Mysterious black rectangle on my Panny TH-42PZ700U when accessing Comcast "On Demand" - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-31-2013, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I suddenly was confronted with a large black rectangle occupying about 75 percent of my display when I accessed On Demand. I attributed the phenom the the STB'son to Comcast and called its tech support. The tech seemed clueless (actually tech support from C has been reasonably timely and effective--overall I'd give C a "B") and said he would send a signal to my STB. Usually they have you "power off" the box, but I noted that I was currently using the STB's DVR to record a program and obviously preferred a fix that would not involve powering off the box unless the recording would not be disrupted. The tech seemed to understand this and asked me to simply turn off the display and turn it back on again in about 15 minutes and the problem should have gone away. He said if that didn't work, I could call again and my original complaint/concern would be on the record for the next technician.

It did't work. As soon as I launched On Demand, the black rectangle reappeared.

I was distracted by the advertising on the On Demand screen so I hit the mute on the remote for the Panny display. The rectangle disappeared. When I hit the volume control, sound was restored but so was the rectangle.

I then remembered that I'd been experimenting earlier with the close caption boxes on the Panny's remote, trying to see if CC would be recorded with a DVR recording using the STB's recorder. I'd tried it with CC 1 through 4 and was unable to pick up the CC stream or channel on screen, so I went on to T1 and left it there, and forgot it was selected.
(My daughter-law has some hearing loss and I'd like to be able to make DVR recordings available to her when she's a guest in my home.)

I'm clearly very nearly completely unknowledgable about CCTV. I seem to vaguely remember that "T1" may have something to do with telephone or Internet DSL communication.

Have I inadvertently both created and solved the mystery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-01-2013, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
It might be that the closed captioning on your Comcast cable box. Do you know how to go into the service menu of the Comcast cable box?

A couple of threads/articles that might help.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/How-do-I-turn-on-off-closed-captioning/td-p/1325597

http://captionmax.com/blog/2010/08/hdmi-and-the-missing-closed-captions/
post #3 of 3 Old 02-02-2013, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the tip re the CC option for my cable box. Apparently, my cable box does not offer that option and, based on my conversation today with Comcast, I'll have to trade my current DVR box for one with the added CC TV option. This is a bit of a hassle since, as you probably know, it is "unauthorized" for a customer to telephone a Comcast store, even if the number were not secret--which it is.

The Comcast tech said I should visit the Comcast store (about 7 miles from my home) and, if they have a newer, CC TV-equipped box in stock, ask to have it reserved for me, go back home, bring in the old box and trade for the new box.

This is not going to be worth this hassle, I suspect, so I'll see if I can pass up this great opportunity.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page