50GT50 or 50ST60 ? I have to go small w/ a 50"= Question is "Will the ST60 be as good as the GT50 ?" - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-17-2013, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have to stay smaller, so I am looking for the best 50" possible from Panasonic. We are at the end of the season and GT is actually going up some in price here at the end. I am just wondering if I should grab a 50"GT50...or wait for the new 50"ST60 ? I do not want to DROP in quality. Price is not a real issue, but the size is. Just wondering if Panasonic is sliding "up" in quality for the ST (they did last year). Thanks for any insight !wink.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-18-2013, 04:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Why do you have to stay smaller?!

Go large! tongue.gif
post #3 of 4 Old 02-18-2013, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
It might help you to know that most people agree that the ST50 and GT50 were essentially identical in picture quality if you ignore the THX modes of the GT (calibrated GT and ST will both be better than THX mode, but it's not a bad option for a user who doesn't want to get into that). The GT50 supposedly has more shades of gradation, but everything I've seen and heard about this suggests that at best it isn't possible to see and at worst it increases dithering.

I grabbed a 55" GT50 at about its lowest price point, but I wouldn't buy one now with them going back up in price. Even if the ST60 is identical in picture quality to the ST50 that would make it basically identical to the GT50, but potentially with upgraded CPU or image processing (as far as I know these details haven't been revealed and probably won't until a review, but it wouldn't surprise me if any upgrades for 2013 were in the processing).
post #4 of 4 Old 02-18-2013, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemX View Post

Why do you have to stay smaller?!

Go large! tongue.gif

I am not sure why you are asking me to explain why I have to stay small, but so as to not appear as some kind of "size wuss," I have a 110" screen in my dedicated theater room that cost me over $30,000. Is that big enough? I am looking to replace a 40" television (LCD) in a small bedroom, on a relatively small dresser. The dresser will only accomodate a 50" maximum. I think a 50" tv in a small bedroom is very sufficient. I hope that now meets with your approval...geesh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by headlesschickens View Post

It might help you to know that most people agree that the ST50 and GT50 were essentially identical in picture quality if you ignore the THX modes of the GT (calibrated GT and ST will both be better than THX mode, but it's not a bad option for a user who doesn't want to get into that). The GT50 supposedly has more shades of gradation, but everything I've seen and heard about this suggests that at best it isn't possible to see and at worst it increases dithering.

I grabbed a 55" GT50 at about its lowest price point, but I wouldn't buy one now with them going back up in price. Even if the ST60 is identical in picture quality to the ST50 that would make it basically identical to the GT50, but potentially with upgraded CPU or image processing (as far as I know these details haven't been revealed and probably won't until a review, but it wouldn't surprise me if any upgrades for 2013 were in the processing).

Thanks "headless." Yea, I'm basically aware of the similarity of the ST50 and GT50, etc., but anyway, I like your thinking about the possible ST60 upgrades exceeding the overall PQ of the GT50. Oh ! An additional plus to waiting would be the TWO free pairs of 3-D glasses apparently to be offered with the ST-60. I guess we will see what we will see (unless the 50GT50 starts to go DOWN very soon, rather than up like it has this past week...weird !.)
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P50st60 50 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - P50gt50 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page