post #451 of 501 Old 02-23-2013, 12:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

Incidentally, I don't see how the heck the holo deck on star trek works. Seems like the only way to give you that experience is to tap directly into your brain. In which case why are you standing in an empty room?

The Holodeck can't work for a million reasons. But one reason it could work is that it has a 50-foot 3-D, 360-degree (in all axes) screen. The part where you move through a greater space obvious is implausible (you'd need an endless series of treadmills or an endless matter creation/destruction cycle). But the illusion of giant things is best created by gigantic screens. What it isn't created by is tiny screens held close up to you.

I don't have a clue why people think it is. Head-mounted displays with "virtual" giant screens have been out for more than a decade and no one who has ever demoed one within earshot of me has ever remarked "Wow, that feels like watching a 10-foot screen". It simply has not happened.

Unsure how the rest of you without projectors do it, but we spend some mental energy considering which movies are theater worthy and the main question aside from "Do we want to see it while it's current to be part of the conversation?" (e.g. we did that with Argo) is "Do we want the 'big screen experience'?" Anything epic, FX-y or whatnot benefits from that bigness and no amount of moving our couch up close and personal with the TV (which we can actually do quite easily because our couch is on "Magic Sliders" so it moves with a fingertip touch if we want it to) makes our 65" TV into a "big screen",

We don't even sit close at the movies and there is a huge perceptual difference.

This makes me wonder why people are constantly debating nonsense like the perceptual limits of the retina. That's important for one type of visual perception. But it has absolutely nothing to do with how the brain perceives bigness. I can go stand by a giant sequoia north of San Francisco and appreciate its majesty. You can take a really big photo of one and display it on a 70" TV and stand right up next to it and you will have none of that appreciation. Never mind standing at the base of Denali or something even taller. Are these extreme examples? Perhaps but I can't do anything with my retina iPad -- including holding it 2" from my face -- to make the video "appear" as large as my 65" TV, which is routinely 12 feet away.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 501 Old 02-23-2013, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Well not to drag this further off topic, but the holodeck couldnt work NOW, we just dont have the technology to do it. The virtual experience however, can mostly be tricks of the mind with the actual screen moving by tracking the user, providing an "infinite" space....So while it looks like youve walked miles, its only been feet if any where at all..Everything is simulated within the holodek and only percieved to be real, but one can get lost within this perception.....But as rogo pointed out what we are seeing is a virtual world being created with matter being "created" and "destroyed" at will......I am sure in 200+ years there will be technology we cant even imagine being created......Its the wonderful thing about sci-fi, there jsut has to be a possibility of it happening to make it "real" mix in a little fantasy and people start thinking how does that work? Of course the question was worded as if the holodeck was real ;-)

Rogo no projector here, but I do the same thing, if a movie is "epic" I tend to see it in the theaters, dramas and comedys however usually are saved for home viewing as the cinematic experience is not as needed to enjoy the movie as much....Ive cut my movies viewed in the theater down by a large amount because of this....

Ok Ok back to the topic at hand smile.gif.....
rogo likes this.
post #453 of 501 Old 02-24-2013, 03:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

I don't get it........how? In my house i have a 40" samsung LCD, my family has a sony 55" rear projection in the living room, and my 60" kuro is in my media room. Everything looks better and more real on the 60 inch. Forgetting PQ for a second. Just talking size and immersiveness.

Or are you talking about head size relative to the real world?

Yes relative to real world head size combined with usual sitting distance.

