GT50 not very bright - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 02-12-2013, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought the Panasonic GT50 yesterday, pretty much cause of the great reviews after researching for months and finally having the money to buy one.. After watching some Blu rays and watching tv in HD, I did notice the tv is not very bright at all. I did have a samsung LED for about a year so maybe I'm just ued to the brightness.. I was wondering if its gonna be like this from now on or does it get better... Should I go back to an LED.. Thanks......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-12-2013, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecko915 View Post

I just bought the Panasonic GT50 yesterday, pretty much cause of the great reviews after researching for months and finally having the money to buy one.. After watching some Blu rays and watching tv in HD, I did notice the tv is not very bright at all. I did have a samsung LED for about a year so maybe I'm just ued to the brightness.. I was wondering if its gonna be like this from now on or does it get better... Should I go back to an LED.. Thanks......

First of all if you are using standard mode get out of that it is not a bright mode at all, have you tried thx bright room ? Be cautious of cranking the settings the first couple of hundred hours tho this can cause IR. Unless you are looking for surface of the sun brightness the GT50 should be more than adequate. What are your settings right now ?

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #3 of 17 Old 02-12-2013, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Plasmas are inherently more dim than LCDs. But contrast is what counts for the most part - pay attention to the blacks and shadow detail in the Blurays you watch. If you watch letter boxed movies - notice how the bars almost blend into the bezel. I can guarantee that your old LCD will look grey in comparison (assuming brightness isnt cranked - mine is at 56 for example, 58 in day light setting)

Watch in a darkened room if possible - your eyes will adjust and the whites will look bright. If you have no control in lighting conditions, and there are windows, lights and reflections then Plasma might not be your best option. Give it a couple weeks then go back to your LCD and i would bet that the PQ would pale in comparison to your GT50.
post #4 of 17 Old 02-12-2013, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

My living isn't too bright and I can control the brightness but to me the only setting I like is THX bright room.. I think I'm just used to the brightness of my old LED but will give this plasma a few more weeks.. Are there any LEDs that you would recommend or should go to another thread?
post #5 of 17 Old 02-12-2013, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecko915 View Post

My living isn't too bright and I can control the brightness but to me the only setting I like is THX bright room.. I think I'm just used to the brightness of my old LED but will give this plasma a few more weeks.. Are there any LEDs that you would recommend or should go to another thread?

The only LEDs even close would be Sony HX850, 950 or 929 or the Sharp Elite, you are going to pay significantly more tho and those sets have their own issues.. Give it a couple weeks I think you the plasma pic will grow on you and the picture quality will improve as the set ages.

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #6 of 17 Old 02-12-2013, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I will probably do that.. What do you think of the samung es6500 or lg7600?? Thanks for your guys responses, helps me out a lot...
post #7 of 17 Old 02-12-2013, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Dont have first hand knowlege of those have not heard good things about the Samsung. I did here the LG is pretty good. Someone maybe able to give you more info or you can go to the LED forum and get some opionions. I honestly believe Plasmas when you consider the value win everytime.

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #8 of 17 Old 02-12-2013, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Plasma is all about black level and superior contrast ratio. Brightness isn't its advantage. If you watching it in a bright lit room, this isn't the best choice. The only advantage of LCD/LED is brightness. If that is all you are craving for, go for it. For LCDs, don't fall for the thinese eye candy because they are all edge lit and black level really suffers. For best PQ, you want to get one with local dimming which means it usually is as thick or even thicker than plasma.
post #9 of 17 Old 02-12-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
This TV can get plenty bright in just custom mode. If you're C/B is set properly then everything will look as it should. If a scene is supposed to be bright, it will be, if the picture looks too dim, it's probably because the scene is dimly lit. You can make everything brighter if it's more appealing, but then you're distorting darker scenes. THX Bright Room isn't a bad mode though, it might wash out some detail but it's not all that noticeable. As long as you set the C/B properly you shouldn't distort anything too badly. I use THX Bright Room if I'm not watching TV in the dark.
post #10 of 17 Old 02-12-2013, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

The only advantage of LCD/LED is brightness. If that is all you are craving for, go for it. For LCDs, don't fall for the thinese eye candy because they are all edge lit and black level really suffers. For best PQ, you want to get one with local dimming which means it usually is as thick or even thicker than plasma.

I just can't seem to quit this site completely. biggrin.gif

To the above statement, I'd also add almost no risk of IR or buzzing--both things that have drove me batshit insane the two times I've tried plasmas.

