65VT50, to buy or not to buy? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 39 Old 02-28-2013, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Please help. Need advice and opinions. After much research I have decided to pull the trigger on a 65VT50. To my dismay, none are available. The only one I can find in a 500mile radius is a display model @ BB. My question is, should I risk this one or wait for the 2013's? It's been run for somewhere in the neighborhood of 3000 hours. They want $2600 for it. I've been reading about lifespan of plasmas and break-in periods. Their sales guy assures me that it will come with full warranty. What would you do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 02-28-2013, 10:36 AM

Liked: 27
Wait
post #3 of 39 Old 02-28-2013, 11:15 AM

post #4 of 39 Old 02-28-2013, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Hmm, well now the Mag guy says its only been on display since Aug @ 11hrs a day is more like 2K hours and I talked them down to 2500. I have bought many things online an had no issues whatsoever, just never this expensive and large.
post #5 of 39 Old 02-28-2013, 11:54 AM

Liked: 11
Last thing I would do is purchase a used one for $2600 when a new one is only $2500 with no tax from Paul's. Prepare to pay in excess of $3,200 for a 2013 model.
post #6 of 39 Old 02-28-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kheovnien View Post

Last thing I would do is purchase a used one for $2600 when a new one is only $2500 with no tax from Paul's. Prepare to pay in excess of $3,200 for a 2013 model.

I second that. DO NOT BUY USED..
post #7 of 39 Old 02-28-2013, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

I went to Paul's and their price is 3299, but atleast they show it as instock and new
post #8 of 39 Old 02-28-2013, 01:43 PM

There is a $800 coupon your missing. just order one for 2499 delivered no tax.
post #9 of 39 Old 02-28-2013, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, awesome, thx. I'm doing all this on my phone. I'll check for that on the PC when I get home. Is the coupon on their site or do I go somewhere else to get it. Thanks again!
post #10 of 39 Old 02-28-2013, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Here is the deal:

Paul's TV has the Panasonic Smart VIERA TC-P65VT50 65" Plasma HDTV for $2499.99 + Free White Glove Delivery + No Sales Tax after Coupon Code: "SAVE800" (Exp Soon). Be sure to opt for Free White Glove Delivery at checkout. This flagship TV sells for at least $3000 at other reputable vendors. [Compare Prices]

post #11 of 39 Old 02-28-2013, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 36
tell ur best buy store to check ddc. my bb's ddc has alot of vts left.
post #12 of 39 Old 02-28-2013, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for the great replies, I appreciate you taking the time to weigh in
post #13 of 39 Old 02-28-2013, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Maybe I have a different mindset than some of the other posters. I wouldn't mind the used VT50 at all just so long as it was in great condition. By that I mean there's no damaged pixels, no sings of IR, no uniformity. 2,000 hours is 1/50th of the total given life of the TV. The problem is you may not be able to tell the quality of the TV in the BB store environment.
post #14 of 39 Old 02-28-2013, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpectre88 View Post

Maybe I have a different mindset than some of the other posters. I wouldn't mind the used VT50 at all just so long as it was in great condition. By that I mean there's no damaged pixels, no sings of IR, no uniformity. 2,000 hours is 1/50th of the total given life of the TV. The problem is you may not be able to tell the quality of the TV in the BB store environment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandlf2 View Post

Hmm, well now the Mag guy says its only been on display since Aug @ 11hrs a day is more like 2K hours and I talked them down to 2500. I have bought many things online an had no issues whatsoever, just never this expensive and large.

So you don't mind the thought of all those little kids putting their hands all over it all year long…? People turning it on and off repeatedly throughout the day. What kind of shape is the remote in? When I was looking, I remember the sales guy asking me if I'd be interested in a floor model not 10 minutes after he just drummed his index finger knuckle on the glass talking about it... LMAO. And their floor model price was no good.
Bottom line is, you don't know what kind of abuse that TV has seen.
...and who's to say it doesn't have 'damaged' pixels... did you check?
The last I knew, both Best Buy and Pauls had plenty of 65 inch VT50's.
I just picked up a 55" VT50 for $1459.
Get out there and do some homework and don't make any hasty decisions unless you get prices that have been discussed on this thread.

