Making a Panasonic Plasma (TC-P55ST50) play nice with GeForce GTX 660 Ti video card hooked up via HDMI at 1080p - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-25-2013, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got a new desktop computer for the living room for playing games and movies. Hooked up to the TV with an HDMI cable and I've just got to say that the picture leaves much to be desired. This is at the default "PC" setting for the TV. The text has a green tinge to it, is a bit fuzzy and just in general the picture doesn't look clean. Are there ways of adjusting either the TV set, the video card settings or both to make the picture look sharper and better? I realize that this isn't a high-quality LCD monitor I'm talking about, but there's got to be a way to make it look at least somewhat better than it is right now...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-25-2013, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Under the NV control panel, what is resolution set to? Have you made all the adjustments there for sizing, etc? A Tv connected to a pc is for surfing the web and watching content, anything beyond that, you'll be disappointed.

Tony
post #3 of 8 Old 01-25-2013, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Just make sure the resolution is set correctly under Windows display properties, and the usual settings (32bit color, 60hz refresh) as if the TV is just another monitor - dig into the NV control panel and make sure theres no overscan happening.

If you use "PC" mode on the TV you may get less picture options due to less processing in order to get lower input lag. You can probably set it to Movie mode to make it look better at the cost of input lag.

If you get a green tint over everything, and some weird snow artifacts - it could be the HDMI cable, make sure its not loose or try a new cable - that happens to me sometiems
post #4 of 8 Old 01-25-2013, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

It's not really the artifacts, it's just that the text seems washed out and not really as sharp as on my laptop, LCD monitor at work, etc.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-25-2013, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Well its 1080p over 50 inches as opposed to 23" or 24" - the pixel density is so large it wont look as good unless your looking at it at around 9ft

Thats why i cant possibly use a 27" monitor with a resolution less than 1440p as 1080p just looks terrible.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-03-2013, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

The main problem I'm having is that text looks way too bright and washed out on it, no matter what setting I use. It wasn't the same with a Radeon card...maybe it's time to give that a shot...
post #7 of 8 Old 02-03-2013, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 61
PC's use a larger color space than video, maybe it's mismatched. PC= 0-255 video= 16-235. If mismatched it washes out the blacks and whites.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-04-2013, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post

PC's use a larger color space than video, maybe it's mismatched. PC= 0-255 video= 16-235. If mismatched it washes out the blacks and whites.
So how (if at all) can I reconcile that? It looked better with the old ATI card, which is what's weird to me...
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P55st50 55 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page