post #3781 of 7135 Old 09-01-2013, 05:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRick View Post

I need some help with adding OTA reception to my s64. I skipped setting this up when I initially ran setup because my coax cable was not long enough to reach the tv. Now that I have a new cable, i'd like to set it up. According to e-help, I simply enter menu --> setup ---> antenna/cable setup Unfortunately, antenna/cable setup does not show up in my menu list for setup... It was there on the first day but I skipped out of it... did that somehow hide it from view? There is clearly an OTA signal available on the coax (displays on my old lcd). Can anyone help?
Just a shot in the dark really. Is it possible that you originally set up in the Store Demonstration mode rather than Home Use?

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3782 of 7135 Old 09-01-2013, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Just a shot in the dark really. Is it possible that you originally set up in the Store Demonstration mode rather than Home Use?

Pretty sure I set it to home use, is there a way I can check?
post #3783 of 7135 Old 09-01-2013, 05:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Pretty sure I set it to home use, is there a way I can check?
Menu > Setup > First time setup
But thats not to check. It will be as if you are doing it again. You will not lose any settings though. But you may have to set some things back the way they were. Just so you are aware..

post #3784 of 7135 Old 09-01-2013, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeLfMaDe111985 View Post

You can see my reflection for Christ sake...its 2013 people are capable of taking a photo with there iphone and uploading it on the spot

For the love of all thats holy, learn to use the multiquote function. Stop posting 5 posts in a row, you are spamming this thread.
IDRick and El Matadurr like this.
post #3785 of 7135 Old 09-01-2013, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Menu > Setup > First time setup
But thats not to check. It will be as if you are doing it again. You will not lose any settings though. But you may have to set some things back the way they were. Just so you are aware..

My setup menu does not include "first time setup" nor does it include setup antenna/cable. Do I do a factory reset?
post #3786 of 7135 Old 09-01-2013, 06:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

My setup menu does not include "first time setup" nor does it include setup antenna/cable. Do I do a factory reset?
No. I wouldnt just yet unless youre really comfortable with it. That is very strange though. Hopefully someone else will have an idea. You have a US model?

post #3787 of 7135 Old 09-01-2013, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No. I wouldnt just yet unless youre really comfortable with it. That is very strange though. Hopefully someone else will have an idea. You have a US model?

As far as I know it is. Bought it from Costco and it was shipped from Mira Loma, CA to idaho. I agree it is unusual because I did go through the same first time set up as anyone else. I had clicked on antenna setup and found my cable was not long enough so escaped out of that and set up HDMI 1. I'm tempted to call Panasonic support but it seems all they can do is read the manual and cannot help with something out of the ordinary....
post #3788 of 7135 Old 09-01-2013, 06:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

As far as I know it is. Bought it from Costco and it was shipped from Mira Loma, CA to idaho. I agree it is unusual because I did go through the same first time set up as anyone else. I had clicked on antenna setup and found my cable was not long enough so escaped out of that and set up HDMI 1. I'm tempted to call Panasonic support but it seems all they can do is read the manual and cannot help with something out of the ordinary....
Calling Pan is worth a try if you have the time.

post #3789 of 7135 Old 09-01-2013, 06:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon9887 View Post

For the love of all thats holy, learn to use the multiquote function. Stop posting 5 posts in a row, you are spamming this thread.
lol

post #3790 of 7135 Old 09-01-2013, 07:41 PM

Liked: 10
So I have a 37LG10 LCD tv (720) that I have been using for maybe 4-5 years, it has served me well, I bought it for maybe 600 at best buy. Now I want to buy a big boy tv tho, and the price of the 50s60 really cought my eye today at Best Buy (650 dollars, 24 month 0%! thats 25 dollar a month!!)
Anyway, I have never owned a plasma or a LED tv, the LG10 was my best tv and I have used it for ps3 and blue-rays up until now.

The thing I was no impressed with was the lack of light in the colors, it seemed very dim and lack luster compared to the LED ones right next to them and I have heard that there is light reflection with plasma tvs and im scared of that because this is going to be our main family tv (of course ps4 and blue-rays will also be on this).

am I going to see a BIG difference with this tv compared to my 37LG10 tv? My wife mainly watches korean dramas on hulu plus via our ps3, is the graphic going to drop and be difficult to watch in the day time?
post #3791 of 7135 Old 09-01-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromiowa View Post

So I have a 37LG10 LCD tv (720) that I have been using for maybe 4-5 years, it has served me well, I bought it for maybe 600 at best buy. Now I want to buy a big boy tv tho, and the price of the 50s60 really cought my eye today at Best Buy (650 dollars, 24 month 0%! thats 25 dollar a month!!)
Anyway, I have never owned a plasma or a LED tv, the LG10 was my best tv and I have used it for ps3 and blue-rays up until now.

The thing I was no impressed with was the lack of light in the colors, it seemed very dim and lack luster compared to the LED ones right next to them and I have heard that there is light reflection with plasma tvs and im scared of that because this is going to be our main family tv (of course ps4 and blue-rays will also be on this).

am I going to see a BIG difference with this tv compared to my 37LG10 tv? My wife mainly watches korean dramas on hulu plus via our ps3, is the graphic going to drop and be difficult to watch in the day time?

If you absolutely need a really bright screen but still want a plasma then you might want to take a look at Samsungs line of plasma's, they as far as I know are the brightest in the industry.

If you have a super bright room then daytime viewing might not be ideal, but if you can even moderately control your lighting then it should be sufficient.

If a really bright and sharp screen with colours that really "pop" then you should find yourself an LED backlight LCD, they are uncontested in that department. But if you want higher overall picture quality with inky blacks and accurate colour reproduction when calibrated (or less ideally fairchild's awesome settings) then the plasma is the way to go. Not only that but the s60/s64 lines are pretty much the best bang for the buck anywhere, you just can't beat their picture quality for the price.

Good luck.
post #3792 of 7135 Old 09-01-2013, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Calling Pan is worth a try if you have the time.

I called Concierage services at costco and they helped me resolve the issue. Pressing input-->antenna--->menu brings up antenna setup in the set up menu. However, the tv did not find any channels until I reset to original factory settings by menu--> setup---> system--->factory defaults--->yes then went through the whole first time installation steps. Thanks Bond, appreciate your good faith try. You're a keeper on the forum!!!! :-)
post #3793 of 7135 Old 09-02-2013, 02:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I called Concierage services at costco and they helped me resolve the issue. Pressing input-->antenna--->menu brings up antenna setup in the set up menu. However, the tv did not find any channels until I reset to original factory settings by menu--> setup---> system--->factory defaults--->yes then went through the whole first time installation steps. Thanks Bond, appreciate your good faith try. You're a keeper on the forum!!!! :-)
Good deal. Glad you got it figured out.

post #3794 of 7135 Old 09-02-2013, 07:38 AM

Liked: 99
Quote:

Awww sorry...but is this better? The app doesn't have all those options when used on the phone just FYI.
post #3795 of 7135 Old 09-02-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:

Awww sorry...but is this better? The app doesn't have all those options when used on the phone just FYI.

In fact it does. Just keep clicking the little quote icon under the posts you want, and then hit the quote and reply bar at the bottom of the page.
post #3796 of 7135 Old 09-02-2013, 10:48 AM

Wait I can multi quote...I know I can quote one person..so basically hit that quote it goes to the bottom then hit another one it will double quote it right? Then submit and both quotes will be there? Like this
Quote:

In fact it does. Just keep clicking the little quote icon under the posts you want, and then hit the quote and reply bar at the bottom of the page.

Quote:

post #3797 of 7135 Old 09-02-2013, 10:48 AM

Oh nice
post #3798 of 7135 Old 09-02-2013, 03:28 PM

The 65" S64 is no longer available on Costco's website, at least for now, so if you want one, you will need to check a brick and mortar.
post #3799 of 7135 Old 09-02-2013, 03:54 PM

Hey guys, I just bought one these from best buy and I have to say ... im disappointing! As mentioned before, i had a 5/6 year old 37LG10, (720) LCD tv, so you can imagine I was thinking that it was going to be a HUGE difference once i bought this ... well there isnt! Honestly, the price is good, but my friend that just recently bought a 60 in samsung smart tv, 240 hz, was just laughing at me when I turned it on and I got kinda depress. the quality is a little better from my shity 6 year old tv ... I dont know if i am doing something wrong, but i have been to his house and seen blue-rays on his tv, it smokes this tv. I tried a blue-ray (the host) and it was just sad compared to his ... I seriously had very high hopes for this tv ... maybe i need calibration, but i dont know what that is anyways ... probably going to take this back and buy a LED ... so frustrated!
post #3800 of 7135 Old 09-02-2013, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey guys, I just bought one these from best buy and I have to say ... im disappointing! As mentioned before, i had a 5/6 year old 37LG10, (720) LCD tv, so you can imagine I was thinking that it was going to be a HUGE difference once i bought this ... well there isnt! Honestly, the price is good, but my friend that just recently bought a 60 in samsung smart tv, 240 hz, was just laughing at me when I turned it on and I got kinda depress. the quality is a little better from my shity 6 year old tv ... I dont know if i am doing something wrong, but i have been to his house and seen blue-rays on his tv, it smokes this tv. I tried a blue-ray (the host) and it was just sad compared to his ... I seriously had very high hopes for this tv ... maybe i need calibration, but i dont know what that is anyways ... probably going to take this back and buy a LED ... so frustrated!

My 50s64 was not impressive at the start but it is fantastic now after running slides for 100 hrs and using fairchild's settings for the s64. What settings did you use? The Panny should blow your LG away with deep inky blacks, even at start up....
post #3801 of 7135 Old 09-02-2013, 04:28 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Matadurr View Post

Ah, dang it's only the DVDs. The pixel flipper will still help, but it won't give you 1:1 "flipping" on your copy. Get a cheapo blu-ray player, buddy! Unless you are trying to wait for the PS4/XBOne.

Ah, I didn't think of that, but I am waiting for the XB1 so I can just pick up the bluray later.
post #3802 of 7135 Old 09-02-2013, 04:49 PM

Liked: 66
Quote:

Did you get it delivered without seeing it first ? Did you look at the display models at Best Buy? The S60 clearly has the dimmest picture on the wall. Especially next to LED. I don't get how this happens ? If you like bright pictures, you clearly made the wrong choice.
post #3803 of 7135 Old 09-02-2013, 05:00 PM

Liked: 53
Quote:

+10 Hes clogged up about 4 different threads in the last 2 weeks. Theres no discussion left. Its more like beating a dead horse.

We've all told him the pros and cons for weeks and he is still "undecided".

The p65S64 is no longer available online, hopefully this will teach him a life lesson about being indecisive.

Next time read up, shut up, man up and make a decision.
IDRick and acpilot like this.
post #3804 of 7135 Old 09-02-2013, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:

Ok guys I'm back...I found the 65" s64 is way to big for the house plus my daddio doesn't want anything downstairs..his house his rules sooo my brother just took the 32 inch 8 year old LCD I had to school which still worked great its a Sammy so I was surprised it lasted this long.

So in order to save myself some money and from my dad killing me..I have narrowed down to the 50"S64 from Costco or the 50ST50 from Amazon. Obviously the S64 is a little less but the ST50 gives a little more.

does anyone know about Warrantech warranties coverage cuz that's who amazon has paired with the st50.

Also do you guys feel that 60 inch TVs have better quality control than a 50inch? Just curious cuz alot if complaints seem to hit the 50 inch models and not so much with a 60"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenaniganz08 View Post

We've all told him the pros and cons for weeks and he is still "undecided".

The p65S64 is no longer available online, hopefully this will teach him a life lesson about being indecisive.

Next time read up, shut up, man up and make a decision.

Show some understanding and patience with him. After all one cannot be too careful when trying to decide which TV set to purchase to replace the eight years old 32inch LCD set that his Dad took away from him and gave to his brother. It is not easy to find a new TV set that can match the quality of that very old 32 inch LCD set. He might have to wait for the 2014 models to show up in the stores.
Cravit8, acpilot and shenaniganz08 like this.
post #3805 of 7135 Old 09-02-2013, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexHarrison View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

On the other hand, no manufacturer has come forward with the promise of a 4K plasma.

4k plasma will not happen. Why would it ? Panasonic has said they're thinking of getting out of the plasma market, which would leave Samsung as the sole manufacturer. Believe me Samsung is much more interested in OLED technology and the much cheaper to produce LCD/LED because that's what the vast majority of consumers are interested in. People have been waiting for OLED for a long time now. That's where it's at. Once OLED becomes affordable, there will be no reason to keep plasma around.

OLED still suffers from viewing angle according to a video Consumer Reports review of OLED 4K sets. Viewing angle is why I pretty much immediately eliminated LCD/LED right off the bat when researching/shopping for a large flat screen to replace my 34" Sony XBR800 CRT. Since a majority of my viewing is at an angle, OLED won't work for me. While LCD/LED viewing angle dimness is nowhere near as bad as old-school rear-projection sets, it's still an issue. I'll wait for a 100"+ 4K plasma before I replace my 65S64.
post #3806 of 7135 Old 09-02-2013, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

Show some understanding and patience with him. After all one cannot be too careful when trying to decide which TV set to purchase to replace the eight years old 32inch LCD set that his Dad took away from him and gave to his brother. It is not easy to find a new TV set that can match the quality of that very old 32 inch LCD set. He might have to wait for the 2014 models to show up in the stores.

dying here. biggrin.gif
post #3807 of 7135 Old 09-02-2013, 07:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You guys are mean. His posts were annoying but they werent malicious. And Im not saying yours are either but theres no sense in picking on him.
El Matadurr likes this.

post #3808 of 7135 Old 09-02-2013, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTimeShifter View Post

OLED still suffers from viewing angle according to a video Consumer Reports review of OLED 4K sets. Viewing angle is why I pretty much immediately eliminated LCD/LED right off the bat when researching/shopping for a large flat screen to replace my 34" Sony XBR800 CRT. Since a majority of my viewing is at an angle, OLED won't work for me. While LCD/LED viewing angle dimness is nowhere near as bad as old-school rear-projection sets, it's still an issue. I'll wait for a 100"+ 4K plasma before I replace my 65S64.

So you are basing on what a video consumer report wrote. Wouldn't you be curious to see it yourself. An articulating wall mount would solve your angle issue. There won't be any 100" 4K plasmas.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #3809 of 7135 Old 09-02-2013, 09:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTimeShifter View Post

OLED still suffers from viewing angle according to a video Consumer Reports review of OLED 4K sets.
I think you've picked up some misinformation. First of all, but least important, there is no such thing as a 4K OLED in the market for Consumer Reports to test. Second, the two 1080p models that are in the market from Samsung and LG are curved. There is no technical reason for them to be curved, but it does get them more attention. I'm sure Consumer Reports was referring to the curved screen as causing viewing angle problems.

When OLED gets to an actual market status you can be sure that they will not be curved, and will have the same viewing angle as the plasma displays. The reason for that is that OLED and plasma technologies emit there own light. LCD technology needs an LED light source. When you shine light through the LCD layer of the panel, you can't see as much of the light from the sides of the set. The majority of the light is pointed straight out of the set. When people say that LCD/LED set are the brightest, they actually mean that if you are in front of the set, LCD/LED is the brightest.

Almost 100% of the light emitted by each pixel from plasma and OLED technology can be seen at sharp angles from the viewer center line.
Quote:
Viewing angle is why I pretty much immediately eliminated LCD/LED right off the bat when researching/shopping for a large flat screen to replace my 34" Sony XBR800 CRT. Since a majority of my viewing is at an angle, OLED won't work for me. While LCD/LED viewing angle dimness is nowhere near as bad as old-school rear-projection sets, it's still an issue. I'll wait for a 100"+ 4K plasma before I replace my 65S64.
When OLED is affordable and durable, you will have no viewing angle problems if you buy the flat screen version.

Enjoy. smile.gif
post #3810 of 7135 Old 09-03-2013, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

That's exactly what return policies are for. As long as you purchase with the intent to keep the television, there is nothing wrong with returning it if it doesn't end up meeting your needs or has some flaws you can't or won't live with.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65s60 65 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P60s60 , Panasonic Tc P55s60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50s60 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P42s60
Gear in this thread - P42s60 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page