Also, while not on this site (given it's an a/v enthusiast site), not everyone is a videophile. I honestly don't care much about black levels, contrast, motion blur and all that other a/v techie stuff. I just want a TV from a decent brand with a clear, bright picture that I can use with no worries about IR (tons of ESPN and video games), buzzing and other annoyances. So plasma isn't for me. Gave a Panny UT50 a chance recently and it went back after a couple of weeks for IR and buzzing annoyances just like the last time I tried plasma.

And I'm too cheap to go full array/local dimming LED. I went with the 55" Panny ET5 edge lit LED set when I sent the plasma back and have been thoroughly pleased with it. Yeah, dark scenes aren't as good as on the plasma. But dark scenes are probably less than 10% of my viewing since I"m watching a couple movies a week and otherwise mainly watching sports and playing video games (and not a lot of dark ones).

So to the OP, if you're not a videophile who cares about getting an accurate/close to reference picture, don't let the videophiles convince you otherwise. It's perfectly fine to not obsess over that stuff, to prefer a brighter screen or to care more about not having to worry about IR rather than having the most accurate picture possible. What matters is getting a TV that you're happy with and that is well suited to your uses. If you are into a/v gear as a hobby (and there's nothing wrong with that) and want to get an accurate picture, then yeah--give yourself time to adjust to the plasma as it will do a better job (especially for the price) than an LED set. But too many people who aren't (and don't want to become) videophiles come on here and end up agonizing over their purchases when they should really just stay away from sites like this that really only cater to the obsessive gear heads.
post #11 of 17 Old 02-12-2013, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Local dimming LCDs aren't much thicker (if any) than edge-lit LCDs. But all flat panels are fairly thin nowadays (plasma included) so it's not even worth mentioning thickness.

@OP, if you're used to eye-searing brightness levels that LCDs are capable of, then maybe you should stick with LCD. For the brightness levels that the 2012 Panasonic plasmas are capable of (~50ftL+) it's bright enough for even brighter rooms, and plenty bright for 'normal' room conditions. But then again, some people just like eye-searing brightness.

The HX850 is the lowest LCD I would even consider buying, and even that costs more than a GT50.
post #12 of 17 Old 02-12-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post

To the above statement, I'd also add almost no risk of IR or buzzing--both things that have drove me batshit insane the two times I've tried plasmas.

. . .

I just want a TV from a decent brand with a clear, bright picture that I can use with no worries about IR (tons of ESPN and video games), buzzing and other annoyances. So plasma isn't for me. Gave a Panny UT50 a chance recently and it went back after a couple of weeks for IR and buzzing annoyances just like the last time I tried plasma.

I'm with you. Was upgrading from a 3-year-old Samsung LCD and bought a Samsung UN60ES6500. Unfortunately, the uniformity issues drove me insane. Flashlighting on the corners, and cloudiness/splotchiness in the center of the screen. Sure, when there was bright content it looked pretty good, especially once calibrated, but if the scene was dark, I'd get clouds on the sides and in the middle of the screen. I thought the first unit I got was defective, so I swapped it out, but the replacement was even worse.

So I came here, read reviews, and even though I (1) watch a lot of sports and (2) play a lot of video games, decided to give the GT50 a try. I have not set it up yet, but I'm aware of the buzz issues and potential IR and burn-in issues. I'm hoping that these are, in fact, just gearhead concerns and no more, and am looking forward to a solid TV that performs on all fronts. We'll see how it does in video gaming, which is really my number one concern.

But let's say the GT50 has issues that also drive me insane. Short of dropping $4K to buy an Elite, why is there not a single mid-range 60-inch LCD/LED that I could get for $2K that will give me a decent picture, no flashlighting/cloudiness, and the suite of Smart Apps that are now de rigeur on all TVs? It seems like you have to compromise: (1) buzz/IR/burn in, or (2) cloudiness/uniformity problems.
post #13 of 17 Old 02-12-2013, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinataman View Post

I'm with you. Was upgrading from a 3-year-old Samsung LCD and bought a Samsung UN60ES6500. Unfortunately, the uniformity issues drove me insane. Flashlighting on the corners, and cloudiness/splotchiness in the center of the screen. Sure, when there was bright content it looked pretty good, especially once calibrated, but if the scene was dark, I'd get clouds on the sides and in the middle of the screen. I thought the first unit I got was defective, so I swapped it out, but the replacement was even worse.