But from 5-6ft and sometimes a bit less where i sit in all truth head sizes still look a bit too large even on 50" if talking about real life head size. 42" is very close to 'real' but of course is to small for me overall. But from what I've seen in stores looks the most correct in that aspect
post #454 of 501 Old 02-24-2013, 12:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Well not to drag this further off topic, but the holodeck couldnt work NOW, we just dont have the technology to do it. The virtual experience however, can mostly be tricks of the mind with the actual screen moving by tracking the user, providing an "infinite" space....So while it looks like youve walked miles, its only been feet if any where at all..Everything is simulated within the holodek and only percieved to be real, but one can get lost within this perception.....But as rogo pointed out what we are seeing is a virtual world being created with matter being "created" and "destroyed" at will......I am sure in 200+ years there will be technology we cant even imagine being created......Its the wonderful thing about sci-fi, there jsut has to be a possibility of it happening to make it "real" mix in a little fantasy and people start thinking how does that work? Of course the question was worded as if the holodeck was real ;-)

Rogo no projector here, but I do the same thing, if a movie is "epic" I tend to see it in the theaters, dramas and comedys however usually are saved for home viewing as the cinematic experience is not as needed to enjoy the movie as much....Ive cut my movies viewed in the theater down by a large amount because of this....

Great stuff, all around.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #455 of 501 Old 02-25-2013, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

Great stuff, all around.

So rogo, in your opinion what is the best PDP ever produced to date?
post #456 of 501 Old 02-25-2013, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Ok Ok back to the topic at hand smile.gif.....
Those flying cars (one example) dreamed about 50 years ago didn't quite come to fruition, though. ;(
post #457 of 501 Old 02-25-2013, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Those flying cars (one example) dreamed about 50 years ago didn't quite come to fruition, though. ;(

Cost and making it "viable" for everyday use are the only reason.they didnt. There WERE flying cars made, just never mass produced....

From the looks at the below article it looks like they havent given up dreams yet.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2268402/Flying-car-developer-says-hes-80-million-closer-making-sci-fi-dream-reality.html

dreams do come true eventually ;-)
post #458 of 501 Old 02-25-2013, 02:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9179mhb View Post

So rogo, in your opinion what is the best PDP ever produced to date?

[ redacted]

[ /redacted]

post #459 of 501 Old 02-25-2013, 04:14 PM

^You can smell the hesitation in braving those waters. wink.gif

I am intrigued, Ph8te. Should be an eyebrow-raising price tag...might be a cool (and patriotic) way to go drone chasing/hunting as well. biggrin.gif
post #460 of 501 Old 02-26-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:

[ redacted]

[ /redacted]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

^You can smell the hesitation in braving those waters. wink.gif

Why is rogo "so reluctant" to acknowledge what we already know?
post #461 of 501 Old 02-26-2013, 12:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Why is rogo "so reluctant" to acknowledge what we already know?

You and I don't know the same thing, I suspect.

post #462 of 501 Old 02-26-2013, 02:45 PM

Cryptic minds wink.gif
post #463 of 501 Old 02-26-2013, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Sometimes it isn't doing some things great that makes something the best, its the fact that is does nothing poorly. That's why I think my 151 is still the best tv to date. It has no substantial weaknesses that pertain to sound or video quality.

Mankite
post #464 of 501 Old 02-27-2013, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 210
I found this interesting and basically confirms what i, and others thought about the kuro at the panasonic demo. And the pictures i posted a few pages ago confirmed something was wrong with the kuro even further (which ended that discussion unsurprisingly)
Quote:
That said, we also have to stress that the Pioneer Kuro on display had a bit more faded colors that what we are used to from the Kuro TVs. Panasonic was very open and told us that they had basically looked far and wide. After weeks they found a used Kuro that was owned by an enthusiastic user (so it probably has been used quite extensively). They bought it. Panasonic had not fiddled with the settings, a fact we were able to confirm after seeing the menu.

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1361272859

What i don't get is why didn't they get a brand new kuro from pioneer and calibrate it? They still some have left i'm sure.

home theater addict
post #465 of 501 Old 02-27-2013, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 190
this KURo owner needs a replacement
eek.gif http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqQXLD8sinI
post #466 of 501 Old 02-27-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

What i don't get is why didn't they get a brand new kuro from pioneer and calibrate it? They still some have left i'm sure.

