post #4231 of 7199 Old 09-26-2013, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by DtroitPunk View Post

Sorry, they ARE for HDMI "The manual says the ferrite cores provided are for HDMI (2) and USB Keyboard (1) they say that these can help reduce electromagnetic and radio frequency interference. They may not make any difference to YOU but your neighbors might thank you for using them."

I had to look information up on them yesterday to learn this.

I honestly guessed the manual would say the same as my 2010 Samsung plasma manual, weird.
All my Monoprice HDMI cables have ferrite cores at both ends, I think it's for the benefit of the cable, the wiring inside HDMI is so very thin.

PSN: Cravit8
XBL: oOo_Crav_oOo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4232 of 7199 Old 09-27-2013, 02:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hey guy just wondering how long can image retention last befor its burt any answer would be much appreciated
post #4233 of 7199 Old 09-27-2013, 05:57 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTimeShifter View Post

Ha anybody played with their sound settings (Surround, AI sound, and volume leveler) with their sound played through an AVR? I bought a Denon AVR a few years ago mainly for the Audessey equalization to prevent commercials from blasting my hearing, but it lowers all sound so much that I have to keep the volume cranked up pretty high. This TV's AI sound feature seems like it would level the sound for me instead of using the AVR to do that, however, I suspect this is only when using the optical out instead of it equalizing sound passed through HDMI from a cable box. I suspect the same with the Surround sound and Volume Leveler features. Being an audiophile purist, I also don't think I'd want simulated surround sound instead of native stereo sound so probably wouldn't turn on the surround sound feature.

When the set is sending audio through the ARC, it completely disabled all sound settings. You can't set them if you wanted to.

Can't speak for optical as the ARC works well with my AVR.
post #4234 of 7199 Old 09-27-2013, 07:08 AM

Liked: 11
Think I am going to pick up the 65" S64 today from a local Costco. Does anyone know the dimensions of the box? I have a 2011 Jeep Cherokee and was wondering if I'd be able to get it in the back.
post #4235 of 7199 Old 09-27-2013, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by tocheeba View Post

We have a 50" Panasonic plasma right now, and just bought a new house - which is why I wanted the S64 65". It was a tough decision, since I knew 4K is right around the corner from being somewhat cost efficient - but since a 60"+ 4K TV won't be affordable ($1500) for a good quality set for quite some time, I bit the bullet and got this TV. Sure, some low end 4K tvs may see those prices in 1-2 years, but they will be Vizio, TCL, etc. - all of which will look like garbage compared to this set. It'll be a LONG time before 60"+ OLED 4K tvs are in this price range and look good.

Only other thing scaring me right now is the possibility of a better 2014 set. Does anyone know when these are typically announced? I have a 90 day return policy through SAMS club, so if they announce a TV that looks a lot better (even the bezel - I know they cut R&D), then I may hold out.
Go for it now - there will ALWAYS be a better, more advanced, cheaper set coming in a few months time. You'll just drive yourself crazy waiting for that better deal, instead of enjoying a great TV now!
gregleg and ToonMasterTim like this.
post #4236 of 7199 Old 09-27-2013, 09:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinva View Post

Think I am going to pick up the 65" S64 today from a local Costco. Does anyone know the dimensions of the box? I have a 2011 Jeep Cherokee and was wondering if I'd be able to get it in the back.
I dont know the dimensions but it wont fit. Bring a couple of blankets and take it out of the box and...hope.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #4237 of 7199 Old 09-27-2013, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinva View Post

I dont know the dimensions but it wont fit. Bring a couple of blankets and take it out of the box and...hope.

Box dimensions are in the user manual linked on page 1 of this thread. It won't fit in any SUV, even a full size one like a Tahoe, as someone here reported. It may fit in a full-size van or a full or extended bed pickup truck.

Sam's, however, currently offers free delivery on all TVs.
post #4238 of 7199 Old 09-27-2013, 10:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Sam's, however, currently offers free delivery on all TVs.
Even ones you buy at Costco? biggrin.gif

post #4239 of 7199 Old 09-27-2013, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon9887 View Post

Quote:

Ha anybody played with their sound settings (Surround, AI sound, and volume leveler) with their sound played through an AVR? I bought a Denon AVR a few years ago mainly for the Audessey equalization to prevent commercials from blasting my hearing, but it lowers all sound so much that I have to keep the volume cranked up pretty high. This TV's AI sound feature seems like it would level the sound for me instead of using the AVR to do that, however, I suspect this is only when using the optical out instead of it equalizing sound passed through HDMI from a cable box. I suspect the same with the Surround sound and Volume Leveler features. Being an audiophile purist, I also don't think I'd want simulated surround sound instead of native stereo sound so probably wouldn't turn on the surround sound feature.

