post #2701 of 12940 Old 04-25-2013, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1 View Post

You can just get a square trade warranty from costco for 99 bucks.. I am not sure why you would need to insure aganist the tv pyshically breaking,, do you live in an earthquake zone? lol
You stated that your GT50 is 3 years old,, How did you get the set a full year and half before the official release date?

No! My 3 year old son broke my new GT50! That's why I need accident damage coverage. Not taking that chance again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2702 of 12940 Old 04-25-2013, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mine finally arrived today. 60" ST60. Got the slides going for 2 hours so far 98 to go redface.gif I have it set up in a back room so I don't want to mess around with it. On Monday night I'll get it wired, mounted, and setup just how I like and should be good to go from there.
post #2703 of 12940 Old 04-25-2013, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethean View Post

So false contouring and line bleeding...Anyone experience that with this set? How does it handle motion? Any sudden pops?

Anyone? I know the ST50 was prone to it and thought I read something about it in this thread but I don't want to read all 91 pages. Again. :P

post #2704 of 12940 Old 04-25-2013, 02:40 PM

Liked: 12
Sometimes I see line bleed, sometimes i dont. Cant say ive noticed any contouring.
post #2705 of 12940 Old 04-25-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Not to mention that a TV bought in the USA then taken to Canada has NO WARRANTY. Pretty risky.
This is good news; bad news.

I was trying to rationalize the idea of doing this , but my impression is its not worth it.
post #2706 of 12940 Old 04-25-2013, 03:06 PM

My daughter watched a marathon of old Cartoon Network off of Netflix. That dreaded black and white logo! Ive been trying to get rid of it for the past few days but I can still see it at the bottom right of the screen when I run the screen wipe. It has softened a bit but it is still visible.
post #2707 of 12940 Old 04-25-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam61 View Post

Mine finally arrived today. 60" ST60. Got the slides going for 2 hours so far 98 to go redface.gif I have it set up in a back room so I don't want to mess around with it. On Monday night I'll get it wired, mounted, and setup just how I like and should be good to go from there.

I guess I love being miserable. I set it right up in the living room and I sit here typing with flashes of grey, red, green, and blue picking on me in the peripheral. Almost 30 hours in, so at this point I think I'm going to make it the distance without cracking. I sometimes wonder if Dnice is running a social experiment of internet driven obsessive compulsive acts based on the advice of assumed experts.

"Let's throw a bunch of colorful slides in a zip file on the internet and see how many people will actually repeat them for 4 days straight."

smile.gif
post #2708 of 12940 Old 04-25-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayoner View Post

My daughter watched a marathon of old Cartoon Network off of Netflix. That dreaded black and white logo! Ive been trying to get rid of it for the past few days but I can still see it at the bottom right of the screen when I run the screen wipe. It has softened a bit but it is still visible.
If you do not have the Disney Wow disc already I recommend purchasing it. It is like $20 from Amazon. It has a pixel flipper that is known to do well with IR. I ran it and upped the contrast and it got rid of some IR after a little bit that the slides did not remove after a few hours.

Eventually it would go away from just watching content though but having it leave sooner then later is always better.
post #2709 of 12940 Old 04-25-2013, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethean View Post

Anyone? I know the ST50 was prone to it and thought I read something about it in this thread but I don't want to read all 91 pages. Again. :P

You can search threads for specific terms like "bleed" and "contouring"....
I don't have an ST60, but FWIW, here are some comments from reviews:

CNET TC-P55ST60 Review
"I... noticed what appeared to be slightly smoother gradations on the ST60 [than on the ST50]. At the 22:09 mark during 'Tree of Life,' the fading light from a white galaxy appeared smoother on the ST60 (and the Sony LCD) than on any of the other plasmas (including the S60), which showed visible gradation steps of minor 'false contouring' or solarization. Many other similar images in this sequence of 'ToL' did show visible gradations on the ST60 as well; however, they're rare in other program material on any display."

HDJ Chad B TC-P50ST60 Review
"Skin tones had excellent color, though the ST60's handling of brightly lit faces reminded me of the GT50's rendition in THX Cinema mode: some shadings were not quite natural. This, I suspect, is a byproduct of the slightly fussy calibration behavior, which I am hoping was due to insufficient break in time. Regardless, it was minor and the overall presentation was extremely good."

