Should I get the TCP50U50? Educate me! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-01-2013, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi yall,

So I have been looking at the Panasonic TCP50U50 which seems to be pretty nice, and I've found it at $599 which is $100 less than Future Shop. Most people are telling me to go LCD/LED, and there are a couple sets in similar price range (but closer to $800). Honestly I haven't looked at that many LEDs but the ones I have seen the picture all looked kind of "fake" somehow. I guess I am leading towards a plasma but need some guidance from well informed people. The TV will go in a basement, I don't think light will be an issue. I want the best picture quality under $800, preferably around 50" like this Panasonic.

What would be the best sets, regardless of if they are plasma or LCD, to cross-shop with the TCP50U50? What are the biggest reasons to stick with plasma or not to? Help me make up my mind!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-01-2013, 10:39 PM

Liked: 14
If it's going to be in a basement, then there is definitely no reason to bother with an LCD. The U50 is a good set, but I think the UT50 can be had for 800 if you shop around. The UT50 is an awesome set for the money, and will honestly look better than just about any LCD you can buy, much less at that price point. I bet your friends will be singing a different tune once they see a UT50.

Plasma pros:

much deeper blacks
better colors
better uniformity
better motion
better input response
cheaper

Plasma cons:
not as bright (2012 3D Pannys are good and bright though)
use more power
can suffer from image retention (not really a big deal though imo)

LED pros:
brighter
use less power
No IR

LED cons:
the good ones are more expensive than plasma's and still don't match them in PQ
blacks are washed out
motion handling isn't as good
more input lag
various uniformity issues.

HTPC: I3 2100, Radeon 6950.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-02-2013, 08:07 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by byron84 View Post

Hi yall,

So I have been looking at the Panasonic TCP50U50 which seems to be pretty nice, and I've found it at $599 which is $100 less than Future Shop. Most people are telling me to go LCD/LED, and there are a couple sets in similar price range (but closer to $800). Honestly I haven't looked at that many LEDs but the ones I have seen the picture all looked kind of "fake" somehow. I guess I am leading towards a plasma but need some guidance from well informed people. The TV will go in a basement, I don't think light will be an issue. I want the best picture quality under $800, preferably around 50" like this Panasonic.

What would be the best sets, regardless of if they are plasma or LCD, to cross-shop with the TCP50U50? What are the biggest reasons to stick with plasma or not to? Help me make up my mind!

Aside from maybe the Samsung PNE550 series Plasma, there's not another TV in your price range that will approach the picture quality of a U50/U54. And any LCD or LED LCD TV you find even at twice the price won't look as good as a U50/U54.

Here's the Official U50/U54 Thread chock full of information about this TV:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1410013/the-official-panasonic-u50-54-owners-thread

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #4 of 5 Old 02-07-2013, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Decided to get the UT50, will be delivered to gf's place next Thursday. biggrin.gif

Thanks for all the input!
post #5 of 5 Old 02-07-2013, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by byron84 View Post

Decided to get the UT50, will be delivered to gf's place next Thursday. biggrin.gif

Thanks for all the input!

I think you will be happy with the UT50. I got mine last month and it looks great.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page