Forum Jump: 

post #4051 of 7070 Old 09-14-2013, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Finally, so I'm not the only one.

I may have found the fix to make it persistently keep wifi settings. Will post back later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod9707 View Post

I have an st30 and it would do this quite a bit but now it has Ben pretty good but my s64 makes the Netflix button useless since I have to go in network settings. I wish there was a fix for this as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4052 of 7070 Old 09-14-2013, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenaniganz08 View Post

Hello AVS. I will be doing a direct heads up comparison between the 60" st60 and the 65 s64 this weekend. I know a lot of people are curious how these TV's stack up against each since they are in a similar size/price range...

What are your testing methods going to be?

Are you going to use an HDMI splitter to feed the same signal/content/sources to both TVs simultaneously so you can visually compare them side by side?

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #4053 of 7070 Old 09-14-2013, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchild99 View Post

Edit: Note my current calibrations are for a very mature P50S60 which has over 1400 hrs on it at time of calibration. I suggest not using the Pro-W/B detail adjustment and Color detail adjustment settings and leave them at defaults (0 value) if you have a newer set with fewer hours or you have any issues. It's up to you though if you want to try those settings and use them from the beginning as they will eventually taper off once your set has more hours on it.

Edit: Added my newest calibration at the top, using different patterns, using my colorimeter profiled off my spectrometer using different patterns and new HCFR fork client.

Picture settings using HDMI 1 for Cable HDTV (Optimum iO), and HDMI 2 for HTPC (AMD/ATI HD7870 with Pixel Format set to RGB 4:4:4 Full RGB + MadVR/Lav Filters).
Calibration done with X-rite i1 Display2 colorimeter which was profiled for accuracy off my Colormunki Photo (spectrometer). Used the GCD 10% window patternsand the 100%/100% color 10% window patterns. MadVR used at 0-255, RGB full pixel 0-255 with AMD 7870, nonstandard in HDMI 2
Achieved an average dE for grayscale of 1.06, gamma 2.23, average dE for colors 0.85, average dE for color checker of 1.16 dE, and a max light output of 32 fTL.

Currently at 1450:20 hrs count 258 on 8-14-13 10:10 am
Picture settings using HDMI for Cable HDTV (Optimum iO), and HTPC (AMD/ATI HD7870 with Pixel Format set to RGB 4:4:4 Full RGB + MadVR/Lav Filters).
Calibration done with Colormunki Photo (spectro) with the Mascior 4% window patterns and the 75%/75% color 4% window patterns. Avg dE for grayscale of 2.98 and avg dE for colors of 0.75 with a measured gamma of 2.22 and a max light output of 34.8 fTL

fairchild please post the best picture settings in custom mode for the panasonic 50s60 because there are no advanced settings in cinema mode for the asian models....
post #4054 of 7070 Old 09-14-2013, 08:47 AM

Liked: 26
Sometimes I have to reset my internet settings, but what I found yesterday was that if I waited a couple minutes after starting up the TV, it would work again.

The Netflix connection just won't kick in right away, on here at least. I also notice that the TV doesn't pick up the USB/SD card for a second, so maybe the TV just needs to fully boot before all that stuff works properly.

Speaking of starting up, I've been very happy with how quickly this TV turns on in general. I have found on LCDs and an older plasma that it always takes a couple seconds to turn on, but here, it seems almost instantaneous.
Cravit8 and El Matadurr like this.
post #4055 of 7070 Old 09-14-2013, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by zouresh View Post

fairchild please post the best picture settings in custom mode for the panasonic 50s60 because there are no advanced settings in cinema mode for the asian models....

Custom is never as good as Cinema since the colors can never get as accurate as with Cinema. This is the last calibration I have saved for custom, but don't remember at how many hours it was.

