post #2971 of 7070 Old 07-30-2013, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

A buddy of mine has a Ford Focus hatchback and the back seats fold down. We have fit all kinds of stuff in there that most people wouldnt think possible.
Exactly -and 45 - 50 mpg to boot cool.gif

Dave Hancock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2972 of 7070 Old 07-30-2013, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I've noticed an overscan line (left side of screen) on two HD channels: NBA TV (DirecTV ch. 216) and TNT (ch. 245). This is slightly distracting but I don't want to turn Overscan on to get rid of it.

Any insight on why this is happening? I absolutely love my 50S64 aside from this issue.
post #2973 of 7070 Old 07-30-2013, 10:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwidow View Post

I've noticed an overscan line (left side of screen) on two HD channels: NBA TV (DirecTV ch. 216) and TNT (ch. 245). This is slightly distracting but I don't want to turn Overscan on to get rid of it.

Any insight on why this is happening? I absolutely love my 50S64 aside from this issue.

It happens because some broadcasters still assume overscan is in effect. That's why I leave it on for broadcast TV and only broadcast TV. Even the ones that don't show visible garbage often have variable size and position borders, basically little black bars on the sides that are often asymmetric.
post #2974 of 7070 Old 07-30-2013, 10:26 PM

So, just some thoughts from tonight (this pertains to my hopeful S64 purchase, I swear!)

I had the chance to play around with my parents' TV tonight (see an old review from 2006 here), playing around with various games to see how ITS ABL functioned. Honestly, it didn't bother me at all. I calibrated the TV as best I could with my Disney WOW disc (wound up turning contrast way down...hard to see those 'barely visible' squares). I fired up some demos for a couple games - Flower, Uncharted 2, and the Unfinished Swan on PS3. The Unfinished Swan in particular was interesting - I could see how bright the screen got when there wasn't much white....and then saw the white get darker as more white was displayed. Seriously, it wasn't an issue at all for me. Actually, had the image stayed THAT bright, I may have been rubbing my eyes.

To bring this back to the S60 - if I was super fine with my parents' old TV, should I expect to be happy/blown away/disappointed with the S60/S64? I mean, this thing was from 2006...there's no way I'd think it would look better than the S60/S64, correct? My parents' TV obviously wasn't the greatest - seemingly no ability to turn Overscan off (or move the display at all), some very glaring gradation and banding on the PS3 home screen (not really annoying in gameplay). I have to wonder if my parents' TV would be closer to the S60's "Vivid" or "Cinema" mode. The Cinema mode in Sears' admittedly darker (IMO) showfloor did seem pretty dim. The actual picture though? Still looked pretty great, even at 1080i.

It's tough for me to predict if I'm going to find something with the S64 that really bothers me (big purchase for me). On the one hand, my parents' TV is pretty old. Watching hockey on it has never bothered me in the slightest, and I didn't even know what ABL was until I started researching TVs this past year. On the OTHER hand...I think they got this TV before all TVs had stricter Eco regulations. Perhaps the ABL on the S64 really is that bad?

Then again...the thing has almost a perfect rating on Amazon (the S60), so my gut tells me to just shut up, get this TV when I move out, and be happy with it smile.gif.
post #2975 of 7070 Old 07-31-2013, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawfish View Post

It happens because some broadcasters still assume overscan is in effect. That's why I leave it on for broadcast TV and only broadcast TV. Even the ones that don't show visible garbage often have variable size and position borders, basically little black bars on the sides that are often asymmetric.

What concerns me is these are HD sources broadcasting native 1080i, so one would not expect any noise on the border at all. Another weird part is that it comes and goes at times.

I'd feel a lot better if there was a way to confirm that it's the networks and not the actual TV itself that's doing it.
post #2976 of 7070 Old 07-31-2013, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
"A Plasma in Prius", Weird Al's parody of the Police's " A Canary in a Coalmine" biggrin.gif
Shepx13 likes this.
post #2977 of 7070 Old 07-31-2013, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:

What concerns me is these are HD sources broadcasting native 1080i, so one would not expect any noise on the border at all. Another weird part is that it comes and goes at times.

I'd feel a lot better if there was a way to confirm that it's the networks and not the actual TV itself that's doing it.

