Major wifi stuttering issues with Panny GT50 on otherwise fast network - help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 02-04-2013, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi - first off, we are LOVING this TV picture-wise! Made the jump from an old 40'' Samsung LCD to this beautiful 50'' GT50. Had it wall-mounted two days ago and have tweaked picture settings to a level we're happy with. That said, I'm really frustrated about the fact that our wifi speed on the TV itself seems to be...bad. Here's our home network setup:

Cable modem: Comcast
Router: Cisco Linksys E1500

I also have a PS3 hooked up next to the TV. The PS3 streams Netflix and YouTube flawlessly (including HQ vids on YouTube in HD). However, the GT50's YouTube app won't let me watch a video for more than 10 seconds before it starts to stutter and lag. The video eventually becomes out of sync with the audio too. It's awful.

Do I have a defective model? It just doesn't make sense. We get about 21 Mbps download speeds on our network, and my wife's and my laptop (and the PS3) don't lag whatsover when streaming video. So it's definitely not a speed issue. We aren't downloading anything on the network when attempting to stream through the GT50, either.

Any help from you great folks would be much appreciated...otherwise the Geek Squad may have to come replace our set with a working one. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-05-2013, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

...anyone? Bueller? confused.gif

What's odd is my PS3 sits literally right next to the TV, and the wifi on that is totally fast and fine. Not so with the GT50.
post #3 of 14 Old 02-05-2013, 09:20 AM
TWD
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I am having a similar issue with the VT50. On some Netflix streams it flickers. For example, I was watching Chain Reaction the other night and I saw some flickering throughout the movie. After that I watched The Gift and saw none.

If you search the net you will see that Panasonic BR players have the same issue. It seems to be a compatibility issue with the Panasonic and Netflix's adaptive streaming. I don't know what can be done about it other then using a external streaming box or a BR player other then Panasonic. Also don't know why it appears to affect some movies and not others. My internet download speeds are 15mbs to 19mbs, so I don't think that is an issue in my case.
OrangeCrush84 likes this.

TWD
post #4 of 14 Old 02-05-2013, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush84 View Post

Hi - first off, we are LOVING this TV picture-wise! Made the jump from an old 40'' Samsung LCD to this beautiful 50'' GT50. Had it wall-mounted two days ago and have tweaked picture settings to a level we're happy with. That said, I'm really frustrated about the fact that our wifi speed on the TV itself seems to be...bad. Here's our home network setup:

Cable modem: Comcast
Router: Cisco Linksys E1500

I also have a PS3 hooked up next to the TV. The PS3 streams Netflix and YouTube flawlessly (including HQ vids on YouTube in HD). However, the GT50's YouTube app won't let me watch a video for more than 10 seconds before it starts to stutter and lag. The video eventually becomes out of sync with the audio too. It's awful.

Do I have a defective model? It just doesn't make sense. We get about 21 Mbps download speeds on our network, and my wife's and my laptop (and the PS3) don't lag whatsover when streaming video. So it's definitely not a speed issue. We aren't downloading anything on the network when attempting to stream through the GT50, either.

Any help from you great folks would be much appreciated...otherwise the Geek Squad may have to come replace our set with a working one. Thanks in advance.

I'd go into the network settings on the tv and see what the signal strength is, there should be the usual bar graph in there. If it is down to two or maybe three that could be the problem. My ST30 was good until I moved it to a further room and I got the same symptom you have.
post #5 of 14 Old 02-05-2013, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post

I'd go into the network settings on the tv and see what the signal strength is, there should be the usual bar graph in there. If it is down to two or maybe three that could be the problem. My ST30 was good until I moved it to a further room and I got the same symptom you have.

I'll have to try that...I don't remember seeing a "signal strength" meter in the network settings on the GT50 but I must have missed that. Worst case, we'll move our modem/router from the upstairs office where it currently sits down to our media tower next to the TV downstairs. Maybe that will help. Thanks!
post #6 of 14 Old 02-05-2013, 12:32 PM
TWD
AVS Special Member

Mine shows 5 bars. Is that the max? Also is the Panasonic a wireless g or n?