When the set is sending audio through the ARC, it completely disabled all sound settings. You can't set them if you wanted to.

Can't speak for optical as the ARC works well with my AVR.

Anybody know if this is the same with HDMI 1? My AVR doesn't support ARC.

I think I have my cable box connected directly to my AVR via HDMI, however, connections to other devices can affect things as I discovered with my HDMI to DVI connection from my AVR to old HD CRT - it would reset my cable box every time I turned it on and it was a PITA to power cycle the box and change the menu settings from DVI back to HDMI and wait 30 seconds for the handshaking to take place every time I turned my TV on.
post #4240 of 7199 Old 09-27-2013, 04:20 PM

Annnnnnnd of course SAMS screwed me over yet again. My 2nd order got cancelled because they said none were in stock - even though after ordering, I called and they said they had 10 in stock. Bunch of morons over there. I called to ask why, they said they had none - and as I was on the phone, it went back in stock online. The rep said she showed none - so stupid. Asked me to place another order and wait to see if it's cancelled (which it will be).

Guess I'm waiting for 2014.
post #4241 of 7199 Old 09-27-2013, 04:22 PM

I've been following this thread for a while since I have a 50" S60 and I've seen it come up a few times about disabling the audio. Figured I'd register to post the solution I found online that works for me with my optical out to Sonos Playbar.

Turn off TV

Turn on TV

Hold the Vol - on the TV and quickly press "INPUT" on the remote at least 3x to enter Hotel Mode

Set Mode to "On"

Volume = 0

Vol. Max = 0

Press "RETURN" on your remote and turn off TV.

Power TV back on and verify settings have been saved.

Works great for me and I hope others find it useful.

post #4242 of 7199 Old 09-27-2013, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Annnnnnnd of course SAMS screwed me over yet again. My 2nd order got cancelled because they said none were in stock - even though after ordering, I called and they said they had 10 in stock. Bunch of morons over there. I called to ask why, they said they had none - and as I was on the phone, it went back in stock online. The rep said she showed none - so stupid. Asked me to place another order and wait to see if it's cancelled (which it will be).

Guess I'm waiting for 2014.

Maybe the online store is permanently out of stock and their inventory system just sucks. Your best bet is to visit a local store and have them deliver it for free.
post #4243 of 7199 Old 09-27-2013, 04:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Maybe the online store is permanently out of stock and their inventory system just sucks. Your best bet is to visit a local store and have them deliver it for free.
+1 If you know for sure thats what you want, cant you just go there and pay for it and they will deliver it when they can. Even if they dont have it in stock theyll take your money and deliver it when they get more stock.
Obviously not you TimeShifter.

post #4244 of 7199 Old 09-27-2013, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Quote:

+1 If you know for sure thats what you want, cant you just go there and pay for it and they will deliver it when they can. Even if they dont have it in stock theyll take your money and deliver it when they get more stock.

Make sure you call and verify they have one in stock and maybe can hold it for you to come in and purchase it. I don't their SOP, but even if the closest store you visit runs out of stock, they should be able to check their inventory system (or call the old fashioned way by phone) to see what nearby stores have inventory since it shouldn't really matter which store delivers it in your metro area.
post #4245 of 7199 Old 09-27-2013, 05:00 PM

No local stores have it, and they will not deliver it for free. They are being a pain in the ass to work with, and I won't be renewing my membership there. Too bad Costco doesn't have any left.
post #4246 of 7199 Old 09-28-2013, 07:53 PM

I need some help that I'm sure some of you owners could answer. I'd like to know if the S60 has Pixel Shifting, and if you can turn it off? Also, is there a noticeable noise when on or when bright pictures show up? I have a Pioneer Elite that I got awhile back and noticed both of the things I mentioned so I'd just like to know if the S60 will also have these. I just saw that the S60 is discontinued but I found a few places in stock. But on Panasonic's website I saw the S64. I think the only difference is it has the darker screen because of the mirror effect of the S60, which makes me want the S64 more. But I can't find any place that even used to have the S64. Does anyone know where I can buy one?

Thanks for any help, DWreck.

post #4247 of 7199 Old 09-28-2013, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Quote:

No local stores have it, and they will not deliver it for free. They are being a pain in the ass to work with, and I won't be renewing my membership there. Too bad Costco doesn't have any left.

