Official Panasonic S60 Series Discussion Thread - Page 145 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #4321 of 7328 Old 10-03-2013, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon9887 View Post

The key is varied content and reasonable sessions. I play all my games on my set and have no hint of IR what so ever. I have a built in defense mechanism when it comes to long sessions, after a few hours I just get the overwhelming compulsion to stop and do something else, been this way since my teens. So I guess I have that going for me.

I rarely game for more than 1.5 -2 hours at a time but if it was displayed on the tv, it would amount to 1/2 of the tv on time. That is probably too high a percentage, given the huds in the battlefield games. Maybe not, shrugs... I have a quality gaming monitor so it's not really necessary to game on my S64. A win-win, no IR on LCD monitor or on the plasma tv. JMO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4322 of 7328 Old 10-03-2013, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon9887 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRick View Post

My s64 has about 500 hours of operation and I have yet to game on it. I have no hint of IR on my tv. Looks like the smart choice is to continue gaming on my LCD monitor and save the S64 for tv viewing and blu ray.

The key is varied content and reasonable sessions. I play all my games on my set and have no hint of IR what so ever. I have a built in defense mechanism when it comes to long sessions, after a few hours I just get the overwhelming compulsion to stop and do something else, been this way since my teens. So I guess I have that going for me.

ADHD good for preventing IR? biggrin.gif
post #4323 of 7328 Old 10-03-2013, 02:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTimeShifter View Post

ADHD good for preventing IR? biggrin.gif
lol

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #4324 of 7328 Old 10-03-2013, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

I was gonna suggest he just change the cord to one with a built in switch. Easy enough to do. Probably be able to buy one at Lowes or Home Depot.

do you mean an extension cord?

UN46EH6030 Calibration/Settings
Display: Samsung UN46EH6030 LED-LCD TV; Sound: Yamaha HTR-3066 AVR/AMP, Sony Core Bookshelves (Sony SS-CS5) and Center (Sony SS-CS8) as fronts, Yamaha NS-AP2600S Satellites as surrounds, Dayton Audio SUB-1200 as subwoofer; Sources: PS4 (doubles as primary BD player), Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360, Motorola RNG150N (Cable Box)
post #4325 of 7328 Old 10-03-2013, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchild99 View Post

So I'm finally noticing some IR on my set that is well over 1k hours and probably closer to 2k hours. It's basically from the only game I've been playing recently and it's from the HUD. The IR i'm noticing is only viewable when I have an all white or gray background or how I noticed it which is by browsing these forums and while I'm typing out a message I can see the IR at the bottom of my screen because of the white Reply box. The IR looks like this example:

I can't say I've actually noticed it during actual video content, only during browsing the net while using my TV as a display device to my computer. My options are to start playing this game more on my 22" monitor (ewwww so tiny) or just try to play with lower contrast while mixing in some jscreenfix and varying content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred2004 View Post

Only easy solution is to get a cheap ~32'' screen for gaming. I have a little loft in my studio and I'm thinking about doing that, since it would also declutter the living room area (Xbox & PS3...soon to add PS4 & Xbox one).

That is exactly what I'm considering since I'd rather watch TV/Sports/Blu-rays than burn a stupid HUD into the screen.

Finally reached 100hrs of slides last night on the screen so I played Shadow of the Colossus on PS3 (HD version of the game) and it was awesome! It's great that the HUD for that game only comes on intermitently, which I was mindful of.

Off-topic, but Fallout? Shadow of the Colossus? There's a whole lot of good gaming taste happening in this thread.

