Did you do anything to "Break-In" your new Plasma? - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: What did you do to "Break-In" your new Plasma TV?
Nothing, watched TV as normal 29 30.53%
Watched a variety of programming, avoid static logos/images 20 21.05%
Ran Slides for a long time (100+ hours) 22 23.16%
Ran Slides for a while <100 hours with programming mixed 17 17.89%
Ran a moving program (like Pixel Flipper or Pixel Jogger) 3 3.16%
Something else (please comment on what you did) 4 4.21%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 01-10-2013, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm just about to hang my Panasonic 65VT50 on the wall.

I've read a bunch of information on Break-In and IR. My initial plan was to run the Panel Prep Slides for a couple days (probably not a full 100 hrs).

What, if anything, did you do? Do you think it did anything?

-Some people play hard to get, I play hard to want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 01-10-2013, 10:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I've been running slides here and there but also watching my shows, blurays etc.

post #3 of 29 Old 01-10-2013, 10:33 PM

Liked: 10
Where are these Panel prep slides you guys are talking about ?

Just picked up a 65VT50 today myself and will set it up over the weekend.

Anything else to break it in ? Saw something mentioned about turning the Brightness down to 50 or 60

SBB

post #4 of 29 Old 01-10-2013, 11:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnottyBoomBody View Post

Where are these Panel prep slides you guys are talking about ?

Just picked up a 65VT50 today myself and will set it up over the weekend.

Anything else to break it in ? Saw something mentioned about turning the Brightness down to 50 or 60

SBB

http://www.eaprogramming.com/

post #5 of 29 Old 01-11-2013, 05:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
I'm running the slides (around the 70 hour mark) when not in use, but pretty much using the TV normally when home. Have watched some games on ESPN, 1:85:1 movies, played a game last night etc.

The slides don't help prevent IR other than helping get past the first 100 hours (when the sets tend to be more prone to temporary IR) faster than turning them off when not in use. It's too age the panel evenly and get it settled down so it can be calibrated.

I won't get a professional calibration done, so I'm more doing it just to get it settled down, and to blow through the 100 hours quick since Amazon only has a 14 day return window. This way I'll have a solid week where the set should be settled down to make sure I like the picture, aren't having IR issues etc. before making sure I want to keep it.
post #6 of 29 Old 01-11-2013, 07:35 PM

Liked: 11
60" GT50. Changed the channel a lot. Watched Avatar and a bunch of full screen movies for around the first 100 hours. Had the t.v since August and have had no problems with anything.
post #7 of 29 Old 01-11-2013, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I don't have my VT50 yet, but here's my 'plasma' story for my 50" Samsung. It was my first plasma, bought oh, three, maybe four years ago now. If i bought today, it would cost about 1/5th of what I paid for it, and it weighs as much as my new 65" VT50 I'm getting (go figure). So anyway OLD technology

I ran the screen color thing - for a week. It still had IR on it (temporary of course) but the panel was no good. It was the Samsung that stutt stutt stutt stuttured on fast moving scenes. Perfect example is my fav sport, which is back finally - HOCKEY. I guess because the ice is light colored, with when the camera would span left/right the display seemed like it couldn't keep up and it would freeze for about 1/10th of a second then resume, causing a stutter. No offense my US friends but by far Hockey is the fasted team sport you're going to see and my TV proved it.. Well, thankfully I got a line in there, so they replaced the whole TV and I got a new on after about 4 months. No more stutter. However , I ran the screen panel break in signs. Still had IR, great picture though (oh again temporary). Well low and behold this one got a line on her too - but this time they just replaced the panel, not the entire set. So far so good after about two years now - no issues. And this time - NO - I did not run the slides. This TV, without running the slides, looks exactly the same as the old one, minus that vertical line a third in to the screen with the same amount of (temporary) IR

So IMO - it's hogwash. I'm not saying it's going to hurt the TV - I doubt that caused the first two panels I had to fail, but it sure as heck didn't make a difference. And as I understand it, I'll get about 60,000 hours of life on this set - think I want to waste a 100 hours of it on a panel break in ? Not a chance LOL - and since I got a 7 year warranty on it I'm not worried at all about it. I will take care to run full screen shows and stuff, but hockey starts next Saturday, with a triple bill "Hockey Day in Canada' and you bet your you know what I'll be watching all 9 glorious hours of it on my new Plasma smile.gif

