewable
59.1” x 34.7”

I am exactly in the same boat. Have a 50 inch plasma now, sit at about 12 feet, want to upgrade and had made up my mind that when I upgrade it would be to 65. Now pretty much zeroed in on ST60 but but the price difference between the 60" and 65" is making me think about "compromising" to the 60". But considering the fact that the 65ST60 at 2.5K is about 50% of what I paid for my 50" Panasonic Plasma 9 years ago ... smile.gif
Going this weekend with the boss (wink.gif to check out in local BB store.
blackdemongsx's Avatar blackdemongsx 07:12 AM 04-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

The WOW disc doesnt have any RGB settings but it does have a way to set the gamma.
I have a question about the Disney WOW disc. Will it be beneficial
to get the disney WOW bluray disc for the pixel flipper even though i plan on getting my tv calibrated later or will the panasonic screen wipe work just as good as the WOW pixel flipper. Im just wondering if it would be good to just have around incase i need it for anything. Thank you
wirelessroute's Avatar wirelessroute 07:14 AM 04-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by scientifix View Post

I am exactly in the same boat. Have a 50 inch plasma now, sit at about 12 feet, want to upgrade and had made up my mind that when I upgrade it would be to 65. Now pretty much zeroed in on ST60 but but the price difference between the 60" and 65" is making me think about "compromising" to the 60". But considering the fact that the 65ST60 at 2.5K is about 50% of what I paid for my 50" Panasonic Plasma 9 years ago ... smile.gif
Going this weekend with the boss (wink.gif to check out in local BB store.

LMAO my boss (for those unmarried its the Wife) would probably choke me if she found out I spend $700 more for 5"inches Ha!
My coworker is not helping any he to me to go big or go home. He said go 65 and don't look back , dammit!
HD2Blu's Avatar HD2Blu 07:23 AM 04-25-2013
I am a little surprised at some of the differences I notice in everyone's settings. My daughter has been watching Despicable Me every morning for the last week. After I put in DNice's settings last night we put in Despicable Me again this morning and at the end when the main villain is wearing a pink suit it looks like burnt rust not pink at all. I know this is probably my TV, my own preferences, etc etc...I guess i was just expecting to experience the WOW everyone else has had to DNice's settings. I am gonna pick up the Disney WOW disc today and play around with that some. I'm sure I will get this TV looking how I want it to, I just need to spend some more time with it. I think I will call off work for the next 2 weeks and just watch movies until I am pleased smile.gif

Another question I have - would my bluray player make much of a difference in the picture too? Do I need to mess with the settings on my player also? I am using a Sony S590 3D. I also have a Samsung BDUP5000 (combo HDDVD/bluray) which supposedly has a rocking picture (but I wanted a 3D player.
eric3316's Avatar eric3316 07:23 AM 04-25-2013
Quote:

Fudge, yeah I could tell the difference on my painter tape also that I put on my wall. The 65 would make it like a cinema in my living room lol! Guess I might as well pull the trigger on the 65 douting these guys will come below 2K anytime before 2014 since Panasonic has some weird price restrictions for authorized sellers
Yes it is a nice difference in size. While it is only 4-5" you are actually getting about 17% more viewing area.

Right now I sit around 14ft from my TV and have a 60" ST. By know means do I feel like I have a small TV. As a matter of fact before coming to this website I was looking to get a 55" as it was replacing an older 52" TV. I thought who needs bigger then a 55" TV.

Well, then you come here and everyone wants to feel like they are at a movie theater and you need the biggest thing you can get. So after going through a few different 55" TV's I tried a 60" LG Plasma. I had the LG in my home at the same time I had an LG 55LM7600 as well so was able to do a good comparison of size. I did not like the LG Plasma at all and up to the 7600 LED it just lacked to me. So I needed to make a decision to either go with a better 55" picture or lesser 60". I was going to go with the 55". Let's be real, 55" is not small by no means. Also, budget plays a big role in what we can and cannot do!