Domino's donÂt fall all at once, they fall one at a time...
post #15 of 39 Old 02-28-2013, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Where did you get that price ?

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #16 of 39 Old 02-28-2013, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolk112000 View Post

So you don't mind the thought of all those little kids putting their hands all over it all year long…? People turning it on and off repeatedly throughout the day. What kind of shape is the remote in? When I was looking, I remember the sales guy asking me if I'd be interested in a floor model not 10 minutes after he just drummed his index finger knuckle on the glass talking about it... LMAO. And their floor model price was no good.
Bottom line is, you don't know what kind of abuse that TV has seen.
...and who's to say it doesn't have 'damaged' pixels... did you check?
The last I knew, both Best Buy and Pauls had plenty of 65 inch VT50's.
I just picked up a 55" VT50 for $1459.
Get out there and do some homework and don't make any hasty decisions unless you get prices that have been discussed on this thread.

I'm sure it's not that bad, but I stressed the point it had to be in near perfect condition to even be considered. The main reason would be that you're getting a unit you know functions as intended, buying a new plasma can be a bit of a lottery. As for your 'damaged' pixel comment, I already covered that in my first post.
post #17 of 39 Old 03-02-2013, 12:01 PM

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpectre88 View Post

Well Best Buy asking $2500/2600 is way too high for a used model. They are just price gouging hoping someone comes by and buys it not knowing any better.
post #18 of 39 Old 03-02-2013, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbleboyjones View Post

Well Best Buy asking $2500/2600 is way too high for a used model. They are just price gouging hoping someone comes by and buys it not knowing any better.

True, it should really be at least a couple hundred cheaper.
post #19 of 39 Old 03-02-2013, 02:32 PM

Liked: 15
Thanks for the heads up on the Paul's TV deal. An AMAZING deal, I have to say. I am in FL and was not aware of this vendor. But after I spoke to them over the phone, I have to say that they seemed surprisingly professional and helpful. Great costumer service, and nothing like what you get at Best Buy. I think I will pull the trigger, but first I was wondering if any of you guys have had any good experiences with this vendor. Again, I was impressed with what they have to offer ($2500 + free white glove shipping, plus no tax in my case... a savings of at least $700 over Best Buy)... But it doesn't hurt to ask here first, just in case. I had my share of horror stories buying online, and I have never bought such a large item online before, so your feedback is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
post #20 of 39 Old 03-02-2013, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Zt60 all the way.

Panny 60VT60 Acurus 200x3
Pioneer Elite 05FD &51FD
2 Oppo 83's Pioneer Elite DV 59AVI
Paradigm SIg2 v3's & 490cc
Pioneer Elite SC61 SVS SB12NSD
2 S-VHS VCR's
post #21 of 39 Old 03-02-2013, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 118
^^

You don't know that. Nobody knows what we'll get. We get opinions based on stagings w/ prototypes. The VT is known & great.
post #22 of 39 Old 03-02-2013, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glashub View Post

^^

You don't know that. Nobody knows what we'll get. We get opinions based on stagings w/ prototypes. The VT is known & great.
You are right jack.
But the panny sets have gotten better, from the sucky V10 to the so so VT25 to the better VT30 and now the even better VT50. I would think the ZT60 will be even a step better.

Pioneer Elite 05FD &51FD
2 S-VHS VCR's
post #23 of 39 Old 03-02-2013, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 118
You are right too, mack. Here's the deal...$2500 for a VT now. I come from 2 Kuros. Don't feel like I'm hurting at all. The VT is very nice. The ZT will only be released to Magnolia stores, Amazon and a few other select stores. As I wrote in another forum, in my opinion we’re seeing these kinds of deals on the VT because of an unusual confluence of events; Best Buy matching prices with spam sites during the holiday season and Paul’s TV doing the same. It put downward pressure on the whole market imo.

BB has cleaned it up now after what must have been a gut wrenching holiday audit and has posted the names of the competitors they will price match for all, including employees, to see.

No more price matching buytvcashonly.ru type sites.

I just don't think we'll see ZT prices plummet during the holidays. Could be wrong. Just my conjecture.

