Plasma Break in Help Please. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-29-2013, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone.
I'm having my new 60 Inch GT50 installed tomorrow, first plasma.
I have a few questions.

I have read plasma break in has nothing to do with the likelyhood or risk of Burn In, is this true?
If so... then why do people even bother using the break in screens or programs wrote for them?

If they just help to age the pixels faster... what good does that do anyway?
Is the ONLY reason to do this, so that you could have the plasma tv calibrated?

Because I don't see what other good breaking in with slides would do.
I mean if the risk for Burn in is the same after break in, then it should not matter at what point you play games on the T.V., the risk
is still the same.

Does using the slides and breaking the T.V. in faster than normal T.V. watching somehow lengthen the live of the T.V.?
If so how?

I am not having my t.v. calibrated.
I will be playing games on it though.

So if breaking in the tv does in fact lessen the risk of burn in.... I might do it.
Considering without the slides it would take a couple of months to break in, and I don't want to wait that long before playing games.
But if all the slides and breaking it in with them fast will do is make it so calibration can be done faster... I see nothing that the slides would
benefit me for.

Thank you for taking the time to help me with these questions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-29-2013, 10:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
The break in slides are primarily for aging the panel evenly and applying D Nice's settings.

The only thing they help with IR is just blowing through the first 100 hours or so faster, as sets are more prone to IR early on. Runnin the slides doesn't make them more resistant to IR after 100 hours than if you just watch full screen content (avoiding static images like logos and letter box bars) foro the first 100 hours. You just hit 100 hours faster if you run the slides 24/7--or over night and while at work etc.--than if you just use the TV normally.

It's also a way to look for stuck pixels, detect buzzing etc. and otherwise make sure your TV is ok by putting it through the paces right away so you can get it adjusted and make sure you like it before the return period is up.

As far as IR--that just seems to vary on whether people get it, and whether it bothers them (as almost all is temporary, and the majority goes away pretty fast when watching other content). For me, I was getting a good bit from ESPN and CNN, and even more from games. It all went away after a few hours of watching other stuff. But still annoying. Mine (a UT50 55") buzzed loudly (to me) as well so I ended up returning it and getting an LED. I loved the picture quality on the plasma, but just couldn't tolerate the buzzing or worrying about IR since I do a ton of gaming and watch ESPN for hours on end.

But mostly, the buzzing just varies by panel and a persons hearing and IR is not a big deal for most people as most people mix up content enough that it will never be more than a temporary annoyance. So I wouldn't worry about the IR unless you're doing marathon gaming sessions or leaving it on channels with tickers like ESPN for hours every day. Just be a bit more careful with static images and black bars the first 100-200 hours to avoid IR and age the panel evenly and then you're probably good to go.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-29-2013, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
What sort of setting should I use when breaking it in? I have the P60GT50 so I do have the THX mode.

I just need to know all the settings I should make sure to put it on during the break in period.
If I do use the slides.... do I use different settings while running them than I would if I did not use the slides?

I guess if someone could please tell me what settings to use to break in the t.v. with the slides AND without the slides.
Also.. what settings would be best for the T.V. while I AM gaming to avoid IR and Burn in?

Thanks!
post #4 of 6 Old 01-29-2013, 10:18 PM
Advanced Member

When running slides just use the default custom settings (100 contrast, 50 brightness etc.) as you want to really break the panel in.

For normal use, just grab some settings off here or adjust with a calibration disk like the Disney WoW disc. For me that came out to Contrast at 78, brightness at 58. Any IR you get should be minor and temporary as long as you aren't gaming for more than 2-3 hours or watching channels like ESPN longer than that etc. The worst I got on my UT50 was CNN logos from the inauguration (as they stayed up during commercials) as I left the TV on CNN for 5 or 6 hours that day. That took 3 or 4 hours of watching other stuff to go away. Everything else faded with in 2-3 hours tops during the time I had the UT50.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-29-2013, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have the VT50 and have been breaking it in for two weeks - ever since I got it. Watching it lol. I'm not saying that a break in program would hurt it, I just doubt very much it will make the picture 'better' by 'burning in' the phosphors. However, this is a scientific forum, so if someone (a pro calibrator for instance) can show measurements from two identical TV's where one was 'broken in' by a special color pattern and one wasn't and show the difference in measured brightness, color grade, etc. then who am I to dispute? I just have never seen that evidence ever.

"it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it"
post #6 of 6 Old 01-29-2013, 10:29 PM
Advanced Member

I don't think it makes the picture better. It's just that the picture changes as the panel ages. So if you want to pay for a professional calibration, running slides is a way to get the picture stable faster so you can get that done sooner.

If you're not getting it calibrated, it's probably mostly a waste. Just adjust with a disc like Disney WoW, enjoy it and got back and tweak again with the disc after 2-3 months to see if anything changed as it aged.

I don't think it matters much for IR and frankly if one is like me and doing a ton of gaming and watching ESPN for hours and hours plasma just isn't the best choice as you really need mixed content (or mostly full screen) to avoid issues with IR and uneven aging. That's probably 95% of people--just not a great fit for hardcore gamers etc.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page