AVS Forum banner
1M views 15K replies 1K participants last post by  John Hooper 
#1 ·
With the 2013 CES announcement of the new plasmas, i would start a thread to address questions regarding the likely popular st60 series plasma sets available in 50, 55, 60, and 65 inch sizes.

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-P50st60

#8,777 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by slack2116  /t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread/8760#post_23881821

i am trying to search for the post again but i just can't find it. anyone know how to set up the TV so the sound goes directly through the receiver instead of the TV?
Cant remember exactly. You go into the Viera apps menu and change the audio output to Home Theater or something like that.

#8,780 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitterpat  /t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread/8760#post_23881892

You go into the menu and go to Hotel mode.

It wasn't in the Hotel mode, it was done using the regular settings menu (but i don't recall what or how).

I don't think there was such a setting in Hotel mode on my GT50 or my G10, so i doubt there's anything there on the ST60.

#8,781 ·
to answer my own question:

Apps > Viera Link > Speaker Output

thank you Bond 007 for the help.

edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U  /t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread/8760#post_23881079

does doing that harm the TV? I set my S60 up that way too and later looked at the top of the box where it was clear about keeping the TV upright the whole time from the moment you get it to the moment you place it on a TV stand or wall mount
you are definitely not supposed to do that. first time i got this TV he had his helper stand there and hold it up while he got the stand set up. then he tilted it just enough to connect it.

#8,783 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters  /t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread/8760#post_23881941

It wasn't in the Hotel mode, it was done using the regular settings menu (but i don't recall what or how).

I don't think there was such a setting in Hotel mode on my GT50 or my G10, so i doubt there's anything there on the ST60.
Someone did find a way to turn off the speakers or something using the tv controls on the side of the tv and the remote. There was some sort of "Hotel Mode" that he discovered. I dont remember all the details though.

#8,786 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezar  /t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread/8610#post_23855964

Thought I'd post this info on how to "turn off" the ST60's internal speakers, as this took me a long time to figure out. You'd want to turn off your internal speakers if you have external speakers/sound bar that you'd rather use instead.

What you do depends upon your situation:

1) You have a universal remote: easiest solution is to turn down the speaker volume to zero using the TV's native remote and program your universal remote's volume controls to control your receiver's volume

2) You have a receiver with HDMI-CEC or compatible (ie: commands can be sent through the HDMI cable to your receiver):

Go to the "Apps" on your ST60, select the Viera Link app, then change the sound selection to Home Cinema which should turn off your TV's speakers when your external speakers are on. I've never tried this because you can't select Home Cinema if you don't have an HDMI-CEC connected receiver, so I'm not sure if this works...

3) You do not have a HDMI-CEC connected receiver or you have a soundbar connected directly to your TV via a toslink or digital coaxial cable, but you still want to use the remote control that comes with the TV (many soundbars can be programmed to accept controls by the original TV remote). This solution took me forever to find:

There is a hidden "Hotel Mode" that you need to go into:

a) On the TV itself (not the remote), hold the volume down button

b) With the volume down button held down, press "Input" on the remote control 3 times, and the hotel menu should pop up

c) Turn the Mode On

d) Set the max volume to zero

e) quit the menu

f) turn off your TV, wait a few seconds, then turn it back on

Now, you can press volume up and down on your original TV remote control to control your soundbar or whatever, and the TV volume will stay at zero.

I'm not too sure what the other items on the Hotel Menu do--they presumably limit the function of the TV for hotel use.

#8,787 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007  /t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread/8760#post_23882009

Thanks. If you include the page it would be very helpful since you can only search by page and not by post.

If you click the current page URL and append with the desired post #, after the forward slash, it will take you to the top post of the page on which the desired post is present.

#8,788 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenbear94  /t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread/8790#post_23882170

If you click the current page URL and append with the desired post #, after the forward slash, it will take you to the top post of the page on which the desired post is present.
Makes sense.I never thought to do that. Thanks.

#8,790 ·
Hey everyone, I'm looking at the 60" version of this TV. I want to use the stand, but I have a center channel speaker that sits almost 4.5" high. Can someone please measure the height from the table you have the TV set on to the bottom of the actual display screen. I want to set the center speaker directly in front of the middle of the TV, but I'm worried that the speaker is too tall and will obstruct my view of the screen. Thanks.

