Forum Jump: 

post #3511 of 7068 Old 08-24-2013, 05:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

For better or worse I think plasma is just on the way out because of consumer demand. I dont know the particulars but Im pretty certain that an overwhelming number of sets sold are LCD.

That is true. The sales numbers are grossly in favor of LCD/LED. In fact, I want to say that the last numbers I saw had plasma less than 3% of all sales. It was in the single digits, as I recall. There are several reasons why, but I believe it boils down to a few main points:

1. LED is newer, thus, more appealing. Plus, it has been well marketed.
  2. LED is capable of getting really bright and look more appealing in the stores.
  3. Plasma makers not dealing with the washed out picture under bright lights of the stores greatly hurt sales, IMO. In fact, I would say this is probably the #1 reason plasma has suffered.
  4. Plasma makers taking a while to address issues such as "screen door effect," fear of burn-in or image retention, which is still grossly overstated for general viewing.

I know these things had an impact on my buying decisions and I feel I am an informer consumer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3512 of 7068 Old 08-24-2013, 05:27 AM

So, I was watching some shows on U-verse last night and I think I am seeing some flickering or strobing, at last that is what I would call it. I saw it on an episode of Cold Case and during the new TMNT on Nick HD. Basically what is happening is that it looks like the picture, particularly the darker areas of the scene will illuminate more than it should for just a second or so. It is more prevalent when there is movement on screen. I'm not sure if it is the source, compression being more noticeable on the larger (65") screen, or a product of plasma itself. Obviously I need to test it further using some other content, particularly Blu-ray, but I wondered if I could get some expert opinions on this?

As an example, during the episode, "Baxter's Gambit," there are scenes where Raphael and Fishface are walking through an all-black tunnel. As the characters move during walking, or when Fishface in particular talks, the background seems to light up in unison to the movement. I watched the scene numerous times on the 65" S64 and my 46" Samsung LED and if it was there on the LED it was practically undetectable; I didn't see it. Is this a problem with plasma? Could it just be poor video processing on the S60/4?
post #3513 of 7068 Old 08-24-2013, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

For better or worse I think plasma is just on the way out because of consumer demand. I dont know the particulars but Im pretty certain that an overwhelming number of sets sold are LCD.

Overwhelmingly so;

http://bgr.com/2012/06/21/global-tv-sales-lcd-shipments-down/
post #3514 of 7068 Old 08-24-2013, 07:11 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonMasterTim View Post

Plasma makers not dealing with the washed out picture under bright lights of the stores greatly hurt sales, IMO. In fact, I would say this is probably the #1 reason plasma has suffered.

This one definitely impacts sales. When we were out shopping one day my wife and I were looking at TVs, and I pointed out a plasma to her. She looked at me like I was crazy for even considering it compared to the pop of the LEDs next to it (but they were in torch mode so screw them smile.gif )

Then I walked her into the controlled lighting demo room in the Magnolia section of our Best Buy and showed her the nicely-set-up 65VT60 in there. She turned into a believer, and I ALMOST got budget approval for that one smile.gif

--Greg

post #3515 of 7068 Old 08-24-2013, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregleg View Post

This one definitely impacts sales. When we were out shopping one day my wife and I were looking at TVs, and I pointed out a plasma to her. She looked at me like I was crazy for even considering it compared to the pop of the LEDs next to it (but they were in torch mode so screw them smile.gif )

Then I walked her into the controlled lighting demo room in the Magnolia section of our Best Buy and showed her the nicely-set-up 65VT60 in there. She turned into a believer, and I ALMOST got budget approval for that one smile.gif

So long story short, you still lost. biggrin.gif
gregleg and El Matadurr like this.

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
post #3516 of 7068 Old 08-24-2013, 09:28 AM

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhatyellow View Post

How does the S60 look hooked up to a PC? Does it support 4:4:4?
With 1:1 Pixel direct enabled, yes, it supports 4:4:4. A couple people here (that no longer post much) use it as a monitor in a dim-to-dark room and they love it. Only problem is dealing with the ABL when looking at all-white web pages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by testament0221 View Post

Would it be accurate to say that the S60 series is the best bang for your buck set on the market today?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4
For all around watching/gaming/basic SMART features, etc., yes. For pure PQ (input lag be damned), the ST60 could be seen as a better value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradystrib View Post

Well, I went to my local electronics shop today and was just browsing while the lady was getting her hair cut. Ended up taking home a 55'' s60. Got it for right at $740 out the door. The 50'' model was about $80 cheaper. Sadly the 65'' was a bit more. I'm excited to get this calibrated. I started the DNice slides tonight, come on Tuesday!
Nice! Try to not go into the room much except to check on dead pixels/lines and the like. You'll get antsy watching the slides too much. smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaTaGuMp View Post

So long story short, you still lost. biggrin.gif
At least he tried! Pat on the back for that. biggrin.gif
post #3517 of 7068 Old 08-24-2013, 09:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 821
All is not lost. Sometimes you gotta soften em up a little bit and think ahead.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #3518 of 7068 Old 08-24-2013, 09:34 AM

Liked: 10
Hi Everyone,

I just purchased a 50S60 yesterday and have a quick question.

This is my third Panny plasma. The other two are a 46PZ80U (2008) and a 50U50 (2012). With both of my other plasmas when you turn them off or on you hear a relay clicking sound, sort of like when you turn on a receiver. My U50 even makes this sound about 2 seconds after I turn it off.

With my 50S60 it does not make any sound when I turn it on or off. Is this normal?

Thanks. I love the set and I'm just making sure everything is good before the return period expires.
post #3519 of 7068 Old 08-24-2013, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

She may have won the battle, but will she win the war? Maybe it goes on sale for a price that he takes her down. VIVA LA VICTORY. wink.gif
gregleg and El Matadurr like this.

post #3520 of 7068 Old 08-24-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymanb View Post

With my 50S60 it does not make any sound when I turn it on or off. Is this normal?
On my ST30, S60, and S64, none exhibited sounds upon turning off. A small click when turning on, yes, but not off. Interesting you're not hearing anything either way.
post #3521 of 7068 Old 08-24-2013, 09:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 821
My ST50 makes a click when turning it On and Off. FWIW
I just noticed something. Its louder when turning it On than Off. Strange...but there it is.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #3522 of 7068 Old 08-24-2013, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

Hi Everyone,

This is my third Panny plasma. The other two are a 46PZ80U (2008) and a 50U50 (2012). With both of my other plasmas when you turn them off or on you hear a relay clicking sound, sort of like when you turn on a receiver. My U50 even makes this sound about 2 seconds after I turn it off.

Interesting question. I don't know. My 50ST50 does audibly 'click off' a few seconds after I power it down.
post #3523 of 7068 Old 08-24-2013, 12:44 PM

Liked: 66
Quote:

Hi Everyone,

Thanks. I love the set and I'm just making sure everything is good before the return period expires.

You'd seriously return a perfectly fine set because it doesn't make an audible click when you turn it off ?

I wish I had your problems dude.
El Matadurr and shenaniganz08 like this.
post #3524 of 7068 Old 08-24-2013, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

So, I was watching some shows on U-verse last night and I think I am seeing some flickering or strobing, at last that is what I would call it. I saw it on an episode of Cold Case and during the new TMNT on Nick HD. Basically what is happening is that it looks like the picture, particularly the darker areas of the scene will illuminate more than it should for just a second or so. It is more prevalent when there is movement on screen. I'm not sure if it is the source, compression being more noticeable on the larger (65") screen, or a product of plasma itself. Obviously I need to test it further using some other content, particularly Blu-ray, but I wondered if I could get some expert opinions on this?

As an example, during the episode, "Baxter's Gambit," there are scenes where Raphael and Fishface are walking through an all-black tunnel. As the characters move during walking, or when Fishface in particular talks, the background seems to light up in unison to the movement. I watched the scene numerous times on the 65" S64 and my 46" Samsung LED and if it was there on the LED it was practically undetectable; I didn't see it. Is this a problem with plasma? Could it just be poor video processing on the S60/4?

I didn't notice anything like this in the two weeks I had a 50S60, and I haven't noticed it in the four months I've had a 50ST60. That said, the source can have problems like this. For example, last year I saw it several times an episode in several episodes of Sons of Anarchy on FX and also The Americans, IIRC. This was on a Sony LCD and my PC monitor, and it was just these FX programs. Other (ahem) recordings of the programs did not exhibit the artifacts when viewed on the same equipment; I actually wrote down the times and scene descriptions so I could compare the next day. I would make sure to disable all special features you may have like CATS, AGC, Black Extension, etc. If the problem is there to any extent on your LED, it may be that it's just more noticeable on the plasma.
post #3525 of 7068 Old 08-24-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaTaGuMp View Post

She may have won the battle, but will she win the war? Maybe it goes on sale for a price that he takes her down. VIVA LA VICTORY. wink.gif

I've already claimed my victory through premeditated steps. The 65" S64 is on order, and with the price difference I've got permission to get an XBone and/or PS4 and/or a new HTPC build (hopefully all 3, but the priority is the HTPC)

It's all about knowing what you REALLY want and working with the system.

--Greg

post #3526 of 7068 Old 08-24-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexHarrison View Post

You'd seriously return a perfectly fine set because it doesn't make an audible click when you turn it off ?

In all fairness, people often come to this thread nitpicking any problems they may or may not have with their set. cool.gif
post #3527 of 7068 Old 08-24-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:

I've already claimed my victory through premeditated steps. The 65" S64 is on order, and with the price difference I've got permission to get an XBone and/or PS4 and/or a new HTPC build.

Destiny, Titanfall, BF4, they're all going to look great on the S64.
gregleg likes this.
post #3528 of 7068 Old 08-24-2013, 01:54 PM

Exactly my thinking. The S64 will be a nice improvement on my aging Sony 60A2000, and will make for a GREAT gaming monitor (being mindful of IR, of course, but I watch enough mixed content I don't expect this to be a problem)

--Greg

post #3529 of 7068 Old 08-24-2013, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've already claimed my victory through premeditated steps. The 65" S64 is on order, and with the price difference I've got permission to get an XBone and/or PS4 and/or a new HTPC build (hopefully all 3, but the priority is the HTPC)

I am going to keep an eye out for sales on most likely the TCP55ST60, I have 90 days on my Samsung UN55FH6030. Just wish Costco had a 55" of the S64. Even the S60 would be slightly less than my Samsung was, since there is no tax and free shipping. But the ST is the way to go it seems.

post #3530 of 7068 Old 08-24-2013, 02:24 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexHarrison View Post

Well Dude,

I was worried that maybe something was wrong with the power delivery on my set. Considering I have experience with two other plasmas that do make a relay click when they are turned on and off.

Of course I dont want to return the set but I also dont want to have a set that works great for a month and then dies just outside the return period.

Thanks to everybody that posted your experiences with your plasmas.

was bragging about how great the picture is on this TV to a coworker and he said he has the same one.smile.gif
So I asked him the same question. He turned his 50S60 on and off and said he didnt hear any clicks either way. So that answered my question. Now I can just enjoy my set.
post #3531 of 7068 Old 08-24-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawfish View Post

I didn't notice anything like this in the two weeks I had a 50S60, and I haven't noticed it in the four months I've had a 50ST60. That said, the source can have problems like this. For example, last year I saw it several times an episode in several episodes of Sons of Anarchy on FX and also The Americans, IIRC. This was on a Sony LCD and my PC monitor, and it was just these FX programs. Other (ahem) recordings of the programs did not exhibit the artifacts when viewed on the same equipment; I actually wrote down the times and scene descriptions so I could compare the next day. I would make sure to disable all special features you may have like CATS, AGC, Black Extension, etc. If the problem is there to any extent on your LED, it may be that it's just more noticeable on the plasma.

Thanks. I thought about that too. I may see if that episode is on DVD or even YouTube and check out those specific scenes. I already have CATS and othe features off. What are the preferred Eco settings on the S64 though? There isn't an Off option. It is Saving or something. I am not near the set right now to check.

So going from an S to an ST, what has been your experience? Noticeable PQ upgrade? Better blacks or daylight filtering? Motion?
post #3532 of 7068 Old 08-25-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Thanks. I thought about that too. I may see if that episode is on DVD or even YouTube and check out those specific scenes. I already have CATS and othe features off. What are the preferred Eco settings on the S64 though? There isn't an Off option. It is Saving or something. I am not near the set right now to check.

So going from an S to an ST, what has been your experience? Noticeable PQ upgrade? Better blacks or daylight filtering? Motion?

I'd also like to see more feedback on your concerns, as I am considering picking up one 60S60 and one 65S60. I don't really have window reflection concerns, so I was hoping the S60 series would be my choice.

post #3533 of 7068 Old 08-25-2013, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Fairchild99,

Hi,

Can I use your July 15th (latest calibration) on my brand new S60 with only 100 hours of continuous D-Nice slides on it, or are they for later as I see that they have changed from your May 31 calibration with less than the 1100 hours on the July version.

TIA.
post #3534 of 7068 Old 08-25-2013, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Murphy View Post

Fairchild99,

Hi,

Can I use your July 15th (latest calibration) on my brand new S60 with only 100 hours of continuous D-Nice slides on it, or are they for later as I see that they have changed from your May 31 calibration with less than the 1100 hours on the July version.

TIA.

You could and will not hurt anything, but the larger the panel variance as far as aging of the phosphors, the higher chance that my calibration will not be that accurate for your particular set. I would honestly suggest just using all my setting except I would leave the G/S detail and Color detail at their defaults. (all at 0)

Then I would make sure you're brightness setting is looking correct by using a Black Clipping test pattern, though that setting and the rest should all be fine regardless of hours.

Also I updated my original calibration post in my signature. I removed all previous calibrations and just added my current calibration recommended for sets with more aged panels. Also added some info and suggestion on what to use on newer sets.

Sony 32" EX400 calibrated settings

Panasonic 50" S60 calibrated settings

HTPC/Sony S5100 to Sony HT-CT150 to Panasonic 55" VT60, Sony 32" EX400, Panasonic 50" S60

post #3535 of 7068 Old 08-25-2013, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchild99 View Post

You could and will not hurt anything, but the larger the panel variance as far as aging of the phosphors, the higher chance that my calibration will not be that accurate for your particular set. I would honestly suggest just using all my setting except I would leave the G/S detail and Color detail at their defaults. (all at 0)

Then I would make sure you're brightness setting is looking correct by using a Black Clipping test pattern, though that setting and the rest should all be fine regardless of hours.

Also I updated my original calibration post in my signature. I removed all previous calibrations and just added my current calibration recommended for sets with more aged panels. Also added some info and suggestion on what to use on newer sets.

I was using the link in your sig and didn't even know there was an August one until you just now edited it. I'll do as you say and leave the Color detail and W/B detail adjustment at defaults.

Thank you for your time to respond and for your calibration work. It seems that from the 3 cals I've seen you post in a short period of time that these TV's are changing constantly. Do they ever stabilize?
post #3536 of 7068 Old 08-25-2013, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Murphy View Post

I was using the link in your sig and didn't even know there was an August one until you just now edited it. I'll do as you say and leave the Color detail and W/B detail adjustment at defaults.

Thank you for your time to respond and for your calibration work. It seems that from the 3 cals I've seen you post in a short period of time that these TV's are changing constantly. Do they ever stabilize?

From what I've read in a few posts, the 2013 line of Panasonic plasmas vary alot even from taking one reading today then re-measuring tommorrow the values will sometimes be off. What most likely you noticed was since I've used different test patterns at different sizes, this changes the calibration goals and as a result the calibration settings. I've used AVS HD709 14% window patterns, GCD 10% window patterns as well as APL patterns, and currently am using Mascior 4% window patterns. Also there are different color patterns used which vary from 100% luminance 100% saturation to 75% luminance 100% saturation and finally the ones I'm using now are 75% luminance 75% saturation.

The true test is your eyes (keeping in mind that you are already used to a more Warm tone to your picture 6500k color temperature) and check with various movies to test for things like shadow detail and color saturation and skin tones.

Sony 32" EX400 calibrated settings

Panasonic 50" S60 calibrated settings

HTPC/Sony S5100 to Sony HT-CT150 to Panasonic 55" VT60, Sony 32" EX400, Panasonic 50" S60

post #3537 of 7068 Old 08-25-2013, 03:14 PM

Would you consider this latest calibration to be reference in quality?
post #3538 of 7068 Old 08-25-2013, 03:24 PM

Liked: 99
Soooo I bought the membership to SAMs because they still had the s64 online available for 1288$...and as soon as I get my membership card I check the site again and they went out of stock!!!! Noooooooooooo...it was like a movie where someone just died.
Anyway the guy there (not sure how knowledgable he was) said to me that it only says out of stock which usually means they wi restock them because if they aren't it would have said cancelled or no longer available. So I'm hoping he is right. If not i going to grab a 60S60 on Amazon they were 999$ but Best Buy hopefully will price match. My other plan maybe to grab the VT60 but it has alot I don't need but wouldn't mind having. It's 1994 at PC Richards for the 60 inch. Was thinking bout dropping a G and throwing the rest on 24 months no interest. Why pay all now when you can chop at it and build some credit. But all the extra features are dwindling as far as market value such as 3D. Kinda like HDDVD and then blu ray took over...I don't want a TV with dead technology.
post #3539 of 7068 Old 08-25-2013, 03:35 PM

Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Matadurr View Post

Destiny, Titanfall, BF4, they're all going to look great on the S64.
Will they look just as great on the S60?
post #3540 of 7068 Old 08-25-2013, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchild99 View Post

What most likely you noticed was since I've used different test patterns at different sizes, this changes the calibration goals and as a result the calibration settings. I've used AVS HD709 14% window patterns, GCD 10% window patterns as well as APL patterns, and currently am using Mascior 4% window patterns. Also there are different color patterns used which vary from 100% luminance 100% saturation to 75% luminance 100% saturation and finally the ones I'm using now are 75% luminance 75% saturation.

This explains a lot. When I was comparing your 3 cals using cinema mode, one from July, May 31 and now August, the green color settings jumped out at me, where they changed quite a bit, i.e. saturation from May -9 to July 0 to +20 in August, all in a couple of months.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65s60 65 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P60s60 , Panasonic Tc P55s60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50s60 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P42s60
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page