I have yet to do any gaming on my S60 aside from some input lag testing (receiver vs. direct) but have not noticed any IR either. I have no idea how many hours of use I'm up to -- nor do I care.
Fred2004 likes this.
post #4326 of 7328 Old 10-03-2013, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Anybody else a little disappointed with the S60's brightness? My Sony wega 2005 trinitron clearly produces a brighter image, and the whites are actually white when using warm color temp unlike the S60's dirty warm whites in warm 2, and then there's the motion handeling....while good, still has a bit of blur. Not the best plasma i've tinkered around with in terms of motion.. I've also turned off Black extension and the AGC as they were giving the picture an abnormal artificial look, yet 'brighter' with more pop, but still unatural all the same but it DID brighten the image. I have panel brightness set to medium, because it seems like setting it to high ruins a tiny bit of that darker punch ness with shadow detail regardless of the overall slightly brighter picture.

Any tips on making the S60 brighter? Here are my current settings for film.

Custom

Contrast: 100
Brightness: 50
Color: 50
Tint:: 0
Sharpness: 65

Color temp: WARM2
Vivid Color: OFF
CATS: OFF
Video NR: OFF
MPEG NR: OFF

Panel Brightness: medium
Gamma: 2.4
Black Extension: OFF
AGC: OFF
Color Gamut: Normal

On the flip side, the color accuracy is fantastic once you dip into the Pro settings, gamma controls are a HUGE step up, the black levels are super deep and inky and the color gamut can get very wide. Just wish it were brighter, had whiter whites when using WARM2 for movies and offered superior motion handeling...Plus the last thing i need is that pesky ABL making the picture even dimmer.. I guess this is where the ST60 comes in. tongue.gif
Strictly for movies the Samsung 8500 or ST60 would of been my best bet, but i'm a Gamer(Cough*Nintendo) so once again i'm limmited by an HDTV's input lag performance.

Somebody let me know when LED's can produce motion on par with plasma, then i just might make the change again. :P I hear 'impulse' mode on Sony's most expensive LED this year improves on motion without any artifical soap opera-ish look, the downside? It decreases brightness, but by how much exactly?
post #4327 of 7328 Old 10-03-2013, 05:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

do you mean an extension cord?
No. A lamp cord. Something like this but with an On/Off switch.
http://www.amazon.com/Westinghouse-70105-Gold-Lamp-Cord/dp/B00002NACS/ref=sr_1_3?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1380843939&sr=1-3&keywords=lamp+cord

post #4328 of 7328 Old 10-03-2013, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

No. A lamp cord. Something like this but with an On/Off switch.
http://www.amazon.com/Westinghouse-70105-Gold-Lamp-Cord/dp/B00002NACS/ref=sr_1_3?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1380843939&sr=1-3&keywords=lamp+cord

thanks, but I was looking for something I could simply plug the existing lamp into and then put that into my surge protector

I guess I could get a second mini surge protector and plug that into the outlet directly (to avoid plugging a surge protector into a surge protector). I do have a free slot in the nearby outlet.

Display: Samsung UN46EH6030 LED-LCD TV; Sound: Yamaha HTR-3066 AVR/AMP, Sony Core Bookshelves (Sony SS-CS5) and Center (Sony SS-CS8) as fronts, Yamaha NS-AP2600S Satellites as surrounds, Dayton Audio SUB-1200 as subwoofer; Sources: PS4 (doubles as primary BD player), Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360, Motorola RNG150N (Cable Box)
post #4329 of 7328 Old 10-03-2013, 08:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

thanks, but I was looking for something I could simply plug the existing lamp into and then put that into my surge protector

I guess I could get a second mini surge protector and plug that into the outlet directly (to avoid plugging a surge protector into a surge protector). I do have a free slot in the nearby outlet.
How about something like this then.
http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-5410-Appliance-Feed-Through-3A-125V/dp/B000FPANMK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380853432&sr=8-1&keywords=inline+lamp+switch

post #4330 of 7328 Old 10-03-2013, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:

My fam has 2 different models of some RF remote to wall wart outlet we bought around November as the Christmas lights hit the stores. Cost ~$11 and been using it all year for outdoor lights. I'm pretty sure is exactly what you want.

