Do any Non-Reflective Plasma's exist? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-08-2013, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Title of the thread is what Im wondering. Do any non-relective plasma's exist in the market aside from the high end tv's? I bought a 60" Panasonic U50 about a week back to replace my 5 year old LCD and when I put it in the same exact spot as the LCD the screen was basically unwatchable from the reflections on the display. It was literally "glare" and very distracting ruining the viewing experience. However the reason I sought out a plasma instead of a LED TV was picture quality that had deep contrasty blacks and rich colours. Which was very much evident from plasma's picture quality as I looked at it in comparison to my old LCD. After so much deliberation and frustration I returned the TV after a couple days (seriously it was no fun setting up a 60" tv and then hauling it back to return it). I still really want a plasma TV instead of LED and obviously making one last ditch attempt before I buy a LED TV to ask on here and see if there are any plasma TV's on the market that dont reflect and glare.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-08-2013, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 86
The LG PM9700 is the only matte plasma out there.

Panasonic made a matte plasma years ago, it looked terrible and nobody liked it so they never made another one. I haven't seen the LG but I'd assume it doesn't look very good.
Thunder_God_Thor likes this.

ht Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT
lr Panasonic 50ST60, Sony BDP-S5100
post #3 of 6 Old 02-09-2013, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post

The LG PM9700 is the only matte plasma out there.

Panasonic made a matte plasma years ago, it looked terrible and nobody liked it so they never made another one. I haven't seen the LG but I'd assume it doesn't look very good.

Wow so just the one plasma with a matte screen on the market eh. Thats disappointing. Any plasma's out there that greatly reduce glare/reflections? or is this something that you just cant avoid with plasma's and have to watch them in a dark room....
post #4 of 6 Old 02-09-2013, 01:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Yeah, basically anything after the U series models (U50 or UT50), which would include the ST50, GT50, and VT50 use a very effective louver filter. It's very good at minimizing glare. The model you purchased has no type of AR coasting on it which is why it was so reflective. The Samsung E7/E8000 also have a really good AR filter, although it isn't as good as the Panasonic.
Thunder_God_Thor likes this.

ht Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT
lr Panasonic 50ST60, Sony BDP-S5100
post #5 of 6 Old 02-09-2013, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post

Yeah, basically anything after the U series models (U50 or UT50), which would include the ST50, GT50, and VT50 use a very effective louver filter. It's very good at minimizing glare. The model you purchased has no type of AR coasting on it which is why it was so reflective. The Samsung E7/E8000 also have a really good AR filter, although it isn't as good as the Panasonic.

Ok thanks for this information. Its just what I was looking for. Does LG have any plasma's that use a anti-reflection filter of any kind?
post #6 of 6 Old 02-09-2013, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Just after my last post I found this article and it basically answers all my questions. For anyone wondering the same thing as I did this has the all answers:

http://www.rtings.com/info/what-is-a-plasma-anti-glare-filter
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page