post #4681 of 7128 Old 10-16-2013, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise 60 View Post

Hey guys, so after 6 weeks of looking for a tv to buy I pulled the trigger on the 60" s60 from best buy.

Anyways, when I pick it up will I be alright watching it out of the box with the cinema settings I see posted here, or will I be doing myself a great disservice not doing the 100 hour slides?

Thanks for any input.

Congrats, you will be fine.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4682 of 7128 Old 10-16-2013, 07:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Try a different HDMI cable.

Tried a different HDMI cable, and then this happens (don't know how to describe it, just flashing white stuff I guess).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMTSNr0CmiA

... I don't even know. These HDMI cables worked perfectly fine on my old TV. All of my cables did on my old TVs. This is the only TV where I've had so many problems. First plasma, but wow.
post #4683 of 7128 Old 10-16-2013, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanonFo View Post

Quote:

Tried a different HDMI cable, and then this happens (don't know how to describe it, just flashing white stuff I guess).

... I don't even know. These HDMI cables worked perfectly fine on my old TV. All of my cables did on my old TVs. This is the only TV where I've had so many problems. First plasma, but wow.

This only happens when you use the PS3 on the S60?

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #4684 of 7128 Old 10-16-2013, 11:27 PM

Liked: 53
Quote:

Quote:

Only on the Menu?

It's noticeable on the menu. Turning brightness down doesn't help it.

Also I see someone had their brightness at -18, my question is doesn't that crush blacks? Yeah it gets rid of some of the dithering, but then you can't see detail...

Couldn't get a picture yet of it since they don't stay in one stop long enough and my reaction time was bad, but here's some of the dithering and I'll see if you think it's normal

http://i.imgur.com/INrKIi4.jpg

The sparkling red and green things are different in that they pop up in random places every few seconds.

You should not be seeing any subpixel dithering on a 100% black screen, your screen must not be set correctly

1) Make sure your panel brightness is set to medium or low

2) Make sure that in your COLOR WB settings none of the "Low" values are set too high

3) Make sure your brightness is set to Zero or below.
post #4685 of 7128 Old 10-17-2013, 12:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 838
Quote:

Hey guys, so after 6 weeks of looking for a tv to buy I pulled the trigger on the 60" s60 from best buy.

Anyways, when I pick it up will I be alright watching it out of the box with the cinema settings I see posted here, or will I be doing myself a great disservice not doing the 100 hour slides?

Thanks for any input.
The slides are not necessary. Enjoy!

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #4686 of 7128 Old 10-17-2013, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenaniganz08 View Post

You should not be seeing any subpixel dithering on a 100% black screen, your screen must not be set correctly

2) Make sure that in your COLOR WB settings none of the "Low" values are set too high

I have all 3 of those covered. Brightness is even in the negatives.

I think the inputs on this TV must be busted since I had problems with component until I switched them out (and still have lines in some Wii games), and now my PS3 with 2 separate HDMI cables have separate problems.

Content hooked up via my computer looks OK. There's line bleeding, there's dithering, but apparently all normal. It's my game consoles that have problems. Well, not my Wii U, for the most part.
post #4687 of 7128 Old 10-17-2013, 12:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

Some times cables can get damaged when you unhook them end plug them back in.
That sure looks like a bad cable/connection/signal. Are you using a receiver? Try a 3rd HDMI cable. Maybe you have a bad HDMI on the tv. Have you tried a different tv HDMI?
Since you got a different problem when you changed the cable that leads me to believe its not a settings issue. In fact, thats almost certainly not a settings issue.

post #4688 of 7128 Old 10-17-2013, 01:04 AM

All the cables work on my Samsung TV and they worked on my Sony LED TV, too. I could try a third HDMI cable, but it's weird that the problem only exists on this plasma in the first place.

I have no idea, but do LEDs not pick up interference and maybe there's something in here that is screwing with it? I doubt it, sounds stupid.
post #4689 of 7128 Old 10-17-2013, 01:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenaniganz08 View Post

I have all 3 of those covered. Brightness is even in the negatives.

I think the inputs on this TV must be busted since I had problems with component until I switched them out (and still have lines in some Wii games), and now my PS3 with 2 separate HDMI cables have separate problems.

