Pansonic GT50 and upconversion/upscaling with my Tivo Premier box - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-27-2013, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm trying to make sure everything is setup right. I guess the root of my question is, what does the Panasonic do with 480 and 720 signals. Does it always upconvert to 1080 or keep it "native". What about the "i" and "p"? Does it convert to 1080i or "p"?

Trying to figure out if I should choose the option in my Tivo box to send all video as 1080i, or let it send 480 and 720, content depending of course. I can set these in the Tivo video menu.

With my LG blu-ray player, I don't see an option for settings, so I assume its always sending content as 1080. Does the DVD player dictate "i" or "p"? Or the movie?

Thanks,
Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-27-2013, 02:05 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 448
I have tried all the various combinations on my Tivo S3 and a couple of different cable co DVRs and the best setting for all of my TVs (including my GT50) are to set the box to output everything at 1080i fixed. It gives a crisper more detailed image (to varying extents on my various Plasma and LCD TVs) and also makes channel changing go much quicker.

Try it for yourself and see if you agree smile.gif

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #3 of 5 Old 01-27-2013, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

I have tried all the various combinations on my Tivo S3 and a couple of different cable co DVRs and the best setting for all of my TVs (including my GT50) are to set the box to output everything at 1080i fixed. It gives a crisper more detailed image (to varying extents on my various Plasma and LCD TVs) and also makes channel changing go much quicker.

Try it for yourself and see if you agree smile.gif

Thats surprising it makes the channel changing faster, you think it would be slower due to processing the upconversion.

I was seeing some dithering and artifacts, especially in areas a little darker and with movement. After reading in one of the Panasonic plasma threads (can't recall if it was the VT/GT/or other one) I turned off the 720 video out setting on my Tivo, and sent everything out as 1080 as you suggested. That helped....A LOT. Not saying every scene and every image, but I was able to do a before and after test with the same video clip and the issue goes away when I force 1080 out of my Tivo box.

So, I guess upconverting from 720 on the Panasonic side is....*lacking*.

Thanks!
Kevin
post #4 of 5 Old 01-27-2013, 03:31 PM

Liked: 17
My comcast Motorola dvr has a 1080p option. I use it. I've tried all the others (1080i,720p,480p/i,and native) and channel changing is laboriously slow on native.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-28-2013, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevreh View Post

I'm trying to make sure everything is setup right. I guess the root of my question is, what does the Panasonic do with 480 and 720 signals. Does it always upconvert to 1080 or keep it "native". What about the "i" and "p"? Does it convert to 1080i or "p"?

Trying to figure out if I should choose the option in my Tivo box to send all video as 1080i, or let it send 480 and 720, content depending of course. I can set these in the Tivo video menu.

With my LG blu-ray player, I don't see an option for settings, so I assume its always sending content as 1080. Does the DVD player dictate "i" or "p"? Or the movie?

Thanks,
Kevin

I have a Tivo Premier with a ST30 and use the 1080i setting and have found it to be the best.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page