AVS Forum banner
3K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  ginovino 
#1 ·
I had Best Buy do an ISF calibration on my Paansonic 65" VT50. They did not have the right equipment and I would like to undo it. Is there anyway to completely undo what they did, including the white balance? Thank you.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakstone  /t/1452486/undo-isf-calibration/0_40#post_22841516

I'm sure in the menu options, there is a way to reset to factory. Otherwise, no.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit  /t/1452486/undo-isf-calibration/0_40#post_22841781

I highly doubt they went into the service menu so the tv should be recovered with a reset.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot  /t/1452486/undo-isf-calibration/0_40#post_22841677

Yeah, just reset it to factory or put the old values back in (you did write them down before the calibration didn't you?).

I believe that docsamg was asking about settings changes to Service Menu (SM). If it was a 'real' calibration, then changes were made to the SM settings. The three (3) quotes show why many SHOULD stay away from making any SM changes! Sorry don't mean to be rude here but these 'suggestions' are incomplete!

1) There is NO way to reset SM settings to "factory" doing by doing a 'factory-reset' (F/R).

2) If you didn't write down (or record) the SM settings BEFORE you made changes, you are SOL!

3) Doing a F/R will revert the user settings back to the as-delivered-fresh-out-of-the-box settings. The key word here is "USER"; not the SM settings.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsamg  /t/1452486/undo-isf-calibration/0_20#post_22841919

they did go into the service menu - actually did an isf calibration, however they used a problematic generator and software

Well then it's unfortunate that you have to use the SM to calibrate. I didn't realize that was the case with your Panasonic. Some tv's don't require one to use the SM for calibration purposes because of the extensive user/calibrator accessible settings.

@JForge - your comments are a bit off-mark. Nobody was suggesting that he go into the SM (something that most of us don't recommend under any circumstances) but without knowing that the Panasonic requires SM access to calibrate (which is surprising), a reset or putting the original settings back in were reasonable suggestions. Looking at your posted calibration settings, it appears that you used a disk, sat, and OTA to "calibrate" your set. I wonder how well those posted settings translate to other GT30s.

And I agree, there should be some sort of warning about BB calibrations so that the consumer can gather more information from other sources before making a decision.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JForge  /t/1452486/undo-isf-calibration#post_22841898

If it was a 'real' calibration, then changes were made to the SM settings.

This is not correct on the North American VT30 (as BillP posted) or VT50. ISFccc and Custom can be properly calibrated on these models and this doesn't require the SM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP  /t/1452486/undo-isf-calibration#post_22843222

I have the VT30, not the VT50, but you do NOT have to go into the SM on the VT30 to calibrate. I assume it's the same for the VT50.

There is also an optional and manual VT30 (and GT30) firmware update for Calibrators as well though I have not heard of BB calibrators even touching the manual update - mute point since the OP has a VT50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JForge  /t/1452486/undo-isf-calibration#post_22841898

1) There is NO way to reset SM settings to "factory" doing by doing a 'factory-reset' (F/R).

2) If you didn't write down (or record) the SM settings BEFORE you made changes, you are SOL!

This is correct (also the Calibrator may have recorded the factory offsets).

Does your Picture Mode menu also have isf Day and/or isf Night in the list? ISFccc memories can be reset.. (the optional VT30 manual firmware for Calibrators cannot be reversed).

I'm really sorry to hear that the calibration was poor.

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot  /t/1452486/undo-isf-calibration/0_40#post_22842847

@JForge - your comments are a bit off-mark. Nobody was suggesting that he go into the SM (something that most of us don't recommend under any circumstances) but without knowing that the Panasonic requires SM access to calibrate (which is surprising), a reset or putting the original settings back in were reasonable suggestions.

Sorry, but reasonable has NOTHING to do with it. The info in the quoted posts is NOT CORRECT!

It's not acceptable to be "reasonable" when you are making changes to the Service Menu settings . . . you have to be CORRECT. That's why I posted . . . to make sure that if SM setting changes are attempted, that you don't end up with a pile of junk! Excuse me for trying to help.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JForge  /t/1452486/undo-isf-calibration/0_20#post_22845072

Sorry, but reasonable has NOTHING to do with it. The info in the quoted posts is NOT CORRECT!