Simple, zoom the picture in, if they go away, then they are in the signal.
post #2978 of 7070 Old 07-31-2013, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawfish View Post

Sorry, I continue to think it goes without saying we're talking about HD channels unless we say otherwise. What you've described is completely typical for some HD channels. The problem varies from channel to channel and even program to program on the same channel. An exception for me is my local NBC affiliate (which is of course 1080i), which since 2008 has had a 14 pixel or so border at the top of all HD programming, with a bright white pixel in the upper left and several dimmer ones beside it. It was the main reason I decided to leave overscan on for broadcast TV. I never think about it anymore except when I see it in threads.
Quote:

Unless every channel is doing it, it's the broadcast. I've seen this on multiple TVs, including three Sony LCDs, not to mention my computer monitor, and different sources hooked up to different displays. Although I use cable, the NBC dots are also there OTA.
post #2979 of 7070 Old 07-31-2013, 11:12 AM

Liked: 17
How is the PQ on the S64 vs the ST50? I'm trying to decide which of the two to get. Amazon currently has the ST50 for $1501 which is even more than the same size ST60 -- but I don't want to worry about lag. So, it's between the S64 which is newer generation and larger and cheaper, but loses the 3D, or the ST50 which has 3D and I'm not sure if the PQ is better or worse than the S64.
post #2980 of 7070 Old 07-31-2013, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorsher View Post

How is the PQ on the S64 vs the ST50? I'm trying to decide which of the two to get. Amazon currently has the ST50 for $1501 which is even more than the same size ST60 -- but I don't want to worry about lag. So, it's between the S64 which is newer generation and larger and cheaper, but loses the 3D, or the ST50 which has 3D and I'm not sure if the PQ is better or worse than the S64.

The ST60 lag is way overblown. I, like many other people, play games with no problems. If you are using a receiver it just needs an adjustable delay, which most receivers have, to sync the audio.
post #2981 of 7070 Old 07-31-2013, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 36
The ST60 is pushing 75ms...that's unacceptable if you even consider yourself a gamer...Not directing this at you, but in general anything past 2 frames should be a PASS. I myself have a hard time even dealing with 2, it just doesn't feel as responsive and 'on the dime' as 0ms. the extra weight added to your character in lets say a 'zippity' platformer is noticable. The ST60 is dishing out almost 5 frames....with that said, this display shouldn't even be an option. playing something like Super mario Bros.3 would feel pretty darn heavy, what's the point? There's more to gaming than staring at a nice shiny HD picture. hell, the entire HD era is extremely overrated as it is with it's over saturation of mindless post apocalyptic & violent copy cat first person shooter-interactive movies with scripted explosions & AI, tons of goopy blood for the kiddies, the lead character usually always being a macho 'stubble' warrior, that are overall targeted towards 14 year olds. These big developers are too scared to take a gamble...Maybe if they didn't have insane budgets and huge development teams this wouldn't be an issue, which is why you'll see the most creative stuff come from indie developers. Anyways, rambling again and going off topic.

I would of loved the ST60 soley for film because of it's 2500hz, 3D(especially) and Antiglare filter, but instead i'm diving into the S60. Something always comes up, and i end up being short a couple hundred haha.tongue.gif Should be no later than late Aug for moi.
post #2982 of 7070 Old 08-01-2013, 01:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveBoy View Post

The ST60 is pushing 75ms...that's unacceptable if you even consider yourself a gamer...Not directing this at you, but in general anything past 2 frames should be a PASS. I myself have a hard time even dealing with 2, it just doesn't feel as responsive and 'on the dime' as 0ms. the extra weight added to your character in lets say a 'zippity' platformer is noticable. The ST60 is dishing out almost 5 frames....with that said, this display shouldn't even be an option. playing something like Super mario Bros.3 would feel pretty darn heavy, what's the point? There's more to gaming than staring at a nice shiny HD picture. hell, the entire HD era is extremely overrated as it is with it's over saturation of mindless post apocalyptic & violent copy cat first person shooter-interactive movies with scripted explosions & AI, tons of goopy blood for the kiddies, the lead character usually always being a macho 'stubble' warrior, that are overall targeted towards 14 year olds. These big developers are too scared to take a gamble...Maybe if they didn't have insane budgets and huge development teams this wouldn't be an issue, which is why you'll see the most creative stuff come from indie developers. Anyways, rambling again and going off topic.

I would of loved the ST60 soley for film because of it's 2500hz, 3D(especially) and Antiglare filter, but instead i'm diving into the S60. Something always comes up, and i end up being short a couple hundred haha.tongue.gif Should be no later than late Aug for moi.