"it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it"
post #8 of 29 Old 01-11-2013, 10:19 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpt_Krunch View Post

Well, I don't have my VT50 yet, but here's my 'plasma' story for my 50" Samsung. It was my first plasma, bought oh, three, maybe four years ago now. If i bought today, it would cost about 1/5th of what I paid for it, and it weighs as much as my new 65" VT50 I'm getting (go figure). So anyway OLD technology

I ran the screen color thing - for a week. It still had IR on it (temporary of course) but the panel was no good. It was the Samsung that stutt stutt stutt stuttured on fast moving scenes. Perfect example is my fav sport, which is back finally - HOCKEY. I guess because the ice is light colored, with when the camera would span left/right the display seemed like it couldn't keep up and it would freeze for about 1/10th of a second then resume, causing a stutter. No offense my US friends but by far Hockey is the fasted team sport you're going to see and my TV proved it.. Well, thankfully I got a line in there, so they replaced the whole TV and I got a new on after about 4 months. No more stutter. However , I ran the screen panel break in signs. Still had IR, great picture though (oh again temporary). Well low and behold this one got a line on her too - but this time they just replaced the panel, not the entire set. So far so good after about two years now - no issues. And this time - NO - I did not run the slides. This TV, without running the slides, looks exactly the same as the old one, minus that vertical line a third in to the screen with the same amount of (temporary) IR

So IMO - it's hogwash. I'm not saying it's going to hurt the TV - I doubt that caused the first two panels I had to fail, but it sure as heck didn't make a difference. And as I understand it, I'll get about 60,000 hours of life on this set - think I want to waste a 100 hours of it on a panel break in ? Not a chance LOL - and since I got a 7 year warranty on it I'm not worried at all about it. I will take care to run full screen shows and stuff, but hockey starts next Saturday, with a triple bill "Hockey Day in Canada' and you bet your you know what I'll be watching all 9 glorious hours of it on my new Plasma smile.gif

I saw this on my GT50 today watching the sweden vs US game. when every the camera panned fast, which is a lot, I would see a stuttering of the players on the ice, it was pretty annoyihng, the weird thing is, it never did this on my old plasma which is 6 years old and is just 720p.

I am going to see how my panny handles football this weekend and hockey once the bruins start, if there is too much annoyign stuttering or motion blur, i am going to have to take it back sadly.

I am really hoping it was just the broadcast and not how its always going to be
post #9 of 29 Old 01-11-2013, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My new UT50 has about 46 hours of full screen content on it, all movies. Might as well enjoy it!

I'm going to wait until the 200 hour mark before watching anything with a channel bug or ticker.

Cisco 8742HDC - 7.2.0_5 ODN | Panasonic UT50 | Panasonic P46U1
post #10 of 29 Old 01-11-2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelanger View Post

I saw this on my GT50 today watching the sweden vs US game. when every the camera panned fast, which is a lot, I would see a stuttering of the players on the ice, it was pretty annoyihng, the weird thing is, it never did this on my old plasma which is 6 years old and is just 720p.

I am going to see how my panny handles football this weekend and hockey once the bruins start, if there is too much annoyign stuttering or motion blur, i am going to have to take it back sadly.

I am really hoping it was just the broadcast and not how its always going to be

If you are talking about the WJC Under 20 final, then you should know that yes, it was the broadcast. For whatever reason, the NHL Network feed of the USA games had some funky things going. I just got my GT50 as a replacement set for a Sammy and I was really concerned, but after watching the other games (aka the TSN feeds) I didn't notice any of the same issues that I saw during the USA games. The same goes for football games. I watched the BCS championship game and some of the NFL playoffs so far and they look AMAZING. So no worries.
post #11 of 29 Old 01-11-2013, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsnake21 View Post

If you are talking about the WJC Under 20 final, then you should know that yes, it was the broadcast. For whatever reason, the NHL Network feed of the USA games had some funky things going. I just got my GT50 as a replacement set for a Sammy and I was really concerned, but after watching the other games (aka the TSN feeds) I didn't notice any of the same issues that I saw during the USA games. The same goes for football games. I watched the BCS championship game and some of the NFL playoffs so far and they look AMAZING. So no worries.