HDTVtest TX-P42ST60 (UK Model) Review
"The only downside related to Panasonic’s sub-field drive method is that certain combinations of colour and tone, if moved fast enough, can result in some false contouring... but it’s rare, and we still prefer it overall to the noisier but more temporally consistent panel drive mode used by Pioneer’s Kuro plasma TVs... Incidentally, line bleed seems to be reduced compared to last year’s ST50... We say 'seems to be' because our comparison here is our resident TX-P50ST50, and the larger size, and indeed individual panel, could account for the difference. Nevertheless, we fed both screens simultaneously with our custom line bleed detection pattern, and the effect was considerably lessened on the ST60."

FlatpanelsHD TX-P50ST50B (UK Model) Review
"False contouring is still an issue... No improvements were found in this area compared to last year’s models (VT60 might change that, but ST60 does not).

AVForums TX-P50GT60B (UK Model) Review
"As for all the issues that have been reported about Panasonic plasmas in previous years, almost none were in evidence. Problems like floating blacks, brightness pops and green blobs can all be consigned to history, as can the 50Hz bug of which we saw no evidence. Screen uniformity was also excellent, as evidenced by the ANSI measurements and confirmed using full screen rasters. There were also no problems with image retention, line bleed or dirty screen effect. There was some very minor noise in parts of the picture just above black but these were impossible to see from any sensible viewing distance. In fact the only issue that we had the P50GT60's image was that very occasionally we saw some dynamic false contouring. This tended to be on handheld footage where peoples' faces were filling the screen and you would see some contouring on their cheeks or foreheads."
post #2710 of 12940 Old 04-25-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

If you do not have the Disney Wow disc already I recommend purchasing it. It is like $20 from Amazon. It has a pixel flipper that is known to do well with IR. I ran it and upped the contrast and it got rid of some IR after a little bit that the slides did not remove after a few hours.

Eventually it would go away from just watching content though but having it leave sooner then later is always better.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll try that...!
post #2711 of 12940 Old 04-25-2013, 04:30 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by crn3371 View Post

Can someone tell me how to turn off the internal speakers? I've tried ARC, I've tried using toslink, no matter what I do, sound from the apps come through the internal speakers, not my avr (Yamaha a720).

Lower volume to 0.

if ARC doesn't work, try Hdmi 2 with toslink, and enable Viera Link (hdmi cec)
post #2712 of 12940 Old 04-25-2013, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanbanlo View Post

Lower volume to 0.

if ARC doesn't work, try Hdmi 2 with toslink, and enable Viera Link (hdmi cec)

Got it to work by turning down volume on set. Funny, you'd think there would have been a menu option to disable the internal speakers.
post #2713 of 12940 Old 04-25-2013, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirelessroute View Post

Well guys pulled the trigger on 65ST60. Debated way to long on 60 to 65 and since I used my Southwest Visa Signature got over 2000 points which will equate to atleast 3 free one way flights to Florida
Also Visa Signature extends warranty for 1 year as part of Warranty Manager Service. May also spring for the 3 Years from Costco for $99

that's a good price. I am assuming you need a Costco membership to get a warranty from them...???
post #2714 of 12940 Old 04-25-2013, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by crn3371 View Post

Got it to work by turning down volume on set. Funny, you'd think there would have been a menu option to disable the internal speakers.

I thought so too, but with the fixed volume optical out, it works fine and is easier than having a menu option.
post #2715 of 12940 Old 04-25-2013, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Watching 4:3 content or movies with black bars doesn't really cause IR, it can cause uneven wearing of the pixels if it is excessive but it is not an issue I have ever encountered.

Most any plasma TV ive seen my own and friends all have lines after watching 4:3 or Black bar movie content for an extended period of time. my samsung 550, my panasonic G25, my PN50C8000, as well as my friends LG, and Panasonics (not sure of their particular models) all exhibted some sort of IR from watching black boxed content. Generally the area of the screen in which content was displayed, if looking on black screen appeared somewhat lighter than the area of the screen where no content was displayed. If normal content was thrown on, faint lines could be seen from where the boxes ended..

Maybe I wouldent call it "image" retention, but it was a result of phosphurs in the content area being charged where others were not.. and it would take a bit to go away.

