What seems like moving pixels or tiny grains on my plasma... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 02-14-2013, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do all plasma's look as if there are tiny specs moving when you are viewing light colored scenes?
Kinda like grains moving?

I have noticed this in both my new GT50 I had to replace because of a faulty panel (red line down the screen),
and with the replacement.

What exactly is this and is it normal or is something wrong with the replacement set?
Thanks

Edit:
Noticed that it shows up in some movies and some not.
All in HD. Used similar circumstances such as a scene with the sky which showed it most.
Not sure why some movies are showing this alot and some virtually none.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 02-14-2013, 10:40 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman77 View Post

Do all plasma's look as if there are tiny specs moving when you are viewing light colored scenes?
Kinda like grains moving? I have noticed this in both my new GT50 I had to replace because of a faulty panel (red line down the screen), and with the replacement. What exactly is this and is it normal or is something wrong with the replacement set?
Thanks

Exactly how close are you getting to the screen when you're seeing these specs?

Do you see them from a normal viewing distance?

And what picture mode are you using when you see them?

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gallery -
post #3 of 20 Old 02-14-2013, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Yup pretty normal viewing distance.

Whats odd is that on some movies I don't see it really at all.
But a couple of movies I do.

Im using standard mode with the contrast turned down to about 46 because I'm breaking it in without slides.
Turning up the contrast actually made it worse on the movie I noticed it on.

All movies I looked at were in HD.
None on Disc, all on HD channel.
A few on the same channels.

Wonder why some movies are not showing this...?
And the a couple have it bad.
I recorded all these movies on my box.

Any ideas on what this is or what is causing it?
What other scenarios should I look at while hunting this problem?

Do all plasmas do this?
post #4 of 20 Old 02-14-2013, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 223
If you see sparkles at normal distance, check your HDMI cable. Plasma panels use pixel dithering to simulate shades that it can't natively show. But such dithering noise won't be noticable on normal viewing distance.
post #5 of 20 Old 02-14-2013, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
A minority of people claim to be afflicted by it from a normal viewing distance (a claim of which I'm quite skeptical; of course, it depends upon one's definition of "normal" in that case).
post #6 of 20 Old 02-14-2013, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

At a distance of about 6 feet I can see it definitely.
Here is a pic from 6 feet. Those grains move.

This is the movie it is WORST in.
Some movies seem to virtually not have it at ALL.
Some a little.. and this one BAD.

These are all from HD movies I recorded on my TiVo box.
I also noticed them while watching live.
Could it be the way the movie was not filmed in HD originally or that it's an older movie?
For some reason the movies I have noticed this on the most... even though they are NOT on disc, but are on HD channels, it seems
to be older movies that show it the most out of the four movies I have tested.

post #7 of 20 Old 02-14-2013, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
If you can see them youre sitting too close. On my 60" ST50 im at 9ft no problems - but sometimes i push the couch up to 7ft to get a "THX Recommended" viewing angle - and its fine as well. This is while wearing my newly acquired prescription glasses - so pretty good sight.
post #8 of 20 Old 02-14-2013, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
It really depends on the source material honestly. On older HD movies or poor looking HD shows you will notice a lot of graininess. Personally I consider anything on any major network (NBC, ABC, FOX, USA, TNT) to be of poor HD quality, but there are some exceptions. The only time I don't notice a lot of pixelation is on networks like Discovery, A&E, Nat. Geo, etc.
post #9 of 20 Old 02-14-2013, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Ok here are some more pics...

Notice this is the worst of these four.. and it's the oldest movie of the four.

post #10 of 20 Old 02-14-2013, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

But what the HECK are these little square pixel looking items all over the screen? (You can see them on the sky part of the picture more)
Really did not notice these until I took the pic and it was still lol.
Click to zoom in on the pics.

post #11 of 20 Old 02-14-2013, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

In the first picture they look like the embers from the fire to me. All of that looks pretty normal as far as I know.
post #12 of 20 Old 02-14-2013, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm watching Animal Planet right now and I can sit literally 2 feet in front of the TV and I can barely see any dithering. Opposite that I found episodes of House, Law & Order, Grey's Anatomy, and NCIS that all had noticeable dithering, even from 10 feet away. All of those shows looked terrible to me on my old LCD too, so I can't blame my Plasma here.
post #13 of 20 Old 02-14-2013, 12:16 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Ok Standard Mode is the worst picture mode you can use and looks like ass. No wonder the TV looks bad. Nobody uses Standard mode, and you cannot judge the TV's picture quality in this mode.