It's not acceptable to be "reasonable" when you are making changes to the Service Menu settings . . . you have to be CORRECT. That's why I posted . . . to make sure that if SM setting changes are attempted, that you don't end up with a pile of junk! Excuse me for trying to help.

I think we are misunderstanding each other. A reset on a tv doesn't necessarily change anything in the SM as far as I know. My LG has a rather extensive set of calibration options that are accessible without having to go into the SM. Resetting my tv just reverts those settings back to factory default and doesn't change anything "under the hood", i.e. the Service Menu. I agree with you 100% that one should never go into the SM unless they know exactly what they are doing. If changes were made to the SM, and a reset is attempted from there, you are correct. No need to apologize for trying to help. That's why you and the rest of us are here, to help.

#14 ·
I wonder if the service mode offsets are the same for SD and HD like the lower panny's seem to be. Some folks have luck transferring those settings from SD to HD. I don't think the OP want's to do this since it's easy to make things worse. I think that BB should hire a traveling calibrator to fix it(if it can be done) or a new tv:eek:

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot  /t/1452486/undo-isf-calibration#post_22848140

does the VT50 require SM access for a calibration?

Absolutely not.

If you want to use THX modes, then you will go in the SM. However, IMO, the ISFccc Interface and Custom are the best and most accurate modes for calibration on the VT50's, all the controls are available and there is no need to go into the SM.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsamg  /t/1452486/undo-isf-calibration/0_50#post_22841495

I had Best Buy do an ISF calibration on my Paansonic 65" VT50. They did not have the right equipment and I would like to undo it. Is there anyway to completely undo what they did, including the white balance? Thank you.
If SM changes have been made that you don't like, then the solution I would look into is getting a well respected professional to recalibrate your display. Check the links at the bottom of turbe's post and mine for more information.

#19 ·
Why don't you call BB and ask for them to get a new generator and come back out to f'in fix it. You paid and they guy had bum gear. So tell them to redo it til your happy.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Spackman  /t/1452486/undo-isf-calibration#post_22849756

Why don't you call BB and ask for them to get a new generator and come back out to f'in fix it. You paid and they guy had bum gear. So tell them to redo it til your happy.
IMO, you're better off asking for your money back from BB due to an incorrectly done calibration, and then paying a real calibrator to do the job correctly. Or just input D-Nice's settings. IMO, BB won't ever do it correctly.

#21 ·
Sounds like he needs to fix the SM issue first before using D-Nice's settings. I don't know about having BB correct their mistake. After that, I wouldn't trust them to touch my set. Get your money back and apply it towards a professional calibrator. If you tell him your story, maybe he'll do a little more to fix your set and make it right for a reasonable price. Professional calibrators are an odd lot, and I mean that with the utmost respect. They take their profession very seriously, want to make the customer happy, and dislike the fact that places like BB give them a bad rep.

#22 ·
This is the third report I've read of a BB tech calibrating in the SM when there was absolutely no need to do so. The others were reported last year on the D7000/D8000 Samsungs, which have every adjustment available in the user menu. Just like with the Panasonics, once the SM gains/offsets have been changed, there is no way to recover them unless they were written down. Just mind blowing that this happens - while I've seen a few perfectly competent BB calibrations reported, the vast majority are either incomplete or just plain damaging (which I suppose is to be expected in a forum like this).

I would complain until red in the face if I were you - you have proof that the calibrator had no idea what he was doing to begin with.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Spackman  /t/1452486/undo-isf-calibration#post_22849756

I bought a Pioneer Elite Kuro a few years back..from BB... What a sack of crap they were..... I contacted the ISF organization and did a thorough inquiry. They told the questions to ask the BB "technician", who couldn't find his ass with flashlight! for $450!!!!!!!

I hired a ISF tech directly from ISF and Paid $375.00. This guy was in my home for over 4hrs!!! my picture 4 years later looks like a 3d snapshot! He provided a computerized analysis of what adjustments were performed and set the TV up for both Daytime AND nightime viewing....

I suggest you G:D:D:Doogle them and find out who's available in your local area...... Its not cheap, but boy is it worth it!!!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.