PSN: Cravit8
XBL: oOo_Crav_oOo
post #4331 of 7328 Old 10-03-2013, 11:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got "The Last of Us" and saw ICO/SotC HD edition for $17...I couldn't resist. I have to say it's just as good as I remember only prettier! I can't wait for Deadrising 3, haven't played much since moving to Cali!

...sorry for the tangent wink.gif ...so many games are dark, can't wait to try them out (Dead Space, Bioshock etc.)
post #4332 of 7328 Old 10-04-2013, 03:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred2004 View Post

I got "The Last of Us" and saw ICO/SotC HD edition for $17...I couldn't resist. I have to say it's just as good as I remember only prettier! I can't wait for Deadrising 3, haven't played much since moving to Cali!

...sorry for the tangent wink.gif ...so many games are dark, can't wait to try them out (Dead Space, Bioshock etc.)

I purchased the Team Ico HD collection on day one for full price and couldn't be any happier. Shadow of the Colossus in particular is a huge upgrade from the original PS2 release as the last-gen hardware just couldn't keep up with the ambition of the developers. I loved the game, but slowdown/tearing was prevalent. The HD version is truly a labor of love and offers the experience that I believe the team originally intended, so enjoy my friend!

Concerning dark games, I've found shadow detail to be best when setting panel brightness to low and gamma to 2.2 in Cinema mode. Panel brightness mid and 2.4 gamma provides more "pop," but it just doesn't derive as much low-level detail -- even after playing with the w/b low cuts. Don't get me wrong, both setups perform incredibly well, but for claustrophobic survival horror games (and that damned hotel basement in Last of Us!) I think one would be glad to have any and every possible advantage.
Fred2004 likes this.
post #4333 of 7328 Old 10-04-2013, 05:21 AM
sfw

Quote:

I have question about my bias lighting setup. I have a desk lamp clamped on to the back of my TV stand with a 6500K CFL bulb in it. Since the 50" is quite a bit wider than the 46" Samsung LED-LCD I had before it, I can no longer easily reach back there to turn the lamp on/off. Is there a part I can buy with a switch on the plug end of the lamp and then put that part into my surge protector? Or perhaps something a little fancier with a remote control?

Possibly something like this would work slick, for example: http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Energy-Saving-Autoswitching-Technology/dp/B000P1QJXQ/. The TV could be plugged into to the master sensing outlet and the bias lighting into a slave; the lighting would go on and off automatically with the TV.
post #4334 of 7328 Old 10-04-2013, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly21029 View Post

I purchased the Team Ico HD collection on day one for full price and couldn't be any happier. Shadow of the Colossus in particular is a huge upgrade from the original PS2 release as the last-gen hardware just couldn't keep up with the ambition of the developers. I loved the game, but slowdown/tearing was prevalent. The HD version is truly a labor of love and offers the experience that I believe the team originally intended, so enjoy my friend!

Concerning dark games, I've found shadow detail to be best when setting panel brightness to low and gamma to 2.2 in Cinema mode. Panel brightness mid and 2.4 gamma provides more "pop," but it just doesn't derive as much low-level detail -- even after playing with the w/b low cuts. Don't get me wrong, both setups perform incredibly well, but for claustrophobic survival horror games (and that damned hotel basement in Last of Us!) I think one would be glad to have any and every possible advantage.

I think the difference in shadow detail you're seeing is because of the gamma setting not panel brightness (gamma affects shadow detail directly).

post #4335 of 7328 Old 10-04-2013, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravit8 View Post

My fam has 2 different models of some RF remote to wall wart outlet we bought around November as the Christmas lights hit the stores. Cost ~$11 and been using it all year for outdoor lights. I'm pretty sure is exactly what you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfw View Post

Possibly something like this would work slick, for example: http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Energy-Saving-Autoswitching-Technology/dp/B000P1QJXQ/. The TV could be plugged into to the master sensing outlet and the bias lighting into a slave; the lighting would go on and off automatically with the TV.