Anyone who wants to get an S64 before the remaining inventory dries up forever should go to some local stores and see what they have in stock.

My local Costco had six new 65" S64s in stock in the TV section when i was there this afternoon.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #4248 of 7199 Old 09-29-2013, 03:46 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImDWreck View Post

I need some help that I'm sure some of you owners could answer. I'd like to know if the S60 has Pixel Shifting, and if you can turn it off? Also, is there a noticeable noise when on or when bright pictures show up? I have a Pioneer Elite that I got awhile back and noticed both of the things I mentioned so I'd just like to know if the S60 will also have these. I just saw that the S60 is discontinued but I found a few places in stock. But on Panasonic's website I saw the S64. I think the only difference is it has the darker screen because of the mirror effect of the S60, which makes me want the S64 more. But I can't find any place that even used to have the S64. Does anyone know where I can buy one?

Thanks for any help, DWreck.

The Panasonic TVs have the pixel orbiter and you can turn it off by setting it to Auto, oddly enough. I haven't noticed noise in bright pictures, but I may not be the best person to ask. The S64 (http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-65PS64) is the club version of the S60. However, it is different in that is has the AR (anti-reflective) filter of the ST60. It also has an Infinite Black, which Panasonic's page (http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-P60S60) doesn't list is available on the S60. From what I have found, including a YouTube video on what Infinite Black is, it is a difference in the panel's ability to dim the pixels, producing a deeper black (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXwm1CsUo1U). The S64 is available at Costco and Sam's Club stores. They are good deals but it does appear that stock is running out. My local Sam's already sold out a few weeks ago. Around Labor Day they had a sale and dropped the price by $130, which put it under $1200. A few days later the floor model was on sale for under $1000. These prices are on the 65" version. I got my 65" and I'm enjoying it immensely.
post #4249 of 7199 Old 09-29-2013, 04:37 AM

Thanks for the reply. I'll go ahead and check at my Costco and see if they have any in stock. I looked at the website and can't seem to find the model. I hope that doesn't mean they are out of stock...

post #4250 of 7199 Old 09-29-2013, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:

Thanks for the reply. I'll go ahead and check at my Costco and see if they have any in stock. I looked at the website and can't seem to find the model. I hope that doesn't mean they are out of stock...

It does not. As has been stated a number of times in this thread, Costco's Online Store is operated completely separate from their physical stores - what you see online has absolutely no bearing on what the local stores have in stock. Their online store hasn't had any for a while now, but during that time three of my local stores all had them in stock. It's like this every year.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
post #4251 of 7199 Old 09-29-2013, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonMasterTim View Post

The S64 is the club version of the S60. However, it is different in that is has the AR (anti-reflective) filter of the ST60. It also has an Infinite Black, which Panasonic's page doesn't list is available on the S60.

The S60 has the exact same Infinite Black filter as the S64 does despite it being omitted from Panasonic's website. You'll notice that Panasonic's web pages for the S64 and ST60 don't list the Anti-Reflective Louver Filter but that doesn't mean the TVs don't have it (they do).

Quote:
From what I have found, including a YouTube video on what Infinite Black is, it is a difference in the panel's ability to dim the pixels, producing a deeper black

That's not correct. "Infinite Black" is simply the term for black filter which is the sheet of dark tint that's bonded to the face of the Plasma Panel itself. It has nothing to do with the function of the panel or the pixels.

The ST60 has a completely different Plasma Panel (NeoPlasma) which is brighter than the regular panel used on the S60/S64, and the ST60 also has the Infinite Black PRO black filter that is darker than the black filter used on the S60/S64.
Cravit8 likes this.

Randy
post #4252 of 7199 Old 09-29-2013, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 39
What's the deal with the S60 looking DIM, flat and dull for bluray content with black extension and AGC set to 0 regardless if you have panel brightness set to high, it looks 2x as dim as my S30 did? honestly, i can't get it to look my previous plasma's other CRT's unless i belt up the AGC 6-7 and set the BE to 6 or 7 then it looks amazing. but i mostly see everybody on here setting both of these to zero. it just looks unimpressive to me, with it's bland grey haze, flat & dim picture. I'm using custom btw with gamma set to 2.4. Ah well i guess it's whatever works for you. even a couple of my friends that stopped by said it didn't look right, but once i belted up the AGC and BE they were in awe, looked similar to my Sony wega CRT but in HD.
post #4253 of 7199 Old 09-29-2013, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