#8,791 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007  /t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread/8760#post_23881966

Someone did find a way to turn off the speakers or something using the tv controls on the side of the tv and the remote. There was some sort of "Hotel Mode" that he discovered. I dont remember all the details though.

Yeah you can lock the volume to zero in the Hotel mode menu, but i thought slack2116 was talking about a setting that routes audio to the receiver.

#8,792 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepNutz  /t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread/8790#post_23882210

Hey everyone, I'm looking at the 60" version of this TV. I want to use the stand, but I have a center channel speaker that sits almost 4.5" high. Can someone please measure the height from the table you have the TV set on to the bottom of the actual display screen. I want to set the center speaker directly in front of the middle of the TV, but I'm worried that the speaker is too tall and will obstruct my view of the screen. Thanks.

3 3/4" for 65", sorry.

#8,794 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepNutz  /t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread/8790#post_23882210

You know I ran into this same issue with my 50ST60 sitting on my TV stand. My center channel speaker was blocking the picture so I picked up a cheap 3" high butcher block from Ebay store, Dawn's Depot, username dawn5879. The 12" x 18" x 3" nearly fit the base dimensions perfectly and it looks mighty nice for only $51.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MICHIGAN-MAPLE-BLOCK-CUTTING-BOARD-BUTCHER-BLOCK-AJA01812-/111194592942?pt=Kitchen_Tools_Gadgets&hash=item19e3b6d6ae#ht_3823wt_933

Just thought I'd throw out this option for anyone who's looking for a classy looking base to raise the height of their tabletop mounted Panasonic.

Cheers,

Robin

#8,796 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Bombard  /t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread/8790#post_23882322

You know I ran into this same issue with my 50ST60 sitting on my TV stand. My center channel speaker was blocking the picture so I picked up a cheap 3" high butcher block from Ebay store, Dawn's Depot, username dawn5879. The 12" x 18" x 3" nearly fit the base dimensions perfectly and it looks mighty nice for only $51.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MICHIGAN-MAPLE-BLOCK-CUTTING-BOARD-BUTCHER-BLOCK-AJA01812-/111194592942?pt=Kitchen_Tools_Gadgets&hash=item19e3b6d6ae#ht_3823wt_933

Just thought I'd throw out this option for anyone who's looking for a classy looking base to raise the height of their tabletop mounted Panasonic.

Cheers,

Robin
LOL That is classy.

You could also have gotten something like this for about the same price.
http://www.amazon.com/5-25-High-Stand-Wide-BLACK/dp/B002WOUPHK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382936147&sr=8-1&keywords=tv+riser

#8,797 ·
#8,798 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits  /t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread/8640#post_23866461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy60  /t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread/8650_50#post_23866400

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri  /t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread/8610#post_23856523

Mario,

To avoid causing another stir, I will only point to the links in my signature.

I have to agree. Plugging in settings will get you in the ballpark at best, nothing more.
Isn't it amazing that I've always understood D-Nice to have written the same thing. He calls his settings a good starting point.

He calls them "North American TC-PxxST60 Reference Settings" in the post with the settings. Pretty easy to get confused by that, I'd say.

#8,799 ·
Just over 3½" for the 60". 90mm
Quote:

#8,801 ·
Hi folks,

Loving my new 60ST60. Man, what a picture!

I've noticed an annoyance with the built-in Netflix streaming app, and I'm wondering if anyone else has a solution for me. It's probably something simple.

I'll describe as "occasionally subtitles come one when they aren't supposed to." Specifically, we were watching some Breaking Bad episodes last night. BB has burned-in white subtitles when folks speak Spanish, that are part of the video stream and I'm used to seeing those no matter what device we watch the show on. But, sometimes we get yellow subtitles on top of those, which the Panasonic is putting on. However, in the Netflix App, subtitles are not turned on... I checked. And, sometimes it happens, and sometimes it doesn't. We watched two episodes in a row last night. The first, no extra subtitles. The second, they were there.

As I mentioned, I navigated in the Netflix app to the subtitle controls and made sure they were off.

Any ideas on what's causing this and how to correct? I've only ever seen this on the Panny NF app... never anywhere else I've streamed.

Marc