Slides Break In Question. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-30-2013, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If I am going to break the T.V. in with slides, do I have to do it right away?
Or can you watch TV for lets say 5 hrs then do the slides? What if I wanted to watch T.V. for a day before doing the slides?
Would that be ok?
I have just had a hard few days and wanted some rest before doing this... so I was going to enjoy the T.V. for a day as well before I did the slides.
But I can go to another TV if I have to run the slides right away.

If I had to do that I am still probably going to turn the new TV off and wait till tomorrow to download and do the slides.
The TV is installed and its been on for about 30 min. But I'm turning it off now.

So Here basically are my questions.
1. Can I watch a full day of T.V. before doing the slides or do they need to be done before watching the TV for a good amount of time?
2. If I have to do the slides before watching a lot of T.V., am I ok to just power it off and turn it on tomorrow and start the slides?
3. Also can you swap between slides and T.V. watching?

I am literally exhausted so I wanted to wait a day before doing slides if I do them.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-30-2013, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
No problem swapping between slides and tv watching. Just try to limit static logos and black bars for the first 100 hours, and make sure the tvs not on vivid or some other torch mode. Put it on cinema or custom with the contrast properly adjusted (for the 2012 panny's that seems to be in the 75-80 range based on settings most have posted).

Otherwise, just run the slides when not using the TV to help age it more evenly so it settles down and you can calibrate it and so you get through the first 100 or so hours when it's more susceptible to IR faster. That doesn't make it more resistant to IR than just using it normally for 100 hours, but it gets you through that period faster than turning it off when not in use obviously. And that's a good thing as you can start using it normally while still in the return period in case you find your uses lead to a lot of IR or other problems that make you want to return it.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-30-2013, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! And can someone post me a like to the best slides to download?
Also do the links come with instructions or do I need to find out here what settings to put when running the slides and how exactly to do it?
Thanks!
post #4 of 9 Old 01-30-2013, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

http://www.eaprogramming.com/downloads/download_main.htm

Download the images (second link down) and put on a usb drive or SD card.

Assuming a 2012 Panny, run them in slide show in the picture viewer (viera tools menu). Default settings other than change interval to slow. For picture settings just use the Custom settings for the picture viewer. That's contrast at 100, brightness at 50 etc.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-30-2013, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

What about the other settings other than contrast and brightness?
I want to make sure I have all the settings correct when I do the slides.

Thanks!
post #6 of 9 Old 01-30-2013, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

I noticed on the slides link it says you need a T.V. capable of looping images from a memory card with no onscreen display.
What does that mean?
post #7 of 9 Old 01-30-2013, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Don't matter. Just go with default custom settings. If its not a panny, then just turn contrast all the way up and brightness around the midpoint. The other settings are moot when it comes to aging the panel with the slides.

Note that that is just for the slides. When watching TV, use normal settings (whatever you get with a disc like Disney WoW, or use settings people posted on here for your model). You want contrast at normal calibrated levels for normal watching, just all the way up on the slides to help age the phosphors faster.

To the second post, it just means the TV needs a photo viewer app with an endless slide show with no logos on the screen. The 2012 Panny's have that by default. Just set the interval to slow and start the slide show in the picture viewer. It will run endlessly until you stop it manually.

Again, just assuming you have a 2012 Panny. If you want more specific instructions you need to post the make and model of your tv.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-30-2013, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mine is a TC-P60GT50

Is that a 2012?

By the way.. thanks for all the help!
post #9 of 9 Old 01-30-2013, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member