Purchase an Extended Warranty? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-01-2013, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm going to purchase a Panasonic VIERA TC-P50ST50 from Amazon.com.

Amazon offers a SquareTrade 4-Year TV Protection Plan for $128. This seems to have mixed reviews due to the limitations of the policy. For instance, the value of your tv is depreciated through the life of the plan should replacement be necessary. I never purchase them, but do you think it's worthwhile to buy an extended warranty with this tv?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-01-2013, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by narnia View Post

I'm going to purchase a Panasonic VIERA TC-P50ST50 from Amazon.com.

Amazon offers a SquareTrade 4-Year TV Protection Plan for $128. This seems to have mixed reviews due to the limitations of the policy. For instance, the value of your tv is depreciated through the life of the plan should replacement be necessary. I never purchase them, but do you think it's worthwhile to buy an extended warranty with this tv?

Honestly, I'm sure you've heard you this a million times, but it's a matter solely of personal preference. The ST50 is a great FP and Panasonic has one the lowest failure/repair rates in the industry, so I wouldn't be overly concerned. That being said, if anything happens to your FP in the next 4 years, or out of mfct. warranty, the only person who's going to be burned is yourself.

Go with whatever makes logical sense to you.

Awesome FP by the way. You'll be very happy with it.

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

xRite i1 Display Pro (OEM); CalMAN 5 Basic; ColorHCFR
post #3 of 9 Old 03-01-2013, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your response. As I mentioned in my post I never purchase extended warranties, but then again I don't spend $1K very often! And thanks for the feedback on the Panny. I was going back and forth between that and the Sammy UN46ES7100, and I decided to go with the plasma.
post #4 of 9 Old 03-01-2013, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I bought my tv through Amazon too. I bought the square trade warranty at the last minute. If you go to their facebook page to find out how to get discounts, I think you have to sign up for their news letters. I saved $30 that way. The reason I bought it is not only to save money on possible future repairs but also because I don't want to buy another tv for at least 2 or 3 years, I want tech to evolve a bit more.

post #5 of 9 Old 03-01-2013, 11:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I backed off buying a used plasma via Amazon marketplace after reading the stories about folks who tried to use the Squaretrade warranties they bought with them. I even called them up personally to ask about these issues, and the conversation I had with Squaretrade just solidified that I would never trust them. If buying new, I'd just trust the 1 year manufacturer's warranty, maybe try and use Amex when you buy it to get extended protection.

post #6 of 9 Old 03-02-2013, 03:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 94
I bought one on my VT50. I hope it breaks this year and is irreparable so I can pay pay the difference for the ZT60 or F8500.
I didn't get one on my last Panasonic plasma, which I sold to a friend, and it still works (it's a model from three years ago). I only had two problems with it: 1) The batteries inside the original remote exploded -- leaving dried battery juice all crusted up inside the remote by the time I discovered it. Yes, they were the original Panasonic branded/supplied batteries. 2) The Smart TV functionality just quit working. Really odd. I didn't really care, since I never used it. Pressed the Viera Cast button, and the screen would like it was attempting to launch it, but never did.
Ask yourself if the peace of mind is worth it to you.

ht Panasonic 60" ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Sony KDL-32W650A, Sony BDP-S1000ES, Marantz PM8004, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT, Sennheiser HD598
lr Panasonic 50" ST60, Sony BDP-S5100, Apple TV
pc Energy CB-5, Audioengine D1, FiiO A1
post #7 of 9 Old 03-02-2013, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 68
How does the extended warranty work?

Do you call a repair shop, get an estimate, and file a claim with the warrantor? Like with your car insurance?

Do you call them directly?

Say you have the infamous Samsung cracked screen, if the tech blames it on user Buse, will the warranty do anything for you?
post #8 of 9 Old 03-02-2013, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

A lot of satisfied customers have left feedback for Squaretrade, but there are also many unsatisfied. For instance, one reviewer said:

The amount of your coverage is equal to the price you paid for the tv. Their contract has many qualifiers such as "in most cases" and "up to the purchase price." If they don't repair it or replace with a refurbished unit (and not necessarily manufacturer refurbished), they are only required to pay you the replacement value at the time of your claim. Four years down the road the "replacement" value of your now nearly obsolete TV will be a lot less. They can also "replace the Product with a new, rebuilt or refurbished product of equal or similar features and functionality."

Also you pay for a 4 yr. contract, but the first year of your contract includes the 1 yr. warranty from Panasonic, so it's really a 3 yr. contract. Customers have also complained about the difficulty in filing a claim, saying Squaretrade is slow to respond and gives you the runaround when you are able to get in touch with them.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-02-2013, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by narnia View Post

A lot of satisfied customers have left feedback for Squaretrade, but there are also many unsatisfied.

Also notice that a great many of the folks who left the positive feedback have never actually tried to USE the warranty. They'll say they love the price and piece of mind. Among those who actually tried to file a claim, I found very few positive experiences and mostly negative ones.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page