I added it to my original post, but here you go:
Quote:
Picture Settings (currently using HDMI for Cable HDTV (Optimum iO), and HTPC. The viewing environment is in a dark room and a viewing distance of 6-10 feet (although these settings also work for daytime viewing for me). Mascior's 4% APL window patterns with 100% color 4% APL window patterns using i1D2 colorimeter profiled against my Colormunki Photo spectrometer. (38 ftl measured at 100 IRE avg gs de of 2.8 (7.1 at 20 IRE and 5.7 at 30 IRE). avg color de of 0.94 with gamma of 2.37)

o Picture Mode : Custom
o Contrast : 85
o Brightness : 0
o Color : 46
o Tint : 0
o Sharpness : 0
o Color Temp : Warm2
o Vivid color : Off
o C.A.T.S. : Off
o Video NR : Off
o MPEG NR : Off

* Pro Settings
o Panel brightness : Mid
o AGC : 0
o Black extension : 0
o Color gamut : Normal

* W/B detail adjustment
o W/B high R : 2
o W/B high G : 0
o W/B high B : 0
o W/B low R : 0
o W/B low G : 0
o W/B low B : -1

* Color detail adjustment
o Red Hue : -5
o Red saturation : 0
o Red luminance : 0

o Green Hue : -1
o Green saturation : -12
o Green luminance : -1

o Blue Hue : 0
o Blue saturation : 2
o Blue luminance : 1

* Gamma detail adjustment
o Gamma : 2.4

* Advanced picture
o 1080p pixel direct : Off
o HDMI content type : Off
o HDMI/DVI RGB range : Nonstandard when using HTPC and Standard for Cable box
o Black level : Light

* Screen settings
o Screen format : Full
o Overscan : Off
o H size : Size 1

Sony 32" EX400 calibrated settings

Panasonic 50" S60 calibrated settings

HTPC/Sony S5100 to Sony HT-CT150 to Panasonic 55" VT60, Sony 32" EX400, Panasonic 50" S60

post #4056 of 7070 Old 09-14-2013, 09:10 AM

fairchild is there any way to activate advanced settings in cinema mode through the service menu.......
post #4057 of 7070 Old 09-14-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:

Custom is never as good as Cinema since the colors can never get as accurate as with Cinema. This is the last calibration I have saved for custom, but don't remember at how many hours it was.

I added it to my original post, but here you go:

fairchild is there any way to activate advanced settings in cinema mode through the service menu.......
post #4058 of 7070 Old 09-14-2013, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 147
I have no idea honestly. The only reason to go into the SM is to check the hours or if you are an actual Panasonic rep and need to make some adjustments. On my 2010 panny plasma I also went in to actually make the grayscale adjustments, but now that there is a Pro section with same adjustments its so much better.

Sony 32" EX400 calibrated settings

Panasonic 50" S60 calibrated settings

HTPC/Sony S5100 to Sony HT-CT150 to Panasonic 55" VT60, Sony 32" EX400, Panasonic 50" S60

post #4059 of 7070 Old 09-14-2013, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

FIXED: Wifi loses settings / Netflix button doesn't work

Blimey! That was the ticket, just wait 1 minute before pressing the Netflix button and it works every time.

That should be in the manual. How is anyone supposed to know to wait and that the TV's system isn't ON when the TV turns ON? Eesh.

Man that makes me so happy to know I don't have to call Panasonic. cool.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by PogueSquadron View Post

Sometimes I have to reset my internet settings, but what I found yesterday was that if I waited a couple minutes after starting up the TV, it would work again.

The Netflix connection just won't kick in right away, on here at least. I also notice that the TV doesn't pick up the USB/SD card for a second, so maybe the TV just needs to fully boot before all that stuff works properly.

Speaking of starting up, I've been very happy with how quickly this TV turns on in general. I have found on LCDs and an older plasma that it always takes a couple seconds to turn on, but here, it seems almost instantaneous.
post #4060 of 7070 Old 09-15-2013, 12:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveBoy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTimeShifter View Post

I know nothing about color gradients, but the colors on my S64 blows away my old 2003 Sony 34XBR800 widescreen 1080i CRT which it replaced. It is way more colorful, bright, and realistic. People talk about "pop", and I would say it "pops" in comparison. The XBR800 was one step below the XBR960, which I heard was the gold standard and last and best of the CRTs. The main difference between the XBR800 and XBR960 was the resolution - I think they added something like 30-40% more lines in the 960. Other than occasional motion blur with football, in my experience there is nothing negative going from a CRT to plasma.

