Official Panasonic S60 Series Discussion Thread - Page 109 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3241 of 7283 Old 08-14-2013, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mphfrom77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: northern KY
Posts: 3,792
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVenom24 View Post

Hey again guys!
I had had a few more questions i just wanted covered one more time. after spending like 3 hours reading the thread from page 1 to like 40 out of like 108. lol
This is about the Louver filter. on the s64

A few people said at the begining that they prefer the plasma without a filter because the filter ruins vertical angle veiwing and brightness and makes the picture less "crisp", they also said they feel like there in a minority on this subject. EL MATADURR do you really see a diffrence in blacksdo you find the picture overall better then plasmas with the filter.

Randy Walters you mentioned that the s64 has the exact same louver filter as the st60 are you 110% percent sure its the exact same.

and how do i know the s64 was made to benefit me. because it kinda sounds like it was just made to look better under heavy lights in costco warehouses.

http://www.rtings.com/info/what-is-a-plasma-anti-glare-filter
in that link is a okay discription of the AR Filters plasmas use

i still dont understand fully but EL MATADURR and fairchild whats your opinion cas on cnets review of the s60 Dave said the blacks were aswome and color was awsome. he seems to also think that the lack of a filter is a con. and that the s60 was really reflective basically...

so does the s64 give up black levels and overall picture detail and qaulity to fix the mirror problem the s60 has because i also have 20/20 vision and elmatadurr you seemed pretty honest when you gave your opinion on the filter

or does the s64 keep the exact same blacks and pq as the s60

Hopefully the other guys can answer some of your questions. I think question about the filter being the same as the ST60 has been answered a few times.
mphfrom77 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3242 of 7283 Old 08-14-2013, 06:32 AM
Senior Member
 
xenon9887's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVenom24 View Post

Hey again guys!
I had had a few more questions i just wanted covered one more time. after spending like 3 hours reading the thread from page 1 to like 40 out of like 108. lol
This is about the Louver filter. on the s64

A few people said at the begining that they prefer the plasma without a filter because the filter ruins vertical angle veiwing and brightness and makes the picture less "crisp", they also said they feel like there in a minority on this subject. EL MATADURR do you really see a diffrence in blacksdo you find the picture overall better then plasmas with the filter.

Randy Walters you mentioned that the s64 has the exact same louver filter as the st60 are you 110% percent sure its the exact same.

and how do i know the s64 was made to benefit me. because it kinda sounds like it was just made to look better under heavy lights in costco warehouses.

http://www.rtings.com/info/what-is-a-plasma-anti-glare-filter
in that link is a okay discription of the AR Filters plasmas use

i still dont understand fully but EL MATADURR and fairchild whats your opinion cas on cnets review of the s60 Dave said the blacks were aswome and color was awsome. he seems to also think that the lack of a filter is a con. and that the s60 was really reflective basically...

so does the s64 give up black levels and overall picture detail and qaulity to fix the mirror problem the s60 has because i also have 20/20 vision and elmatadurr you seemed pretty honest when you gave your opinion on the filter

or does the s64 keep the exact same blacks and pq as the s60

The filter is designed to lessen reflections from sources above the set, which tend to be windows, ceiling lights etc. The filter does a decent job at this, but because of this vertical viewing angles are reduced. This is really unfortunate because of the basically unlimited viewing angles of plasma tvs.

The filter also will make the image a little bit dimmer, anyone who tells you otherwise is either lying or doesn't know what they are talking about. You cannot filter and keep the same light output, it's just impossible. That said, the amount of light it blocks is very low, most likely undetectable by eye, unless the s60 and s64 are put right next to each other I guess. I remember seeing some measurement that the s64 was 1 point lower in total brightness than the s60, but I don't remember the total numbers so that doesn't really mean anything.