Content hooked up via my computer looks OK. There's line bleeding, there's dithering, but apparently all normal. It's my game consoles that have problems. Well, not my Wii U, for the most part.
Remember this is a tech forum and youre dealing with electronics. If you want help you should be as specific as possible as to what problems you are having.

post #4690 of 7128 Old 10-17-2013, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:

All the cables work on my Samsung TV and they worked on my Sony LED TV, too. I could try a third HDMI cable, but it's weird that the problem only exists on this plasma in the first place.

I have no idea, but do LEDs not pick up interference and maybe there's something in here that is screwing with it? I doubt it, sounds stupid.

This should not happen. I use my ps3 all the time and have never seen the errors in the picture that video showed. I have never had any issues on any input for that matter with any of my cables.

Also, follow fairchild's calibration settings exactly. If, using those settings, you still have the dithering on a black screen at anything lower than maybe -2 to -3 brightness then I'd say that is the nail in the coffin of your set being defective.

-1 on my set, with fairchild's cinema settings, is where the dithering is eliminated on a whole black slide or screen.

All that said, don't look really close at the picture of a plasma, you are just asking for trouble. smile.gif
post #4691 of 7128 Old 10-17-2013, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:

you could try attaching a ferrite core to the end of the HDMI cable near the TV's HDMI Input

also, make sure your cable is high speed and not damaged or bent at a sharp angle near the connector
post #4692 of 7128 Old 10-17-2013, 08:16 AM

Liked: 17
If you decide to buy new cables, let me plug the monoprice cables with RedMere. I bought a couple to replace the ridiculously thick and unwieldy 25ft monoprice cables I had running from my PC to the TV. The 20-25ft redmere ones are thinner than the charge cable for my phone, and work for 3D.
post #4693 of 7128 Old 10-17-2013, 09:05 AM

Liked: 10
are brightness levels for the s60 and st60 the same? or is one brighter than the other? how is this tv for standard definition videos, read a review stating this "Standard Def pictures produce a haze". also, can u play directly play mkv files on this with hard drive attached?
post #4694 of 7128 Old 10-17-2013, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnb44 View Post

are brightness levels for the s60 and st60 the same? or is one brighter than the other? how is this tv for standard definition videos, read a review stating this "Standard Def pictures produce a haze". also, can u play directly play mkv files on this with hard drive attached?

the ST60 is definitely brighter, but it you don't plan on using max brightness on either you may not care
post #4695 of 7128 Old 10-17-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

the ST60 is definitely brighter, but it you don't plan on using max brightness on either you may not care

ok thanks, do people actually use max brightness on these sets?
post #4696 of 7128 Old 10-17-2013, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ok thanks, do people actually use max brightness on these sets?

I did use max contrast for while (but with mid panel brightness, so technically not 100% max brightness) and found the image was too bright for dark room viewing (but good during the day)... however, I went back to default contrast in Cinema mode now (85) since the gamma near white was too low when I maxed contrast to 100 (which causes a lost in details in bright white areas of the image) and the panel was putting out a lot more heat at contrast 100.

I also noticed that once contrast is at 90 or so, each further click doesn't change light output at all when using 12% standard window patterns... so the overall image won't get brighter on the S60 in Cinema mode past contrast 90 or so.
post #4697 of 7128 Old 10-17-2013, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I should add that if your current TV is an LED/LCD, you will initially find the S60 (or most plasmas for that matter) to look a bit dim by comparison... but once you get used to it (and if you don't do much viewing in bright lighting conditions), it looks plenty bright except with scenes that have a lot of white in them. Those scenes with basically full-screen white will be much dimmer on a plasma because of ABL. However, on the plus side this effect makes it harder to get eye strain when watching TV in a dim or dark room like I do.
post #4698 of 7128 Old 10-17-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

I should add that if your current TV is an LED/LCD, you will initially find the S60 (or most plasmas for that matter) to look a bit dim by comparison... but once you get used to it (and if you don't do much viewing in bright lighting conditions), it looks plenty bright except with scenes that have a lot of white in them. Those scenes with basically full-screen white will be much dimmer on a plasma because of ABL. However, on the plus side this effect makes it harder to get eye strain when watching TV in a dim or dark room like I do.

how is this set for watching hockey? does the ice look grayish?
post #4699 of 7128 Old 10-17-2013, 01:54 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:

Thanks for any input.

