Is a Vt50 overkill? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-23-2013, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I bought a 55" VT50 yesterday for my bedroom which will be delivered Friday. I was sitting around last night wondering if this TV is overkill and I might be better off saving the $700 and getting a St50?

I basically will only use the TV for watching TV. I don't see myself ever watching any movies, and if so rarely. Is it really worth it, in this scenario?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-23-2013, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't think anyone else can answer this question for you. The ST50 is a fine set, the VT50 is better. My preference is to buy the best I can afford. Your priorities may be different.

Steve
post #3 of 8 Old 01-23-2013, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Generally get the best you can afford. But the ST50 is fantastic for the price, and best bang for buck.

Take the VT if youre planning on getting it professionally calibrated since (i believe) it has THX modes with more controls. Plus the blacks are deeper than the ST50 (which already beats out Samsungs).

If i was you - id get the 60ST50, save a bit - get a larger picture, but get 90%+ of the PQ.
post #4 of 8 Old 01-23-2013, 10:00 AM

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrolds View Post

If i was you - id get the 60ST50, save a bit - get a larger picture, but get 90%+ of the PQ.

Agreed. Return it and get a bigger TV if you have the space. Much more impact......
post #5 of 8 Old 01-23-2013, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbleboyjones View Post

Agreed. Return it and get a bigger TV if you have the space. Much more impact......
I think the 55" is already big enough. However I did consider getting a 65Vt50 for the living room and moving my Samsung 58" into the bedroom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrolds View Post

Generally get the best you can afford. But the ST50 is fantastic for the price, and best bang for buck.

Take the VT if youre planning on getting it professionally calibrated since (i believe) it has THX modes with more controls. Plus the blacks are deeper than the ST50 (which already beats out Samsungs).

I don't think I will get it calibrated.

And I really don't need much bigger. My bedroom isn't that big.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post

I don't think anyone else can answer this question for you. The ST50 is a fine set, the VT50 is better. My preference is to buy the best I can afford. Your priorities may be different.
I am the same way which is why I am getting a vt50 for my bedroom to begin with. My wife was about to buy a $400 LCD until I took over and bought the Vt50..lol
post #6 of 8 Old 01-23-2013, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I ended up with a 400 dollar sammy lcd for the exercise room instead of the ut50, consider your case a close call:) I have a 50ST30 in the BR and think it's fine. I almost got a 55VT30 but it was an $800 difference and didn't think it was worth it at the time. After spending time house sitting a 65VT30, well that got me thinking about what I did but it's a done deal and I can live with it. I can make the VT look great and can't get the ST looking nearly that good, sigh. I put it higher up the wall and the mount retracts, so I can pull it away from the wall about 20" and that "makes it bigger". Anyway just thought I'd share my experience.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-23-2013, 06:17 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZtitan123 View Post

So I bought a 55" VT50 yesterday for my bedroom which will be delivered Friday. I was sitting around last night wondering if this TV is overkill and I might be better off saving the $700 and getting a St50?

I basically will only use the TV for watching TV. I don't see myself ever watching any movies, and if so rarely. Is it really worth it, in this scenario?

For watching HD Cable TV, the VT50 is overkill and the ST50 will display cable TV virtually as well as the VT50. Maybe even better since the ST50 is a little brighter. There are only three picture quality features that the VT50 has over the ST50: a slightly darker black filter, 24p Cinematic Playback 96 Hz/48 Hz, and the ISFccc calibration mode - none of which is of any use when watching cable TV. The VT50 is more for the movie buffs who watch Blu-Ray discs.

Notice how some cable channels look much better than other cable channels? And how when you adjust your TV's picture settings so that the colors on some channels look good, some of the other channels now look not so good? Well this effect will be just as present on a VT50 as on an ST50 so why spend so much more for a VT50 when the source is not optimized for it?

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #8 of 8 Old 01-24-2013, 06:44 AM

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZtitan123 View Post

I think the 55" is already big enough. However I did consider getting a 65Vt50 for the living room and moving my Samsung 58" into the bedroom.

Oh I completely missed the bedroom part.

Well in that case I defintely wouldn't have a VT in the bedroom for cable tv watching unless you have a lot of money to burn. Personally I would look into the route(like you said) of moving the Samsung 58" into the bedroom and getting a 65Vt50 for the living room.

On a side note a 55" TV in the bedroom seems like overkill when a 58" is in your living room(unless you have a dedicated HT room or something else).
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page