I stopped by another local Sam's (Littleton, CO) yesterday and they had the 65S64 display model plus 2 boxes in stock. Right next to it were 2 70" LEDs and a 60" LED. Just having a quick look, while the picture appeared dim, the LEDs were very washed out and I could see more detail in the S64. There was noticeable reflection in the screen that I didn't notice in the LEDs - I can't imagine having an unfiltered S60 in anything other than a cave (windowless home theater room).
post #4254 of 7199 Old 09-29-2013, 12:12 PM

I have had the S60 for almost 2 weeks now with fairchilds initial settings. Picture is great and all, but I have noticed that ghosting is really bad when watching sports especially hockey and with the on screen menus. Any thoughts on this, is this something that is a given with plasmas? Thanks

post #4255 of 7199 Old 09-29-2013, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveBoy View Post

What's the deal with the S60 looking DIM, flat and dull for bluray content with black extension and AGC set to 0 regardless if you have panel brightness set to high, it looks 2x as dim as my S30 did?

From my limited testing, higher levels of black extension causes black levels to be crushed, which can provide a bit more of a punchy picture, but of course you will lose shadow detail. Now, if the display isn't properly calibrated to begin with and the brightness is not tuned right, then it may help. AGC causes the lower steps of black to have more information or pixels firing. Most people who are familiar with calibrations know that settings such as these which can vary and cause your results to be skewed depending on the content are a no go. The point of calibration is to have your display as accurate as possible, and when you throw settings such as AGC or Black Extension which dynamically can be changing what you see on the screen, it is not desirable. This is why when a display is going to be calibrated, all these extra settings are disabled 99% of the time.

Also, ABL is also way more annoying/aggressive since the AGC is constantly adjusting the gamma and you can see it very clearly especially if you use your display as a computer monitor as I do.

Sony 32" EX400 calibrated settings
Panasonic 50" S60 calibrated settings
HTPC/Sony S5100 to Sony HT-CT660 to Panasonic 55" VT60, Sony 32" EX400, Panasonic 50" S60
post #4256 of 7199 Old 09-29-2013, 02:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveBoy View Post

What's the deal with the S60 looking DIM, flat and dull for bluray content with black extension and AGC set to 0 regardless if you have panel brightness set to high, it looks 2x as dim as my S30 did? honestly, i can't get it to look my previous plasma's other CRT's unless i belt up the AGC 6-7 and set the BE to 6 or 7 then it looks amazing. but i mostly see everybody on here setting both of these to zero. it just looks unimpressive to me, with it's bland grey haze, flat & dim picture. I'm using custom btw with gamma set to 2.4. Ah well i guess it's whatever works for you. even a couple of my friends that stopped by said it didn't look right, but once i belted up the AGC and BE they were in awe, looked similar to my Sony wega CRT but in HD.
Make sure CATS is Off.

post #4257 of 7199 Old 09-29-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

It does not. As has been stated a number of times in this thread, Costco's Online Store is operated completely separate from their physical stores - what you see online has absolutely no bearing on what the local stores have in stock. Their online store hasn't had any for a while now, but during that time three of my local stores all had them in stock. It's like this every year.

You're right I called my local Costco and they have only 1 in stock. I'm going to run by and grab it. The S64 is $599 which is strange because I was going to get the S60 for $699. Could you tell me why it's cheaper? Maybe I missed something.

post #4258 of 7199 Old 09-29-2013, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You're right I called my local Costco and they have only 1 in stock. I'm going to run by and grab it. The S64 is $599 which is strange because I was going to get the S60 for $699. Could you tell me why it's cheaper?

Bulk stock/purchasing and membership fees (and probably salesmen with no AV knowledge or commission).
post #4259 of 7199 Old 09-29-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:

Bulk stock/purchasing and membership fees (and probably salesmen with no AV knowledge or commission).

I suppose that makes sense. That's that luckiest thing I've ever ran into. I go with $700, pay $600, and get the better model along with the last one in stock!

post #4260 of 7199 Old 09-29-2013, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 201
I bought the 50" S60 today from Sears for $668. It's an April 2013 build and has the latest firmware (2.211).

1-2-14 (~1134 hours of use):

PanasonicTC-P50S60PictureSettingsCinema.docx 17k .docx file

WB-ADJCINEMA.xlsx 12k .xlsx file
Attached Files
File Type: docx PanasonicTC-P50S60PictureSettingsCinema.docx (16.5 KB, 222 views)
File Type: xlsx WB-ADJCINEMA.xlsx (12.3 KB, 126 views)
dRwOOD73 likes this.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65s60 65 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P60s60 , Panasonic Tc P55s60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50s60 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P42s60
Gear in this thread - P42s60 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page