What has 0 ms? NO HDTV has that. I don't think any TV has that and definitely not any HDTV.
post #2983 of 7070 Old 08-01-2013, 07:46 AM

Liked: 10
Still letting my 50s64 break in before calibrating it. This w/e would make about 4 weeks that I have had it. How are you guys able to tell when you're at about that 100hr mark. Is there an internal timer/counter that I missed in one of the menus? Or are you just averaging the number of hours per day you've had it on.
post #2984 of 7070 Old 08-01-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shon528 View Post

Still letting my 50s64 break in before calibrating it. This w/e would make about 4 weeks that I have had it. How are you guys able to tell when you're at about that 100hr mark. Is there an internal timer/counter that I missed in one of the menus? Or are you just averaging the number of hours per day you've had it on.

There is a service menu that lists the hours but it's complicated to access. Someone posted the instructions in this thread a while back.
post #2985 of 7070 Old 08-01-2013, 08:00 AM

He's saying that our old CRT TVs are 0ms (or at least, virtually 0ms). If you play something like Super Mario Bros. 3 on an HDTV and then play that same game on a TV with a couple frames of lag, it will be noticeable. Most people just get used to lag (if it's manageable....75ms DOES sound like a lot), but it's very hard for some people, especially with games you've played your whole life.

That being said, I think 34ms is fine for most gamers, as long as you're not constantly going back and forth between plasma and CRT. It would just drive you nuts.
post #2986 of 7070 Old 08-01-2013, 08:29 AM

Liked: 53
@PougeSquadronu this has already been covered in the ABL thread. ABL really isn't noticeable with most movies or television the exceptions are white commercials, connected to a PC, and to a lesser extent hockey and Anime

You've been talking about buying the TV now for over a week.Buy it and if you don't like it take it back.

Some of you guys make way too big a deal about this.
post #2987 of 7070 Old 08-01-2013, 08:45 AM

I'm just keeping an eye on things. This is a big purchase for me and I don't move out until the end of September.
post #2988 of 7070 Old 08-01-2013, 08:52 AM

Guys, I asked this in the other thread but wanted to get your thoughts too. I'm about to pick up a 50" s64 from Costco. Would a Ford Escape (smaller suv) be big enough for the box? Or maybe I'd have to take the TV out? I know I have to stand everything vertically.

Thanks in advance
post #2989 of 7070 Old 08-01-2013, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by offthetop View Post

Guys, I asked this in the other thread but wanted to get your thoughts too. I'm about to pick up a 50" s64 from Costco. Would a Ford Escape (smaller suv) be big enough for the box? Or maybe I'd have to take the TV out? I know I have to stand everything vertically.

Thanks in advance

Do your rear seats fold down? If they do you should be good to go. Even if they don't you might get away with it.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #2990 of 7070 Old 08-01-2013, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:

Thanks in advance

A 50" s60 just fit into the trunk of our 2001 civic coupe in the box, but it obviously had to be laid down. It was only a 10 minute drive to my house and no harm seemed to come of it.
post #2991 of 7070 Old 08-01-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:

Thanks in advance

Like I mentioned in the other thread, the box is 53 inches wide, 31 inches tall.
offthetop likes this.
post #2992 of 7070 Old 08-01-2013, 12:17 PM

Have had my 55S60 for about 6 weeks now. Have not experienced the buzzing or popping problems reported here, it's been great.

However, last night, a vertical line appeared on the screen and it won't go away. Looks like a very thin pencil line, top to bottom, about 9 inches from right edge. Most noticeable with solid background. The line's color varies with what's behind it (green with light background, redish with blue background). Get it with internal tuner and all external inputs.

Has anyone seen this issue before?? Is it fixable or do I need a replacement?

Service tech is coming next week. I am not a happy camper!!
post #2993 of 7070 Old 08-01-2013, 12:41 PM

Liked: 12
The tech will probably try to fix it by replacing a circuit board in the TV. If that doesn't work they'll have to give you a replacement I think.

My u50 has vertical streaks/lines on the right side of the TV (dirty screen effect) and the tech tried to fix it by replacing the A-board in the back but it didn't work... this was just yesterday... and I'm actually waiting for them to call me and tell me Panasonic has authorized a replacement. This is what I'm hoping for... and since the u50 is a 2012 model that's out of stock, it's likely I will be joining you guys with an s60 soon smile.gif

But it doesn't sound like your TV has dse.. sounds like something different. Not sure if a new circuit board will fix it or not.
post #2994 of 7070 Old 08-01-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci3 View Post

Replies to my Red Push problem.:

1)Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwidow

Simple - use Fairchild's settings, but instead of Warm2 (which is too red for my taste) use Normal.

2)Quote:
Originally Posted by xx2000xx View Post

I'll give the normal thing a shot but I think that would throw all of his other calibration settings off.

I think it would throw off the calibration settings off as well, but you might want to try Warm1 since it's less of a jump than all the way to Normal from Warm2.