You're probably talking about how rich, vibrant and wide the color gamut can get on the S60, which i'm sure via HDMI beats out any CRT, and that includes brightness until that pesky ABL kicks in. tongue.gif
I'm still extremely sensitive to blur, and it's one of the very reasons why i always fall back on my awesome Sony trinitron wega crt. My S30's motion handeling i guess was good, but like i mentioned previously i hate the fact that i'm not getting a stable or consistent picture when things are moving beyond a snails pace. 1080HD aint present when things are getting a little fast and what you're left with to me looks like resolution that's dipping well below 480 from time to time, but it's a god send compared to every single LED and LCD i've watched movies on, what an absolute joke they both are. on my 480i(Using component cables for the best PQ) CRT i AM getting a stable/consistent picture always, and there aren't any crazy brightness drops either.The best plasma i've ever come across as far as motion is concerned was my LG 42" 2011 plasma. now THAT plasma had some real impressive motion, when i swirled the camera around in a videogame there wasn't any noticeable blur, just a bit of dithering. I hear the samsung 8500 has the best motion of any plasma this year, and it's abl is less agressive. i would of opted for the 51" but it's pushing well past 40ms of lag for gaming and i can't have that. and i'm also thinking about canceling my order for the 55" S60 and getting the 50" instead. At around 10 feet and 9-10 inches away a 55" to me would seem just a little too close, maybe even for 720p content such as the Wii U.
Either way i'll finally have my S60 this tuesday. It's going to be quite the upgrade over my lousy 60" S30.

I was also quite surprised about the brightness and color richness in Cinema mode versus Standard or HT modes as people had commented that they were dark or duller in comparison. HT mode was dim compared to Standard mode until I changed the black level from dark to light. Since I kept that setting when I progressed from HT to Cinema mode, I assume the same effect would have happened if I had transitioned directly from Standard to Cinema mode without trying out HT mode in the interim. My Wega CRT was connected via DVI to HDMI cable to my AVR, and I assume DVI is equivalent to an HDMI connection (just no digital audio with DVI). I haven't noticed ABL effects with CATS and Power Savings off - maybe only when it switches to a mostly solid whitish screen like some commercials or the F1 pre-commercial screen, but not with typical content. I only noticed motion blur with one DVR'ed Broncos game, but watch closely for it when I watch this afternoon's Broncos game live for the first time. I wonder if limited color gradient is the cause of posterization? If so, I guess that would be a motive for upgrading to the ST, but not for a whopping extra $1000. My couch is 11 feet away and the 65S64 is not too close - I think the calculations for 11 feet away is from 70-85" screen depending on which webpage calculator you use.
post #4061 of 7070 Old 09-15-2013, 12:49 AM

Quote:

I have no idea honestly. The only reason to go into the SM is to check the hours or if you are an actual Panasonic rep and need to make some adjustments. On my 2010 panny plasma I also went in to actually make the grayscale adjustments, but now that there is a Pro section with same adjustments its so much better.

fairchild i like your custom settings very much though i should say that colors are not very convincing on the custom mode.....so could you post the best settings for cinema mode without the advanced settings like white balance,gamma and color management because those settings are not available for cinema mode for the asian models....i want the best possible picture out of the basic settings
in cinema mode.....
post #4062 of 7070 Old 09-15-2013, 07:27 AM

Fairchild has said numerous times if you are uncomfortable changing the Pro settings for any reason, just leave them at their default settings.
post #4063 of 7070 Old 09-15-2013, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I'll finally have my 55" S60 in two more days, oddly enough i'm not that excited. XP I mean i am, but i'm so glued to my CRT for my DVD, NES, SNES, Wii, Atari2600 and VHS needs, that the Plasma will only be used for Bluray and possibly Wii U(unless the input lag, ABL and motion blur get the best of me). Anyways, i was wondering....Do these 1080p sets handle 720p based material(Wii U & XBOX 360 titles) properly when being upscaled to 1080p? What i'm saying is, would a 720p game look better on a native 720p set(Or even a fixed LCD res display at 1366x768) Vs a modern day 1080p set? The less scaling, the better i'm guessing? Hopefully i'm wrong!tongue.gif i want 720p to look as good as it's supposed to without looking blown up or soft.
post #4064 of 7070 Old 09-15-2013, 01:41 PM