You need to figure out your use case when it comes to the filter. I personally have a s60 and while certainly reflective, the room I have it in is well suited to the set. The only reason I would have preferred to get a s64 is because it would have come from costco, ohh that warranty frown.gif

Anyway, thought i'd chime in, could take a while for you to get the responses from the people you wanted.
xenon9887 is offline  
post #3243 of 7283 Old 08-14-2013, 09:55 AM
Member
 
shenaniganz08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTimeShifter View Post

By Black Friday or year end, I bet the 65S64 will be under $1000. I think the inventories will jump up soon unless the S64 was really just a test run, but the S60 should remain in stock regardless.

keep dreaming buddy

these displays just came out a few months ago and they are selling like hot cakes, there's no reason/proof/precedent that they are going to cut their prices
shenaniganz08 is offline  
post #3244 of 7283 Old 08-14-2013, 10:56 AM
Newbie
 
weavshow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Could any of you guys help me understand the whole Viera Link system? I'm trying to figure out how I can get my S64 to turn on without pressing the power button on the TV remote. The "Power On Link" option SEEMS to indicate that if I turn on a capable device, the TV should automatically power on. I have a fairly new receiver (Denon 1613), so I have to think it qualifies, but the TV doesn't do anything if I turn the receiver on.

I also investigated using one of the network remote controls or wake-on-lan to turn the TV on, but neither of those seem to work either. I saw a couple mentions of the issue in this thread (someone said Panasonic has acknowledged that the fact that you can't turn the TV on over the network is a defect), but nothing lately.

Any help you guys could offer would be much appreciated smile.gif Just looking to simplify the remote situation at my place!
weavshow is offline  
post #3245 of 7283 Old 08-14-2013, 11:40 AM
Senior Member
 
ToonMasterTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

AVJ said the S64 line has reached End Of Life and no more will be produced. So whatever is left in the inventory chain is the last of them so get em while you can !

You're really putting the pressure on me to buy now. I'm still torn between the S64 and the Vizio M series.
ToonMasterTim is offline  
post #3246 of 7283 Old 08-14-2013, 01:04 PM
Member
 
shenaniganz08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Also for those worried the AR filter it only affects vertical viewing brightness if you look at the panel at an off vertical axis, this filter had no effect on direct/horizontal viewing brightness
shenaniganz08 is offline  
post #3247 of 7283 Old 08-14-2013, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
HDTimeShifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,020
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenaniganz08 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTimeShifter View Post

By Black Friday or year end, I bet the 65S64 will be under $1000. I think the inventories will jump up soon unless the S64 was really just a test run, but the S60 should remain in stock regardless.

keep dreaming buddy

these displays just came out a few months ago and they are selling like hot cakes, there's no reason/proof/precedent that they are going to cut their prices

Since its release only around 3-4 months ago, it dropped in price twice from $1500 to $1400 to $1288 plus free shipping (worth $100? - don't remember how much it cost me). At that rate of $100/month and 3 months until Black Friday, it would be $988 and free shipping! However, with end-of-life and production halt, I guess there will be no more discount until 2014 models are released. If anything, the S64 price may start increasing compared to the S60 since it is now a rare sought after limited edition.
HDTimeShifter is offline  
post #3248 of 7283 Old 08-14-2013, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
HDTimeShifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,020
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by weavshow View Post

Could any of you guys help me understand the whole Viera Link system? I'm trying to figure out how I can get my S64 to turn on without pressing the power button on the TV remote. The "Power On Link" option SEEMS to indicate that if I turn on a capable device, the TV should automatically power on. I have a fairly new receiver (Denon 1613), so I have to think it qualifies, but the TV doesn't do anything if I turn the receiver on.

I also investigated using one of the network remote controls or wake-on-lan to turn the TV on, but neither of those seem to work either. I saw a couple mentions of the issue in this thread (someone said Panasonic has acknowledged that the fact that you can't turn the TV on over the network is a defect), but nothing lately.

Any help you guys could offer would be much appreciated smile.gif Just looking to simplify the remote situation at my place!