Make sure to use Fairchild99's Cinema settings listed here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1461177/official-panasonic-s60-series-discussion-thread/1290#post_23290695

My only tweak was bumping the Contrast up to 86. Looks absolutely amazing once your set has a few hundred hours on it.
post #4700 of 7128 Old 10-17-2013, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:

Excellent, the ice looks exactly how it looks in the Stadium.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #4701 of 7128 Old 10-17-2013, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

Excellent, the ice looks exactly how it looks in the Stadium.

What color temp do you have it set to?

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #4702 of 7128 Old 10-17-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwidow View Post

Make sure to use Fairchild99's Cinema settings listed here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1461177/official-panasonic-s60-series-discussion-thread/1290#post_23290695

My only tweak was bumping the Contrast up to 86. Looks absolutely amazing once your set has a few hundred hours on it.

he has 2 settings for cinema...are you referring to his first settings? (brightness -1)
post #4703 of 7128 Old 10-17-2013, 07:00 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
he has 2 settings for cinema...are you referring to his first settings? (brightness -1)

Yes, that's the one I'm using (except with Contrast at 86 because I like a brighter picture).
post #4704 of 7128 Old 10-17-2013, 11:52 PM

OK with absolutely zero changes to the settings, I turned on my PS3 and TV again and there's no problems on the menu (for now).

I just... what? Nothing changed. The TV must be defective or something if absolutely nothing changed and it just fixed itself (for now, I am not optimistic it will stay like this). No sparkling red or green pixels or extremely extreme dithering.

And I'm changing all the settings to see if they reappear, but they're not.

Unrelated but, is a black screen supposed to be grey when using Non-Standard HDMI/RGB range?

EDIT: ......And now it's back. Oh man this is funny... on certain menu screens (that are black), for no real reason.
post #4705 of 7128 Old 10-18-2013, 05:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

OK with absolutely zero changes to the settings, I turned on my PS3 and TV again and there's no problems on the menu (for now).

I just... what? Nothing changed. The TV must be defective or something if absolutely nothing changed and it just fixed itself (for now, I am not optimistic it will stay like this). No sparkling red or green pixels or extremely extreme dithering.

Unrelated but, is a black screen supposed to be grey when using Non-Standard HDMI/RGB range?

EDIT: ......And now it's back. Oh man this is funny... on certain menu screens (that are black), for no real reason.
You never did say whether youre using an AVR or not. Youve tried all the different HDMI inputs on the tv?

post #4706 of 7128 Old 10-18-2013, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:

Plasma TV's are very fussy when it comes to the power they receive. If the tv is not getting clean power it could act up like this, that could also explain why it comes and goes (on peak, off peak etc).

If you can, try another circuit in the house (got a really long extension cord handy? :P)

Good luck.
post #4707 of 7128 Old 10-18-2013, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:

The ice looks gray in person, so it should also look gray on TV.
gregleg likes this.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #4708 of 7128 Old 10-18-2013, 07:11 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

The ice looks gray in person, so it should also look gray on TV.

As someone who started playing hockey at age 5, I have never seen a truer statement about this. Sadly the truth is some people don't want true to life. They just their whites to be blindingly bright white
post #4709 of 7128 Old 10-18-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkultra View Post

As someone who started playing hockey at age 5, I have never seen a truer statement about this. Sadly the truth is some people don't want true to life. They just their whites to be blindingly bright white

http://cbsnewyork.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/181765725.jpg

Great example of this.. look at the ice and then look at the big jumbotron.

Still IMO most Plasmas for hockey are more off white than that, it's not really a huge deal, I'd take it being slightly more off white in exchange for clear motion.
post #4710 of 7128 Old 10-18-2013, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Listen let's stop the utter tripe - plasma whites are horrendous & so is hockey .

I play hockey once a week In men's adult lge & the ice is crisp & sharp not paint white but it's white .

Stoppit
shenaniganz08 likes this.

Panny 55St60
Panny 55St50(gaming)
Sony 55 NX720
Samsung 42 Hpt(Plasma)
Panny 32Viera LCD (TX)
Klipsch surround
Denon HDMI Receiver
Bose Solo
Playstation4(BF4,Madden,Ghosts,NFS,KZ,FIFA)
XBox360
Ipad 1 & 2
Iphone 5S
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65s60 65 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P60s60 , Panasonic Tc P55s60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50s60 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P42s60
Gear in this thread - P42s60 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page