Normally when watching CNN for more than 10 minutes there would be faint logos showing up on my other TV's. Have not seen a single bit of IR after watching something like CNN for an extended period of time.

While im not saying IR or burn is is eliminated these days, after 3 days already I feel pretty confident that I could leave some harsh stuff on my screen, and even if it did get some IR it would wash away quite easily compared to any other set ive dealt with.

I had XBMC up on my screen for about 30 mins as I had to wlak away, came back.. again no image retension.. Just sharing my experiance.. and how happy I am.. as I learned to live with IR in the past with my old samsung.. its nice to not have to worry about it as much with this set

EMP E55ti | EMP E56ci | Polk T15's for surround duty | Ultimax 15" Sub | Integra 40.2 | Rotel 976 | Panasonic 60ST60
post #2716 of 12940 Old 04-25-2013, 05:44 PM

Can anyone detail how to setup hdmi arc on this tv?

Step by step pls
post #2717 of 12940 Old 04-25-2013, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by astateofmind View Post

Can anyone detail how to setup hdmi arc on this tv?

Step by step pls

Plug HDMI cable in using HDMI 2. There is no "ARC" option, I belive the return channel should output audio back to the reciever without any further settings..

As far as the other features go, in the main system settings menu theres a Viera Link option, turn that on.

EMP E55ti | EMP E56ci | Polk T15's for surround duty | Ultimax 15" Sub | Integra 40.2 | Rotel 976 | Panasonic 60ST60
post #2718 of 12940 Old 04-25-2013, 06:05 PM

I'll be setting up my upcoming 65" in a fairly small room and want to attempt two rows of seating if possible.. What's the closest sane distance from tv to eyeball I could go? I was thinking around 6.5'-7' would be an alright distance?
"THX recommends that the “best seat-to-screen distance” is one where the view angle approximates 40 degrees" according to wikipedia.
post #2719 of 12940 Old 04-25-2013, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I was in BB today and saw the 60" on display. Was already to try and sell the wife on switching from LCD to Plasma when I looked at the tv more closely. For some insane reason Panasonic put a silver strip around the entire front of the tv...distracting imho. To bad. The picture looked fantastic!

Jeff
post #2720 of 12940 Old 04-25-2013, 06:24 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirelessroute View Post

Well guys pulled the trigger on 65ST60. Debated way to long on 60 to 65 and since I used my Southwest Visa Signature got over 2000 points which will equate to atleast 3 free one way flights to Florida
Also Visa Signature extends warranty for 1 year as part of Warranty Manager Service. May also spring for the 3 Years from Costco for $99
Oh wow, that was quick, considering the fact that you were talking about getting choked a few hours back! smile.gif you just undermined my attempt to convince myself that 60" is good enough wink.gif
I saw the step up 65 VT in BB and it was just mesmerizing. I haven't yet seen the 65 ST but I'm sure it will be terrific. Have pure watching fun.
post #2721 of 12940 Old 04-25-2013, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by systemlayers View Post

I'll be setting up my upcoming 65" in a fairly small room and want to attempt two rows of seating if possible.. What's the closest sane distance from tv to eyeball I could go? I was thinking around 6.5'-7' would be an alright distance?
"THX recommends that the “best seat-to-screen distance” is one where the view angle approximates 40 degrees" according to wikipedia.

THX recommends a relatively close, immersive viewing distance, which I also prefer. For a 65" TV, THX recommends a viewing distance between 6.5' and 9.75', with 6.5' being most ideal. IMO, anything over 8.5' would be less than optimal, and the "closest sane distance" would be ~6.5'. So you have the right idea.
post #2722 of 12940 Old 04-25-2013, 06:48 PM

A few questions:

Is it 'sacrilege to break in the tv using SD OTA cable (Understand the absence of HD does the set no justice, but it will have to be operated in this manner for some duration)

Is it possible to check how many hours the TV has?

I should say all the precautions laid out here concerning IR and Burn In (for a virgin plasma viewer) are awfully disheartening. Pardon my ignorance but "abusing" the television as I have grown accustomed to (leaving my previous lcd, dlp on continuously on overnight) seems like a one way ticket to sorryville. lol can somebody reassure me it won't need babysitting.
post #2723 of 12940 Old 04-25-2013, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewatcher2 View Post

I should say all the precautions laid out here concerning IR and Burn In (for a virgin plasma viewer) are awfully disheartening. Pardon my ignorance but "abusing" the television as I have grown accustomed to (leaving my previous lcd, dlp on continuously on overnight) seems like a one way ticket to sorryville. lol can somebody reassure me it won't need babysitting.