Oh ok thanks, that makes me feel much better. i did watch a little basketball and it looked good. The football games this weekend and the bruins games next week, will be the real test.

Thanks again.
post #12 of 29 Old 01-12-2013, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Nothing, was playing Xbox 360 on Day 1, The TV still looks great (5 years old) has over 23k hours of use and is IR / Burn free (Pioneer 5080HD) .
post #13 of 29 Old 01-13-2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post

I'm running the slides (around the 70 hour mark) when not in use, but pretty much using the TV normally when home. Have watched some games on ESPN, 1:85:1 movies, played a game last night etc.

The slides don't help prevent IR other than helping get past the first 100 hours (when the sets tend to be more prone to temporary IR) faster than turning them off when not in use. It's too age the panel evenly and get it settled down so it can be calibrated.

I won't get a professional calibration done, so I'm more doing it just to get it settled down, and to blow through the 100 hours quick since Amazon only has a 14 day return window. This way I'll have a solid week where the set should be settled down to make sure I like the picture, aren't having IR issues etc. before making sure I want to keep it.

For everyone that's running slides, and then using D-nice's settings, you do realize you're supposed to run the slides for 100 straight hours UNINTERRUPTED, in order to get the best results, or the settings are pretty much useless, right?
post #14 of 29 Old 01-13-2013, 10:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Red Sox View Post

For everyone that's running slides, and then using D-nice's settings, you do realize you're supposed to run the slides for 100 straight hours UNINTERRUPTED, in order to get the best results, or the settings are pretty much useless, right?

I mainly did it to get past the first 100 hours or so when the set is more prone to IR faster than for anything else. I'm not a serious videophile and would never pay for professional calibration etc. DNice didn't do any settings for the UT50 series anyway. I have the Disney WoW disc coming tomorrow and will just use that to calibrate.

I never saw any hints of IR anyway though so I'd probably been just as well off just using the TV and not bothering with the break in slides. Biut it took no effort to run them while at work and asleep so I figured it wouldn't hurt anything and would also be a decent way to make sure the set wasn't a lemon before my 14 day return window was up.
post #15 of 29 Old 01-14-2013, 05:57 AM

I ran the slides for peace of mind 3 days straight.
It may or may not reduce the chance of IR / BI. Better safe than sorry with a 15 year old useing the TV
It would expose any defects or issues before the easy return window closed.
I really think the TV looks beter than it did out of the box after running the slides.
It was just setting in the foyer waiting for the weekend to be installed.

We watch anything and as much as we want and so far no IR/BI, image issues, or toublesome buzz(buzz if you put your ear up to it but at this point it hasnt gotten any worse nor is it distracking)
post #16 of 29 Old 01-14-2013, 10:13 AM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I basically just watched it like normal except:

I used THX Cinema for the first week or so
I kept it on for the first few days straight
After the first week I started using Custom

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, 65VT50
post #17 of 29 Old 01-14-2013, 04:05 PM

I just started the slides after getting my replacement 65GT50, I didn't run them the first time. I really want to see the difference in picture quality using D-Nice's slides and settings. I have another tv that I can watch until Friday night. This is going to be a long week. wink.gif 1/18/13 @ 22:45 can't get her quick enough!!
post #18 of 29 Old 01-17-2013, 01:04 AM

The only thing I did was make a conscious effort to avoid a lot of 4:3 aspect ratio movies for the first 400 hours.
post #19 of 29 Old 01-17-2013, 05:32 AM

I have the used the zoom feature a lot to avoid displaying black bars on the screen. Also avoid any channels with tickers. I am just trying to log a few hundred hours in that manner, then I will use it like a normal TV. I have no plans for pro calibration, but may use a DIY disc myself.
post #20 of 29 Old 02-03-2013, 11:13 AM

I plugged it in and it turned on. Job done!
post #21 of 29 Old 02-04-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Red Sox View Post

Is this accurate? 4 days of the slides before viewing anything on the set? Seriously?
post #22 of 29 Old 02-04-2013, 09:22 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastfwd View Post

Is this accurate? 4 days of the slides before viewing anything on the set? Seriously?