Cravit8, I think you are right about that being what I'm looking for. Do you know exactly what it's called?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found the right search term (https://www.google.com/search?q=Wireless+Remote+Wall+Outlets&oq=Wireless+Remote+Wall+Outlets&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&espvd=210&ie=UTF-8)

post #4336 of 7328 Old 10-04-2013, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I think the difference in shadow detail you're seeing is because of the gamma setting not panel brightness (gamma affects shadow detail directly).

Of course, but without changing both settings the picture becomes noticeably unnatural. (i.e 2.2 gamma with mid brightness and vice versa)
post #4337 of 7328 Old 10-04-2013, 02:49 PM

Liked: 26
So, what I'd like to do is run an optical cable from my S64 to my speakers.

Could I, say, have my PS3 connected to the TV via HDMI, and have the TV push the 5.1 sound to the speakers?
post #4338 of 7328 Old 10-04-2013, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I have a question about IR: My previous plasma - an 8 years old Phillips - moved the picture a few lines around both horizontally and vertically whenever the set was powered on or the input source was changed. (I noticed this when I taped a red dot where my gun sight will be when looking down on it to improve my run and gun in CoD smile.gif - next time I turned on the TV it was in the wrong position.)

My new S60 does not seem to do this when in overscan mode (I understand why this will not work when not in overscan.) Is there any other mechanism preventing IR on this set? I found a feature called 'pixel orbiter' but I do not notice it doing anything.
post #4339 of 7328 Old 10-04-2013, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PogueSquadron View Post

Could I, say, have my PS3 connected to the TV via HDMI, and have the TV push the 5.1 sound to the speakers?

I would be also interested in this. My XBox 360 has an optical out and also HDMI. Which one is the preferred set-up: send audio to the amp directly from the XBox, or through the TV and use the TV's optical audio output?
post #4340 of 7328 Old 10-04-2013, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:

I have question about my bias lighting setup. I have a desk lamp clamped on to the back of my TV stand with a 6500K CFL bulb in it. Since the 50" is quite a bit wider than the 46" Samsung LED-LCD I had before it, I can no longer easily reach back there to turn the lamp on/off. Is there a part I can buy with a switch on the plug end of the lamp and then put that part into my surge protector? Or perhaps something a little fancier with a remote control?

There used to be a popular power switcher square thing that you placed under a PC CRT in the 90s made by Kensington Microwave. It was a small pizza box shaped device with a switch and multiple outlets, like a power strip that fitted under your desktop PC. If you could find one of those, and place it in your AV cabinet under the TV, it would be convenient to be able to switch on/off the light without having to reach behind or down to the floor where the power strip is. I tried Googling, but couldn't find any old pictures and it's no longer on Kensington Microwave's web site. I think I may have one or two laying around at home - if I can find one, I'll take a picture and post it.
post #4341 of 7328 Old 10-04-2013, 07:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PogueSquadron View Post

No. What kind of speakers do you have that run off of a single optical cable?

post #4342 of 7328 Old 10-04-2013, 07:47 PM

It's a Sony BD player with 5.1 speakers.
post #4343 of 7328 Old 10-04-2013, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 246
With my S64 and xbox 360, to eliminate lag produced from my avr I purchased a special dongle that hooks up to the xbox 360 that allows Hdmi to the TV and optical to the avr or mainly my headset. The cheap aftermarket dongle was probably less than $5 on Amazon.
post #4344 of 7328 Old 10-04-2013, 09:36 PM

Well my goal was to have the HDMI switch on the TV, so I wouldn't really have to worry about switching inputs when playing games. The optical cable is running from the TV to the BD player (5.1 isn't really a necessity to be honest).

Turns out I can't get the PS3 to talk to the switch anyway. That, and the 360 lost a signal twice. I suppose I could get an optional AC adapter for the switch, but I'm not even sure if that would help.

I think I'm just going to go back to the way I had it, with the 360 and PS3 running through the BD player, and the Wii U through the TV. I'll still need some sort of switch or dongle to add another input for the PC, but I think I'll have to find something more reliable than what I have.