Or calibrate the used Kuro PDP instead.

Its obvious Panasonic was stacking the deck in favor of the ZT60.

If you're in the market for a new PDP @ $3699 the TC-P65ZT60 seems like a good value to me but if you own an 8G/9G Kuro PDP would you replace it at this point or wait for OLED displays to become mainstream?

(I wish Taylor Swift could tell us what to do)
post #467 of 501 Old 02-27-2013, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Thx. saparano.

From article -

We stayed there for some time, just watching. When the others left, we stayed. Here is what we saw in Panasonic’s dark-room comparison:

•Panasonic ZT60 matched the Kuro in black depth reproduction

•Fast motion reproduction was better on Panasonic ZT60 compared to Pioneer’s Kuro. We especially noticed how ZT60 exhibited less phosphor trailing during panoramic motion demos

•Panasonic ZT60 had a bit more details in the dark areas (but the Kuro was not calibrated)

•Colors were a bit more intense on the ZT60 at times but we have no prior experience with the image material used in the demo so we do not know if that is necessarily a good thing

•Both TVs still suffered from too much “pixel noise” when viewed from a short distance

From the article author in comments section -

And just to elaborate on my view on the historical trend for Panasonic:
- Some started chatter about VT20 matching the Kuro back in 2010. I found these claims quite disturbing and wrong (VT20 is one of the TVs I personally own, so I have lots of love for it but it is not in the same league as the Kuro. Full stop).

- A few went on record in 2011 to call VT30 (last year's flagship) the new reference after Kuro. I did not agree. It came much closer than VT20 but to me this was still an irrational conclusion.

- More went on record in 2012 and called VT50 (no VT40 has existed, as Panasonic jumped from 30 to 50 numbers) the new reference. I agree that VT50 surpassed Kuro on some picture parameters but when you evaluate picture quality you have to look at it holistically. These different picture parameters are important; but not as separate issues. Only when all the picture parameters are great, truly great, you can achieve truly great picture quality. Picture quality is not a 1+1=2 equation. If all the separate picture parameters are truly great on a TV, it is more like 1+1=3. From a holistic point of view, VT50 was not the new king. I understand that some might give more weight to certain picture parameters than I do, but I still think it was wrong from an objective perspective.

- 2013: We have VT60 and we have ZT60. From what I saw ZT60 is the first real candidate that I would consider. Let's see what happens when we get a review sample. This is exciting.

My comment - I would guess the Kuro was in Pure and the ZT in THX based on my experience owning Kuros and a VT. Could be wrong though.
post #468 of 501 Old 02-27-2013, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glashub View Post

Thx. saparano.

From article -

We stayed there for some time, just watching. When the others left, we stayed. Here is what we saw in Panasonic’s dark-room comparison:

•Panasonic ZT60 matched the Kuro in black depth reproduction

•Fast motion reproduction was better on Panasonic ZT60 compared to Pioneer’s Kuro. We especially noticed how ZT60 exhibited less phosphor trailing during panoramic motion demos

•Panasonic ZT60 had a bit more details in the dark areas (but the Kuro was not calibrated)

•Colors were a bit more intense on the ZT60 at times but we have no prior experience with the image material used in the demo so we do not know if that is necessarily a good thing

•Both TVs still suffered from too much “pixel noise” when viewed from a short distance

From the article author in comments section -

And just to elaborate on my view on the historical trend for Panasonic:
- Some started chatter about VT20 matching the Kuro back in 2010. I found these claims quite disturbing and wrong (VT20 is one of the TVs I personally own, so I have lots of love for it but it is not in the same league as the Kuro. Full stop).

- A few went on record in 2011 to call VT30 (last year's flagship) the new reference after Kuro. I did not agree. It came much closer than VT20 but to me this was still an irrational conclusion.

