Turn of ABL by reducing overall Brightness - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-23-2013, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone, new here.

I'm looking into buying a P65VT50 for ColorGrading in a very light-controlled room (13% grey wall, Black Curtains, D65 Light)
And i have looked at this ABL issue that is bothering me very much.
From what i understand, ABL limits the overall brightness, so that it consumes a certain amount of energy at the max (let's say 160W)
And if you would set your brightness to max, the power consumption of the panel at full white would be maybe 200W.
So to get to the maximum of 160W the ABL-circuit alters the overall panel-brightness to 80% to reach the aforementionned 160W.

Has anyone tried to trick the ABL (Automatic Brightness limitation) to not alter the brightness by reducing the user-set brightness to say 80%? or 60%?

I don't need full brightness to properly grade video images in my grading room. but i can't use this panel unless it retains the brightness in any case.

Any info would be very welcome!

Thank you all, this is a great forum!

Daniel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-26-2013, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Bump. Any suggestions?
post #3 of 5 Old 01-26-2013, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchgmbh View Post

Hi everyone, new here.

I'm looking into buying a P65VT50 for ColorGrading in a very light-controlled room (13% grey wall, Black Curtains, D65 Light)
And i have looked at this ABL issue that is bothering me very much.
From what i understand, ABL limits the overall brightness, so that it consumes a certain amount of energy at the max (let's say 160W)
And if you would set your brightness to max, the power consumption of the panel at full white would be maybe 200W.
So to get to the maximum of 160W the ABL-circuit alters the overall panel-brightness to 80% to reach the aforementionned 160W.

Has anyone tried to trick the ABL (Automatic Brightness limitation) to not alter the brightness by reducing the user-set brightness to say 80%? or 60%?

I don't need full brightness to properly grade video images in my grading room. but i can't use this panel unless it retains the brightness in any case.

Any info would be very welcome!

Thank you all, this is a great forum!

Daniel

You might have some luck with "standard" mode but I am not sure what the color and grayscale accuracy is in that mode.

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #4 of 5 Old 01-28-2013, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter

thank you for your suggestion!
post #5 of 5 Old 01-28-2013, 04:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 195
It wouldn't just be the brightness setting as the brightness setting is actually setting black level. I'd think that it would be important to maintain correct black levels if you're color grading.

It would have to involve the contrast setting as it is what manages peak brightness.

I do believe that you're on the right track, though. It would seem that there would be an optimal contrast setting to minimize the amount of ABL that's usable in a light controlled room/dark room. Problem for some of us is that we're in a fairly bright room where we need a brighter screen.

I don't know if you've been keeping up with the discussions regarding window sizes when performing a calibration....but it seems to be a big deal. You may want to look into it.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page