Anywho, was just hoping the TV could send a 5.1 signal to the BD player but it was just wishful thinking. Back to the drawing board I suppose.
post #4345 of 7328 Old 10-04-2013, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Edit: Nevermind
post #4346 of 7328 Old 10-05-2013, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 41
As far as gamma, brightness & whatever goes in Custom mode for Bluray, I've settled with....

Brightness: 47
Color temp: Warm 1 or 2

Panel Brightness: HIGH
Black extenion: OFF

Gamma: 2.2

Now it's looking very close to my Sony CRT....Well, aside from my S60 having dirty whites in Warm 2, with my CRT having bright 'white' whites in Warm, along with my CRT having the edge in Brightness(I won't mention motion, because as we all know nothing tops CRT, whoops.lol)

Now, i've done comparisons with Mirror mask on 2 DVD's with my 60" S60 & 27" Sony CRT and it seem like the CRT has a tiny bit more oomph,pop to shadowdetail/etching and what have you in textures ect. For ex, my S60 will display a lighter shade of brown in a wall, rock, or whatevers grooves, where as my CRT will display a darker shade. This gives my CRT a more sculpt, realistic and defined picture, with the S60 looking a teeny bit flat in comparison. Is there anything i can do to get this look, be it the color or w/b controls?
post #4347 of 7328 Old 10-05-2013, 11:56 PM

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveBoy View Post

As far as gamma, brightness & whatever goes in Custom mode for Bluray, I've settled with....

Brightness: 47
Color temp: Warm 1 or 2

Panel Brightness: HIGH
Black extenion: OFF

Gamma: 2.2

Now it's looking very close to my Sony CRT....Well, aside from my S60 having dirty whites in Warm 2, with my CRT having bright 'white' whites in Warm, along with my CRT having the edge in Brightness(I won't mention motion, because as we all know nothing tops CRT, whoops.lol)

Now, i've done comparisons with Mirror mask on 2 DVD's with my 60" S60 & 27" Sony CRT and it seem like the CRT has a tiny bit more oomph,pop to shadowdetail/etching and what have you in textures ect. For ex, my S60 will display a lighter shade of brown in a wall, rock, or whatevers grooves, where as my CRT will display a darker shade. This gives my CRT a more sculpt, realistic and defined picture, with the S60 looking a teeny bit flat in comparison. Is there anything i can do to get this look, be it the color or w/b controls?

Try the S64 settings I have in my signature, they are not 100% accurate but it uses the Warm1 WB that will give you "less murky" whites
ToonMasterTim likes this.
post #4348 of 7328 Old 10-06-2013, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 100
What is the objectively correct gamma setting on the 50S60?
post #4349 of 7328 Old 10-06-2013, 07:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post

What is the objectively correct gamma setting on the 50S60?
2.25 I believe.

post #4350 of 7328 Old 10-06-2013, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

I finally had my first bout of IR. I came home late on Friday night, ate the dinner that my girlfriend had prepared for me, and then watched some Netflix. Unfortunately, I fell asleep on the couch almost instantaneously. It was an episode toward the end of the season, so after running through a few episodes the banner asking if I "would like to continue watching Futurama" appeared. It sat on this screen for approximately three hours. I woke up, seen the screen, seen the time, and became anxious. I brought up the scrolling bar and -- as feared -- the text was plain as day on solid white. I left the pattern running and took my dog outside.

When I came back in approximately ten minutes later, the IR was eradicated completely. Not a single trace left. I do not know how many hours I have on the panel yet, but I've had it for two weeks and have been running near-stock Cinema settings. This accidental "torture test" seems to indicate that, for my habits, gaming shouldn't be an issue. Maybe I'll do a bit tonight. smile.gif
Fred2004 likes this.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65s60 65 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P60s60 , Panasonic Tc P55s60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50s60 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P42s60
Gear in this thread - P42s60 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page