3)Quote:
Originally posted by LDBetaGuy

Yes, I've noticed a bit of a red push, noticeable on skin tones, when I use the CNET settings on my 60" S60. I think I like how it looks a bit better than before I made the adjustments, but I go back and forth on that. Always remember that you'll never get the same results on your TV by entering someone else's calibration settings. It may be close, but it won't be the same. Every TV is different, even among the same exact model.

As I've gotten older I've gotten less OCD about my TV picture. As long as its relatively close to being correct, I'm happy. So the S60 in Cinema mode without any adjustments looks great to me. The CNET settings are interesting to try, however.

==================================================================================================

I have tried the normal setting, warm 1 and warm 2. And I still see lots of red in facial tones.
I'm wanting to not only reduce the red but also increase to a light brown /yellow tone to get more accurate facial tones.
I watch a lot of PBS talk shows that often have many facial closeups, and overly red facials really bug me.
Since the Panny has been so highly rated I'm wondering why there seems to be no fix for the red push I see.
This red push not only shows in facials but also distorts landscapes giving unrealistic colors to sky, water, sand, etc

I haven't figured out yet how to extract other posts so they show up with a different background color which makes it obvious that its a prior response posting.
Is there some forum guide as to how to construct these layered posts.?

Thanks to all who have, and hopefully will, reply to my quest for tweaking settings to correct Red push and give accurate facial tones.

Option 1 worked well for me with Fairchild99's settings. I also was bothered by the extreme red push on skin tones but changing the color temp to Normal looks great!
post #2995 of 7070 Old 08-01-2013, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by PogueSquadron View Post

I'm just keeping an eye on things. This is a big purchase for me and I don't move out until the end of September.

lol you and i have both been talking about getting a new HDTV for months now haha.tongue.gif If you have the cash just get it already and if you're not satisfied with it then you can just return in, it's not like you're stuck with it. The only drag is lugging it back to the store. XP I could of had my S60 last week, but i decided to splurge in some much needed furniture and a few other things. I'm still waiting for the 55" to go on sale again at BB, it's $1149, but sometimes drops to $999 here and there.

the 2.2 gamma is going to be amazing, since i'm so used to my S30's default 2.6(I think that's what it is) which is too dark to the point of detail crushing and delivering a bit of a harsh unatural picture. the S60's much deeper blacks, Richer,wider,vibrant and more saturated + accurate color gamut, superior brightness(until that pesky ABL kicks in) and 55" will be a big step up. they say 55" is the sweet spot for 1080p, plus 720p content will look better than on a 60" as well. I'll be sitting in at 10 feet away eye distance wise. At this distance, my 60" is just a little too close for my liking.

also, would it be possible for somebody to invent a device that completely rids these HDTV's of input lag? If that were the case our options would be just as good as people soley buying a set for Movies and TV. This would be amazing, along with future 2014 plasma's having ABL options such as weak, medium and strong.
post #2996 of 7070 Old 08-01-2013, 04:50 PM

Liked: 11
So my claim was elevated to be reviewed last week for a replacement however the local repairman called and came over with the A-board yesterday. It didn't work and he diagnosed it as a bad power supply which he had to order. I hope it doesn't take as long for it to arrive as the A-board took. I was really hoping Panasonic would just replace the tv. Three weeks now without my tv frown.gif
post #2997 of 7070 Old 08-01-2013, 10:09 PM
Advanced Member

Would anyone mind letting me know what the speakers on this TV are like? Are they front-firing?
post #2998 of 7070 Old 08-01-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh7289 View Post

Would anyone mind letting me know what the speakers on this TV are like? Are they front-firing?

They are on the back and are down-firing.
post #2999 of 7070 Old 08-01-2013, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Level99 View Post

They are on the back and are down-firing.

Ah, my hearing is still accurate - they sounded like they were down-firing. However, I had thought they would be backwards firing since the panel doesn't seem thick enough to fit speakers downwards. Do you know what size they are?
post #3000 of 7070 Old 08-02-2013, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTimeShifter View Post

Ah, my hearing is still accurate - they sounded like they were down-firing. However, I had thought they would be backwards firing since the panel doesn't seem thick enough to fit speakers downwards. Do you know what size they are?

Yeah I thought they would be back firing too, but saw that they are down firing when the repairman had the back of the tv off. They are sort of rectangular or oval shaped instead or round which is how they kept the thickness down. I'm not sure of the exact size but they looked small. Maybe 4 or 5 inches. I have the 42 inch version so they might be bigger in the bigger screen sizes.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65s60 65 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P60s60 , Panasonic Tc P55s60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50s60 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P42s60
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page