I thought Viera Link was only for Panasonic equipment, but with the default setting on, I noticed when I pressed the TV remote off button, it turned off my Denon 1610 along with the TV. However the reverse was not true - it did not turn my Denon on along with the TV. I don't think the communications work the other way - turning the AVR on/off through Denon's remote did not turn the TV on/off (but I'm not sure as I always had to turn on my old (DVI) Sony XBR CRT before the Denon because of a bug in the Denon software handling DVI). I turned off Viera Link because it caused some other side effects (can't remember, but something like defaulting no audio output). I find myself using the TV remote often for the FULL/JUST/JUST FILL options for 4:3 and other non 16:9 content to fill the screen and not have to watch black bars.
HDTimeShifter is offline  
post #3249 of 7283 Old 08-14-2013, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
sawfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 850
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTimeShifter View Post

I thought Viera Link was only for Panasonic equipment, but with the default setting on, I noticed when I pressed the TV remote off button, it turned off my Denon 1610 along with the TV. However the reverse was not true - it did not turn my Denon on along with the TV. I don't think the communications work the other way - turning the AVR on/off through Denon's remote did not turn the TV on/off (but I'm not sure as I always had to turn on my old (DVI) Sony XBR CRT before the Denon because of a bug in the Denon software handling DVI). I turned off Viera Link because it caused some other side effects (can't remember, but something like defaulting no audio output). I find myself using the TV remote often for the FULL/JUST/JUST FILL options for 4:3 and other non 16:9 content to fill the screen and not have to watch black bars.

I think all manufacturers make up private names for HDMI-CEC. I always turn that crap off on all devices, because it has tended to not work well at all. I'd rather use my Sony RM-VL610's macro capabilities.
sawfish is offline  
post #3250 of 7283 Old 08-14-2013, 02:12 PM
Member
 
anthongy817's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ugh. So I think most retailers use Ceva Logistics to deliver TV, but man do I hate them.

Ordered the 65s65 from costco and was given a eta for 08/13, but was told it is not 100% guaranteed arrival and that 08/14 would be guaranteed arrival. They do not deliver weekends nor offered me a time slot past 3PM.

I ended up with a 4 hour time slot of delivery between 9-1PM on 08/14. Well 1PM rolled around and I called and was then told there was a delay and it will be here by 3PM, now 3PM and was just told 5PM....

I took off work for no reason at all...mad.gif
anthongy817 is offline  
post #3251 of 7283 Old 08-14-2013, 02:14 PM
Member
 
Jorsher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthongy817 View Post

Ugh. So I think most retailers use Ceva Logistics to deliver TV, but man do I hate them.

Ordered the 65s65 from costco and was given a eta for 08/13, but was told it is not 100% guaranteed arrival and that 08/14 would be guaranteed arrival. They do not deliver weekends nor offered me a time slot past 3PM.

I ended up with a 4 hour time slot of delivery between 9-1PM on 08/14. Well 1PM rolled around and I called and was then told there was a delay and it will be here by 3PM, now 3PM and was just told 5PM....

I took off work for no reason at all...mad.gif

Do they not give you a heads up?

I ordered mine through Amazon (does that count as a retailer? smile.gif) and they called me the day before to schedule the time slot, asked how much time I need. Stayed at work until they called then drove home.
Jorsher is offline  
post #3252 of 7283 Old 08-14-2013, 02:17 PM
Newbie
 
weavshow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTimeShifter View Post

I thought Viera Link was only for Panasonic equipment, but with the default setting on, I noticed when I pressed the TV remote off button, it turned off my Denon 1610 along with the TV. However the reverse was not true - it did not turn my Denon on along with the TV. I don't think the communications work the other way - turning the AVR on/off through Denon's remote did not turn the TV on/off (but I'm not sure as I always had to turn on my old (DVI) Sony XBR CRT before the Denon because of a bug in the Denon software handling DVI). I turned off Viera Link because it caused some other side effects (can't remember, but something like defaulting no audio output). I find myself using the TV remote often for the FULL/JUST/JUST FILL options for 4:3 and other non 16:9 content to fill the screen and not have to watch black bars.