Liked: 66
Quote:

I'll finally have my 55" S60 in two more days, oddly enough i'm not that excited. XP I mean i am, but i'm so glued to my CRT for my DVD, NES, SNES, Wii, Atari2600 and VHS needs, that the Plasma will only be used for Bluray and possibly Wii U(unless the input lag, ABL and motion blur get the best of me). Anyways, i was wondering....Do these 1080p sets handle 720p based material(Wii U & XBOX 360 titles) properly when being upscaled to 1080p? What i'm saying is, would a 720p game look better on a native 720p set(Or even a fixed LCD res display at 1366x768) Vs a modern day 1080p set? The less scaling, the better i'm guessing? Hopefully i'm wrong!tongue.gif i want 720p to look as good as it's supposed to without looking blown up or soft.

VHS needs ? I understand the old consoles but VHS ? Also what Wii U games would suffer from a 32ms input lag time ? Does it even have first person twitch shooters ?
post #4065 of 7070 Old 09-15-2013, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexHarrison View Post

VHS needs ? I understand the old consoles but VHS ? Also what Wii U games would suffer from a 32ms input lag time ? Does it even have first person twitch shooters ?

I don't play first person shooters.lol it's probably one of my most despised genre's. :P the difference between 0ms and 34ms is noticeable regardless of the genre. Then again, it's painfully obvious with sidescrollers/platformers or anything dealing with motion based controls....my S30 does 32ms via hdmi and i have a hard time getting used to the 'less on the dime' heavier unintuive feeling. Also,VHS is fantastic for old school horror movies(which i'm a huge fan of), i love the gritty, distorted muddy 240i look, especially for films like the original A nightmare on elm street, exorcist ect along with old school fantasy films like The Labyrinth(Which doesn't look right on bluray....), masters of the universe ect ect. Aside from the nostalgia, i love to collect VHS tapes and the lower end quality makes them feel like they were from the time period they were released in, rather than the crystal clear 1080 bluray versions we have today which completely modernizes them, set pieces begin to look like set pieces and those little flaws(be it strings, makeup ect) are completely exposed... they weren't ment to be viewed in HD. For the most part, i only watch Bluray for newer releases. When it comes to oldschool horror flicks i only do DVD and at times VHS.

For kicks, i was watching Ernest goes to Jail on bluray last night and the 1080HD did absolutely nothing for me, it didn't make the experience any more immerserive, enjoyable or exciting to watch. I'd rather opt for 480i(using component cables) on my CRT with it's blur free motion and stability in picture quality which imo makes for a better experience, regardless of the drop in screen size. But if we were to talk 'stop motion animation' or pixar films, there's no way in hell i'd ever watch them on a tube tv after experiencing them in 1080HD on the big screen.wink.gif Coraline, Nightmare Before christmas and Frankenweenie are a sight to behold in full 1080pHD.biggrin.gif
El Matadurr likes this.
post #4066 of 7070 Old 09-15-2013, 02:53 PM

Liked: 21
My brother (AVS member Googer) calibrated my 65S64 today. My TV was at 108 hours as of the calibration -- we'll recheck it at about 200, 500, and 1000, but I'm no longer running slides so it'll be a while before getting to those smile.gif

I'll let him explain the equipment used and his methodology, but here are the settings. The image is FANTASTIC. The first thing I happened to tune to when he was done was an HD show of black and white newsreel footage, and the grayscale was just amazing. I also watched an episode of American Horror Story (very dark, showing off the black levels nicely compared to the 60A2000 SXRD rear projection it's replacing) and some football, and played a little 360 and Wii. All images are a vast improvement over what was one of the better TVs when I bought it (circa 2006)

o Picture Mode : Custom
o Contrast : 80
o Brightness : 0
o Color : 46
o Tint : 0
o Sharpness : 50
o Color Temp : Warm2
o Vivid color : Off
o C.A.T.S. : Off
o Video NR : Off
o MPEG NR : Off

* Pro Settings
o Panel brightness : Mid
o AGC : 0
o Black extension : 0
o Color gamut : Normal

* W/B detail adjustment
o W/B high R : 0
o W/B high G : -11
o W/B high B : -10
o W/B low R : 0
o W/B low G : -9
o W/B low B : -10

* Color detail adjustment
o Red Hue : -1
o Red saturation : -23
o Red luminance : 9

o Green Hue : 7
o Green saturation : -13
o Green luminance : 9

o Blue Hue : 1
o Blue saturation : -12
o Blue luminance : 9

* Gamma detail adjustment
o Gamma : 2.4

* Advanced picture
o 1080p pixel direct : Off
o HDMI content type : Off
o HDMI/DVI RGB range : Standard
o Black level : Light

* Screen settings
o Screen format : Full
o Overscan : Off
o H size : Size 1

(Edit: I've double-checked while reading off the TV screen, these are indeed the settings I'm using)

Panels and preferences may vary, etc., but these settings look great on my setup.

--Greg

post #4067 of 7070 Old 09-16-2013, 01:07 PM

Liked: 21
gregleg - Thanks for these settings; I'll give them a shot. My only concern is seeing Sharpness at 50. That seems extremely high but I guess I'll judge for myself.
post #4068 of 7070 Old 09-16-2013, 01:31 PM

post #4069 of 7070 Old 09-16-2013, 03:04 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I was also quite surprised about the brightness and color richness in Cinema mode versus Standard or HT modes as people had commented that they were dark or duller in comparison. HT mode was dim compared to Standard mode until I changed the black level from dark to light. Since I kept that setting when I progressed from HT to Cinema mode, I assume the same effect would have happened if I had transitioned directly from Standard to Cinema mode without trying out HT mode in the interim. My Wega CRT was connected via DVI to HDMI cable to my AVR, and I assume DVI is equivalent to an HDMI connection (just no digital audio with DVI). I haven't noticed ABL effects with CATS and Power Savings off - maybe only when it switches to a mostly solid whitish screen like some commercials or the F1 pre-commercial screen, but not with typical content. I only noticed motion blur with one DVR'ed Broncos game, but watch closely for it when I watch this afternoon's Broncos game live for the first time. I wonder if limited color gradient is the cause of posterization? If so, I guess that would be a motive for upgrading to the ST, but not for a whopping extra $1000. My couch is 11 feet away and the 65S64 is not too close - I think the calculations for 11 feet away is from 70-85" screen depending on which webpage calculator you use.

Maybe the problem a bit was the game was on CBS which is 1080i? Watch ESPN or Fox which is 720p which is miles ahead when it comes to fast moving sports.

I should also add that I've had the bias light for a week now and I'll never go back. The eye strain helps wonders in a dark room and if I shut the light off I can't watch more than 5 minutes without it bugging the hell out of me. I'll post pics of my setup probably this weekend.
post #4070 of 7070 Old 09-16-2013, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by xx2000xx View Post

Quote:

Maybe the problem a bit was the game was on CBS which is 1080i? Watch ESPN or Fox which is 720p which is miles ahead when it comes to fast moving sports.

I should also add that I've had the bias light for a week now and I'll never go back. The eye strain helps wonders in a dark room and if I shut the light off I can't watch more than 5 minutes without it bugging the hell out of me. I'll post pics of my setup probably this weekend.

Yes it was CBS again yesterday and I noticed some motion blur again, but couldn't see it on my little 27" CRT in the bedroom. I wonder why I never noticed it on my 34" 1080i CRT? Do you suppose the size was too small to notice it? Next game is next Monday night on ESPN (and ABC, I assume), so I'll have to see if 720p is any better.

What's light bias? Back-lighting?
post #4071 of 7070 Old 09-16-2013, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwidow View Post

gregleg - Thanks for these settings; I'll give them a shot. My only concern is seeing Sharpness at 50. That seems extremely high but I guess I'll judge for myself.
Admittedly when calibrating his set, I did not do anything to calibrate sharpness - I was only calibrating the grayscale and color. It's definitely possible that sharpness at 50 is introducing artifacts (ringing, etc.), but FWIW in the limited amount of use after calibration was finished, I didn't see any obvious over-sharpening in the picture. If you find it too high, by all means turn it down as that's obviously completely independent of the grayscale and CMS settings. smile.gif
post #4072 of 7070 Old 09-16-2013, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

the ultimate test to see how much blur your Plasma has, is to fire up a first person shooter/adventure/whatever videogame that's running in 60 frames per second....Don't mess with a 30fps title since you'll get that nasty frame doubling effect. All you do is swirl the in game camera around in circles, and you'll see for yourself if there's any blurring or not.....Oh who am i kidding, there will be.lol As everybody knows, CRT's are completely blur free, they are perfection when it comes to motion with every single little trinket of detail remaining in tact no matter how fast you're going in a video game. Yet on my S30, the blur was evident when doing this method of testing. even worse on my Panny 2012 X3, but suprisngly FANTATIC on my LG PT350! But back to the S30 which should be simular to the S60's motion perormance... Even Rayman in Rayman Origins blurred as he swung back and fourth from rope to rope, while on my CRT the detail remained perfectly in tact. On my plasma, this bothered me as i wasn't getting a stable picture. it's like a split personality dipping from FULL HD to 'below' SD, 480i on my crt looks a lot more impressive when things are getting very fast.

knowing that i wasn't getting a stable picture. going from 1080p when the screen is static or when things are moving slowly, to dropping below 480 when things get pretty fast is a little painful, almost gives me a headache. However, in terms of motion performance plasma is GOD compared to the other LCD's i've owned. the hint of motion blur(depending on the set) + Dithering and ABL are the only real 2 gripes i have with plasma technology, but motion varies on different sets....Man, I just have an extremely hard time dealing with making a sacrifice in motion.... the blur is such a huge downgrade for me as well as input lag. Maybe i'm just destined to CRT it up until Super OLED paves the way.lol

Anyhoo, my 55" S60 will be here tomorrow afternoon, looking forward to finally playing my Wii U & watching Frankenweenie and what have you in full 1080p on the big screen.cool.gif
post #4073 of 7070 Old 09-16-2013, 08:04 PM

Liked: 66
Quote:

I don't play first person shooters.lol it's probably one of my most despised genre's. :P the difference between 0ms and 34ms is noticeable regardless of the genre. Then again, it's painfully obvious with sidescrollers/platformers or anything dealing with motion based controls....my S30 does 32ms via hdmi and i have a hard time getting used to the 'less on the dime' heavier unintuive feeling. Also,VHS is fantastic for old school horror movies(which i'm a huge fan of), i love the gritty, distorted muddy 240i look, especially for films like the original A nightmare on elm street, exorcist ect along with old school fantasy films like The Labyrinth(Which doesn't look right on bluray....), masters of the universe ect ect. Aside from the nostalgia, i love to collect VHS tapes and the lower end quality makes them feel like they were from the time period they were released in, rather than the crystal clear 1080 bluray versions we have today which completely modernizes them, set pieces begin to look like set pieces and those little flaws(be it strings, makeup ect) are completely exposed... they weren't ment to be viewed in HD. For the most part, i only watch Bluray for newer releases. When it comes to oldschool horror flicks i only do DVD and at times VHS.

For kicks, i was watching Ernest goes to Jail on bluray last night and the 1080HD did absolutely nothing for me, it didn't make the experience any more immerserive, enjoyable or exciting to watch. I'd rather opt for 480i(using component cables) on my CRT with it's blur free motion and stability in picture quality which imo makes for a better experience, regardless of the drop in screen size. But if we were to talk 'stop motion animation' or pixar films, there's no way in hell i'd ever watch them on a tube tv after experiencing them in 1080HD on the big screen.wink.gif Coraline, Nightmare Before christmas and Frankenweenie are a sight to behold in full 1080pHD.biggrin.gif

I'd argue that no movie was meant to be viewed in 240i formatted to fit your 4X3 screen. %100 of Directors would agree.

Are you joking about the Ernest Goes to Jail BluRay ? All BluRay's are not created equal. All Earnest movies are bottom of the barrel BluRay titles (more accurately they're the ooze that comes out of the bottom of the barrel). Comedies in general aren't known for using high quality cameras, especially those from the 80's and early 90's. You can't judge BluRay from poor transfers.

I watched Lawrence of Arabia on BluRay last night and it was amazing. You couldn't pay me to watch it on a CRT though, especially not on VHS. I like seeing things as close to what the director an cinematographer intended.
ToonMasterTim likes this.
post #4074 of 7070 Old 09-16-2013, 08:40 PM

We recently watched Lion King Diamond Edition Blu-Ray. Incredible. You can see the pencil lines in the animation, and the texture in the painted backgrounds. Every time I watch this Blu-Ray it's like watching the movie for the first time.
ToonMasterTim and El Matadurr like this.
post #4075 of 7070 Old 09-16-2013, 10:42 PM

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

What are your testing methods going to be?

Are you going to use an HDMI splitter to feed the same signal/content/sources to both TVs simultaneously so you can visually compare them side by side?

sorry for the delay

I ran the tests using my Computer as the source. My video cards allow for 2x HDMI output (screen mirroring). The audio was fed directly out of the computer to my receiver.
post #4076 of 7070 Old 09-17-2013, 05:29 AM

Apologies if this was already covered or perhaps I am in the wrong thread.

I recently purchased a Panasonic STS60... my Digital Optical Audio Port is broken ( the plastic is area around the perimeter of the port is broken, and a cable wont stay in)

Panasonic will send a licensed technician out, however Im curious what the effort is to fix this? Will they need to take the whole panel apart? Do I need a new board? Seems like it could be a lot of work for such a small piece.

Is the part available here http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Panasonic-Parts/Television-Parts/Model-TCP60S60/0789/0333500?blt=05

Any informations is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
post #4077 of 7070 Old 09-17-2013, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by realctremblay View Post

Thanks

PM sent.
post #4078 of 7070 Old 09-17-2013, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by realctremblay View Post

I recently purchased a Panasonic STS60... my Digital Optical Audio Port is broken ( the plastic is area around the perimeter of the port is broken, and a cable wont stay in)

Panasonic will send a licensed technician out, however Im curious what the effort is to fix this? Will they need to take the whole panel apart? Do I need a new board? Seems like it could be a lot of work for such a small piece.

Is the part available here http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Panasonic-Parts/Television-Parts/Model-TCP60S60/0789/0333500?blt=05

Any informations is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Those things can be so annoying. I had to send back a Dish VIP722 for another issue, the unit they sent back would hold the cable in no matter what I did. So I had them send me another. I have never had an issue with it staying in on my NAD T754 receiver though, it even takes a little bit of work to make it stay in on my current DVR, but as long as its not being moved it does stay in.

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
post #4079 of 7070 Old 09-17-2013, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'll say this regarding IR on the s60. I watched the NJ Devils v NY Rangers pre season last night on a contrast level of 70 and I don't think I saw any IR from the scoreboard. This is a positive development as hockey season is when I watch the vast majority of my sports. If anyone is from the NY area and watches MSG networks for hockey, I figured I'd throw that out there.

That being said, lets see what happens when it's a nightly thing. Still, I had IR from 3 innings of a Yankees game on YES and still get slight IR from NFL network ticker.

I really couldn't be happier with this television, despite it not being as bright as an LCD, when I throw on a Blu-Ray...all is forgiven. I usually use Avatar to show off the television itself.

What do other folks use?
post #4080 of 7070 Old 09-17-2013, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 187
is the 42" S60 discontinued? I don't see it selling anywhere online or local and it might be off Panasonic.com too
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65s60 65 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P60s60 , Panasonic Tc P55s60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50s60 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P42s60
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page