Old Plasma Vs Newer Plasma - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-21-2013, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have a Panasonic TH50PZ80U, I am pretty happy with the set even though it does buzz like mad. I was looking at possibly upgrading to a 55vt50 or 60gt50.
Would the picture quality be a noticeable improvement over my current set?
Which TV would be the better buy, or is it time to wait for the 2013 sets to be released?

I use the TV strictly for gaming and movies. I watch no television at all. The TV is hooked up to my PC and I play games and movies from there.
My sitting distance can range anywhere from 7-12 feet away from the TV.

Any info and opinions would be great. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Most likely yes yo would see an improvement with either TV....Int eh end though only your eyes can trully tell you that...

Better buy it all depends on price and persoanl preference...

You can try to find the GT or the VT, but most likely you will see stock starting to dwindle as stores make room for the 2013 models.....
Old 02-21-2013, 08:24 PM
wgc

I just went from a 46pz85u, to a 60gt50.

No comparison!! Deeper blacks, more accurate color, brighter picture, improved audio quality
Bluetooth audio, 3D, web access, on and on.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:43 PM

Have you noticed a difference in heat output as well? I have 2 50PZ85Us and the TV in the bedroom heats up the room considerably. I looked up the power consumption of my unit and it's 690W. The newer TVs consume less than half of that so I would assume there would be a difference in heat production.

Thanks!
Old 02-22-2013, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
The newer TVs consume less than half of that so I would assume there would be a difference in heat production.

We have 3 Pan plasmas: 42", 50", and 60" - Smallest to Largest, but also Oldest to Newest.

"Heat output per square inch of panel area" has undoubtedly declined (presumably = Improved) with each newer panel - but (AS A GUESS) the sheer size differential between the 60" and (at least) the 42" offsets the improved efficiency.

One thing to keep in mind is HOW the power consumption is determined. For example:on the two older panels, "Standard Mode" is BRIGHTER than Cinema, whereas with the newer set (a 60ST50) "Standard" is the Least Bright picture mode (given all are at their Default settings).

IF Panasonic measured all three panels at Default Standard Mode Settings, the "Improved Efficiency" of the 60" would likely be overstated for MOST users.
That is, WE run the 60" in Cinema most of the time, moving to Custom for some viewing (particularly for day time / bright room viewing - & notably for Sports broadcasts).
The various "picture settings" posts on the board suggest that MOST users also do NOT routinely use Standard, thus foregoing Energy Efficiency in favor of Improved PQ.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I upgraded from a 2008 Panasonic 46PZ80U to a 2012 50ST50.
The black levels were noticeable improved and much brighter picture as well plus the new set is much thinner and lighter so easier to install.
I also like the additional features including smart TV internet functions and 3D.
Its getting late in the cycle to buy the 2012 models though however, they are in short supply and not as many good price deals as a few months back.
The 2013 model ST60 won't be a huge change however.