Quick thoughts on a TV for mom. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-15-2013, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
She has been driving me crazy wanting to buy this Coby (TFTV3925) (1080P) tv as she can get it for $269. Great deal, right! HMM, I'm not so sure.
Well, she doesn't have any money and I hate to see her wasting it on a TV, but she is 68 and is currently watching a 19" POS. I'm sure she would be able to see a 39" MUCH better so I'm torn on how to advise her. She has $300 that she insist on buying a TV with, and knowing my mom, and the fact that she has yelled at me when I tried to talk her out of it, says to me that it is going to happen either way. So, like the nice son I asked her to HOLD off until I at least have a chance to find out what the heck is up with COBY brand TVs. CR doesn't like them much, EVERYTHING I read says that they have horrible sound quality, but the picture is OK. I don't know how long they have been around or how long they last, but they aren't on CRs reliability chart so that tells me they aren't too popular.

OK, on to the real question here. Do I really worry about this as she is going to see an upgrade in quality/picture, maybe not in sound, but that still might be bettter that the 19" POS she got from Aldi's when I wasn't looking????

Otherwise, the next best thing I see out there is a Westinghouse (EW39T6MZ) (1080P) for around $350 and then it goes to a Samsung plasma (PN43E450) for about $379, but is only 780P. The viewing angle and refresh rate would be much better, but the resolution is worse.

I need help from a 3rd party here in making a decision that would be right. I just don't want her to waste her money on a potential POS that will die in a year or two (if that is the case with the Coby or Westinghouse).

THoughts, or maybe other suggestions of a TV in the 37" to 42" range?

Also, for the record, I'm a stricly Panasonic man, but I can't seem to find anything in that size range even close to her price range.

Please help, and soon! :-) She is going to be calling me 3 or 4 times a day until I get her a new TV. If I can get an quick solution, it might just save my marriage as well. :-)

THANKS in advance....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-15-2013, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Sammy plasma for reliability. If she sits more than 8 feet or so from the set the resolution difference won't matter.

Steve S.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-15-2013, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. Anyone else agree or disagree???

Also, just got back from Costco and another option for $350 is a Visio 39". Don't recall the model..??
post #4 of 8 Old 02-15-2013, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
I got an open box Samsung 40" @ Best Buy for less than $300. I would suggest that you not get a plasma for her as her viewing habits might cause burn-in. At her age the Coby is probably enough as long as it's reliable. I would check the big box stores though and see if they have any deals on a return.

Mike

post #5 of 8 Old 02-15-2013, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, sounds like I've got one vote for Samsung, one for Coby?

I would like to get some more thoughts so I'm not on the fence any more. ;-)

Thank.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-16-2013, 04:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassett72 View Post

Thanks.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-18-2013, 04:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I would also steer any mother away from Plasma - they generally just want things to work and not worry about things like IR or burn-in, so LCD or LED would take that potential issue out of the equation smile.gif
post #8 of 8 Old 02-18-2013, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassett72 View Post

Thank.

As much as I love Plasma - we have 3 Panasonics in our house, and several times that in the Immediate Family - I would also opt for a LCD for my Mom.

Frankly, at the lower end of the market, would buy from CostCo, IF AT ALL POSSIBLE: the included 90-day Return Period is useful in case of Infant Mortality, and the added Second Year Warranty could be a significant advantage.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page