So I came here, read reviews, and even though I (1) watch a lot of sports and (2) play a lot of video games, decided to give the GT50 a try. I have not set it up yet, but I'm aware of the buzz issues and potential IR and burn-in issues. I'm hoping that these are, in fact, just gearhead concerns and no more, and am looking forward to a solid TV that performs on all fronts. We'll see how it does in video gaming, which is really my number one concern.

But let's say the GT50 has issues that also drive me insane. Short of dropping $4K to buy an Elite, why is there not a single mid-range 60-inch LCD/LED that I could get for $2K that will give me a decent picture, no flashlighting/cloudiness, and the suite of Smart Apps that are now de rigeur on all TVs? It seems like you have to compromise: (1) buzz/IR/burn in, or (2) cloudiness/uniformity problems.

Yeah, there are no perfect displays. Especially not a $1,000 and under (for 55-60" models) that is my budget.

On my ET5 there is cloudiness if I put up a solid black screen--but I don't notice it during dark scenes in movies etc. But again, I'm not very picky on that type of stuff. I don't know what flashlighting is (and won't look it up as I don't want to discover a flaw I haven't noticed in normal use! :-) ), but I haven't noticed any issues with light bleed around the edges etc. Only flaw I have seen is there is a tiny bit of shadown in the bottom right corner (maybe 1/4" if that much) in bright scenes. I can easily leave with that.

As for buzzing--that just varies by unit (some sets just buzz more than others--even within the same size and model it can be luck of the draw) and how sensitive you are to hearing and being annoyed by electronic buzzing/humming. I'm very sensitive to hearing that type of noise, so it just drives me nuts.

As for IR, I was getting it on the UT50 after a few hours of ESPN, CNN or gaming even after running the slides for 100 hours to get past the time when the panel is supposed to be most sensitive to IR. It was all temporary, with the worse going away after 4 hours or so of watching other stuff. But I was still seeing it during normal viewing (and not just on white slides etc.), which worried me since I was still being more cautious than I'd like as I love leaving ESPN on all day when working at home, sometimes game 6-8 hours when I get sucked into a new game etc. So I just didn't want to chance it as I'll never change my viewing habits to fit the flaws of a TV. I'll give up PQ to find a TV that won't get damaged by my usage habits any day of the week.

Smart apps I couldn't care less about as I have all that stuff on my Bluray player, as well as my Xbox 360 and PS3, and those are easier to get 5.1 sound from usually (one less cable to deal with since you don't need to run a cable from the TV to the receiver). But I know they are useful for people who just have a TV and no sound system.
post #14 of 17 Old 02-12-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post

Yeah, there are no perfect displays. Especially not a $1,000 and under (for 55-60" models) that is my budget.

Yeah that's fair. My budget was a little higher ($2K) but your statement applies to that range as well. I might give the GT50 a whirl and return it and wait for the Samsung F8000 series to be released in (hopefully) a few weeks.
post #15 of 17 Old 02-12-2013, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
I'm changing my mind here on the subject. I think Game mode is now a great setting to use if you want some added brightness. Personally I find Custom to be great, but depending on what you're watching it can be a little too dark, even if that is what the intended picture should look like. THX BR is good to add some brightness, but it does so at the cost of losing a lot of detail. The other option is to turn the back light to Hi on Custom mode. This adds good brightness, but introduces some pretty noticeable dithering, which can make the picture look grainy. The solution is to use Game mode, which is a brighter version of the custom mode. See if you find this to be any better, but be careful of IR using such settings. Also, don't expect a very accurate picture, you're getting artificial brightness.

**SETTINGS**

Game Mode

Contrast - 95

Brightness - 50

Color - 45

Sharpness - 50

Color Temp. - Warm1
post #16 of 17 Old 02-12-2013, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks man. As soon as I get home, I'll try it out..
post #17 of 17 Old 02-17-2013, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Ecko Before you give up on a GREAT tv, just put it in 'CUSTOM" mode, then set the contrast to 80...set brightness to about 55, and set on "Warm 2." That's a good start. It is in the ballpark of both CNet (David Katzmeier) as well as D-Nice. You need to have your room moderately "darkened" out at minimum (if not dark). That tv is not too dark. I mean, unless you really prefer a "Vivid" setting...and then we cannot help you if that's your preference. It's like drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon ! Get back with us !cool.gif
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page