I have an LG plasma with horrible image retention, and I have left high contrast (white/black) images on the screen overnight. Nothing that I've done has ever caused permanent damage. I don't think permanent burn-in is a realistic concern on today's plasmas. And if I'm not mistaken, people are reporting less IR with the 2013 Panasonics than with the 2012 models. It's not something that I would be concerned about.
post #2724 of 12940 Old 04-25-2013, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronghorn/az View Post

I was in BB today and saw the 60" on display. Was already to try and sell the wife on switching from LCD to Plasma when I looked at the tv more closely. For some insane reason Panasonic put a silver strip around the entire front of the tv...distracting imho. To bad. The picture looked fantastic!

Jeff
TV is definitely not the most attractive but that should not stop one from purchasing it.
post #2725 of 12940 Old 04-25-2013, 07:28 PM

Liked: 12
I just bought a 50st60 and no matter what I try, it seems as if there is a light motion smoothing going on even with it turned off. Does it on cable and multiple blurays I tried. Everything has a slight bit of soap opera effect. I have a Samsung d550 and e450, and everything seems normal on them.

TV is set to 60hz, not 48 or 96, motion smooth off, screen settings are full with no over/under scan. Its driving me crazy.

And 3d has so much crosstalk its not watchable unless motion smooth is set to at least medium, but then I can't stand the soap opera effect of it.
post #2726 of 12940 Old 04-25-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTM Audi View Post

I just bought a 50st60 and no matter what I try, it seems as if there is a light motion smoothing going on even with it turned off. Does it on cable and multiple blurays I tried. Everything has a slight bit of soap opera effect. I have a Samsung d550 and e450, and everything seems normal on them.

TV is set to 60hz, not 48 or 96, motion smooth off, screen settings are full with no over/under scan. Its driving me crazy.

And 3d has so much crosstalk its not watchable unless motion smooth is set to at least medium, but then I can't stand the soap opera effect of it.
I noticed the same thing. Could be the cause of the input lag but I haven't heard from S60 owners if they have it too. Or it might be the "2500 FFD" feature but that's just a guess.
post #2727 of 12940 Old 04-25-2013, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 104
If Motion Smoothing was perpetually on then there wouldn't be a lag difference with it enabled. When enabled, any level of Motion Smoothing adds 1 frame of lag. If it was always mildly on, there wouldn't be a difference in lag.

I think it speaks for itself that when enabled it adds 1 frame of lag, that should be enough to quell any fears that MS is always on.

Edit: Also noticed you have your TV set to 60 Hz. That's going to change the frame rate of film content simply because you can't evenly divide 60 by 24, so you HAVE to enable 24p content which requires Game Mode to be toggled OFF.
post #2728 of 12940 Old 04-25-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogmusicman View Post

Does anybody use or have used this as computer screen?

Reason I ask is because the tv i have now I use (10%) as a monitor for my PC. Im in the process of getting a new tv and want a ST60. Obviously i wouldn't use the until the tv has had plenty of time to break in.

Is there a reason to be concerned with IR/burn in after several 100 hrs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

That depends on how you use it. Having a tool bar in the same location for months on end might not be a good idea. Short use as a computer monitor mixed with a big majority of other sources should be OK.

When i use the PC i have it on full screen as to where the tool bar is not at top of screen and also the one on the bottom goes away after the mouse is moved from it. I will have a video card with a HDMI out and use it to watch downloaded movies n such. Not going to be used for hours n hours on end. I have laptops for that and I dont think the ol lady would like it very much.
post #2729 of 12940 Old 04-25-2013, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post

that's a good price. I am assuming you need a Costco membership to get a warranty from them...???

I think so but that's not a problem for me, I could've swore I read somewhere that you still buy it but Costco charges you more like $5
or if someone that has a membership gets you a gift card you can buy it YMMV not sure about that
post #2730 of 12940 Old 04-25-2013, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post

5$ surcharge if you are not a member so even at ~105 its a great deal smile.gif
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led
Gear in this thread - P55st60 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page