tc-pc55vt50 safe to use as a monitor or stuck with a sub-par LCD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-20-2013, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
So I'm in the market for a display to replace a old 37" 1080p westinghouse lvm-37w1 LCD that I have in the livingroom. It has a pretty bad picture and even somehow gets bad IR even though it is a LCD.

I'd really enjoy the picture quality and motion resolution benefits moving to a plasma would give me but about half the time I have my current screen on (maybe 4 hours a day) I'm using it as a large format computer screen for a person with vision issues that makes it easier to see a big tv sized screen while sitting on the couch than using a desk and a small monitor was.

I planned to replace the livingroom computer with a small tablet but after having a Nexus 7 for a few weeks it looks like too often I have to turn the PC on and use the screen for stuff like email, shopping and banking.

I'm concerned that if I go with a plasma for the better picture for all the sports and Blu-rays I'd use, that I'd damage the screen with IR and/or Burn-in since I'd still have to use it as a monitor and for multiple hours every day.

I really didn't want to compromise on picture quality but I also didn't want to spend good money on a plasma only to ruin it faster versus settling on a cheap LCD.

Am I being overly concerned with IR or burn in issues that lots of static use might cause?

I know the VT50 has very current panel tech and IR and burn in are mainly past concerns and a nice LCD like a direct back-lite Sony XBR would cost me something like $1000 more compared to the 55" VT50 on a good sale so I'd likely just cheap out on a 60hz LED LCD if I couldn't get the VT50 instead of trying to match it in performance because I know the other LCDs don't come close until the costs go up.

Does anyone think I can realistically use a vt50 for multiples hours a day as a monitor without issues or should I give up on the dream of plasma and just find a cheap LCD and save for a zt60 in a year or so in a dedicated home theater setup were it wouldn't have to be used as a monitor ever?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-20-2013, 07:22 PM

Liked: 14
I cant speak for the 2012 models, but my ST30 get's used as a computer screen on a daily basis and I havent had any lasting IR. You can see brief IR from bright windows on a black background, but it's not visible over regular content, and goes away almost immediately. Most stuff on a computer display is small enough that the pixel orbiter prevents any of it from sticking. As long as you throw regular content at it too, I wouldn't think you'd have problems, but this is only based on my own experience. I'm pushing nearly 3k hours on mine and have had 0 IR issues. I've seriously never even seen any that's visible over regular content. I don't know if this had anything to do with it, but I ran color slides for the first 150 hours to break the panel in.

HTPC: I3 2100, Radeon 6950.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-20-2013, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

That sounds good that your st30 gets use in a similar manner and doesn't seem to suffer any lasting IR.

I did intent to run slides and force a zero letterbox / no SD content policy (blu-rays non withstanding) to minimize any possible issues with uneven wear and I can control the light well enough to probably use the THX modes without issues to help make sure I' mnot driving the panel too hard.

Now if I can get a price match at a local store to the paul's tv prices it might further ease my concerns, after having worked alongside shipping/receiving and returns at a Best Buy in years prior, I don't trust delivery if local pick is available and a possible return would be easier.

Maybe if a few more people chime in I'll cement my decision.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-21-2013, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 87
If your primary purpose includes a lot of static views, then avoid plasma. I'm enthusiastic about this panel type--I love movies and I love video--but some people want to pretend that it has no limits. It has limits. *Some* gaming or other static-image content would be fine, but if half or most of its time will be spent displaying a desktop, then you'll be buying yourself a $1500 headache. Buy an LCD.

Once again, I am sorry to take a sledgehammer to so small and fragile a nut. -- Richard Dawkins, The Greatest Show On Earth
post #5 of 7 Old 01-21-2013, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaviorMachine View Post

If your primary purpose includes a lot of static views, then avoid plasma. I'm enthusiastic about this panel type--I love movies and I love video--but some people want to pretend that it has no limits. It has limits. *Some* gaming or other static-image content would be fine, but if half or most of its time will be spent displaying a desktop, then you'll be buying yourself a $1500 headache. Buy an LCD.
+1

I would NEVER use a plasma TV as computer monitor, especially a VT50. It's asking for long-term trouble.

As others have said here, use LCD.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-21-2013, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
DONT use this tv as a monitor

If you REALLY want a gorgeous monitor look into a 27" 2560x1440p IPS monitor from Korea - i believe monoprice started selling them as well. CrossOver, Catleap, Shimian - i own a CrossOver myself. They use the exact same panel as Apple Thunderbolts ($1000) - but are about $350.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-21-2013, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrolds View Post

DONT use this tv as a monitor

If you REALLY want a gorgeous monitor look into a 27" 2560x1440p IPS monitor from Korea - i believe monoprice started selling them as well. CrossOver, Catleap, Shimian - i own a CrossOver myself. They use the exact same panel as Apple Thunderbolts ($1000) - but are about $350.

Thank you the suggestion and I'm sorry if I didn't make it more clear, but this is a situation were I need a large format monitor for a person with vision issues and sitting on a couch versus hunched over a desk.

My personal system already has a Dell 2713HN 2560x1440 monitor which is the same model as the Apple displays ( they use LG IPS panels). I researched just about every 27" model from the cheap TN panels to the samsung and asus PLS screens , and the Dell version was really just a much better setup for me by being a 8-bit screen with proper controls and a factory pre-calibration.

The Korean models all use panel rejects and shipping/returns are normally dependent on ebay transactions versus a real panel warranty and a factory calibration with a dE under 3.0 for sRGB my Dell has.

Too many of the Korean models cannot be calibrated well because they lack proper controls for setting the white point and some of the anti-glare coatings are iffy in terms of how much "shimmer" and glow they cause so I ruled them out.

All that said, I have a feeling I'm going to be stuck with a cheap LCD and just save for a ZT60 next year because I have yet to find a LCD model that can be close to performance of the VT50 and still be in a similar price range.

I really do not like the issues the edge lit LED LCD sets have with uniformity and motion resolution but I cannot see buying a very expensive direct lit, local dimming LCD for what would be a lot more money than a VT50.

Money for the display isn't an issue but I didn't want to spend extra just to try and match the VT50 instead of getting a VT50. I know based on on reviews the Sharp Elite screens and the XBR Sony's can just about match the VT50 but thousands of dollars more would eat into my 4K monitor budget pretty severely smile.gif

Having to force this computer monitor use is really cramping my style. frown.gif
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page