No that's not quite accurate - he doesn't say to run them for 100 hours un-interrupted, but he does basically say not to display anything other than the slides for the first 100 hours. You can break it up into ten 10-hour slideshows or four 25-hour slideshows as long as you compile 100 hours of just slideshows. That means don't watch any TV or DVDs etc for the first 100 hours if you want to get the best results.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #23 of 29 Old 02-04-2013, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Unless you're an uberhardcore a/v guy, you're not going to tell any difference in applying his settings after 100 hours of just the slides or 100 hours of slides with other content mixed in between.

You have to realize that this is a site for huge a/v enthusiasts who are testing their gear with meters etc. There's no need to go to the lengths most do.

If you want to use his settings, I'd just put them in and use the TV normally. Maybe run the slides when not in use to help get through the first 100 hours when it's more prone to IR etc. and do a good stress test on it before the return window is up.

Or better yet, just get a calibration disc like Disney WoW and adjust it and then go back and check it again in a month or two to see if anything needs adjusting after it gets settled down.

I think this site makes too many people neurotic about TVs when they have no reason to be so. 99% of people aren't hardcore videophiles and should just be buying a good TV, getting it adjusted reasonably and sit back and enjoy it. Leave the obsessing over getting as close to reference quality to those who's hobby is more their gear than the content they view and listen to on it.
lukaspriest and kkirsche like this.
post #24 of 29 Old 02-04-2013, 12:39 PM

Ok, yeah, I’ve been put off one way and then the other between plasma and led/lcd in the last week. I’ve considered that there is probably a lot of fretting on here that regular people wouldn’t experience.

I think I’m going to burn the slides and run them, but otherwise run full screen content as I have seen elsewhere was the biggest consideration. No static images, etc.
post #25 of 29 Old 02-04-2013, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Kept all content zoomed to avoid black bars. Otherwise did nothing.
post #26 of 29 Old 05-28-2013, 06:15 PM

I keep seeing advice to avoid 4:3 content, but wouldn't letterboxed content with bars at top and bottom be just as bad?

All the warnings about break-in have me scared to death to watch anything but full-screen content on my new plasma, but I want to watch movies such as LOTR and SW to experience them on my new set. Ugh.
kkirsche likes this.
post #27 of 29 Old 05-28-2013, 10:21 PM

I ran slides (75%) and watched full screen content (25%) for my first 200 hours. The break in felt like eternity, but, finished it in 12 days instead of 2 months. I did give my tv breaks here and there, though, towards the end I really amped my slide sessions up (time wise).

I can say that over the course of the 200 hours spent breaking in my tv, it was very clear that after the first 100 - 110ish hours the IR had noticeably decreased. At first, when I would go through my ps3 menu's it would leave some IR, by 100 hours this was no longer a issue.

I received my WoW disc at 76 hours, and put it in to take a look. I noticed IR after looking at the sharpness tool for 2 min. I removed the disc, and waited until I was right over 100 hours to calibrate. This time, my tv didn't suffer from noticeable IR after looking at the sharpness tool. Still, I decided to play it safe and go for 200 hours instead of the recommended 100.

After all is said and done, I'm happy that I aired on the side of caution and did a 200 hour break in. If anything, the 200 hour break in gives me some peace of mind, and, hitting that mark kind of felt like winning the big game.

I'll do another calibration here soon, to seal the deal.
post #28 of 29 Old 05-29-2013, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 149
Option 2 for me on my latest P50S60. On my other plasma P42S2, I was more gingerly and even ran some slides for a bit to massage the pixels a bit. wink.gif

Sony 32" EX400 calibrated settings
Panasonic 50" S60 calibrated settings
HTPC/Sony S5100 to Sony HT-CT660 to Panasonic 55" VT60, Sony 32" EX400, Panasonic 50" S60
post #29 of 29 Old 05-29-2013, 11:31 AM

Liked: 20
I run all 4:3 content zoomed to avoid black bars on the sides and lower contrast setting to 50 or 60. Keep this going for the first 100 hours.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv , Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd
Gear in this thread - P65vt50 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page