And the fact that you see it on some content but not on other content indicates that the problem is from the content, not with the TV.

Try using Custom mode with proper picture settings or try a THX mode and you should have a much better picture.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

Gallery -
post #14 of 20 Old 02-14-2013, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Ok Standard Mode is the worst picture mode you can use and looks like ass. No wonder the TV looks bad. Nobody uses Standard mode, and you cannot judge the TV's picture quality in this mode.

And the fact that you see it on some content but not on other content indicates that the problem is from the content, not with the TV.

Try using Custom mode with proper picture settings or try a THX mode and you should have a much better picture.

+1
post #15 of 20 Old 02-14-2013, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

As far as standard mode.
I am using that just for the break in period.

I was told it is best to have the contrast down during this time and I wanted the other settings a little low too.

My contrast is at 46 for the break in period since I am not using slides.
Is this too low for that even? What should the contrast be set at for low during break in?

I did notice that the other settings.... when I tested them... actually WORSENED the grainy picture...
cinema, THX cinema, vivid etc. so I don't believe the standard setting (while it does not look as good overall with picture color quality),
has anything to do with the graininess being worse. I actually wish it did lol.

The content thing did raise a flag to me but I am no expert by any means so wanted to ask about this issue overall.

Thanks for the input everyone!
Still open for other theories if we have not talked about them all!
post #16 of 20 Old 02-14-2013, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpectre88 View Post

In the first picture they look like the embers from the fire to me. All of that looks pretty normal as far as I know.

This pic was actually the worst one:

Like I said on that movie it was.... HORRIBLE.
post #17 of 20 Old 02-14-2013, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As far as standard mode.
I am using that just for the break in period.

I was told it is best to have the contrast down during this time and I wanted the other settings a little low too.

My contrast is at 46 for the break in period since I am not using slides.
Is this too low for that even? What should the contrast be set at for low during break in?

I did notice that the other settings.... when I tested them... actually WORSENED the grainy picture...
cinema, THX cinema, vivid etc. so I don't believe the standard setting (while it does not look as good overall with picture color quality),
has anything to do with the graininess being worse. I actually wish it did lol.

The content thing did raise a flag to me but I am no expert by any means so wanted to ask about this issue overall.

Thanks for the input everyone!
Still open for other theories if we have not talked about them all!

You don't have to use Standard, you can use THX Cinema or Custom, maybe just avoid THX BR or Vivid. I would still use a fairly low contrast if you're watching content with static elements though. I imagine the graininess would get worse, the brighter you make the picture, the more noticeable it's going to be. Oh, and I can definitely relate to that picture, reminds me of Burn Notice on USA.
post #18 of 20 Old 02-14-2013, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpectre88 View Post

You don't have to use Standard, you can use THX Cinema or Custom, maybe just avoid THX BR or Vivid. I would still use a fairly low contrast if you're watching content with static elements though. I imagine the graininess would get worse, the brighter you make the picture, the more noticeable it's going to be. Oh, and I can definitely relate to that picture, reminds me of Burn Notice on USA.

Glad to hear it seems to be an input problem (the signal strength), or just a problem with how they filmed the program for some reason.
Makes me feel much better.

So what contrast number should I be at for the break in period? Say I just want to use THX cinema but lower the contrast. (since it is set to 75 in that setting).

I thought you were supposed to have it at 50 or below for the break in period if not using slides?
post #19 of 20 Old 02-14-2013, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So what contrast number should I be at for the break in period? Say I just want to use THX cinema but lower the contrast. (since it is set to 75 in that setting).

I thought you were supposed to have it at 50 or below for the break in period if not using slides?

That's a general rule of thumb, but it's not exactly set in stone. Personally I use THX Cinema on 100 contrast, because even then it's still not as bright as Custom at 80 contrast. I suggest using something slightly less than what you prefer, but you don't need to make the screen completely dim. Also, the reason to use low contrast is only because of static elements like logos, and black bars. On a station with bright white logos you want to use lower contrast, but if the station dims its logos then it's not as necessary, but it's up to you how you would approach that. For instance, you're supposed to run the D-Nice slides at 100 contrast, so it's not that the TV itself should only be used at half contrast.
post #20 of 20 Old 02-14-2013, 03:15 PM

Liked: 20
Have you tried turning down the sharpness level?

The first time I watched Fifth Element I was appalled at how crappy and grainy the sky looked. Turned the sharpness down and it was a lot better.

Just a thought.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page