TWD
post #7 of 14 Old 02-05-2013, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 61
The panny's are G, N and dual band (2.4 and 5ghz). Yes, five bars, if it's weaker the bars on the right will be gray instead of green I believe.
post #8 of 14 Old 02-05-2013, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I checked and I have 4 out of 5 bars in signal strength. So that doesn't appear to be the issue, unfortunately.
post #9 of 14 Old 02-06-2013, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

After playing around with things a bit more last night, I've found that not EVERY YouTube video I play through Viera Connect stutters--it only seems to happen with very high-quality HD vids, and videos with lots of movement. Netflix seems pretty stable. However, opening the Viera Connect web browser and trying to stream an episode of The Following through FOX's website? Total failure. It wouldn't even load the freakin' video!

I used to have an old laptop hooked up via VGA cable/audio cable to our TV for doing this type of thing. I may just go back to that since the wifi from the old laptop was at least reliable!
post #10 of 14 Old 02-06-2013, 09:06 AM
TWD
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The panny's are G, N and dual band (2.4 and 5ghz). Yes, five bars, if it's weaker the bars on the right will be gray instead of green I believe.

I don't see any green bars. I only have 5 gray bars on the left.

TWD
post #11 of 14 Old 02-06-2013, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is your router dual BAN? I recently moved many of my devices to my 5ghz network with great success. Do you have alot of other things going on LAN or WAN when you see these issues?

I have a new ASUS 1750 AC Rotuer and both a 2.4ghz SID and 5ghz SID. I am connecting the Vierra to the 5GHz ban since I have so many other devices ipads/pcs/phones. I have tried to load balance and prioritze the devices using the 5ghz.

You may want to try a speed test on both the PC and the PS3 and see the results. If they are right next to each other I would expect them to be similar (even thought the ps3 is wireless g only)

Also some tests you can do would be to run the same content from netflix to the vierra and the ps3 and compare the results.
post #12 of 14 Old 02-06-2013, 10:18 AM

Is your router dual BAN? I recently moved many of my devices to my 5ghz network with great success. Do you have alot of other things going on LAN or WAN when you see these issues?

I have a new ASUS 1750 AC Rotuer and both a 2.4ghz SID and 5ghz SID. I am connecting the Vierra to the 5GHz ban since I have so many other devices ipads/pcs/phones. I have tried to load balance and prioritze the devices using the 5ghz.

You may want to try a speed test on both the PC and the PS3 and see the results. If they are right next to each other I would expect them to be similar (even thought the ps3 is wireless g only)

Also some tests you can do would be to run the same content from netflix to the vierra and the ps3 and compare the results.
post #13 of 14 Old 02-08-2013, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagg21 View Post

Apparently the Linksys N-router I just bought is not dual--it's just the 2.4 ghz.

I have already tried the speed test running YouTube content (mostly what doesn't work on Viera for me) on Viera, and also through the PS3. PS3 never has any issues, even with the highest quality video. Viera does, unfortunately. The worst is the Viera web browser. If I try to stream a video on someone's website, I can't even get it to start playing.
post #14 of 14 Old 05-28-2013, 03:55 PM

Hello everyone. Can people please post their smart TV's internet speeds here. I would like to compare download speeds directly from their tv to modem (not roku, etc). I have Comcast and get >40mb/s on my computer/ipad/etc. On my panasonic GT50 browser, I'm catching barely 6mb/s! I am hardwired, too.

On your web browser, please go here: http://speedtest.comcast.net/

This particular webpage runs on the Panasonic unlike other speedtesting sites. Please share your results. Also, any tips for me to get my allowable speed please do share (ie. ip address/DNS settings/etc. Thank you.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page