It becomes a return on investment type of deal...great deal on a VT now or wait 9 months and hope to get a great deal on a ZT. And during the 9 months, hope that there aren't a slew of new problems introduced by the new pixel and single glass design.

People rely on this forum for full reporting, you know that, not just some dashed off statement.
post #24 of 39 Old 03-02-2013, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glashub View Post

You are right too, mack. Here's the deal...$2500 for a VT now. I come from 2 Kuros. Don't feel like I'm hurting at all. The VT is very nice. The ZT will only be released to Magnolia stores, Amazon and a few other select stores. As I wrote in another forum, in my opinion we’re seeing these kinds of deals on the VT because of an unusual confluence of events; Best Buy matching prices with spam sites during the holiday season and Paul’s TV doing the same. It put downward pressure on the whole market imo.

BB has cleaned it up now after what must have been a gut wrenching holiday audit and has posted the names of the competitors they will price match for all, including employees, to see.

No more price matching buytvcashonly.ru type sites.

I just don't think we'll see ZT prices plummet during the holidays. Could be wrong. Just my conjecture.

It becomes a return on investment type of deal...great deal on a VT now or wait 9 months and hope to get a great deal on a ZT. And during the 9 months, hope that there aren't a slew of new problems introduced by the new pixel and single glass design.

People rely on this forum for full reporting, you know that, not just some dashed off statement.

I get a new display every two years. Sold my 5020 Kuro to DNice back in Dec of 2011 when he calibrated my new 65VT30. My VT30 has been perfect so far and i don't even have 1000 hours on it. By years ends i will be ready for another display and i plan on a 60" ZT unless there is bugs or problems with it.

I buy my stuff at Audio Visions South in Tampa FL, they ran in my 65vt30 for me for about 40 hours before they brought it to my house to make sure there were no problems with it.

I plan to wait out OLED for a few more years.

Pioneer Elite 05FD &51FD
2 S-VHS VCR's
post #25 of 39 Old 03-03-2013, 06:22 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban Medaglia View Post

Thanks for the heads up on the Paul's TV deal. An AMAZING deal, I have to say. I am in FL and was not aware of this vendor. But after I spoke to them over the phone, I have to say that they seemed surprisingly professional and helpful. Great costumer service, and nothing like what you get at Best Buy. I think I will pull the trigger, but first I was wondering if any of you guys have had any good experiences with this vendor.

I was skeptical at first too, but decided they couldn't possibly be any worse than the big local store I have used in the past (issues w/ returns, bait and switch tactics, other shady stuff for another thread) so I went for it. My CC also offers some protection so I wasn't as worried.

I just received my 65VT50 from Paul's a couple days ago. It took about 10 days from the time I ordered until delivery. I couldn't be happier with the price and service I received and would recommend them to any of my friends. Luckily there were no issues with the TV - so I cannot comment on easy of return if necessary.

Just a disclaimer - I know it might look sketch since my post count is low, but I am in no way affiliated with Paul's or any other electronics retailer. I just never have anything of value to offer in these threads.

post #26 of 39 Old 03-03-2013, 06:58 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumpwitch View Post

I was skeptical at first too, but decided they couldn't possibly be any worse than the big local store I have used in the past (issues w/ returns, bait and switch tactics, other shady stuff for another thread) so I went for it. My CC also offers some protection so I wasn't as worried.

I just received my 65VT50 from Paul's a couple days ago. It took about 10 days from the time I ordered until delivery. I couldn't be happier with the price and service I received and would recommend them to any of my friends. Luckily there were no issues with the TV - so I cannot comment on easy of return if necessary.

Just a disclaimer - I know it might look sketch since my post count is low, but I am in no way affiliated with Paul's or any other electronics retailer. I just never have anything of value to offer in these threads.

