8 inch black vertical bar on Panasonic TC-P50GT30 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-22-2013, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A large black vertical bar recently appeared on our 50in Panasonic Plasma on the right hand side of the screen (see attached) while watching TV via Direct TV HDMI.

I tried adjusting aspects, ratios, resolution, etc. with no luck. The bar does move depending on the ratio though. No clue. What's funny is the black bar is not present when watching DVDs (which is also connected via HDMI) or playing the WII via the component input. I've tried swapping HDMI ports and cables too with no luck.

TV is 15 months old.

Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-22-2013, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by briana101 View Post

A large black vertical bar recently appeared on our 50in Panasonic Plasma on the right hand side of the screen (see attached) while watching TV via Direct TV HDMI.

I tried adjusting aspects, ratios, resolution, etc. with no luck. The bar does move depending on the ratio though. No clue. What's funny is the black bar is not present when watching DVDs (which is also connected via HDMI) or playing the WII via the component input. I've tried swapping HDMI ports and cables too with no luck.

TV is 15 months old.

Any help would be appreciated.

If it is not present on your other sources and you have swapped the HDMI cables it has got to be the box itself, have tried connecting thru component cables ?

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #3 of 5 Old 02-22-2013, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Took your suggestion and tried the DTV box on another TV but could not replicate the problem. I was using YWR video connection though (don't have another HD TV). So I tried the YWR video connection on my Panasonic GT30, and the problem was gone. Then I switched to new HDMI cable, and the problem is still gone. So I'm happy as can be. I suspect maybe it was a bad HDMI cable, however, I can't exactly duplicate the problem with the old cable now, though the picture is definitely not as good with the old cable.

Thanks again. Case closed for now.
post #4 of 5 Old 02-22-2013, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by briana101 View Post

Took your suggestion and tried the DTV box on another TV but could not replicate the problem. I was using YWR video connection though (don't have another HD TV). So I tried the YWR video connection on my Panasonic GT30, and the problem was gone. Then I switched to new HDMI cable, and the problem is still gone. So I'm happy as can be. I suspect maybe it was a bad HDMI cable, however, I can't exactly duplicate the problem with the old cable now, though the picture is definitely not as good with the old cable.

Thanks again. Case closed for now.

That's great Briana glad its resolved smile.gif If you need a good replacement cable check out monoprice

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #5 of 5 Old 02-22-2013, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
It's good that its gone... but I think you have done nothing...:-( so it will likely come back. I suspect a loose connection in a board which was now working because you played with the cabling. Hopefully, it won't come back but now you know that it is likely on the "backside" and can probably be rectified.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt30 50 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page