The Official What would you do? thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-20-2013, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry for the long post.

I'm in the market for a new living room tv and have a couple options.

I have a Panasonic TC-P50V10 in my media room. This is my default viewing space. After-hours with the wife, or weekends with the kids.

The budget allows the purchase of one of two displays (I've narrowed it down - two different scenarios).

Media room swap option - Panasonic TC-P55UT50 would replace the media room display (bigger). The V10 would go to the living room.

No swap option - Samsung UN46EH5000 would be the new living room unit.

I have a high-end plasma in the the media room now. By all accounts, the UT is a mid-level plasma line. I can't get past the thought that I'll see a downgrade based on that alone. Bigger is better, sure, but bigger is also more telling of flaws (I'm about 9' from the display). I'm not itching for 3D, but it would be nice. The UT line has no anti-glare coating, but it's not a bright room. What else?

Option two would put a decent LED-backlit LCD display in the living room. No muss, no fuss. Reviewed universally well. A couple hundred cheaper.

Bottom line - If I'm going to notice a downgrade in picture quality with the UT, I don't want it to replace my V10. If it's lateral, the size and 3D are worth it for me. Any thoughts?

What would you do?

*edited to get rid of useless ramblings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-20-2013, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I'd take the UT50. If your V10 is calibrated, then the UT would have less options as far as adjustment. It's been the general consensus here that the UT50 is essentially the same as the ST50 minus the AR filter, which shares a panel with the GT50, which is not far apart in performance from the VT50...you get my point. Considering the age of your V10 (a 2009 model) combined with the known issues from that model year (the dreaded black-level rise), I'd say the the UT50 should generally have better performance than your V10, the only caveats being the UT only has two HDMI inputs and is very reflective, which you indicated wouldn't be a real issue for you. Considering the prices that 55" UT50s are being blown out for now, I'd say it's a no-brainer, especially when you factor in the fact that Panasonic will not be offering anything at the price/performance ratio of the UT50 ever again.

ht Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT
lr Panasonic 50ST60, Sony BDP-S5100
post #3 of 6 Old 02-21-2013, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter

The V10 isn't professionally calibrated, but I did use the DVE disc. Will that work just as well on the UT?

I have noticed the blacks start to grey over the last year. Kind of a bummer. Did Panasonic fix that with the newer displays?

Yeah, Costco has it for $699 right now. Pretty crazy.
post #4 of 6 Old 02-21-2013, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by xneox View Post

The V10 isn't professionally calibrated, but I did use the DVE disc. Will that work just as well on the UT?

I have noticed the blacks start to grey over the last year. Kind of a bummer. Did Panasonic fix that with the newer displays?

GET THE UT50! wink.gif

I had a 65V10 (great display), but the current crop of TV's are superior in most every way. I have a GT50 and VT50 and they are far superior to my old V10.
fatuglyguy said it better than I....
post #5 of 6 Old 02-21-2013, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by xneox View Post

Yes the rising blacks were fixed starting in 2011

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #6 of 6 Old 02-26-2013, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the opinions, fellas. I ordered the 55" UT50...anxious to get it up on the wall now.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page