Oily Looking Splotches on the Screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-22-2013, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got a 65" VT50 in December and absolutely love the TV. Today, after the TV had been on for a few hours, I noticed that there were image distortions in the center of the screen. I looked more closely, and there were what appeared to be splotches in the center of the screen that were distorting the image. I got a soft cotton cloth and tried wiping the screen. It wasn't something on the screen itself.

The splotches kept growing so I freaked out and turned off the TV. Once I did the splotches slowly started shrinking until they disappeared completely. I left it off for about 15 minutes, turned it back on, and now an hour later they still haven't returned, but what is going on here? It looks like oil on the surface of water, and a little bit like the screen has some kind of film on the front of it that's beginning to separate from the screen itself.

Since this TV is only a few months old should I just take it back and get a new one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-22-2013, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by slgshane View Post

I got a 65" VT50 in December and absolutely love the TV. Today, after the TV had been on for a few hours, I noticed that there were image distortions in the center of the screen. I looked more closely, and there were what appeared to be splotches in the center of the screen that were distorting the image. I got a soft cotton cloth and tried wiping the screen. It wasn't something on the screen itself.

The splotches kept growing so I freaked out and turned off the TV. Once I did the splotches slowly started shrinking until they disappeared completely. I left it off for about 15 minutes, turned it back on, and now an hour later they still haven't returned, but what is going on here? It looks like oil on the surface of water, and a little bit like the screen has some kind of film on the front of it that's beginning to separate from the screen itself.

Since this TV is only a few months old should I just take it back and get a new one?

You might have more luck in the VT50 owners thread

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #3 of 4 Old 02-22-2013, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

You might have more luck in the VT50 owners thread

There was a couple people in the VT thread that had the same thing happen. Might want to pm them and see what they came up with.
post #4 of 4 Old 02-22-2013, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Sounds maybe like a peeling/warping AR filter?

ht Panasonic 60" ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Sony KDL-32W650A, Sony BDP-S1000ES, Marantz PM8004, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT, Sennheiser HD598
lr Panasonic 50" ST60, Sony BDP-S5100, Apple TV
pc Energy CB-5, Audioengine D1, FiiO A1
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page