Hmm. I see sort of similar behavior, except my Denon turns on if I turn my TV on, and turns off if I turn my TV off. From the S60 manual, though, it seems to indicate that turning on the receiver would turn on the TV:

Power on link
Yes
: The TV is turned on automatically and switches to the appropriate HDMI
input whenever VIERA Link compatible equipment is initially turned on and the
Play mode is selected.

Maybe the Denon isn't VIERA Link compatible, though? Hard to believe, since it's pretty new, but always possible...
weavshow is offline  
post #3253 of 7283 Old 08-14-2013, 02:21 PM
Member
 
Syradil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthongy817 View Post

Ugh. So I think most retailers use Ceva Logistics to deliver TV, but man do I hate them.

Ordered the 65s65 from costco and was given a eta for 08/13, but was told it is not 100% guaranteed arrival and that 08/14 would be guaranteed arrival. They do not deliver weekends nor offered me a time slot past 3PM.

I ended up with a 4 hour time slot of delivery between 9-1PM on 08/14. Well 1PM rolled around and I called and was then told there was a delay and it will be here by 3PM, now 3PM and was just told 5PM....

I took off work for no reason at all...mad.gif

I had to go through CEVA logistics three different times for various Amazon television exchanges. What a horrible abomination of a company. For one exchange I had to call in and reschedule and when they missed the new window I called them up; they had no record of the reschedule call ever occuring. And a delivery guy cross-threaded screws on the base of a Sharp LCD. At least Amazon did the refund anyway...
Syradil is offline  
post #3254 of 7283 Old 08-14-2013, 02:28 PM
Member
 
anthongy817's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorsher View Post

Do they not give you a heads up?

I ordered mine through Amazon (does that count as a retailer? smile.gif) and they called me the day before to schedule the time slot, asked how much time I need. Stayed at work until they called then drove home.

I have to schedule my days off from work the week before unless it is an emergency, which is why I decided to schedule my delivery a day after the tv was ready to be delivered.

It just upset me that they did not offer me a later time slot initially and then failed to meet the earlier time slot which forced me to use my vacation hours to take the day off.

Now I was told the driver will call me, yet I've already waited 30 minutes and no call. Wouldn't be surprised if they delayed it again.
anthongy817 is offline  
post #3255 of 7283 Old 08-14-2013, 02:28 PM
Newbie
 
Bleedorang3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quick question: I recently received my P65S60 (this thing is a monster!) and I had a couple of questions about the display.

1. I noticed that in dark scenes that have shadows or are dark for other reasons that I can see different "shades" of darkness that are clearly delineated. What is this effect called, and can it be mitigated with calibration?

2. I noticed something like what is going on in this picture . As if the picture had a little grainyness to it. Can this be mitigated with calibration.

I will say that I only noticed these things watching netflix content, which was 720p.
Bleedorang3 is offline  
post #3256 of 7283 Old 08-14-2013, 02:40 PM
Senior Member
 
PogueSquadron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
What settings are you using? In Cinema mode, keep your Panel Brightness (Pro Settings menu) to Mid or Low. That might be able to kill some of the dithering you're seeing, and possibly make and posterization/banding less apparent. Also make sure you have things like Noise Reduction and other superfluous options turned off.
PogueSquadron is offline  
post #3257 of 7283 Old 08-14-2013, 02:48 PM
Newbie
 
Bleedorang3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PogueSquadron View Post

What settings are you using? In Cinema mode, keep your Panel Brightness (Pro Settings menu) to Mid or Low. That might be able to kill some of the dithering you're seeing, and possibly make and posterization/banding less apparent. Also make sure you have things like Noise Reduction and other superfluous options turned off.

I will have to check when I get home. The only thing I have changed is the picture mode, and I think I have it set to home theater. I noticed Fairchild posted some calibrated settings earlier in the thread. Can I go ahead and use those even though I haven't "broken in" the panel with slides yet? And which set should I use, I see he posted 3 different sets.
Bleedorang3 is offline  
post #3258 of 7283 Old 08-14-2013, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
HDTimeShifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,020
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by weavshow View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTimeShifter View Post

I thought Viera Link was only for Panasonic equipment, but with the default setting on, I noticed when I pressed the TV remote off button, it turned off my Denon 1610 along with the TV. However the reverse was not true - it did not turn my Denon on along with the TV. I don't think the communications work the other way - turning the AVR on/off through Denon's remote did not turn the TV on/off (but I'm not sure as I always had to turn on my old (DVI) Sony XBR CRT before the Denon because of a bug in the Denon software handling DVI). I turned off Viera Link because it caused some other side effects (can't remember, but something like defaulting no audio output). I find myself using the TV remote often for the FULL/JUST/JUST FILL options for 4:3 and other non 16:9 content to fill the screen and not have to watch black bars.

Hmm. I see sort of similar behavior, except my Denon turns on if I turn my TV on, and turns off if I turn my TV off. From the S60 manual, though, it seems to indicate that turning on the receiver would turn on the TV:

Power on link
Yes
: The TV is turned on automatically and switches to the appropriate HDMI
input whenever VIERA Link compatible equipment is initially turned on and the
Play mode is selected.

Maybe the Denon isn't VIERA Link compatible, though? Hard to believe, since it's pretty new, but always possible...

One thing I've recently noticed (even with Viera Link off), is that when I turn on my BD player, my Denon will automatically change the source from DVR/cable box to DVR. I never noticed this before with my old Sony CRT and it should be independent of the TV as it only involves the AVR, cable box, and BDP... maybe had something to do with the Sony TV DVI loop disabling the HDMI auto-switching.
HDTimeShifter is offline  
post #3259 of 7283 Old 08-14-2013, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
HDTimeShifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,020
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedorang3 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PogueSquadron View Post

What settings are you using? In Cinema mode, keep your Panel Brightness (Pro Settings menu) to Mid or Low. That might be able to kill some of the dithering you're seeing, and possibly make and posterization/banding less apparent. Also make sure you have things like Noise Reduction and other superfluous options turned off.

I will have to check when I get home. The only thing I have changed is the picture mode, and I think I have it set to home theater. I noticed Fairchild posted some calibrated settings earlier in the thread. Can I go ahead and use those even though I haven't "broken in" the panel with slides yet? And which set should I use, I see he posted 3 different sets.

Switch to Cinema mode. HT mode is grainy and has posterization and maybe even darker, but Cinema mode is much better quality. I went through testing the modes of Standard to HT to Cinema when I first got mine and each mode has progressively better PQ.

I think Fairchild said Cinema has the most accurate color, but maybe Custom has more settings available?
HDTimeShifter is offline  
post #3260 of 7283 Old 08-14-2013, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
fairchild99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 892
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTimeShifter View Post

I think Fairchild said Cinema has the most accurate color, but maybe Custom has more settings available?

Wrong, both Custom and Cinema have access to all the same settings including the Pro settings. Custom might possibly get a bit brighter if you crank up the Contrast, and Custom has more pop to their colors, which isn't very accurate but if you are looking for more pop then Custom might be better. I prefer the PQ that Cinema puts out.

Sony 32" EX400 calibrated settings
Panasonic 50" S60 calibrated settings
HTPC/Sony S5100 to Sony HT-CT660 to Panasonic 55" VT60, Sony 32" EX400, Panasonic 50" S60
fairchild99 is offline  
post #3261 of 7283 Old 08-14-2013, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
WaveBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,051
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Cinema mode on my S30 looks milky, very dim, flat, the colors are desaturated and the picture had zero pop....But it appears more natural than Custom mode because of the mid range default gamma(Customs is too dark/high to the point of crushing shadow detail), and no white clipping. otherwise custom is superior, and offers a picture similar to a CRT. Cinema mode is a 'no no' when it comes to gaming, the mode itself is tailored soley towards film to give it that theatre-ish effect.
WaveBoy is offline  
post #3262 of 7283 Old 08-14-2013, 04:42 PM
Newbie
 
Bleedorang3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchild99 View Post

Wrong, both Custom and Cinema have access to all the same settings including the Pro settings. Custom might possibly get a bit brighter if you crank up the Contrast, and Custom has more pop to their colors, which isn't very accurate but if you are looking for more pop then Custom might be better. I prefer the PQ that Cinema puts out.

Quick question: Would it be wise to use custom settings before "breaking in" the panel with slides or video content?
Bleedorang3 is offline  
post #3263 of 7283 Old 08-14-2013, 05:25 PM
Member
 
fibonacci3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenaniganz08 View Post

I tried these settings, and again they are just too green/yellow for my taste (similar to fairchilds settings).

Did you give my settings a shot using warm1 instead of warm 2 ?

I retweaked the low end W/B a bit too, the most up to date settings are in my signature.

Hi S08; I did try warm 1 with your settings, ...and I still see much color over saturation and continued Red bias. My primary viewing is OTA SD broadcast and occasional SD DVD
I wonder if that enhances Red bias vs HDTV/BluRay?
Have you ever calibrated for STD TV/DVD? Do you know if anyone has on this forum?
fibonacci3 is offline  
post #3264 of 7283 Old 08-14-2013, 05:37 PM
Member
 
anthongy817's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
FML. Finally received the TV from CEVA and I just noticed the screen is cracked...mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif
anthongy817 is offline  
post #3265 of 7283 Old 08-14-2013, 07:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 12,506
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthongy817 View Post

FML. Finally received the TV from CEVA and I just noticed the screen is cracked...mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif
Wow! Sorry to hear that.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Bond 007 is online now  
post #3266 of 7283 Old 08-14-2013, 08:07 PM
Member
 
anthongy817's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Wow! Sorry to hear that.

Unfortunately Costco is completely out too. They are going to schedule a pick up for the broken TV and a refund..looks like I'm just going to pick up the same model from Sam's since they had it in store. Had to pay $45 Sam's membership just because of that. -_-
anthongy817 is offline  
post #3267 of 7283 Old 08-14-2013, 08:17 PM
Member
 
xx2000xx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci3 View Post

"Again my settings are definitely not neutral," I agree with your statement after trying your settings. However I'm looking for a more neutral setting that would give good,accurate facial tones without the Red bias.
After trying many posted settings , the best I've found so far to give pretty good facial skin tones with minimal red bias is this set which is a slightly tweaked version of Fairchild's latest (7.27.13).

Settings:
· o Cinema mode
· o contrast 85
· o brightness -2
· o color 44
· o tint 9
· o sharpness 0
· o warm 1,2
· o vivid off
· o cats off
· o videoNR off
· o mpegNR off

Pro settings
o Panel Brightness Mid
o AGC 0
o Black extension 0
o Color gamut normal

W/B detail
o high R -4
o high G 0
o High B 1
o low R 7
o Low G 0
o low B -4

Color Detail
o Red hue 2
o Red saturaion 0
o Red luminance 2
o Green hue 0
o Green saturation 0
o Green luminance -4
o Blue hue 0
o blue saturation 0
o Blue luminance 7

Gamma 2.2, 2.4

Advanced picture

HDMI content type Off
HDMI range Nonstandard
Black Level Light.

I show 2 settings for color temp. and gamma...the choice depends on OTA broadcast content/resolution.
I don't understand why it's so difficult to neutralize the red bias without severely degrading picture quality.

Thanks for that. I know you should let your eyes adjust to different settings over time and I've literally made my fingers hurt by switching modes many times on different settings. The facial tones are spot on but I just can't over the dull tone of warm2. I was used to it I guess with my 2010 Panny, I know that's the standard setting that you should use but for now I'm sick of playing around with it and did your settings, warm1, then bumped up the color to 48 to try and match the facial tones on warm2. That looks good to me as the whites are white and it has a bit more pop to the picture.
xx2000xx is offline  
post #3268 of 7283 Old 08-14-2013, 09:36 PM
Senior Member
 
El Matadurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravit8 View Post

Holy Christmas what will I do later this year when I have the money/credit to replace my busted 58" and neither model is available. I've got a PS4 and BF4 on the way and no display...first world problems.
Surely Panasonic will keep manufacturing till the 2014 models release no?
Doubtful, since stock has essentially vanished from Costco, and Sam's club is dwindling. It's very possible the 65S64's will be gone within a week at this rate. If you have to wait, just keep an eye on the S60 for deals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVenom24 View Post

A few people said at the begining that they prefer the plasma without a filter because the filter ruins vertical angle veiwing and brightness and makes the picture less "crisp", they also said they feel like there in a minority on this subject. EL MATADURR do you really see a diffrence in blacksdo you find the picture overall better then plasmas with the filter.

and how do i know the s64 was made to benefit me. because it kinda sounds like it was just made to look better under heavy lights in costco warehouses.

i still dont understand fully but EL MATADURR and fairchild whats your opinion cas on cnets review of the s60 Dave said the blacks were aswome and color was awsome. he seems to also think that the lack of a filter is a con. and that the s60 was really reflective basically...

so does the s64 give up black levels and overall picture detail and qaulity to fix the mirror problem the s60 has because i also have 20/20 vision and elmatadurr you seemed pretty honest when you gave your opinion on the filter

or does the s64 keep the exact same blacks and pq as the s60
In order:
1. There is no difference in blacks...in a dark room. With medium or higher ambient/direct light, the filter helps to keep blacks from washing out. I can typically control the lighting in my setup without a problem though.
2. It'll benefit you if you don't want to control your room's lighting, or have unavoidable lights in the room.
3. David's review is solid, and the PQ is fantastic from the brief time I had my S60. This is a no-frills TV, and will act almost like a mirror if you have any lights on in the room.
4. My only qualm with the filter is that it affects vertical viewing angles to a certain extent. It's not a deal-breaker, and nowhere near as bad as an LCD, but the change is there.
All this said? Sams has the 65S64 at the same lowest cost I can get the 65S60. Combined with the advantages of having a filter the times I *might* need it and cheap gas/groceries/tires/etc., I'll be picking up one of the last stock this Friday. Once I get it set up on a cabinet, I'll see if I'll need to actually purchase a stand or not to get the TV's height right for our viewing area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenaniganz08 View Post

keep dreaming buddy

these displays just came out a few months ago and they are selling like hot cakes, there's no reason/proof/precedent that they are going to cut their prices
They'll keep cutting them, no doubt, but I do doubt they'll get to the magical $1k. I would put an end-of-season (December, last of stock) price at around $1150, $1100 at some no-name places. This is assuming there's enough stock to last that long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonMasterTim View Post

You're really putting the pressure on me to buy now. I'm still torn between the S64 and the Vizio M series.
S64. wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthongy817 View Post

Unfortunately Costco is completely out too. They are going to schedule a pick up for the broken TV and a refund..looks like I'm just going to pick up the same model from Sam's since they had it in store. Had to pay $45 Sam's membership just because of that. -_-
Dang man, that really sucks. I couldn't imagine seeing that after all the hassle of a delivery and unboxing. If anything, you could always get a refund for your Sam's membership as soon as you get the TV. You're not obligated to keep it. Though this practice is a bit low-brow to Sam's, they're still getting your money for the TV in the end.
El Matadurr is offline  
post #3269 of 7283 Old 08-14-2013, 10:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
Josh7289's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is it only the S64 that's reached end of life or has the S60 as well?
Josh7289 is offline  
post #3270 of 7283 Old 08-14-2013, 10:44 PM
Member
 
silverwidow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh7289 View Post

Is it only the S64 that's reached end of life or has the S60 as well?

Just the S64.

It was said to be a limited run from the moment it was released.
silverwidow is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65s60 65 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P60s60 , Panasonic Tc P55s60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50s60 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P42s60
Gear in this thread - P42s60 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off