newbie questions, we are worried about what we bought - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-15-2013, 02:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We just bought a TC-P55UT50 today at Costco. Got a great price and we wanted to move on from our projection TV because of having to replace the stupid bulbs...

I asked the salesman about the legendary "Burn-In" and he told us that they had fixed that by now and we "would have to leave the TV on the same channel for 30 days solid before that happened". Now after researching (my fault for not doing it before we bought it), I am seeing all this about breaking it in, not watching channels with the logos, etc...

Except just about ALL channels have that stupid logo in the corner. We wanted to buy a TV that didn't require excessive maintenance like our projection TV, and now we're scared to death that we're going to have this burn in thing and thinking we should take it back, although we really can't afford to buy the more expensive LED TV's.

We absolutely love this TV, great picture and all, but need some advice here... if we bounce around from channel to channel, does that still count as far as the logos? And, after the 100-200 hour breaking in period, do we then not have to ever worry about burn in again? Or is that something you always have to worry about with Plasma's?

It really ticks me off that I didn't do my research and it ticks me off what the salesman said, and it really ticks me off that you don't find out about this stuff until you dig the book out of the box (in that they don't tell you this stuff up front).

We need some advice here,

thanks in advance,

JD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-15-2013, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdy57 View Post

We just bought a TC-P55UT50 today at Costco. Got a great price and we wanted to move on from our projection TV because of having to replace the stupid bulbs...

I asked the salesman about the legendary "Burn-In" and he told us that they had fixed that by now and we "would have to leave the TV on the same channel for 30 days solid before that happened". Now after researching (my fault for not doing it before we bought it), I am seeing all this about breaking it in, not watching channels with the logos, etc...

Except just about ALL channels have that stupid logo in the corner. We wanted to buy a TV that didn't require excessive maintenance like our projection TV, and now we're scared to death that we're going to have this burn in thing and thinking we should take it back, although we really can't afford to buy the more expensive LED TV's.

We absolutely love this TV, great picture and all, but need some advice here... if we bounce around from channel to channel, does that still count as far as the logos? And, after the 100-200 hour breaking in period, do we then not have to ever worry about burn in again? Or is that something you always have to worry about with Plasma's?

It really ticks me off that I didn't do my research and it ticks me off what the salesman said, and it really ticks me off that you don't find out about this stuff until you dig the book out of the box (in that they don't tell you this stuff up front).

We need some advice here,

thanks in advance,

JD
No expert but I wouldn't worry. I've had a 55ST50 (and a 42ST30 for more than a year) since April with zero IR and certainly no burn in. And yea, that salesman didn't really know what he was talking about. Just vary what you watch like you are probably doing and you should be fine. And changing the channels should help since you are moving from one image to another. The small problem is that IR ( burn in shouldn't be a problem unless you do something strange like freeze framing an image on the screen for a very long period of time) seems to be very hit and miss. Some people report getting it but have it go away just by watching normally while others never do, though most here agree the percentage of people reporting it is very small since the vast majority of plasma owners don't experience the problem. Just enjoy your display and keep watching the way you are and it should be fine.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page