Forum Jump: 

post #3871 of 7199 Old 09-05-2013, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonMasterTim View Post

Nice! What picture mode or settings are you using? Are you using D-Nice's or Fairchild's? I still favor D-Nice's even though I guess they're for the ST60 and not the S60/4. Other than a slight softness, the picture looks great, with good skin tones and overall detail.
I'm using Fairchild's settings, although I left the pro and color settings alone as he suggested. After I have more hours on my set I'll plug those in and see how it looks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3872 of 7199 Old 09-05-2013, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Yeah, like I said before, if you have a budget of around $600, I don't know if you'll be able to find a better TV, at least in the 50" realm. Any TV you get in this price range is going to have issues (heck, I'm sure any high end set will have its own issues as well), and for me personally, the S64 has the kind of "issues", if you want to call them that, I can live with.

A buddy of mine has a 3D LG LCD/LED TV that was pretty expensive (I think he got it in a price mistake on Amazon which Best Buy matched), and honestly I thought it looked awful. The viewing angle wasn't all that great, and it had a pretty nasty Screen Door Effect IMO. It looked pretty blurry, and the local dimming looked horrendous (big columns of light on the screen when you were looking at credits scroll or something like that). I'd take my $600 S64 over that any day of the week.
post #3873 of 7199 Old 09-05-2013, 02:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by t00sl0w View Post

anyone else experiencing a strange loss of the HDMI handshake if you are on an HDMI input and then acidentally press channel up or something?
i have my sat, roku 3, and BR player all running through a yamaha vx373 before being ran into the TV via the reciever's HDMI out. when i had this same setup before on my old samsung i could accidentally change channels while on the HDMI input and nothing would happen...but now, if this happens on my panny s60 the HDMI handshake is lost and i get the HDCP unauthorized until i reconnect all my HDMI plugs.
Change channels on what? Surely not the sat box?

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #3874 of 7199 Old 09-05-2013, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyqureshi View Post

sigh, I can't find D-Nice's settings for S60/S64 anywhere on the x60 thread ... anyone got them?

That's because D-Nice hasn't posted any settings for the S60/S64. He's only provided settings for the ST60 series.

He usually doesn't bother doing the entry level models and this year is no different.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #3875 of 7199 Old 09-05-2013, 05:41 PM

Liked: 99
Ins
Quote:

I have Pioneer PRO-101FD, the skin tones look more natural than compared to my 65S64 (using fairchild's pre-september settings), and yes there are gradient issues with S64 but you only notice them in certain areas or scenes.
But Pioneer is a lot brighter, and has excellent anti-reflective and black layers...I will be moving 65S64 to my basement as a home theater screen and keep Kuro as day to day viewing.
I have a Pioneer 5020 and used to own a 111FD as well (very very audible buzz to much to tolerate up to 10')..so this set has alot to live up to but also this TV cost as much total as just the tax from my Pioneer (obviously exaggerating). I personally believe nothing will beat a KURO not just talking picture but the entire way it was put together it truly was masterpiece of work BUT that's the past and this is what we have now. They may not beat or match them but they can compete in alot of areas more now than ever before.

Anyway I don't expect the S64 to be a KURO killer or replacement but I do expect great performance and for the price and the reviews it seems right on the money.
post #3876 of 7199 Old 09-05-2013, 06:18 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Change channels on what? Surely not the sat box?

the TV...say my wife accidentally hits channel up on the remote and it moves the TV off of HDMI 1 to, say channel 4...when this happens all HDMI handshakes break.
post #3877 of 7199 Old 09-05-2013, 06:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

the TV...say my wife accidentally hits channel up on the remote and it moves the TV off of HDMI 1 to, say channel 4...when this happens all HDMI handshakes break.
Which remote? You have a sat box and a tv. Are you using ARC and CEC (HDMI Control)?
goldenbear94 likes this.

post #3878 of 7199 Old 09-05-2013, 07:16 PM

Well, after some extensive research and reading through some of this thread, I bit the bullet on a P50S60 over the weekend via Amazon. It arrived today and we're absolutely blown away. I'm using settings suggested here and the picture is superb. I love the fact that its barebones, with more focus on screen quality than features.