Anyway, when I had both TV's in my home I stumbled across a good deal on a Samsung 60" Plasma and bought it. I now had size and quality. Sent the other 2 back. Anyway, moving forward a few weeks I no longer have the Sammy but I have a 60" ST. I couldn't imagine even thinking about going bigger, well that is until I keep reading things on this forum!!!!!!! If you keep reading you will never think you have enough. At 12ft people will tell you that you need to go with a 70" to get a real movie like feel.

Anyway, sure there is a difference from 60 - 65" and if I could afford it I would move up in size, heck I would just go with a 70 or 80". I actually won't tell my friends the size TV I bought because they will think I am crazy buying a 60" TV. Before reading this site I would have thought I was crazy also!!!!

Anyway, if you can afford the larger sizes go for it! Yes there is defintely a difference. Will it be the end of the world or ruin your viewing pleasure by going down 1 size, it shouldn't. You will still have a pretty large TV. Look at Shady, he went from a 70" to a 60" . Going down in size from what you currently have will always be harder then if you buy a larger size then what you already have. And he seems pretty happy. Although I am waiting to hear him say he is returning it for a larger size : )

Now non related to the rest of this post, I have been watching more and more 3d on this Tv and I must say I am quite impressed with the picture quality. The field of depth is amazing without sacrificing the level of popout. I have had an LG LED passive 3d TV and a Samsung Plasma Active 3d set and this panasonic seems to give the best 3d picture out of them all.
systemlayers's Avatar systemlayers 07:23 AM 04-25-2013
Tell her that 5 inches will be the best 5 inches she's ever had for $700!
wirelessroute's Avatar wirelessroute 07:31 AM 04-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

Now non related to the rest of this post, I have been watching more and more 3d on this Tv and I must say I am quite impressed with the picture quality. The field of depth is amazing without sacrificing the level of popout. I have had an LG LED passive 3d TV and a Samsung Plasma Active 3d set and this panasonic seems to give the best 3d picture out of them all.

Now that's just what I wanted to hear as 3D is one big reasons I am buying a new tv and had tough time choosing active vs passive. Then tough between Samsung e7000 vs ST60
Best Buy and there demo of passive with the LG 55 inch is terrible was to close and can see small black lines almost like it was 1080i vs 1080p ..weird
eric3316's Avatar eric3316 07:46 AM 04-25-2013
Quote:

Now that's just what I wanted to hear as 3D is one big reasons I am buying a new tv and had tough time choosing active vs passive. Then tough between Samsung e7000 vs ST60
Best Buy and there demo of passive with the LG 55 inch is terrible was to close and can see small black lines almost like it was 1080i vs 1080p ..weird
Yes, with a passive TV if you are to close you can definitley see lines throughout the screen. You need to make sure you are a good distance away. No problems like that with active 3d.

Also, I am able to watch it fine with my lights on. I do not get flicker or headaches or any of that stuff. Some people are more sensitive though like my wife. She would even need to take the passive glasses off after a while.

I went to do a test the other night with Avatar 3d and had my wife watch a little part of it with me. She was pretty imerrsed in the picture and did not complain about the glasses or anything. When we spoke about the quality of the 3d she said to me, yeah now that I think about it I did not want you to turn it off which means she was enjoying the experience without eye strain or fatigue although we only watched about 15 minutes or so. The Panasonic glasses are real good as well and they actually do fit over prescreption glasses without a problem. Thought that would be a problem at first but it was not. They are really comfortable as well and of course Samsung's $20 glasses work with this TV although the Panasonic glasses are more comfortable of the 2 and have a nice cushion on the nose piece.
Urga's Avatar Urga 07:55 AM 04-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post

Looks like its safe to say the ST60 beats out the flagship Samsung F8500 in black level AND contrast ratio...and at about half the price!

The black level was measured at ST60 0.005 cd/m2 :

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panasonic-tx-p42st60-201303312779.htm

The F8500 in 0.014 cd/m² ... wink.gif
Tags: Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led
First ... 86  87  88 89  90  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop