Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVenom24 View Post

Hey guys what are the best settings for ps3 on this tv right now im using

picture mode: standard
contrast;50
brightnes;0......

Why the heck are you using Standard mode?? Nobody and i mean NOBODY uses the Standard mode - it's the dimmest dullest most horriblest picture mode and is only there to get their low energy ratings. There is no reason to use Standard at home.

Try Custom mode instead.
foghorn2 and Cravit8 like this.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gallery -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3332 of 7174 Old 08-18-2013, 06:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a different make and model of plasma than what this thread is about, and I have chosen to use standard mode when watching cable news or ESPN and for daytime viewing in general, because I live in Texas and it's already too hot in my apartment. There's a huge difference in the amount of heat the set puts out in standard vs. movie mode - huge -

Any maybe this will extend the life of the set a bit, who knows?
post #3333 of 7174 Old 08-18-2013, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hello everyone, I wrote on this thread a few pages back regarding IR and wanted to give an update.

I live in northern NJ and have been getting IR from the YES network bug during Yankees games (ill admit I watched a few innings when below 75 hours). The IR I get from watching 4-5 innings goes away after watching a blu ray, but it's definitely there, even at 100+ hours.

It's not noticeable on any other screens at any other times so I know it's not burn in. I'm just over 100 hours and have kept ESPN/NFL Network to a minimum due to the blazing white tickers. Still, the bugs with hot white is annoying because it's most likely to cause the burn in I would think.

Otherwise, I've had ghosting after long watching periods (6+ hours) but nothing else. I don't think Id say this set is particularly IR resistant but not prone either.

What is everyone else's opinion? Anybody live in my area and care to comment on the bug during Yankees games?
post #3334 of 7174 Old 08-18-2013, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 42
I have just bought but still awaiting delivery from Amazon, on a P50S60. I've read much of this thread (but not every post, so take it easy if you find anything too repetitive) and I have a few questions.

This is my first plasma and I've jotted down a few tips that I've found on this excellent thread, to initially setup the TV. I've had 3 RPTV's so I'm aware of image burn in and how to mostly avoid it. I don't play games but the overly bright station bugs have been a problem for me in the past. A big "H" from the History channel burned into my recently defunct 12 y.o. Mits W65869, hence the new Panny as it's replacement.

Anyway, this is what I've written down;

1) Do the D Nice 100 hour color slides prep?
I've downloaded it to USB flash drive but it seems that he doesn't have any settings specifically for the S60. So, what's the point? Many people have said that just watching the TV has the same benefit as long as you...
(2) turn down the contrast to below 85 and brightness to 0
(3) avoid black bars and ticker info bars
(4) use only full screen material
(5 turn off power saving
(6 turn off C.A.T.S.

Anything I've missed?

I've also found Fairchild's and the cnet settings which I'll try after a 100 hours or so.

I'm very excited about this TV as I was recently at my neighbor's house who owns a nice newish SONY LED which just destroys my old RPTV for clarity and ...well, in every way, so I expect nothing less with the S60 and maybe even more from the professional reviews I've read and the owners posts on here.
post #3335 of 7174 Old 08-18-2013, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 147
Here's another calibration I did from scratch using different 4% window patterns. The CMS surprisingly had to be changed the most to get the colors lined up but so far I haven't noticed anything glaringly wrong with the calibration. Skin tones look good using the various content I tested on it. Not going to post the graphs unless enough want them and request them (PM works best). I also suggest you don't run these unless your set has a good amount of hours, as these were performed with my set at over 1400 hours.
Quote:
Currently at 1450:20 hrs count 258 on 8-14-13 10:10 am New calibration done on 8-14-13

calibration done with Colormunki Photo (spectro) with the Mascior 4% window patterns and the 75%/75% color 4% window patterns. Avg dE for grayscale of 2.98 and avg dE for colors of 0.75 with a measured gamma of 2.22 and a light output of 34.8 fTL

Picture Mode : Cinema
o Contrast : 80
o Brightness : 0
o Color : 46
o Tint : 0
o Sharpness : 0
o Color Temp : Warm2
o Vivid color : Off
o C.A.T.S. : Off
o Video NR : Off
o MPEG NR : Off

* Pro Settings
o Panel brightness : Mid
o AGC : 0
o Black extension : 0
o Color gamut : Normal

* W/B detail adjustment
o W/B high R : 0
o W/B high G : 0
o W/B high B : -2
o W/B low R : 2
o W/B low G : 0
o W/B low B : -1

* Color detail adjustment
o Red Hue : 0
o Red saturation : 12
o Red luminance : 3
o Green Hue : 6
o Green saturation : 20
o Green luminance : -1
o Blue Hue : 1
o Blue saturation : 1
o Blue luminance : 5

* Gamma detail adjustment
o Gamma : 2.4

* Advanced picture
o 1080p pixel direct : Off
o HDMI content type : Off
o HDMI/DVI RGB range : Nonstandard when using HTPC and Standard for Cable box
o Black level : Light

* Screen settings
o Screen format : Full
o Overscan : Off
o H size : Size 1
sarahd likes this.

HTPC/Sony S5100 to Sony HT-CT150 to Panasonic 55" VT60, Sony 32" EX400, Panasonic 50" S60

post #3336 of 7174 Old 08-18-2013, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by sublimerocks86 View Post

Hello everyone, I wrote on this thread a few pages back regarding IR and wanted to give an update.

I live in northern NJ and have been getting IR from the YES network bug during Yankees games (ill admit I watched a few innings when below 75 hours). The IR I get from watching 4-5 innings goes away after watching a blu ray, but it's definitely there, even at 100+ hours.

It's not noticeable on any other screens at any other times so I know it's not burn in. I'm just over 100 hours and have kept ESPN/NFL Network to a minimum due to the blazing white tickers. Still, the bugs with hot white is annoying because it's most likely to cause the burn in I would think.

Otherwise, I've had ghosting after long watching periods (6+ hours) but nothing else. I don't think Id say this set is particularly IR resistant but not prone either.

What is everyone else's opinion? Anybody live in my area and care to comment on the bug during Yankees games?

Are you utilizing the orbiter?

Any IR you've incurred has gone away completely within a few hours, then?
post #3337 of 7174 Old 08-18-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly21029 View Post

Are you utilizing the orbiter?

Any IR you've incurred has gone away completely within a few hours, then?

Curly---

I am using the orbiter, and the IR disappears completely with the method I described. The only issue is that it totally reappears during each game. It's really frustrating to watch the games KNOWING I'll have to deal with some IR. I tend to just watch them on my 27 inch iMac in my room now but it's frustrating.

It's a great picture and I love the TV, but I'm a little nervous for hockey season. I watch a ridiculous amount of hockey and don't want to deal with burn in issues that ruin the TV as it's brand new.
post #3338 of 7174 Old 08-18-2013, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

@sublime, I would notice some IR on my 2010 42" S2 from yankee ticker in the upper left hand corner. So far on my new S60 I haven't watched much baseball this season, but I've learned my lesson and I wouldn't watch a Yankee game unless my set had a good amount of hours on it so that it's pixels have matured a bit more and more evenly (from watching full screen content as much as possible and varying the content). Watching a long 3-4 hour yankee game on a set with under 100 hours is not a good idea IMO.

HTPC/Sony S5100 to Sony HT-CT150 to Panasonic 55" VT60, Sony 32" EX400, Panasonic 50" S60

post #3339 of 7174 Old 08-18-2013, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Quote:

Curly---

I am using the orbiter, and the IR disappears completely with the method I described. The only issue is that it totally reappears during each game. It's really frustrating to watch the games KNOWING I'll have to deal with some IR. I tend to just watch them on my 27 inch iMac in my room now but it's frustrating.

It's a great picture and I love the TV, but I'm a little nervous for hockey season. I watch a ridiculous amount of hockey and don't want to deal with burn in issues that ruin the TV as it's brand new.

Thank you for the prompt reply!

I agree that the S60 is an excellent performer, but IR/BI is a valid concern with modern plasmas (Panasonics in particular) and those parroting that it's a non-issue are largely plasma/Cnet zealots. This was a problem that was nearly resolved in 2008 that has seemingly fallen down the manufacturers' list of priorities. If the "professional" reviews factored IR handling into their overall rating, (which they absolutely should) then there would be a greater sense of responsibility within the industry. The end user would benefit from a more worry-free viewing experience and manufacturers would benefit from increased consumer confidence. Heck, reducing the potential for IR/BI would even make a good marketing bullet point considering that it's still a point of apprehension for the average buyer.

So, thank you Sublime for posting/updating with impressions. Conversation around this performance attribute should be more prevalent as I'm sure there are a variety of use cases contained within this thread.
post #3340 of 7174 Old 08-18-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchild99 View Post

@sublime, I would notice some IR on my 2010 42" S2 from yankee ticker in the upper left hand corner. So far on my new S60 I haven't watched much baseball this season, but I've learned my lesson and I wouldn't watch a Yankee game unless my set had a good amount of hours on it so that it's pixels have matured a bit more and more evenly (from watching full screen content as much as possible and varying the content). Watching a long 3-4 hour yankee game on a set with under 100 hours is not a good idea IMO.

Fairchild---

Well lets be blunt, the Yanks are pretty bad this season. I'm at just over 100 hours, but I think I'll watch Netflix and Amazon instant prime stuff as much as possible until hockey season. I'm huge into the Devils and Knicks. I need to be able to use this TV for those games...hoping no IR there.

If you live in this area (I assume you do) do you have experience with IR with MSG or MSG Plus?

Thanks!
post #3341 of 7174 Old 08-18-2013, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Fairchild---

Well lets be blunt, the Yanks are pretty bad this season. I'm at just over 100 hours, but I think I'll watch Netflix and Amazon instant prime stuff as much as possible until hockey season. I'm huge into the Devils and Knicks. I need to be able to use this TV for those games...hoping no IR there.

If you live in this area (I assume you do) do you have experience with IR with MSG or MSG Plus?

Thanks!

I'm also a big Knicks fan and I watch every game that I possibly can that is in my viewing schedule (don't have DVR so if it's a late game I don't watch) and never had a problem with MSG. Probably because they show alot of instant replays and vary the logos alot. The YES broadcast is a big offender as it seems to be up 80% of the game that + baseball games in general last longer than the traditional 2 hr NBA game. I haven't not been watching MLB this season because the Yanks are doing bad (not a front-runner) I just haven't had much interest this year for some reason. I did even go to a home Yankee game this season if that tells you anything and got to see Mo successfully close/save a game.

post #3342 of 7174 Old 08-18-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchild99 View Post

I'm also a big Knicks fan and I watch every game that I possibly can that is in my viewing schedule (don't have DVR so if it's a late game I don't watch) and never had a problem with MSG. Probably because they show alot of instant replays and vary the logos alot. The YES broadcast is a big offender as it seems to be up 80% of the game that + baseball games in general last longer than the traditional 2 hr NBA game. I haven't not been watching MLB this season because the Yanks are doing bad (not a front-runner) I just haven't had much interest this year for some reason. I did even go to a home Yankee game this season if that tells you anything and got to see Mo successfully close/save a game.

Fairchild---

That's really great...I haven't been there yet this season. It's great to know I don't have much to fear with MSG or MSG+. I get IR from even three/four innings of YES so it's good I don't have to worry about Knicks or Hockey.

I've been watching preseason football, the only issue I'm having is with the tickers I'm trying to avoid. Jets/Lions didn't cause anything though last weekend which was nice.

I really hope IR isn't an issue...little nervous honestly but it's a great TV for movies and the few occasions I play NHL online. I also got the Disney WOW disc just in case, so hopefully that investment will make it easier to watch sports (along with more break in time).

When do you think I can turn the settings to something a bit higher (contrast/brightness are set very low on purpose) to calibrate?

Thanks.
post #3343 of 7174 Old 08-18-2013, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Probably after 100-200 hrs you can go to 80 contrast. Really much more over 80-85 contrast isn't needed for most viewing. I don't remember when I got my set if I simply switched to Cinema and left the Contrast at 80 or lower like 50. I also of course turned off all the un-needed picture ehancing features. FYI, I don't watch Hockey, so no idea what those tickers/logos are like.

post #3344 of 7174 Old 08-18-2013, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWells55 View Post

If glare had been the only issue, I would've kept the TV. It was annoying, but not a deal-breaker. The combination of the loud buzzing on two sets, the awful line bleed, questionable feeling input lag, and the glare together, however, was too much for me. From what I've gathered, the S64 has enough of a reduction in glare to keep me happy and it's certainly the lesser of two evils compared to the higher price, weaker black levels, input lag, and overall picture quality of LCD.

The S64 seemed to be the perfect TV for me, but it looks like I may have missed my shot. Dammit, Costco.

People need to get a freaking quality surge protector with clean power filtering and be done with the buzzing complaints.
I got a $34 Philips LED bulb that buzzes more than my 58" plasma because the plasma is plugged into a Belkin PF-60 which has been fantastic.
post #3345 of 7174 Old 08-18-2013, 07:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravit8 View Post

People need to get a freaking quality surge protector with clean power filtering and be done with the buzzing complaints.
I got a $34 Philips LED bulb that buzzes more than my 58" plasma because the plasma is plugged into a Belkin PF-60 which has been fantastic.
If only it was really that simple...

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #3346 of 7174 Old 08-18-2013, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Quote:

If only it was really that simple...
With so many homes with 60hz dirty noise feedback issues, how do you know it's not?
There isn't a single poster on here that has prefaced his buzzing post with a statement they do/don't have a power manager with noise filtering tech in it. Matter a fact, I see the same guys trying SEVERAL tvs without changing any other factor. My guess that using the Belkin PF-60 is just as anecdotal as all the guys who complain of buzzing and haven't tried it.
post #3347 of 7174 Old 08-18-2013, 07:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Perhaps not the S60 but I have read posts from guys who have a buzzing tv with a power conditioner.

post #3348 of 7174 Old 08-18-2013, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:

The excessive Plasma buzzing you see so many posts about is because of a defective or damaged component, it's virtually never because of "dirty power" or any other household wiring or voltage issue. Dozens and dozens of people here who have gotten buzzing TVs had them repaired or replaced and no longer had buzzing.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

Gallery -
post #3349 of 7174 Old 08-18-2013, 08:57 PM

Liked: 11
So my 42S60 has been working great since the repair, however just a few minutes ago it automatically went to the youtube app without me pressing anything on the remote. It did this a few times before the power supply failed too. In all instances that it happened the remote was just sitting on the table. Has anyone else had this happen?
post #3350 of 7174 Old 08-18-2013, 09:13 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Level99 View Post

In all instances that it happened the remote was just sitting on the table. Has anyone else had this happen?

Ghosts, no doubt about it. Time to move.
post #3351 of 7174 Old 08-18-2013, 09:51 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicki7800 View Post

Ghosts, no doubt about it. Time to move.

Haha yeah that would be just my luck!
post #3352 of 7174 Old 08-18-2013, 11:54 PM

Hey all, thanks for the great read! I have gone through every page in this thread in anticipation of my 50S60 getting here this coming Wens. I ordered the unit from Amazon since I got free shipping and it was only $669. The fiance and I are upgrading our space with new home A/V equipment and this was just the first thing on the list.

Well anyway I have a few questions that I have been pondering about but were never answered in the thread:

1. I ordered the Disney WoW Bluray and I heard it has a function called Pixel Flipper. Instead of using the slides could I just run that for 100+ hours to stretch out this TVs legs or should I just do the slides and call it a day?

2. What would be the best way to connet this TV to this receiver (it's the one I'm thinking about getting in a few weeks)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B981F38/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=01FDXGSMF4368TTZWB7Y&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846 (Im trying to get all the bells and whistles like the dolby surround and all that...im new to home audio equipment so yeahhh..)

Thank you all for the help, I mad this account just because of this thread and I'm hoping I can learn a bunch more about home audio and video equipment. My main hobby is Performance PCs so this is a new area for me.
post #3353 of 7174 Old 08-19-2013, 01:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The Disney WOW pixel flipper works very well for removing ir but I dont think Ive heard of anyone using it to break in the tv. If you keep the contrast down and vary the content you watch then you dont really need the slides.
The 375 is a good receiver. Hook up all your components via HDMI to the 375 and then run an HDMI out to the S60. For the Viera apps I would run a digital optical cable (toslink) from the tv to the 375.

post #3354 of 7174 Old 08-19-2013, 02:34 AM

Quote:

The Disney WOW pixel flipper works very well for removing ir but I dont think Ive heard of anyone using it to break in the tv. If you keep the contrast down and vary the content you watch then you dont really need the slides.
The 375 is a good receiver. Hook up all your components via HDMI to the 375 and then run an HDMI out to the S60. For the Viera apps I would run a digital optical cable (toslink) from the tv to the 375.

Thanks! Ill probably skip the optical since I don't plan to use the apps built into the TV, I have a PS3 and a Xbox 360 and soon a Xbox One so i'll just use those for my Netflix fix. Ill just grab the slides and let it do its thing while I am not watching it. I liked that reciever because it seems very capable for a entry level one, I have two standing speakers picked out for it and will pair it with them and maybe a sub we shall see. I can not wait for my TV to get here, I'm so sick of this Dynex LCD I'm using now.
post #3355 of 7174 Old 08-19-2013, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

So my 42S60 has been working great since the repair, however just a few minutes ago it automatically went to the youtube app without me pressing anything on the remote. It did this a few times before the power supply failed too. In all instances that it happened the remote was just sitting on the table. Has anyone else had this happen?

We aint going to cover for you, we all know you were watching those booty videos on Youtube when your wife walked in.

Seriously, I have 2 S60's and neither have any of the problems you guys mention. No fairchild settings or dnice slides. Just pure enjoyment of the sets.
post #3356 of 7174 Old 08-19-2013, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:

Have you looked at your Viera network settings, and turned off those you do not wish to have running? You can even go into the network movies options, and set the youtube one to off, and see if that solves it for you.
post #3357 of 7174 Old 08-19-2013, 09:34 AM

Judging from some of the more recent posts, IR appears to be a concern with the S60? I really had my heart set on the S60, but I really don't want watching TV to become a chore. I'll be watching NFL, playing PC games, my son will play his games, we'll all be watching Netflix, etc. I don't really want to worry about IR every time I watch a football game, or feel like I have to monitor how my sons uses the TV. I mean, is it that bad, where the TV has to be babysat?

If so, I think I may have to look for a different set altogether. I mean, is there another TV out there which rivals the S60 around the $600-$700 range? Researching these TV's gets frustrating, because they all have caveats and potential flies ready to land in my ointment.
post #3358 of 7174 Old 08-19-2013, 09:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by testament0221 View Post

Judging from some of the more recent posts, IR appears to be a concern with the S60? I really had my heart set on the S60, but I really don't want watching TV to become a chore. I'll be watching NFL, playing PC games, my son will play his games, we'll all be watching Netflix, etc. I don't really want to worry about IR every time I watch a football game, or feel like I have to monitor how my sons uses the TV. I mean, is it that bad, where the TV has to be babysat?

If so, I think I may have to look for a different set altogether. I mean, is there another TV out there which rivals the S60 around the $600-$700 range? Researching these TV's gets frustrating, because they all have caveats and potential flies ready to land in my ointment.
You really shouldnt judge by the more recent posts.
That being said, if you think youre going to have a lot of trouble avoiding things that can cause IR then maybe you should look at an LCD. You will have to sacrifice some pq but it may be worth the peace of mind.

post #3359 of 7174 Old 08-19-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:

You really shouldnt judge by the more recent posts.
That being said, if you think youre going to have a lot of trouble avoiding things that can cause IR then maybe you should look at an LCD. You will have to sacrifice some pq but it may be worth the peace of mind.

Well, I don't mind having to at least aware that some actions may lead to IR...like leaving a static ticker on my screen for hours and hours at a time. But if it's bad enough that a single NFL game will leave scoreboards and logos on my screen afterward, they may become an irritation.

I want low input lag, carefree viewing, and plasma blacks. Does a set even exist?
post #3360 of 7174 Old 08-19-2013, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by testament0221 View Post

I made an impulse purchase of the 42S60 on June 16th, to place in our guest bedroom. Sears had it on sale for $400.00, and were throwing in $100.00 in reward points to be used on some future purchase, which I just did to knock that amount of of a new snowblower for the coming winter.

I have used the set a lot, after breaking it in carefully for the first 150 hours, and I have had no problems with lasting IR on the set at all. I have however been pleasantly surprised at the terrific image quality that I have been able to tweak out of this little 1080P set that I had no great expectations for when I picked it up.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65s60 65 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P60s60 , Panasonic Tc P55s60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50s60 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P42s60
Gear in this thread - P42s60 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page