Thanks you to all those who've posted such excellent information here for us newer buyers, it's incredibly helpful!
post #3879 of 7199 Old 09-05-2013, 08:21 PM

So nothing special just a little set up before I change my room around.
I have to say this is quite a display...and especially for the money. You would think this TV was 1500$. Nice so far. A little bit if buzzing but I have to get a surge protector asap. Overall I've had this on for 5 mins and I love it. Not quite as impressive as my KURO but were talking 3-4000$ (got it on crazy sale at BB for 1800$) compared to 600$. Technology has come quite some way. Kinda makes me want the 65" lol.

A little phosphor lag but I juiced it up. Anyway looks great. Colors seem very accurate and I barely did anything. Blacks look very very impressive. Motion is what it is...but my motion from my KURO wasn't awesome from the get go either. Let the pixels and phosphors warm up a lil more and things I'm sure will improve. Can't wait for some PS3 and Xbox on this baby and........FOOOTTTBBBAALLL

THANKS everyone for all if your help. This has been great.
El Matadurr likes this.
post #3880 of 7199 Old 09-05-2013, 08:24 PM

One of my fave movies. Forgetting Sarah Marshall and I figured one more shot of Mila Kunis couldn't hurt.

Just a side not the red push on my KURO is worse do to inaccurate yellow gamuts and lack of PQ controls so color doesnt seem to be a issue. But even on the KURO it's barely noticeable but starting off it was worse. So good news so far.
post #3881 of 7199 Old 09-05-2013, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Looks good Selfmade, enjoy your set.
goldenbear94 likes this.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboard, V. Processor -Darbee

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2236715
post #3882 of 7199 Old 09-05-2013, 09:26 PM

Well bad news is that it buzzes a little more than I expected BUT...my volume wasn't where it would usually be for regular viewing. Was in quite volume mode cuz everyone was sleeping...was also less than 8ft from set

Is anyone else experiencing a louder buzz sound when volume is down? Or did I get a lemon?
post #3883 of 7199 Old 09-05-2013, 10:39 PM

Liked: 53
Yes there is a bit of buzzing when there is bright content, but this is only if the room is silent or you are right next to TV

It took you months to decide to buy the set and now you are complaining/worrying about things that you can't even detect (gradiation) and minor things that were already discussed (like buzzing), and in both cases you've mentioned "Deal breaker" or "lemon" like you are planning to return the set already

Can't you just enjoy the television ?
greenland and goldenbear94 like this.
post #3884 of 7199 Old 09-05-2013, 11:32 PM

New member here. Just bought a 50 inch s64 today, but noticed a problem when breaking in the TV. In a green background, the screen shows a rectangle bar, as showed in the pic, you need to look closely to see it. In fact the screen shows 2 rectangle bars, they are symmetric, one in middle left, and one in middle right. The pic shows the one on middle right. Is it normal or I got a lemon?
post #3885 of 7199 Old 09-05-2013, 11:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchild99 View Post

Colors are spot on and can be called reference, grayscale not so much. If you look at the delta error's the 10-30 are not optimal (ideally you want under 3 and the lower the better). That is partly because of the spectrometer used cannot read reliably under 8-10 cd/m2. I plan to do a touch-up when I get some time and use my i1 display 2 profiled off the spectro, so that I can get a better idea of what is going on in the grayscale at 30 and under IRE.

Also want to do a touch-up because I recently upgraded to the latest firmware and want to make sure everything is doing well and see if the supposed firmware fix which was "Stability of the System" actually benefits the calibration controls.

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-P50S60?t=downloads&support#tabs

That is the link to it, latest version is 2.208 and supports the S60 and S64 line.

I just realized there is a firmware update as I came here to give my thoughts of your latest settings plugged into my 65S64. So I have not downloaded the firmware update yet.

When I went from your previous settings to your current settings about 2 weeks ago, on my 65S64, I immediately noticed a darker picture. I also noticed that the colors seemed to be better, and in a sense the picture does seem nicer at times, but I have real trouble with the darker picture pretty much all the time.

But I can't stop thinking that I liked it better the old way. Guess I should have wrote down the old settings before I changed them, because the picture overall seems darker or greyer than when using your previous settings.

Guess I will eventually have to dive deeper into this myself, since I have noticed such a large difference and, frankly, am a little disappointed compared to being happy with the previous settings. For me the picture is just too dark now. I feel this way now after plugging in your newest settings, but did not at all feel this way in the past with your previous settings.

Any thoughts, other than every display will be different?

I'm guessing I have at least over 800 hours on my set, but I can look it up if there is a way to do that.
post #3886 of 7199 Old 09-06-2013, 03:45 AM

Quote:

Which remote? You have a sat box and a tv. Are you using ARC and CEC (HDMI Control)?

the TV's remote, i dont have the universal setting setup on the sat remote.
i am using whatever basic CEC funtionality the TV automatically sets up with the HDMI...for instance, since everything runs through my reciever and then into my TV, i use the TV remote to control the surround volume, etc.
i dont use the ARC functionalilty, i have my receiver setup to not forward sound to the TV.
post #3887 of 7199 Old 09-06-2013, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braveblade View Post

New member here. Just bought a 50 inch s64 today, but noticed a problem when breaking in the TV. In a green background, the screen shows a rectangle bar, as showed in the pic, you need to look closely to see it. In fact the screen shows 2 rectangle bars, they are symmetric, one in middle left, and one in middle right. The pic shows the one on middle right. Is it normal or I got a lemon?
I ran slides exclusively for the first 100 hours and noticed something similar on the right side of the display. Been enjoying a mix of regular content + slides since Tuesday night and am up to ~150 hours. It seems less noticeable, but definitely still there if I look really hard for it. I've read this entire thread and don't believe I recall reading of this symptom earlier.

I just received my 65S64 one week ago, and it has a manufacture date of August 2013 (I suspect yours is the same); not sure if there was a bad run of panels. I think this is something I could live with, but if other, more experienced, members chime in and urge caution I might reconsider. Bummer - aside from this small issue and the popping annoyances this is an amazing display for the money. As a first time plasma user, I'm sold.
post #3888 of 7199 Old 09-06-2013, 04:43 AM

Quote:

the TV's remote, i dont have the universal setting setup on the sat remote.
i am using whatever basic CEC funtionality the TV automatically sets up with the HDMI...for instance, since everything runs through my reciever and then into my TV, i use the TV remote to control the surround volume, etc.
i dont use the ARC functionalilty, i have my receiver setup to not forward sound to the TV.
I attempted to duplicate your issue with my rx-v673 and had no problems - everything switched through the receiver. When hitting the channel up/down button on the TV remote the input on the TV switches to Antenna, but changing the input back to HDMI 1 is not a problem.
post #3889 of 7199 Old 09-06-2013, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenbear94 View Post

I attempted to duplicate your issue with my rx-v673 and had no problems - everything switched through the receiver. When hitting the channel up/down button on the TV remote the input on the TV switches to Antenna, but changing the input back to HDMI 1 is not a problem.

hhmm, ok, well when i get home from work i am going to go through the reciever settings in detail and see if there is something that maybe disables inputs if CEC is in use and then goes away from it.
post #3890 of 7199 Old 09-06-2013, 05:01 AM

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphfrom77 View Post

I'm guessing I have at least over 800 hours on my set, but I can look it up if there is a way to do that.

How to do an Hour Check via Service menu

Press and hold the {VOL -} button ON THE PLASMA TV.
Then press the {INFO} button on the remote control 3 times.

"Start Adjustment Menu" message will be displayed followed
by the Service Menu after few seconds.

You will see the following:

ADJUST {Picture Adjustment}
WB-ADJUST {White Balance Adjustment}
OPTION {Option Setting}
V-SUS {V-SUS Adjustment}
AGING
SRV-TOOL {Service Tool}

{1} & {2} buttons move through options

Press the {2} button once to select "SRV-TOOL".

Then press the {OK} button to access it.

Using the cursor keys, highlight the right side
of the last item "PTCT :00.00.00.00.00" :

Then press and hold the {MUTE} button for 3 seconds.

Time and Count will be displayed in red color:

__TIME = Hours : Minutes of operation.
COUNT = Times the Plasma was powered on.

To exit, unplug the power cable.
El Matadurr likes this.
post #3891 of 7199 Old 09-06-2013, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 63
My local Sam's Club may be done with the S Series plasmas. I had mentioned last week that they had a huge sale on all TVs and the 65S64 was just over $1100. Well, the floor model was on sale, sitting on a cart near the returns, for just over $1000! To me, this is a sign that my Sam's Club is not going to restock this TV. Glad I got mine. They had three when I bought mine three weeks ago today. They sell only one other plasma, a 43" Samsung, and they still have those in stock.
post #3892 of 7199 Old 09-06-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenbear94 View Post

I ran slides exclusively for the first 100 hours and noticed something similar on the right side of the display. Been enjoying a mix of regular content + slides since Tuesday night and am up to ~150 hours. It seems less noticeable, but definitely still there if I look really hard for it. I've read this entire thread and don't believe I recall reading of this symptom earlier.

I just received my 65S64 one week ago, and it has a manufacture date of August 2013 (I suspect yours is the same); not sure if there was a bad run of panels. I think this is something I could live with, but if other, more experienced, members chime in and urge caution I might reconsider. Bummer - aside from this small issue and the popping annoyances this is an amazing display for the money. As a first time plasma user, I'm sold.

mine is manufactured in june 2013. so it may be a common problem. maybe it is too minor to let everyone notice? can other s64 user run a pure green background and to see if there is any rectangle bar?
post #3893 of 7199 Old 09-06-2013, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenaniganz08 View Post

Yes there is a bit of buzzing when there is bright content, but this is only if the room is silent or you are right next to TV

It took you months to decide to buy the set and now you are complaining/worrying about things that you can't even detect (gradiation) and minor things that were already discussed (like buzzing), and in both cases you've mentioned "Deal breaker" or "lemon" like you are planning to return the set already

Can't you just enjoy the television ?

I know plasmas buzz but I have only owners Pioneer so I'm used to there buzz...I have never owned a Panasonic and have seen plenty of people exchange sets for buzzing. But reality is they all buzz and I'm not really worrying about it. I'm not returning the set I was just wondering. Yes I have read all the buzz talk and just like everything some people's are worse. So I was just curious...plus my room is a little smaller than most with a 50" but in taking all this into consideration and that's why the set is not going anywhere.

I haven't bought a TV in 5 years...and I've enjoyed what I've seen so far with this set. But I will definitely be putting all of Fairchilds settings in when its time too.

Anyway..back to enjoying the set.
post #3894 of 7199 Old 09-06-2013, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

mine is manufactured in june 2013. so it may be a common problem. maybe it is too minor to let everyone notice? can other s64 user run a pure green background and to see if there is any rectangle bar?

I don't have any pics but I noticed a vertical hazy "line" about 2-3 inches wide on the left side of my screen when I started running the slides. I was a little concerned but knew I had plenty of time to replace the set if I ended up noticing anything in normal content. Never did see anything in normal content (still haven't) and after 100 hours of running the slides it appears to be gone (I checked the green slide the other day). I'd recommend running the slides, then some normal content, and see if it disappears, my guess is, it will.
post #3895 of 7199 Old 09-06-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRick View Post

I called Concierage services at costco and they helped me resolve the issue. Pressing input-->antenna--->menu brings up antenna setup in the set up menu. However, the tv did not find any channels until I reset to original factory settings by menu--> setup---> system--->factory defaults--->yes then went through the whole first time installation steps. Thanks Bond, appreciate your good faith try. You're a keeper on the forum!!!! :-)

Never mind I found it
post #3896 of 7199 Old 09-06-2013, 08:50 AM

U
Quote:

Go into the setup menu and look for something like "First time setup". Cant be more specific. I have a 2012 Pan.

I found the answer from one of the pages. I thought it would be that simple as well. But it's not there is no first time setup option. You have to do factory default. Under set up
post #3897 of 7199 Old 09-06-2013, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

I had similar problem on the right side, a vertical hazy bar which bothered me while the slides were running, but hardly noticeable during regular viewing.
post #3898 of 7199 Old 09-06-2013, 11:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I had similar problem on the right side, a vertical hazy bar which bothered me while the slides were running, but hardly noticeable during regular viewing.
That has been reported by many people. I would almost call it normal.

post #3899 of 7199 Old 09-06-2013, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:

I have a slight line in about the middle of my screen. It is invisible in every situation except large similar colour scenes that fill most of the screen and pan around. For example in the game Journey on PS3, the desert in that game makes it visible. Annoying, but i've learned to live with it.
post #3900 of 7199 Old 09-06-2013, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
I have never connected my pc to a tv before. My video card has two HDMI outputs so I assume I simply set the monitor output to 60 HZ and resolution to 1920 x 1080 then connect to one of the HDMI inputs on s64, correct? Any special settings required on the tv?

I need three HDMI ports but only have two on the s64. I was thinking I could put the dvr on HDMI1 and put the BR player + pc on a switch connected to HDMI2. Is this a good way to go or is there a better way?

Thanks!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65s60 65 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P60s60 , Panasonic Tc P55s60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50s60 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P42s60
Gear in this thread - P42s60 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page