Newbie question: love Plasma picture quality but... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-01-2013, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Have been using a small LCD TV and think about upgrading. Have been hanging onto the idea of getting a large LCD (e.g. 70" Sharp), but always curious by plasma picture quality. Went in a showroom to check out panasonic ST50. Was very impressed by the black level, color accuracy and off angle viewing of plasma when compare it side by side with a Samsung LED. From picture quality point of view, plasma seems a no brainer choice.

Now I have a few concerns:

1. reflection; my current LCD screen is matte and I barely see reflection at night when I leave a table lamp on. For ST50, I noticed that screen is more glossy like, and reflection is quite annoying. Do you have to turn all the lights off to watch ?

2. My TV room is fairly bright. The room is a long rectangular room facing south west, so fairly bright at day time. TV sits at short end sofa is about 10-13' away. On the right side of TV there are two big windows plus glass door to the back yard. I do watch a fair bit of sports program at day. I can close the window curtain although it won't block all the light. Will it be too bright ?

My main use for the TV is sports program and occasionally some movies. Wonder if plasma TV will work for my situation. thanks for advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-01-2013, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 17
1. You can use bias lighting, which enhances the picture without straining your eyes. I bought the Antec HDTV Bias Lighting kit from Amazon, but i'm pretty sure you can find it at FS/BB/etc. If not, the louvre filter does a pretty good job when it comes to ambient light - now its not as good as LEDs in brightrooms because they just overpower any ambient light because they are inherently brighter then plasmas

Also - matte screen destroy quality because it basically diffuses light, glossy is better in a controlled environment imo. Smart lighting placement can also fix this (move them out of your field of view smile.gif

2. Depends on how much ambient light comes in...Panasonics can definately get brighter than Samsung plasmas, but not as good as LCDs. But the black louvre filter should shorten the gap. I guess you'll need to try it out to be sure.
fsong1169 likes this.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-01-2013, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks very much for suggestions. Will do some research on the bias lighting and the filter.
post #4 of 4 Old 02-02-2013, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Sorry for the confusion - the Louvre filter thing is a feature of Panasonic ST/GT/VT series.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page