basic break in settings help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-27-2013, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am thinking of picking up a new plasma set (haven't decided on a model yet). To break it in, I will probably just watch blu-ray movies on lower settings for the first 150 hours of use. What settings should I turn low - just brightness? How low should I turn these settings down - to 25%?

If I turn these settings low then I won't notice any possible defects like banding or spotlighting until I can raise the settings, right? I ask because I just returned an LED TV after 3 days when I immediately noticed spotlighting. With break in, I would not have noticed this until outside the return window.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-27-2013, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
No need to turn things down for watching Blu-rays. Just take it out of torch mode--i.e. use a calibration disc or some settings for whatever model you get posted on here.

The only time to think about turning contrast down is when watching something with static images early on.

If you want to do a break in to age the set and get it calibrated, then you'll want to run slides (see the master break in thread) and for those you usually want the contrast up high to age it faster.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-28-2013, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Plasmas don't have same problems of lcd so should be fine out of the box, but, if I'm not mistaken, the picture will improve inthe first 100 hrs so it is recommended to watch full screen content so all pixels 'warm up' evenly. But if you see a problem with tv keep returning it till your satisfied....

Continuum>DX>Inc>D3 sent from tapatalk
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page