- More went on record in 2012 and called VT50 (no VT40 has existed, as Panasonic jumped from 30 to 50 numbers) the new reference. I agree that VT50 surpassed Kuro on some picture parameters but when you evaluate picture quality you have to look at it holistically. These different picture parameters are important; but not as separate issues. Only when all the picture parameters are great, truly great, you can achieve truly great picture quality. Picture quality is not a 1+1=2 equation. If all the separate picture parameters are truly great on a TV, it is more like 1+1=3. From a holistic point of view, VT50 was not the new king. I understand that some might give more weight to certain picture parameters than I do, but I still think it was wrong from an objective perspective.

- 2013: We have VT60 and we have ZT60. From what I saw ZT60 is the first real candidate that I would consider. Let's see what happens when we get a review sample. This is exciting.

My comment - I would guess the Kuro was in Pure and the ZT in THX based on my experience owning Kuros and a VT. Could be wrong though.

I am going to go off of the numbers D-Nice had mentioned . ZT 60 0.0018 ftL . This is just his prediction.. He is saying it will not be beating a 9.5G Kuro.
post #469 of 501 Old 02-27-2013, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
^
I believe the Kuro was in Movie mode which is good but not as accurate as Pure mode.

Display: Pioneer PRO-151 60" Elite
Blu-ray player: OPPO BDP-93, Sony BDP-S1000ES
HD DVD player: Toshiba HD-XA2(2)
Processor: Onkyo PR-SC885
Amplifier: Emotiva IPS-1 150Wx7
Game Console: Xbox 360, PS3
Speakers: Mythos ST(Fronts), Mythos Ten(Center), Mythos One(Rears)

post #470 of 501 Old 02-27-2013, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm not saying anything untoward - but i just can't find any pictures of any Kuro (anywhere) on Movie mode that look as a first gen LCD, looking from off angle with a faulty color decoder. rofl
post #471 of 501 Old 02-27-2013, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glashub 

- More went on record in 2012 and called VT50 (no VT40 has existed, as Panasonic jumped from 30 to 50 numbers) the new reference.

4 is a unlucky number in Japan so that might be the reason why they Jumped from 30 to 50

4 is sometimes pronounced shi, which is also the word for death.The VTdeath eek.gifconfused.gif

Playstation 4
http://kotaku.com/5897372/how-a-japanese-death-superstition-could-impact-the-next-playstation
post #472 of 501 Old 02-27-2013, 12:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glashub View Post

So long as we are making up equations and using opaque terms like "holistic," this is a great example of an area where we'd agree to disagree.

The VT50 surpasses the Kuro importantly in several areas. For someone's math, that might add up to "less than", for another's it might equal "much more than."

post #473 of 501 Old 02-28-2013, 09:57 AM

But, but, but... what would Taylor Swift say?

I'll bet she agrees, Kuro is still the best.
post #474 of 501 Old 02-28-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

But, but, but... what would Taylor Swift say?

I'll bet she agrees, Kuro is still the best.

I bet she is never ever ever getting a Kuro again.
Glashub likes this.

post #475 of 501 Old 02-28-2013, 06:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:

I bet she is never ever ever getting a Kuro again.

The VT can give her five more inches too if she wants it.
Glashub likes this.

post #476 of 501 Old 02-28-2013, 10:21 PM

Kinky.
post #477 of 501 Old 03-01-2013, 02:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Lol smile.gif
post #478 of 501 Old 03-01-2013, 04:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

Wow! That's so naughty!biggrin.gif
post #479 of 501 Old 03-01-2013, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

Yes but it won't have the girth that the Kuro brings into the picture. Girls like girth more than inches.

26 What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?

Matthew 16:26 NIV
post #480 of 501 Old 03-01-2013, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpankey View Post

Yes but it won't have the girth that the Kuro brings into the picture. Girls like girth more than inches.

At least thats what your wife\girlfriend WANT you to think.....(ba dumdum tishhhhhhhhh)
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt30 55 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page