Brand new tc-p50ut50- 2 questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-13-2013, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Folks

I'm new to big flat TVs and this forum so please indulge my noobness.

Just replaced my 20 year old 27" Sony with a Pansonic tc-p50ut50. Loving it so far. I spend most time watching it in a dim room but I do watch in the daytime as well on the weekends (sports and stuff). It would be nice to have it "self adjust" under variable conditions using it's light sensing feature (c.a.t.s.) and I'm wondering if anyone could suggest :adjustments that work for daytime-not too bright settings.

The c.at.s. feature doesn't seem to work all that well in that it dims the screen too much. Has anyone had success with the c.a.t.s feature?

Finally, anyone know how to access the "expert settings" on this TV? I tried -vol and info x3 with no sucess.

In advance, thanks!

Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-14-2013, 06:48 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthec View Post

Hi Folks - I'm new to big flat TVs and this forum so please indulge my noobness. Just replaced my 20 year old 27" Sony with a Pansonic tc-p50ut50. Loving it so far. I spend most time watching it in a dim room but I do watch in the daytime as well on the weekends (sports and stuff). It would be nice to have it "self adjust" under variable conditions using it's light sensing feature (c.a.t.s.) and I'm wondering if anyone could suggest :adjustments that work for daytime-not too bright settings. The c.at.s. feature doesn't seem to work all that well in that it dims the screen too much. Has anyone had success with the c.a.t.s feature?

I don't think i've seen a single person here that uses the CATS setting - everybody that posts their Panasonic TV settings always has it OFF. I think there is an older thread about CATS floating around the forum.

Quote:
Finally, anyone know how to access the "expert settings" on this TV? I tried -vol and info x3 with no sucess.

Dunno what you mean by "expert settings", but if you're talking about accessing the hidden Service Menu, there's nothing to be gained there unless you have special calibration equipment and know how to use it. Fiddling around in there often results in the owner ruining his TV.

If you're talking about the "Pro Settings" user menu, the UT50 does not have it - only the higher-end ST50/GT50/VT50 models have it. UT50 and U50 do not.

Here's two threads about your TV that you can browse:

Official Panasonic UT50 Series Discussion Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1406618/official-panasonic-ut50-series-discussion-thread

The Official Panasonic UT50 Settings/Issues Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1412033/the-official-panasonic-ut50-settings-issues-thread
gregthec likes this.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #3 of 3 Old 02-14-2013, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for getting back to me on this Randy,

Yes, I meant the service menu. I have no plan to change anything; just wanted to see it. (which I have now succeeded in doing.).

For now, I'll just watch the TV, full screen as suggested by the many, using settings that I'm finding on this site.

My only frustration with this TV thus far would be that I have to use one setting while watching movies and a different setting for daytime viewing (like sports or a weekend movie). Everyone seems to suggest disabling c.a.t.s which suggests that it's a useless feature; so why have it? In a perfect world the TV would automatically adjust to my setting based on Day or Night or perhaps the c.a.t.s. feature would have some adjustability.

It's funny, going from my 27" Sony to this TV, the larger screen on this Panasonic is great, awesome, beautiful, etc, but It also increases my desire to tweak! I'm spoiled now.

Greg
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P50ut50 50 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page