Room too bright for a plasma? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 02-25-2013, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Planning for a new tv. ~ 42".

My room is pretty bright. Too bright for a plasma? We'd like to move the TV from where it is to the blue square, and rearrange furniture appropriately.

We have decent shades and the bigger windows face east, smaller up-high window faces north, so it's not a worst case scenario.

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-25-2013, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublemazaa View Post

Planning for a new tv. ~ 42".

My room is pretty bright. Too bright for a plasma? We'd like to move the TV from where it is to the blue square, and rearrange furniture appropriately.

We have decent shades and the bigger windows face east, smaller up-high window faces north, so it's not a worst case scenario.

Thoughts?

Most of my windows face east and even with a fair number and only partially covered I have no issues with a plasma....but I have a lot of trees around the house so major sunlight issues I only experience during times it shines thru areas of little/no cover (not a lot except for a few hours a day but even at the brightest on the weekends with some shades on most of the east windows not a big deal). Still prefer the plasma pic over the LCD from a similar model from the same brand in the same spot, but my plasma also has an excellent screen treatment for anti-glare (PN59D8000 Samsung), think a notch higher than the LCD (a UN60C6300 Samsung and my major complaint with the LCD was in darkened environments with the uneven blacks/flashlighting/clouding thing).

post #3 of 12 Old 02-25-2013, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I have a 60GT50 and recently moved my furniture around. The tv is now directly across from a bank of 3 windows. I do have curtains and blinds that I can close when needed. With the tv in THX bright room, and curtains open, the picture looks really good. The GT gets plenty bright without losing black. Now if you're worried about glare, then that is a concern for all panels lcd, led, and plasma since there are few (if any) that have matte screens anymore. The GT does a pretty good job in that area too, better than most actually. That high window across from where you plan to place the tv shouldn't pose a problem since the filter works best with light coming from above.

post #4 of 12 Old 02-26-2013, 10:28 AM

Liked: 11
Also you have to determine when you watch the tv most. Even though you didn't ask I would also suggest you look a little bigger than 42" unless tv watching is more of a casual thing. Biggest complaint would be that they went too small and 42" seems small for that size room. Find what fits your budget and see what's the biggest you can comfortably afford.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-26-2013, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

I would love to go up to 50" but this is the only room on our place besides the bedroom and we would rather not have the room lorded over by a TV. It was already a bit of a job to convince the lady that 42" wouldn't be too large. Sometime soon we'll be in a bigger place with a man cave with space for a bigger set and I can get a sunburn from sitting in front of it.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-26-2013, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Yep, that setup looks like it needs a 60", assuming the sofa will be moved to the position across from the tv.

post #7 of 12 Old 02-26-2013, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Will you tell my wife?
post #8 of 12 Old 02-26-2013, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:

I would love to go up to 50" but this is the only room on our place besides the bedroom and we would rather not have the room lorded over by a TV. It was already a bit of a job to convince the lady that 42" wouldn't be too large. Sometime soon we'll be in a bigger place with a man cave with space for a bigger set and I can get a sunburn from sitting in front of it.

Principle problem you are likely to face is that the Better Plasma panels simply no longer come in sizes below 50".

Would expect any of the Panasonics, from the ST50 Series & UP, to work rather well in your room. Their louvered filter does a nice job of rejecting overhead light, and the sets seem capable of maintaining adequate PQ in a well lit room - but they only come in 50" or larger (and 55" is the smallest VT50).
The top 2 or 3 Samsung plasma model lines should also work fine.

If you have Sun / Very Bright Daylight falling directly on your screen, any panel will struggle - although something with a Matte Finish ought to have an advantage. Alas, the only Matte Finish Plasma - to the best of my knowledge - is the top 2012 LG line. Furthermore, MOST LCD panels are also no longer "Matte" screens, and thus will be just a prone to reflections as plasma panels will. (CNET has kept a running - that is, periodically updated - article on Matte Finish HDTVs, so you might take a peek at their web site).

And certainly agree with the recommendations to look at sets that are At Least 50". Prices on some of these are quite reasonable, the smaller bezels on modern sets make them appear less "bulky," and you will almost certainly enjoy a superior PQ under almost all viewing conditions.

Best of luck with your shopping!
post #9 of 12 Old 02-26-2013, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Will you tell my wife?

Take her to try them on. Before you do, measure the distance from the couch to the wall where the tv will live. When trying them on try to achieve the same distance from the tv. Also, since you'll be far away from the tv, bigger is better for 3D. I mounted my 60" on an articulating mount and although we didn't buy the mount for it's ability to extend, it does make watching 3D so much better. Our sofa is only about 7ft away.

post #10 of 12 Old 02-26-2013, 11:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
A 2012 Panasonic will get plenty bright enough. The upper window across from the planned TV position might cause reflection problems when it's open, but that would be the case for any TV, even a matte LCD.

post #11 of 12 Old 03-01-2013, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Given the available ~42 inch plasmas, would you guys say it's worth going the plasma route, or do the LCDs at this size make them a better option?
post #12 of 12 Old 03-01-2013, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

Given the available ~42 inch plasmas, would you guys say it's worth going the plasma route, or do the LCDs at this size make them a better option?

I think either a 42" LCD or Plasma would be fine. Though, if you are planning to move the sofa across from the TV and keep a fairly open floor plan, I think a larger panel would be easily workable and not much more noticeable. If you haven't already, take a walk through the hdtv section of a big box store with your wife, sometimes visualization helps the upselling process..
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page