Thank you very much! I truly appreciate the feedback. From what I found online, the majority of reviews are overwhelmingly positive. If you don't mind me asking, how was the actual delivery/installation/set-up process, in your opinion? Did the delivery folks treat the TV as a delicate item, or did they quickly put everything together and leave? (this has has happened to me... at one point, a TV stand was damaged in this manner). Again, I appreciate your feedback. I might pull the trigger tomorrow.
post #27 of 39 Old 03-03-2013, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you very much! I truly appreciate the feedback. From what I found online, the majority of reviews are overwhelmingly positive. If you don't mind me asking, how was the actual delivery/installation/set-up process, in your opinion? Did the delivery folks treat the TV as a delicate item, or did they quickly put everything together and leave? (this has has happened to me... at one point, a TV stand was damaged in this manner). Again, I appreciate your feedback. I might pull the trigger tomorrow.

I ordered a GT50 from Paul's. It was the first TV I have had delivered so I don't know the expected procedure. Only one person delivered it, so I offered to help him carry it upstairs. He didn't have any of his own tools and didn't seem to know how to put it together, but It only took a quick glance at the menu to see how it went. We plugged it in and I checked the outside and screen of the TV for obvious defects. I would say it went alright, but it was nothing special.
post #28 of 39 Old 03-03-2013, 08:26 PM

Liked: 12
I think Paul's uses a 3rd party delivery company so YMMV. I am in Phoenix area and the TV was delivered by a company called "homedirect".

There was no installation or what I would consider a set-up process. There were 3 dudes - they carefully brought the TV into my family room and set it on the floor. They removed the plastic handle dealies that allows most of the box to slide over the top of the TV. They put the batteries in the remote, plugged it in (I already had a surge protector set up prior to their arrival) and turned it on (as I said, I am in AZ so no worries about condensation). They hung out while I put a thumber into the USB slot and started Dnice's slides. I checked to make sure there were no bunk pixels or any obvious faults, filled out their checklist (any damage to packaging, did they put it where I wanted, did they plug it in, did they ruin my house, basic stuff), kicked the dudes a 20 and they split (they seemed genuinely surprised by this gesture so I don't think it's mandatory to tip them - at least here in Phx). The whole process took about 15-20 minutes.

They did not put it on the stand or "install" it in any way. It was left sitting in the bottom portion of the box, on the floor. My neighbor helped me lift it onto the wall mount later that day.

I guess the term "white-glove" might be a bit exaggerated as I am 99.9% sure that putting the stand on or installing a wall mount is not part of the deal, but I am not at all bummed about the delivery service when the price difference from the big local store is considered (best I could get locally was 2799 plus tax). If I needed help putting the stand on or putting it up on the wall, I'm pretty sure I could have bribed those guys into helping me "off-the record" and still came in cheaper than the blue store. For full disclosure, the TV showed up right at 8:00am and beat the UPS delivery of my monoprice wall mount - so I wasn't ready for that anyway.

post #29 of 39 Old 03-03-2013, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

Thanks for the heads up on the Paul's TV deal. An AMAZING deal, I have to say. I am in FL and was not aware of this vendor. But after I spoke to them over the phone, I have to say that they seemed surprisingly professional and helpful. Great costumer service, and nothing like what you get at Best Buy. I think I will pull the trigger, but first I was wondering if any of you guys have had any good experiences with this vendor. Again, I was impressed with what they have to offer ($2500 + free white glove shipping, plus no tax in my case... a savings of at least $700 over Best Buy)... But it doesn't hurt to ask here first, just in case. I had my share of horror stories buying online, and I have never bought such a large item online before, so your feedback is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Pauls is awesome, I bought a 55" VT on dec 31st for $1699, a couple weeks later the price dropped $100 I emailed them and gor $100 charged back.

post #30 of 39 Old 03-03-2013, 09:04 PM

Liked: 20
Got my TV from Paul's. I paid for it in store, went on Thanksgiving vacation, came home and they delivered it the next day as scheduled. Later that week I realized they had started bundling the TV with a free BRD player and some glasses. I contacted them and brought up their 30 day price protection policy and after a couple of calls (they called it miscommunication) they agreed to give me the free BRD player and glasses. Pretty easy really.

Their return policy isn't as generous as BB or Amazon so if you plan on test driving a bunch of TVs they may not be the best place to buy from. Other than that I'd have no issue recommending Paul's.

The BB guys near me hate Paul's and once told me they'd match any Paul's price - that Paul's only wants to put BB out of business. That's not really relevant but thought I'd share anyhow.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page